test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the game worth returning to/starting over?

Hello, so i played this game for a while and never really got to endgame content or anything because of how downhill i heard the game was going. I have been kinda getting an itch to return to my old account or start over or something. Is it worth it or nah?

Comments

• firekai#8153 firekai Member Posts: 4 Arc User

If you liked the previous fast-paced combat, mostly unbroken classes, more involved and potentially rewarding feats & skill trees, having plentiful buffs & debuffs, both more reliable and greater in number of ways to earn in-game currency/AD, and a larger development team focused on Neverwinter, then the answer is no.

Oh wow okay, thanks for the response. I tried googling the stuff myself but the results i got were ah.. varied at best. (it was all over the place.)
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Not worth your life moments to play this... try destiny 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • mongol69mongol69 Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    If your a warlock...probably not.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    If you never got to endgame content before stopping, then I'd say give the game a try. Some parts will feel very different and some parts won't, but the stakes below endgame aren't particularly high. My recommendation would be to first get used to playing either solo or with people you know well who won't mind you going through a (re)learning process.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    I don't know when was the last time you played this game but in terms of game population currently, then yes, it is horrifuicly dead right now. No one will disagree with that here. But fingers crossed, a new mod is coming in a months time or so and i advise you to join the game around then. That's the time when people who have left because of no content will come back and tbh, this mod seems like the game's last life line. Most of us are afraid if this mod also fails, it will be fatal for the game.

If you are the type of person who wants to reach end game and compete in end game content, be it pvp or pve then the game is lacking severly in content when you get to end game. It's still better than in the past where there was no TOMM (dungeon/trial).

The combat is enjoybale, probably the best in any ARPG MMO out there but this is my opinion only, that the game actually starts becoming fun when you reach end game and then it goes downhill from there because there isn't much to do. Hopefully, it will change in the future, i can only wish that the game releases an endless dungeon type of thing for end gamers. lol
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Take it easy, run the campaigns, try and enjoy the storylines and its a GREAT truly FREE to play game.

I couldn't believe how much fun I had free of charge when I started playing, loads of content lots to do and nice graphics, a nice combat system.

All round a top banana game as long as you just play casual.

As said above - to get to BiS from scratch is really hard, I mean months/years of grind or thousands of $.
  • firekai#8153 firekai Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to give it a try for a week and try to get to some of the endgame content and then wait around for the new mod to come out.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I suggest you bring.a few friends with you or make new friends in game... lvl 80 content can be difficult to do alone without high gear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Content design is at a much higher quality level.

Classes are more balanced overall ( Tanks and Healers especially, some DPS are not in the best place still ).

Making currency from running dungeons is much easier and the dungeons themselves are more forgiving ( i hate this aspect of the current game but you might like it ).

Recommendation? Yes, absolutely worth it. Still, don't pay attention to what anyone is saying and try it yourself.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    I always find questions of this nature like someone asking: "Am I going to like chocolate cake?", because what it amounts to is someone asking for someone else's opinion on the subject instead of doing something to arrive at their own opinion.

As to whether you will find it worth coming back to Neverwinter and starting over, that pretty much depends on what you expect to find when/if you do come back...

If you think you are going to find everything in the game to your liking, super easy (or for some challenging) game play with every completion reward totally worth the effort, a lot of new content always being added, and everything working the way it is intended - all the time, then I'd suggest you think about why you left the first time and ask yourself: "am I willing to go through all of that again"? If the answer is "no" - then you have your answer to "IS THE GAME WORTH RETURNING TO/STARTING OVER?". However if after leaving you eventually decided "it wasn't so bad", then welcome back, I hope you find your restart a pleasant experience... but if not you can always leave again I suppose.
    DD~
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    The previous answers are very much influenced by the recent events in the game. Game had some very major changes that did not go too well(new stat/combat system) and led to some major tuning and difficulty issues. People got unhappy and/or left because of the bugs, invalidation of previously ok gear and basically just that major change never is popular.

That process seems to be more or less over now and we can hope for quiet times again, system-wise.

Is it worth playing Neverwinter?

