test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Private preview Players and exploitation

mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
edited November 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
As the title says since yous tarted with private early access these players have been exploiting players with their unfair information making 100 millions of ad using these exploits.

Since no punishments (unlike the Ravenloft exploits) have been handed out i recommend you PREVENT private preview players from using auction house during the private preview period. If they use ah on 2nd account they should then be perma banned. Exploitation should not be promoted and rewarded.
There are more than BIS players in this game
RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

Comments

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    Well.. it is not an exploit in the traditional sense, but it is a bit unfair.

With early information about what happens in the new mod you can predict how demand and prices will develop and use that knowledge to earn a lot of AD.
  • dontez1dontez1 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I would think that if you were given the opportunity to join the the Early Access your live account is now being watched/tracked by the devs in case you happen to break the NDA or exploit any info that you were privy too in said Early Access and would immediately lead to you being permanently banned.

Just saying..

Besides they probably don't give a "All Access Pass" to everything coming in the next Mod for this reason. Speculation and unfounded rumors lead to false narratives.
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    Why would the volunteer testers in closed beta agree to being locked out of regular game content? This would be a very good way for Cryptic to ensure they would get very few testers that know what they are doing. If the testers by chance get access to info they can earn a few mil ad on, they deserve it as gratitude for the work they do to give us better quality content.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • evemjevemj Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    I wonder if this "way of exploiting" other players with knowledge gathered inside closed groups was around when people were testing previous mods.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

Are you calling early access to information that the developers themselves wanted to provide to the testers exploitation?

That seems to be what you are suggesting but that statement is so unbelievably moronic i'm having a hard time convincing myself that is your actual argument.

His argument is: In the closed betas, behind NDAs, players can and do gain information about what's going to be good and bad in the next module. This gives them advance information: If a currently-bad enchantment will become BIS in the next mod, these players can buy it up while it's cheap and sell it once the rest of the player base learns that it's going to be BIS. If a currently-BIS item is going to get nerfed into the ground, they can sell their BIS item at current (high) prices to someone who doesn't know it's going to be bad in two months and is still paying BIS prices for it.

This is different from the usual Preview speculation because everyone can go on Preview and everyone can talk about what they see on Preview. Someone in the closed private NDA group can act on advance insider information and nobody, not even that person themself, can tell the non-NDA players that they're being ripped off by someone who knows something they don't.

Anyway. That's the dude's argument. And he's right, as far as it goes: it *is* possible to use advance knowledge like that to make a profit in a market like Neverwinter's. The bit he *doesn't* show is that anyone has done this, or that if there are people doing this that the profit is unfair or excessive compared to the testing/feedback time put in.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    lowjohn said:

Are you calling early access to information that the developers themselves wanted to provide to the testers exploitation?

That seems to be what you are suggesting but that statement is so unbelievably moronic i'm having a hard time convincing myself that is your actual argument.

His argument is: In the closed betas, behind NDAs, players can and do gain information about what's going to be good and bad in the next module. This gives them advance information: If a currently-bad enchantment will become BIS in the next mod, these players can buy it up while it's cheap and sell it once the rest of the player base learns that it's going to be BIS. If a currently-BIS item is going to get nerfed into the ground, they can sell their BIS item at current (high) prices to someone who doesn't know it's going to be bad in two months and is still paying BIS prices for it.

This is different from the usual Preview speculation because everyone can go on Preview and everyone can talk about what they see on Preview. Someone in the closed private NDA group can act on advance insider information and nobody, not even that person themself, can tell the non-NDA players that they're being ripped off by someone who knows something they don't.

Anyway. That's the dude's argument. And he's right, as far as it goes: it *is* possible to use advance knowledge like that to make a profit in a market like Neverwinter's. The bit he *doesn't* show is that anyone has done this, or that if there are people doing this that the profit is unfair or excessive compared to the testing/feedback time put in.

If that is the case, what OP proposed will not stop that. One can just use another account to do that. Anything that is buy/sell able in AH can be done in different account and transfer to/from the main one.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • siggstarsiggstar Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    And why do ppl have to be upset that some persons playing this game volunteer for free to help the devs to make the game better? Even if they are a special group that are invited they are doing this because they provide feedback based on real (not fake) facts. Most of them (I hope) don't do this for personal profit. They do this to make the game better. Most of them have contributed by writing guides and analysing the dmg formaulas in the game. I started palying this game in 2014 .. and quit the game in 2014 ... but back then I had found a website that gave me information about how the game mechanics works regarding combat.

