test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maybe it’s time we lowered our expectations

autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User

All good things must come to an end and I think we are seeing this unfold before us now in NW.

Everyone knows that online games don’t last forever. They live in cycles and even the very best will wane and are eventually shuttered. This sadly applies to NW as well.

To be clear, I am not blaming anyone for what looks like the inevitable and even if the end is not as close as I fear, we are closer to the end than we are the beginning now. This is something we all need to accept.

Most of us know that NW is running with a much smaller staff and less resources than it has in the past. This is something that happens to all games as they near their end run.

Neverwinter, as much as it is an adventure to us, is a business and a business has to make money and not just some money. It has to be able to support itself with some leftover for the future. It is clear, by the cutbacks and other things we have seen recently, that right now, NW is being held together by duct tape, bandaids and a lot of wishful thinking.

I see so many people complaining, including myself, about the current state of Neverwinter and I know, deep down, that it really doesn’t matter at this point. I think it’s time we all just take a deep breath and play on the best we can.

We can’t change what’s coming. It’s clear that the powers that be have no intention of making NW right again. That being said, we can still enjoy it for what it is now. It may not be what it was, but there is still some fun in it, some room for enjoyment and a few more unknown roads to travel down on our adventure.

Perhaps, if we can stop shouting at what’s wrong and enjoy the time we have left in Neverwinter, we can look back on this as a journey well loved in our memories.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts

Comments

• demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Well i have a new gaming pc.. what else is there to play?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Good call, I'm trying. I actually found more joy in messing around with my alts and chatting for hours than I had in playing content since M14.

In the end, we might still be around for a while. "Sinking Ship"-comments have been around for as long as I've played the game, and while it feels more real for me now, they are going to ride the NW train as long as it pays, and it might still do so. Who knows. Maybe slowly running out of content, a mod a year or whatever, it might still make enough money. And it was a good cash cow for a while I'm sure, I bet nobody will pull the plug too fast on this game.

The only question everybody got to ask themselves (me too, of course) is, if they can live with NW as it is right now, without the (imaginary) better outlook that things could change a bit, be better or more exciting again.

- bye bye -
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    You have expectations?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    greywynd said:

You have expectations?

Imaginary minimum expectations sometimes.
    Like, you let your fantasy run wild.
    Sometimes I fantasize about testing making sense, kinks being ironed out...
    - bye bye -
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    @autumnwitch

While I like overall sound of your post I am sorry but I must disagree with a one of your statements.

All good things must come to an end and I think we are seeing this unfold before us now in NW.

Everyone knows that online games don’t last forever. They live in cycles and even the very best will wane and are eventually shuttered. This sadly applies to NW as well.

First of all there are games that last in a pretty good shape since their release - WOW is perfect example - just take a look on "classic" release few weeks ago.

Yes I am aware that there is huge difference between Blizzard and Perfect World/Crytpic
    BUT Blizzards is where it is mainly becouse of how they menage to run and keep WoW working.
    It wasnt like great company decided to create a good game - its opposite - a good game they created make them great company.

There is another example - The Elder Scrolls Online - game release was pretty much a failure, then its initial year or so was - I guess I wont be wrong if I call it a catastrophe. Still they menaged to REWORK entire game, change the approach to customers and they not only save a game, but make it flourish.

Another important point - Neverwinter is based on D&D. That alone gives it a huge advatage. Not only as D&D setup is more then popular but also - they already have tons of background stories, novels etc that can be used as solid base for years of developmnet - they dont have to figure it out - its out there - jaust peek-code-release.

So as above examples show - there was a chance, and there is a way to keep MMO game up and running.
    I am aware that now its much harder then lest say 5 years ago- still some companies can do that.

Sadly Cryptic is not such a company.We do not know all behind a scene stuff here, but somehow I bet that this game had a great chance to be great - just remind yourself a gateway and foundry - there was a huge potential, I bet there was a period in witch it bringed a lot of profit - This game was really one step from greatness - and it was wasted.

In one of my posts somewhere else on this forum I even raised a hypothesis that this game from its very begining was meant to work like advertisement platform for D%D latest products. And becouse of this it newer rised to a position of great MMO game - where it should be.

There is simply no other explanation of such a waisted oportunity, but inetntional act.

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User

Imaginary minimum expectations sometimes.
    Like, you let your fantasy run wild.
    Sometimes I fantasize about testing making sense, kinks being ironed out...

...before it is dropped on live.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User

Well i have a new gaming pc.. what else is there to play?

wait for MTG i guess
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    lardeson said:

wait for MTG i guess

As far as what I have seen in NW, if they actually work on something, one developer does not know what the other does - and both have no idea what the concept of their own game is supposed to be.