It really depends on what you want.
    * You can have a nice, pleasant and free journey from 0 and a good bit past 80. Look at it like a free single-player game :)
    * If you want a long-time home for BiS/endgame activities I would be more careful at this time. Neverwinter always was a small game with a small dev team. That dev team seems to be even further downscaled now, and all indicators point towards the game's income dropping hard. Neverwinter is a game late in its lifecycle, so it is uncertain how long it will be receiving upgrades etc. Indeed mod 18 is already at least a month delayed compared to expectations, and we still do not know if/when mod 18 will be coming.
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    A honest response to the question asked. The game even with the changes is still fun and enjoyable as long as you are not at end game. Once you reach that mark you must decide wait for queues that might or might not happen and if it does might or might not fail. For me I stopped playing because after doing so many alts thru the same old content well it gets old fast. When it takes so long for a dungeon queue to pop well the wait time gets to tiring and way to boring. If end game is all about grinding out AD and you have so much AD that you can refine 100K each day for 2 months well not much for ya to do in the game.
    Think most issues with the game is at end game and if you never reached that point then ya try it and enjoy the new neverwinter aspect. Once you reach end game however your then start to notice how things really are and perhaps do alts to fill your time.
    On a side note if dungeons is what your going to try I would suggest another game because ya wait times are just tiring.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    sobi#1980 said:

I don't know when was the last time you played this game but in terms of game population currently, then yes, it is horrifuicly dead right now. No one will disagree with that here. But fingers crossed, a new mod is coming in a months time or so and i advise you to join the game around then. That's the time when people who have left because of no content will come back and tbh, this mod seems like the game's last life line. Most of us are afraid if this mod also fails, it will be fatal for the game.

If you are the type of person who wants to reach end game and compete in end game content, be it pvp or pve then the game is lacking severly in content when you get to end game. It's still better than in the past where there was no TOMM (dungeon/trial).

The combat is enjoybale, probably the best in any ARPG MMO out there but this is my opinion only, that the game actually starts becoming fun when you reach end game and then it goes downhill from there because there isn't much to do. Hopefully, it will change in the future, i can only wish that the game releases an endless dungeon type of thing for end gamers. lol

you guys are answering this from an end game perspective. I guess i'm not playing on pc but on console the game has a lot of lower levels. it's fairly vibrant there. the lower levels seem to be doing just fine and enjoying themselves.

come back and give it a spin. don't rely on forums for answers like this. most of us here are hardened old goats who have been playing forever with insanely high expectations. of course you're going to get bitter answers. we are not the audience you are.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    b4t1b4t said:

A honest response to the question asked. The game even with the changes is still fun and enjoyable as long as you are not at end game. Once you reach that mark you must decide wait for queues that might or might not happen and if it does might or might not fail. For me I stopped playing because after doing so many alts thru the same old content well it gets old fast. When it takes so long for a dungeon queue to pop well the wait time gets to tiring and way to boring. If end game is all about grinding out AD and you have so much AD that you can refine 100K each day for 2 months well not much for ya to do in the game.
    Think most issues with the game is at end game and if you never reached that point then ya try it and enjoy the new neverwinter aspect. Once you reach end game however your then start to notice how things really are and perhaps do alts to fill your time.
    On a side note if dungeons is what your going to try I would suggest another game because ya wait times are just tiring.

if you are in a guild and join premades this isn't true at all. dungeons are easy to find. especially if you can be bothered to take the time to form the groups. the lower level guilds are full of people totally willing to do dungeons other than the very latest ones. the reason ques take so long is because most people do premades only.
    dionchi said:

I always find questions of this nature like someone asking: "Am I going to like chocolate cake?", because what it amounts to is someone asking for someone else's opinion on the subject instead of doing something to arrive at their own opinion.

As to whether you will find it worth coming back to Neverwinter and starting over, that pretty much depends on what you expect to find when/if you do come back...

If you think you are going to find everything in the game to your liking, super easy (or for some challenging) game play with every completion reward totally worth the effort, a lot of new content always being added, and everything working the way it is intended - all the time, then I'd suggest you think about why you left the first time and ask yourself: "am I willing to go through all of that again"? If the answer is "no" - then you have your answer to "IS THE GAME WORTH RETURNING TO/STARTING OVER?". However if after leaving you eventually decided "it wasn't so bad", then welcome back, I hope you find your restart a pleasant experience... but if not you can always leave again I suppose.