This site still existing and provide the most current and analysed data of the game. In my word I think it's fantastic that this person is in to closed beta providing feeback and helping devs to avoid BIG mistakes ( I know , never happened in NW ...) .
    Do you all out there really think that the ppl in closed beta are there for making AD?

Shame on you then!
    Halvulv the Barbie

If that is the case, what OP proposed will not stop that. One can just use another account to do that. Anything that is buy/sell able in AH can be done in different account and transfer to/from the main one.

He addressed that: "If they use ah on 2nd account they should then be perma banned."

Anyway. I don't agree with the guy, but I understand what he's saying and am happy to play translator.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    As far as I'm concerned, anyone that spends weeks testing content in closed early access preview is free to make some fake money in the game using advance information.

People come in here complaining about certain people having early access to info. Meanwhile, some of those people are making guides for those that can't figure things out for themselves, dealing with bugs, dealing with devs, putting in actual man hours of play testing instead of relaxing, all for no actual monetary gain.

Yeah. They can make all the AD they want. I salute them for dealing with the game in a worse state than anyone ever sees on preview or live. They've earned it. Quit crying.
  • oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

snipped

Thanks, you missed the point.

I wasn't actually asking what the OP's argument was, i was trying to figure out if this person is trolling and i am hoping that they are.

You can be butt hurt and complain about closed preview testers all you want, but calling for them to be perma banned or barred completely from a portion of the game because they are *exploiting* others with information... excuse me? Being given information under NDA by the developers themselves that may possibly maybe somehow sometimes benefit you with reselling a few items earlier than other resellers is now exploiting? That is levels of stupid that i can only pray i will never encounter again ( meaning i'd have to stay away from this forum but oh well ).
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Take it as a salary. And stop your HAMSTER
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    I am okay with beta testers gaining a slight advantage in the AH for their time making the game better. The testers not only play the game, they're also expected to provide feedback.

lowjohn said:

snipped

Thanks, you missed the point.

I wasn't actually asking what the OP's argument was, i was trying to figure out if this person is trolling and i am hoping that they are.
    My bad. I figured when you asked "are you calling having information exploitation? It seems you are but I can't believe that's your argument" that me saying "nah, that's not his argument. He's complaining about them USING that information on live, not just having it in advance" might be a useful thing to add.

Sarcasm doesn't travel well on text and I didn't realise you were being rhetorically confused and not actually confused. I apologise.

(In general, I'm with you: Yeah, they get a little advance warning and a chance to make a little fakemoney with insider trading. It's not relevant amounts and it's a reasonable compensation for closed-beta-player hours.)

• bobby4700bobby4700 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 179 Arc User
    I have played over 5 years and have seen many times there was change in prices on ah before a mod is released on pc. Just recently u seen companions change at that time a month before release u could get a bullete pup for less than 70 k AD . all the sudden they went up to a mill+ ad then went back down month or so after release to around 600 k ad. so ya there is AD being made by some and lost by others , but what can u do about it .Make AH unavailable for all while testing till after release ? not re
    ally a good idea for game so u got do like most watch AH see whats changing .
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    What he is saying essentially they are engaging in what wall street terms is called INSIDER TRADING. That a person, that has inside information, not readily available to all, uses that information to enrich themselves. He is correct that it isn't ethical, but is it a rule breaker? IDK. *Martha Stewart was not jailed for her insider trading, she was jailed for lying to the SEC about her insider trading. How in this game are they going to track it?

*Martha took a tip from her friend that owned a pharmaceutical company that was attempting to market a anti-cancer drug. The FDA disapproved the drug after clinical trials. Since it was essentially the only real drug they had developed, the news that it wasn't approved, it was going to make the stock tank out and the company fold. He called all his family and friends Friday night alerting them that Monday FDA would make public it's findings by late morning. This gave all those that he told INSIDE INFORMATION that wasn't available to all the stock holders, those that knew got to sell the stock at a high amount (Martha included), those that didn't have the info, had to sell for pennies on the dollar. She got out, made a profit, lied when asked about it but her broker was in the hot water as well and he rolled on her.

So, do we even have a SEC like functionality in this game? Is it so bad that we need to? I agree it's low to screw over other players because you have inside info that others don't but is it a rule breaker?