test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What has changed?- Too many people abandoning tiamat trial

spiorad#4889 spiorad Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited November 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
I have only been able to complete 1 of the last 5 queues for tiamat, people keep voting to abandon less than 1/2 way through. Something must have changed, keep seeing many abandons over and over for last couple of weeks.
did something get nerfed or did tiamat get harder? My toon is item lvl 20k dps, im personally no seeing any reason for the abandons.

Is getting to be a waste of time when you have to wait 1/2hr to queue, then play trial for 15min just to have everyone quit.

Comments

• rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    If people leave in the middle, they came to a conclusion it is pointless to continue.

There are usually just 2 possible rounds, otherwise you will run out of time. If the first round left 2 heads untouched and 3 overkilled, your chances are bleak. It is amplified by the fact that the white Tiamat head is a killer, effectively consuming more time than any other. Nobody knows how to use the white gem (seriously, even the way it can be used does not help much) - and as tanks tend to stand right under the nose instead of sniping from afar, it ends up in wipes with the area inaccessible to the melee dps. (the fun part is, at least in my graphic settings, that the leftover icy area has no longer any indication - and kills within 2 tics)

So yeah, people leave because it is usually plain clear that it is pointless to try anymore. What changed is that now people can judge the progress of the run better.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    You need strong DPS to carry most new players from my observation. Most high dps players don't bother with the public random queue and instead form pre-made groups.

So you end up with really new players.

As Tiamat is still a DPS check, there is a high failure rate if there aren't enough DPS with the necessary firepower.

Too many failed instances, and people remember that. So they end up not bothering with an instance with a high failure rate.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    When a queue has no entry requirements ( Trial queue ) you will get people that queue up with placeholder characters expecting a hard carry, if they don't get one they afk or try to abandon. A team of properly played 16-17k item level DPS characters with well distributed stats is more than sufficient for a 2 phase completion in Tiamat but that isn't something you will find in randoms very often.

The problem is most competent players don't bother playing Random queues on their DPS characters due to long queue times ( unless in a 2 - 3 + person premade that covers all the bases to guarantee a successful run ) so if there are any competent players in the instance they are most likely on a Support character and those are mostly useless in Tiamat.
  • xenocide#6119 xenocide Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    > @ezariel said:
    > The problem with Tiamat right now is the white head.
    >
    > 1. People don't understand how the white gem works. It does not protect you from the breath like even the experienced players think it does. It merely removes the frozen state if you somehow manage to survive it.
    >
    >

No, the white gem is bugged and does not work. So your melee dps can't attack while it's breath is active.

The only way around this is to have your party attack in the left side of his head so when he uses his dragon breath your melee dps have room on the right side of his head to attack
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    akemnos said:

White gem works just fine.

Correct. People mistakenly pop it before the dragon breathes in anticipation. You have to pop it after it freezes people. You also can't get hit by the breath obviously or you'll be frozen. Timing is critical too since the longer people are frozen the more likely they are to die.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    akemnos said:

White gem works just fine.

The white gem would work just fine if the DoT were not so deadly. Remember that there are not many classes that can jump a long distance and some even have to skate the way thorough.

• akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    no need to jump far. just get into the area at all and pop it and it will remove the entire area.
  • spiorad#4889 spiorad Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    well not going to bother with tiamat, whether from random or trial queue until there is an official fix. is just a waste of time.

well not going to bother with tiamat, whether from random or trial queue until there is an official fix. is just a waste of time.

An official fix for what?

A visual glitch on one of the five dragon ground AoE's does not a broken instance make. Find a friend, grab 1 green and 1 white gem and stop complaining. People sucking is not the fault of the developers or the content.
    Thanks for the suggestion, currently you cant finish the trial by just by "finding a friend".

From the useful input on this thread, I would personally guess that reducing the number of people would seem to be a problem. Yup, it's true that some people get carried, don't know how to use gems, or dont know how survive the white dragon. (That's the kind of things that happen in a MMO)
    but
    Bottom line is that if people keep abandoning - for whatever reason, then there is obviously something that needs to be adjusted.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited November 2019

Thanks for the suggestion, currently you cant finish the trial by just by "finding a friend".

