test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

why can't consoles have preview servers too

thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
you'd more than triple your test base. also some kind of built in act long for test.

Comments

• zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited November 2019

you'd more than triple your test base. also some kind of built in act long for test.

My guess.

The cost of pushing a build or patch to Sony or MS for download is in the 10 or 20 of thousands of dollars range for each. With frequent patches that a test server requires, it would cost over 100k for each console, maybe 200K each during every preview cycle. They do not have nearly this high an additional cost pushing only to their own servers.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    zephyriah said:

My guess.

The cost of pushing a build or patch to Sony or MS for download is in the 10 or 20 of thousands of dollars range for each. With frequent patches that a test server requires, it would cost over 100k for each console, maybe 200K each during every preview cycle. They do not have nearly this high an additional cost pushing only to their own servers.
    I had no idea it cost that much to push out a patch. if that's true then yeah would make sense. I have a hard time believing that to be true though. I used to work at microsoft in tech procurement. I worked with a lot of the xbox ppl. I don't remember ever hearing anything along those lines. not gonna say it's not possible but..
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

zephyriah said:

My guess.

I had no idea it cost that much to push out a patch. if that's true then yeah would make sense. I have a hard time believing that to be true though. I used to work at microsoft in tech procurement. I worked with a lot of the xbox ppl. I don't remember ever hearing anything along those lines. not gonna say it's not possible but..
    They previously charged 40K during the Xbox360 PS3 days. You can easily find references with a quick google.

The current norm as I heard was for Devs to get a few free patches (negotiated in contract) per annum, then pay for those above that.
  • gonzakotwigonzakotwi Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I Heard somewhere that consoles have srtict rules about pulling bugged things that may affect the console. It might have sth to do with that also