I think OP asked a very legitimate question. This is why people hate reviews by youtubers who only play the game for few hours and then judge the whole game based on their little experience. You really do not expect OP to try the end game content to see whether he would like the game because lets face it, this game really begins once you're level 70-80 and start doing campaigns and dungeons to upgrade your gear/stats.

It is also worth noting that the game is in dire state right now because of the last 2 mods, it was wise of OP to query this as i can guarantee you that, had OP joined now without knowing mod 18 was on its way which could revive the game, OP wouldn't have stayed in this almost dead game.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    I wouldn't start over now, but I also know that if somebody else told me that I would still try it out.

The reason why I wouldn't is not the game as it is now (well, if my before-M15 me would've known maybe) but because I'm not sure if the game has not already run it's course now with what content we got in a year...
    And new shinier MMOs on the horizion I could start fresh with, without trying to catch up and watching hours of vids for being 'allowed' to try ancient content.
    - bye bye -
  • zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User

Hello, so i played this game for a while and never really got to endgame content or anything because of how downhill i heard the game was going. I have been kinda getting an itch to return to my old account or start over or something. Is it worth it or nah?

If you haven't done mods 1-14, yes, it will take you at the very least a year to catch-up or even burn out.
    If you are up to mod 14, mods 15-17 doesn't really offer much different than anything before, so wait for mod 18 if they implement any new ideas.

NW hasn't been up to date with the current MMO landscape. It's an older game and they act like it's new. There's no new systems and they reset progress rather than make new ones and people leave than regurgitate levelling/upgrading your character AGAIN, after an arduous and expensive trek.

NW is essentially lacking in new systems. Read my post several months back about it.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    zerappus said:

If you haven't done mods 1-14, yes, it will take you at the very least a year to catch-up or even burn out.
    If you are up to mod 14, mods 15-17 doesn't really offer much different than anything before, so wait for mod 18 if they implement any new ideas.

NW hasn't been up to date with the current MMO landscape. It's an older game and they act like it's new. There's no new systems and they reset progress rather than make new ones and people leave than regurgitate levelling/upgrading your character AGAIN, after an arduous and expensive trek.

NW is essentially lacking in new systems. Read my post several months back about it.
    Yeah, thats true. But they will ride this train until its over, so I really don't see it changing much.
    Make MW viable for a mod, say it "will be BIS for a while", kill it next mod.
    Make a set BIS, say it "will be BIS for a while", and everybody knows what that means.
    With more systems available they could've been spreading the playerbase and stimulating the economy, depending on how much risk they would take, how much they would turn from vertical to horizontal for real. If it was well thought out, it could work, but M16 was just a reduction. A reduction doesn't indicate a restart imo, rather milking it while it's still profitable. So if anything, I hope they will take a closer look on this when running MTG. (So, I would actually recommend waiting for MTG if not trying out a different new MMO.)
    If they would have used M16 to build a stable foundation for new systems, we could already be in a complete new space where even vets could have something to do, if it remained rewarding. But it isn't.
    You either run new content when its new so you can actually make money, or you spend your hard-earned-AD trying to catch up so you one day can run new content. Only to have that wake-up-call of endgame: This was it?

It IS a nice game if you play the campaigns for the first time, if you like the PVE content.
    It IS a nice game if you find ppl willing to run all the dungeons with you. You can have a hard time trying to actually see anything from a dungeon if you run with speed-runners that are far ahead of you, and you can have an even harder time running with a whole group of newbie-pugs.
    It really depends on what you expect from it and make from it.
    - bye bye -
  • cutthroat#4252 cutthroat Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Yes
    Post edited by cutthroat#4252 on
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User

The previous answers are very much influenced by the recent events in the game. Game had some very major changes that did not go too well(new stat/combat system) and led to some major tuning and difficulty issues. People got unhappy and/or left because of the bugs, invalidation of previously ok gear and basically just that major change never is popular.

That process seems to be more or less over now and we can hope for quiet times again, system-wise.

Is it worth playing Neverwinter?

It really depends on what you want.
    * You can have a nice, pleasant and free journey from 0 and a good bit past 80. Look at it like a free single-player game :)
    * If you want a long-time home for BiS/endgame activities I would be more careful at this time. Neverwinter always was a small game with a small dev team. That dev team seems to be even further downscaled now, and all indicators point towards the game's income dropping hard. Neverwinter is a game late in its lifecycle, so it is uncertain how long it will be receiving upgrades etc. Indeed mod 18 is already at least a month delayed compared to expectations, and we still do not know if/when mod 18 will be coming.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with some of your statements here.

First of all - major changes are not "bad" or unpopular by default.
    It depends on those changes quality and if those changes are in fact altering game aspects in the ways players expect.

There is a MMO game out there witch started as pretty much a disaster. But instead of shutting it down after a year of dead servers, devs were able to rework it to the point that it is a very good and popular product.
    So yes - major changes can be good.
    Here in Neverwinter ideas behing MOD16 were great, but devs team was simply unable to implement them, without creating additional major issues.

Now, you said that Neverwinter is a small game. It is not. It started small, sure, but with years it growed to quite impresive size. And due to its D&D background its further content development is secured for pretty much next 100 years.

Thing is - and at this point I am fully agree with you - that current devs team is simply unable to run it properly, or to be more precise - to run it how we players expect it and according to potential this game truly has.

As I said in my other posts - this game works as kind of dvertisement platform for D&D latest releases, while it can be a decent standalone product.

So in short - we got a big game placed with very popular setup, previously equiped with very unique features like foundry or gatweay witch is slowly collapsing.

And best part is I am not sure if we should only blame Cryptic for that.
    Sure thay are responsible for all those tons of technical bugs, issues and failures, but than again some1 is telling them what to do. So if a brand owner would like to make this game great and competitive with other MMOs out there, it is more than likely Cryptic/PW would not to be chosen as a developers here.

Wizards want Neverwinter to be a brand supporting "B" class game, so they choose Cryptic, a solid but still "B" class studio to run this. From that point of view - it really looks and works as intended.

sobi#1980 said:

dionchi said:

I think OP asked a very legitimate question. This is why people hate reviews by youtubers who only play the game for few hours and then judge the whole game based on their little experience. You really do not expect OP to try the end game content to see whether he would like the game because lets face it, this game really begins once you're level 70-80 and start doing campaigns and dungeons to upgrade your gear/stats.

It is also worth noting that the game is in dire state right now because of the last 2 mods, it was wise of OP to query this as i can guarantee you that, had OP joined now without knowing mod 18 was on its way which could revive the game, OP wouldn't have stayed in this almost dead game.
    I might agree that the OP's intent was probably legitimate, but the way the thread was worded: "IS THE GAME WORTH RETURNING TO/STARTING OVER" how can anyone (especially someone who does not intimately know the poster) answer the question posed? The best anyone can do is is give their opinion on whether or not the game is worth playing and starting over. The point you make about the opinions of some people who only play for a few hours, then post negative opinions about the game on YouTube just supports my response... It is rare that someone will be able to tell if another person will like something, just based on their own personal perspective.

As for the state of the game, there are those who have given their opinion that the game is "better", since the last 2 mods, I don't see it myself but who am I to try to say my perspective is any more or less true than anyone else's? To each their own.

It might have been wise of the OP to ask what other people thought of the game because they were thinking of coming back, instead of asking if someone else thought it was worth coming back. I still think the best, most valid responses were along the lines of "Try it. If you like it stay, if you don't like it you can quit again."

¢¢
    DD~
    dionchi said:

sobi#1980 said:

dionchi said:

I might agree that the OP's intent was probably legitimate, but the way the thread was worded: "IS THE GAME WORTH RETURNING TO/STARTING OVER" how can anyone (especially someone who does not intimately know the poster) answer the question posed? The best anyone can do is is give their opinion on whether or not the game is worth playing and starting over. The point you make about the opinions of some people who only play for a few hours, then post negative opinions about the game on YouTube just supports my response... It is rare that someone will be able to tell if another person will like something, just based on their own personal perspective.

As for the state of the game, there are those who have given their opinion that the game is "better", since the last 2 mods, I don't see it myself but who am I to try to say my perspective is any more or less true than anyone else's? To each their own.

It might have been wise of the OP to ask what other people thought of the game because they were thinking of coming back, instead of asking if someone else thought it was worth coming back. I still think the best, most valid responses were along the lines of "Try it. If you like it stay, if you don't like it you can quit again."

¢¢
    The negative responses from youtubers actually doesn't support your argument. It is like saying that the OP can figure out how enjoyable the game is by playing it in few hours. If one pays attention to the OP's initial comment, he specifically says he left the game beacuse he anticipated that it will die before he reaches end game. So that tells you that OP is actually looking for end game content more than lvling to 80 and as you must be aware, all MMO's are now about end game content. Some people absolutely loved lvling to lvl 80 in NW, i hated it if i be honest. I love the action combat and that is what is keeping me to this game, to each their own.

But your reply to OP was more in the lines of, play it and figure it out yourselve. I was more in the line of, here take my opinion with a pinch of salt if you may but here is what i think of the game in its current state. You argue that the latter is of absoloute no use and i disagree by stating that it can help the OP in many different ways, however not act as a constitute to not playing the game and relying solely upon.

• mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    To the OP or anyone else reading this that is wondering about the game: Just jump in.

Asking other people is just about useless.
    We do not know you, you do not know us. What any of us want out of the game may be quite different from what you want out of the game.
    What we are willing to put into the game may be quite different from what you are willing to put into the game.

And I don't mean just one way.. Some of us may not want to commit much/any money while you may be willing to spend a fair bit. Or someone you ask might think that dropping $50-100 per month is nothing while you are on a much tighter budget than that.

You may not be able to spend as much time playing as someone else, or spend a great deal more time than they do.

These things can greatly shape how someone sees this game. Heck, even some people that spend a lot may not enjoy the game as much as someone that spends relatively little.

It just comes down to each person and how they feel about the experience that they make for themselves, which could include joining a guild and sharing that experience with others.

So roll a toon and play. It's free. No need to rush, no pressure to get to 80 by the end of the week and no reason to uninstall if you aren't immediately the happiest that you have ever been in your entire life within two minutes of playing.

Give your toon some time. Let them get some powers under their belt before you decide that you like them or not, and if not? Well, you have more character slots. If not then you filled them with other characters. Try those out. Some classes provide a very different play experience than others.

Take your time, ask questions, ignore the jerks, and keep on keeping on.
    edited November 2019
    sobi#1980 said:

The negative responses from youtubers actually doesn't support your argument. It is like saying that the OP can figure out how enjoyable the game is by playing it in few hours. If one pays attention to the OP's initial comment, he specifically says he left the game beacuse he anticipated that it will die before he reaches end game. So that tells you that OP is actually looking for end game content more than lvling to 80 and as you must be aware, all MMO's are now about end game content. Some people absolutely loved lvling to lvl 80 in NW, i hated it if i be honest. I love the action combat and that is what is keeping me to this game, to each their own.

But your reply to OP was more in the lines of, play it and figure it out yourselve. I was more in the line of, here take my opinion with a pinch of salt if you may but here is what i think of the game in its current state. You argue that the latter is of absoloute no use and i disagree by stating that it can help the OP in many different ways, however not act as a constitute to not playing the game and relying solely upon.

I haven't taken the time or effort to check out the YouTube videos relating to the game but you specifically mentioned videos denoting a "negative opinion of the game based on limited experience", and my point is those videos might be just as valid as any other source...

Some people CAN figure out if they like playing the game after a few hours, then others might need a little longer but since I kind of doubt anyone is personally acquainted with the OP and as such it would be a bit presumptive of anyone (at least in my opinion) to figure the poster was actually speaking about "end game content" instead of playing -toward- end game.

We don't know if the OP wants to play the game for a few hours, months or years to make their determination so yeah, a YouTuber who said they played the game for a few hours or months and doesn't think the game is worth playing might be just what the OP was looking for - we don't know.

But what we do know is the original poster specifically asked: "IS THE GAME WORTH RETURNING TO/STARTING OVER?", which in anyone's reality is a judgement call based on one's own personal opinion. We can give the poster our opinion as whether the game is worth returning to, or starting over - which many have done - but no one can answer the question from the original poster's perspective, except for the original poster.

They Have To Play The Game To Answer Their Question... no other way around it.
    DD~