From the useful input on this thread, I would personally guess that reducing the number of people would seem to be a problem. Yup, it's true that some people get carried, don't know how to use gems, or dont know how survive the white dragon. (That's the kind of things that happen in a MMO)
    but
    Bottom line is that if people keep abandoning - for whatever reason, then there is obviously something that needs to be adjusted.

In my opinion its just a symptome of a bigger problem of the game right now - too many new players fighting through queues alone while vets are either running premade/not running queues/on a break right now.
    Before M16 Tia runs could also fail / need many phases if ppl split up, didn't know the mechanics. It wasn't that often, of course, but it could happen too.

If I run tia premade now its as flawless as I'm used to, and I actually don't mind the changes to it too much. If you got ppl actually going for all souls / most souls and talking, as it is a thing in premade, it is still super easy.
    But EVERYBODY is doing RTQ. Really. Everybody. We have so many new players that started the game in M16 that were actually scared to do RTQ because they heard it fails all the time, and now they run premade and all is well. In a party with nearly only new players there is next to no coordination. It has to fail, and in my opinion some of the RTQs I have seen I WANT to fail, because thats the only way ppl actually learn something in this game now. People can't only do UM and MEs and think they are fine in all queues suddenly. No offense, just my two cents.
    - bye bye -
    lots of good input on this thread
    Member the days when you had to coordinate with 20 other randoms to enter the Trial at the exact same time during the brief period entering was even possible in order to have a snowball's chance in hell of actually finishing?

I member.
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    yep i remember the door crashing and hoping that you could get into a decent instance with at least a couple of other teams that knew what they were doing.

Damn, kids have it easy these days. Back in the day we didn't have no fancy queue system to get in :)
  • mythdemeanourmythdemeanour Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I generally run the RTQ as a healer to get the extra rAD, so I have seen great groups and VERY poor groups. My take on it is this. Most times it is a HAMSTER shoot on if there is enough DPS to do Tiamat. When most of the time nobody grabs, or knows how to use, the gems, it makes it take to long to finish, thus it fails far to often. I have a rogue that runs Tiamat occasionally too, just to burn keys, so I know it is possible to burn the heads quickly if you are built for it, they need to increase the iLVL too IMO.

I personally, just abandon if we don't make it past the third head on the initial run. I would rather take the hit on the 30 minute cool-down than spend 15 minutes to see it fail again. As has been said the white head is difficult if not done right (something that happens far to often) it takes longer and if not killed quickly it will fail. As a side-note I will also abandon if I see a group of
    players trying to finish the heads off in the first round. Seriously watch a VIDEO first!
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

As a side-note I will also abandon if I see a group of
    players trying to finish the heads off in the first round. Seriously watch a VIDEO first!

Sorry to say, but such generalization is your loss. Every group I was on (alliance, lots of new players), and I do try to do these random trial things for easy RAD, we will always try to get the heads first round (and many times succeed). And I'm yet to see a run that will fail, the worst case is second round kill.

Yes, I know how it works, the I did tiamat what it was 90 runs for a boon per char, in old channels with timed instances or a caller who will check when a new instance should open.

The reason is simple, it only takes a bit cat herding (by someone, doesn't matter who), and some pointers for new player to get enough gems, and a good chance for a single phase kill. The risk of those 15% HP spare on second phase is well worth it.
  • mythdemeanourmythdemeanour Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

As a side-note I will also abandon if I see a group of

Sorry to say, but such generalization is your loss. Every group I was on (alliance, lots of new players), and I do try to do these random trial things for easy RAD, we will always try to get the heads first round (and many times succeed). And I'm yet to see a run that will fail, the worst case is second round kill.

Yes, I know how it works, the I did tiamat what it was 90 runs for a boon per char, in old channels with timed instances or a caller who will check when a new instance should open.

The reason is simple, it only takes a bit cat herding (by someone, doesn't matter who), and some pointers for new player to get enough gems, and a good chance for a single phase kill. The risk of those 15% HP spare on second phase is well worth it.
    If there is enough DPS then sure go for it, if you think you don't need the DPS elsewhere, fine. But this is the exception and not the rule. Most times going past the 3rd bar on damage is unnecessary and can (should) be finished off in the next round as they will just regen to there anyways. As for herding cats, it would be nice, but as there is normally nobody willing "take the lead" and I personally can't type while playing as I use a keypad, I would prefer if people just watched a video first to get the just of it.
    had to learn from outside video as well, did several runs initially before knowing anything about the gems.
    no complaint there, I have no problem with there being complex or multi-stage runs.
    and personally have only seen someone typing tips once. which was of course helpful.

all that being said, with all the excellent input from everyone on this thread - there still is an increase in abandons ( yup, mostly by the third head) that needs to be resolved somehow.

all that being said, with all the excellent input from everyone on this thread - there still is an increase in abandons ( yup, mostly by the third head) that needs to be resolved somehow.