Claiming that the different name of the game changes the company abilities actually belongs to some extremely high expectations.

• finalfantasyac7finalfantasyac7 Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by finalfantasyac7 on
    Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

¨˜ˆ”°¹~•-.„¸ρℓαуιиg иєνєяωιитєя ѕιи¢є 2015¸„.-•~¹°”ˆ˜¨

• lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

lardeson said:

wait for MTG i guess

As far as what I have seen in NW, if they actually work on something, one developer does not know what the other does - and both have no idea what the concept of their own game is supposed to be.

Claiming that the different name of the game changes the company abilities actually belongs to some extremely high expectations.

Well i do have some expectations for MTG. While im aware the company is what it is, if the concept of the game is good, i'll play it. NW was a brilliant game back at launch, its the constant updates and wrong approach to balancing, not listening to players, etc. that turned it to what it is today. New players may still have fun with the game but unfortunately there's nothing new for me in this game anymore, i mainly login just for my friends and stuff.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    gripnir78 said:

In one of my posts somewhere else on this forum I even raised a hypothesis that this game from its very begining was meant to work like advertisement platform for D%D latest products. And becouse of this it newer rised to a position of great MMO game - where it should be.

I doubt that the lack of dev resources is due to their contract with WotC, but I can't help but wonder if NWO-as-advertising mechanism is how *WotC* sees NWO. I mean, marketing tie-ins are plain cheesy, I would even consider them insulting to my intelligence, and yet somewhere there is a marketing tie-in zealot who made sure the practice was set in stone when crafting Cryptic's contract. Having to always move in lockstep with WotC means that Cryptic can't ever get really creative because they never have enough resources to do such an effort justice, and the game suffers as a result. It's tragic.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    @hustin1

Sorry for late response.

It is only my own speculation here, but almost all MODs (almost certain since MOD10) was in fact connected with a release or rework of original D&D materials - like MOD 16 is coresponding with new 5th edition.

So they go hand in hand. And since devs some time now keep complaining about lack of resources they have, it become obvious they are barely can fulfill their obligation for Wizards.

There is also a second reason. Just take a look on facts. D&D is a major brand, but on video games market ist almost non existing. Yes I am aware that Bladur's Gate III is at hand, but there was literally no other games since Neverwinter Nights 2? (some mobile games I dont remember).

In that aspect Neverwinter was kinda a pin on games map indicating that D&D is still out there and it is still about RPG.
    For a reasons I cant understand Wizards decided to actually abandon video games market, leaving only Neverwinter behind. And if you try to look from that perspective some things are finally finding explenation... not the one we want, more like you said - tragic.....
  • thekfdcase#5416 thekfdcase Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I agree with your summation of the state of this game, autumnwitch. I saw the writing on the wall back in February during the NDA leaks leading up to Mod 16. I left before it officially launched. I have less frustration simply perusing this forum vs. when I played the game.

That having been said, I have not forgotten the atrocious handling/treatment of the playerbase by Cryptic - not just this year, but going back several years. They are liars, and I do not forgive them for how they - through sheer incompetence - ripped me off and destroyed things that didn't need to be. Frankly, I look forward to the day this game shutters. At least then neither Cryptic nor Perfect World will be able to bamboozle and prey upon players (especially newer ones) with this game, though I fully expect them to pull the same offensive stunts in their future games.
  • yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    I hope this video answers your questions regarding the sorry state of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I1mwpkBo18
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    lardeson said:

rikitaki said:

lardeson said:

wait for MTG i guess

Well i do have some expectations for MTG. While im aware the company is what it is, if the concept of the game is good, i'll play it. NW was a brilliant game back at launch, its the constant updates and wrong approach to balancing, not listening to players, etc. that turned it to what it is today. New players may still have fun with the game but unfortunately there's nothing new for me in this game anymore, i mainly login just for my friends and stuff.
    Greed turned it to what it's now. They emphasized Lockbox gambling mechanics rather than on making good content. Pretty soon the Neverwinter private server will have more players than the official one.

It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    All you have to do is go watch a few of Jim Sterling's (The Jimquisition) youtube videos on the model that all MMO/MP games are taking now. You will see in the last two years NW has been doing this is a fine point. But it really comes down to two issues

1 - Create a group of haves and have nots
    2 - Create a sense of competition between the two groups

Everything we have seen (especially in 2019) is to facilitate the above.

Why?

To get the have nots to spend money to be able to compete with the haves. It's no longer about playing the game because it's fun and has a great story and way to make your toons unique and personal.

It's about making throngs of people resentful of what the elite 10% are doing and thus, forcing them to spend Zen (cash) to catch up with them.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts