test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Newbie with Issues

I am not a very experienced gamer. I played EQ for 3 or so years, SWTOR for 3 or so years, and some Dragon Age in with that. I love Neverwinter so far, but I am having trouble getting a hang of the controls. I have a hard time moving, attacking, looting.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!
Hello! I am Aimsly

Comments

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Took would like to help but the question is pretty vague.
    Have you completed the entry/orientation quest ("Washed Up on Shore" or whatever it's called with Private Wilfred).
    That has a very detailed "How To" for the controls.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Wilfred got memory holed.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User

I am not a very experienced gamer. I played EQ for 3 or so years, SWTOR for 3 or so years, and some Dragon Age in with that. I love Neverwinter so far, but I am having trouble getting a hang of the controls. I have a hard time moving, attacking, looting.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!

As with most things proficiency comes with experience, hang in there and eventually it becomes second nature.

The tutorial and beginning quests I think are meant to give a player practice in using the controls before the game gets tougher and a more rapid response is required.

As for interacting with chests or other articles in your map, when you step up to something you should get a pop up that says "press F to interact", so simply pressing the "F" button on your keyboard should open what needs to be opened or talk to the NPC that needs to be talked to...

The "attack" function is by default tied to the left button of your mouse or mouse pad (game's pretty hard to play without a mouse).

Other than that the "W", "A", "S" and "D" keys are pretty standard for character movement. Just hold down on the "W" key and use your mouse to turn to the direction you want to travel.

DD~
  • clostar#7952 clostar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Thanks y'all. Aimsly is running the entry quest right now. It is getting easier. It's just a little different from games I am used to.
    Hello! I am Aimsly
  • aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Welcome to Neverwinter. :-) WASD keys to move around, W will be the one you use the most just to move forward, W plus shift to dodge out of the way (depending on what class you are playing, but shift is what does that), and hover over any item and it will tell you to use F key to interact. Bear in mind that you are able to change all keys to any other key you find easier for you. In my case I did not like the mount key (used in battles when you have a legendary mount to trigger a special combat power) being on the 7 key, it was too far out of my way, so I switched it over to the ` key which is right next to the 1 and 2 which are my daily power keys and it is much better for me that way and I don't have to reach and look down to find out where it is in the middle of heavy combat. If you are in the game and hit ESC a menu will appear, click options and you can find a section under gameplay (from memory) where all the keybinds are. You can move any key to another one which suits you if you don't like where it is already, they are not set in stone. You can also save the changes as a loadout under save/load UI in case you need to refresh settings and want your keybinds back again, and if you make a mistake you can always reset to default easily.

But the most important one for you right now is "show quest path" option which may or may not be enabled. I know when I started playing a long long time ago, I didn't even know there WAS a path I could follow and spent many hours running around lost looking for what I needed to find, and I wasted a lot of time. It should be the Z key, but sometimes it is not enabled as that, so look under keybinds and scroll right down to 'show quest path' and see if it has anything listed in it, if not make it a Z cause that is what is supposed to be. After it is working, when you toggle Z on and off the quest path will appear (sparkly pathway) and you simply follow the path to where you need to go. You can set a temporary waypoint by opening your map (M key) and clicking anywhere on the map, when you close the map the path will then take you to where you have clicked. To remove, open your map again and either click "clear waypoint" tab top right or just click the map a second time until the waypoint has gone off the map. If you open your quest journal (J key) and put a checkmark next to a quest, the path should take you to where you need to go for that quest and also show up on the list on the right at the top. You can also move all the things around on your screen if you don't like where they are by hitting ESC then 'rearrange HUD' and dragging the cells around, hit ESC again to save and exit.

Last tip of the day, when you get your first artifact (you'll find out what that is later on) get the Auroras catalogue, no matter what anyone tells you. They will say "get the lantern" get this or get that, and yes, those are better for fighting but you can also buy them from the Auction House later for Astral Diamonds anyway. When you start out you are always short of gold (which you need for healing potions and injury kits) and bag space. As you run around doing your quests, you will be constantly upgrading your gear as new gear drops for you and you will need to get rid of the old gear or have it clogging up your limited bag space. And if your bag is full you can't pick up new loot on the way which you can also sell so at some point you have to just ignore things which drop and leave them there which is a waste. Rather than just discarding things, if you have the seller artifact, you can not only buy potions from it, but you can sell to it as well. It's not the buying things from it which is what you need, it's the selling to it. Instead of having to run all the way back to a vendor somewhere to get rid of a couple of items to make room for new ones, you can call the seller wherever you are on the go, and sell your old things for gold and make room as you move along your quests. I have had 6 or 7 characters over the years and after the first time I got the catalogue, I found it so useful that I made it a habit to always get it as my first artifact after that and I never regretted it. As I said, you can always get the other ones as well (even at the same time as you get that first one) from the Auction House and they are cheap as anything so ignore anyone who tells you it's not a good choice as your first free one. Get the seller one first because you will use it all the time. :-)
  • clostar#7952 clostar Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thanks so much, that was really helpful!
    Hello! I am Aimsly
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,212 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    One of the important movement key that new user tends to miss is 't'. It will let you start moving and navigating using the mouse without holding the W key.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***