I like your attitude - if people are too terrible to do it, developers should nerf / change it. Sounds like a good long term plan for a healthy game.

To quote the wonderful Lassor: *Get good*.
    Abandoning by the third head? It's good that nowadays people cut out and run at that point knowing they'll fail. The alternative would be improving their character/gameplay I guess but that's work.

Why, in my day, you could fail Tiamat in the closing seconds because of the stupid clock run off before the "you have defeated tiamat cutscene" taking up an additional 6+ seconds. Imagine defeating the final head with 6-7 seconds left but still failing because of a clock runoff.

As gamers, we get spoiled after awhile and it's easy to forget something was at one time hard. It's also easy to forget that after awhile you might not want to deal with certain things.

On the other hand, I also remember people abandoning Tiamat if it looked like it would take more than 1 pass to kill the heads. Everyone wanted to grind it out as fast as possible to get those 80(?) linu's favors.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User

When a queue has no entry requirements ( Trial queue ) you will get people that queue up with placeholder characters expecting a hard carry, if they don't get one they afk or try to abandon. A team of properly played 16-17k item level DPS characters with well distributed stats is more than sufficient for a 2 phase completion in Tiamat but that isn't something you will find in randoms very often.

The problem is most competent players don't bother playing Random queues on their DPS characters due to long queue times ( unless in a 2 - 3 + person premade that covers all the bases to guarantee a successful run ) so if there are any competent players in the instance they are most likely on a Support character and those are mostly useless in Tiamat.

Bc you cant carry a group of noobs with a heal, if the problem is DPS, I take the longer que time and go with a dps char. Thing is, two well geared dps characters could most likely duo Tiamat. Sadly the quality of RQ groups gets worse every day.

If there is no chance, to finish a dungeon/ Tiamat run, I abandon it. If I see an absolute lack of contribution by my teammembers, due to lack of dps, heals, tanks who cant take/hold aggro and no gems used, I leave.

The solution to the problem here is a higher min IL and not dumbing everything down, so the last warrior princes, who picks gear due to IL/ looks can finish the dungeon.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    IL is the most garbage way of gating content in this game that i could ever imagine. You can be 26k ilvl and a 22k ilvl can kick your HAMSTER upside down. ILV just becomes obsolete once you are capped in offences (for dps) and have relatively similar power stat to a higher ilvl person.

They should instead gate content behind a mixture of power and ilvl. Not sure how this should work out for tanks that do not necessarily want to go high power, maybe HP can be used for them instead of power?
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    sobi#1980 said:

They should instead gate content behind a mixture of power and ilvl. Not sure how this should work out for tanks that do not necessarily want to go high power, maybe HP can be used for them instead of power?

Which is why they use a simpler, one-check mechanic to get in places.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    sobi#1980 said:

IL is the most garbage way of gating content in this game that i could ever imagine. You can be 26k ilvl and a 22k ilvl can kick your HAMSTER upside down. ILV just becomes obsolete once you are capped in offences (for dps) and have relatively similar power stat to a higher ilvl person.

I'm going to go ahead and jump forwards into the future world you've allowed me to peer in.

[insert random stat/measurable] is the most garbage way of gating content in this game that i could ever imagine. You can be [insert random stat/measurable of monstrously high value] and a [insert random stat/measurable of a modestly high value] can kick your HAMSTER upside down. [insert random stat/measurable] just becomes obsolete once you realize that even at same stat levels, skill still trumps stats.

No systems is perfect. No system will ever be perfect and your idea is just a deviation of item level gating. I've seen people get smoked with 20-30k more power and the right gear than someone else.

What's next? Powers/Rotation checks before you can queue? IL works fine for the purpose it serves. Throwing together 5 random people that decided to pug content.