test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How true is this engine update rumor.

I recently heard that Cryptic Studios is developing a Magic The Gathering MMORPG, but utilizing the same engine that Neverwinter and StarTrek is built on. This Magic The Gathering MMO will come with a bunch of updates for the engine and after it is released, Neverwinter and StarTrek will be receiving these same engine updates and overhauls. Anyone else here about this?

Comments

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I want to say that the devs stated in a stream that updating the engine for NW is not something they plan on doing since it's a huge undertaking and would most likely break more things than worth it.

My guess would be that, while MtG will get an updated engine, it will not be coming to NW.
  • cutthroat#4252 cutthroat Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I thought that was mentioned when asked about bringing the game to next gen consoles, maybe the same stream?
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    The core of this is:
    All mmorpgs will over time lose subscription mass and fade. The customers will be done with the product and move on to newer and shinier products.

So how much money is it worth throwing at an old and fading product trying to revive it and boost subscriber numbers?
    Looking at the investment patterns on launched mmorpg's, the answer is 'not much'.

Most older mmorpg's can be happy as long as they get regular doses of new content in some form. Regular content updates are necessary or the mmorpg will burn and crash rapidly. However doing expensive system work like new clients rarely pays off, better use those monies on making more content.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    The last time I was on Champions Online they were very upset to hear both NW and STO got upgraded to 64 bit. They are about 10% the population of Neverwinter, so they remain stuck in 32 bit malaise. Meanwhile they get some new content from time to time. The future of NW and STO is the same as all online games, users will naturally abandon this and flock to the new shiny Magic the Gathering. We will end up with a small but loyal following of users. There is nothing wrong with being devoted to something you enjoy.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Its unlikely the game will receive an engine update and frankly, with good reason.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/bethesda-doesnt-need-a-new-engine/

Here is a decent enough news article on it.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    That article makes a pretty good argument against Undermountain.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User

I recently heard that Cryptic Studios is developing a Magic The Gathering MMORPG, but utilizing the same engine that Neverwinter and StarTrek is built on. This Magic The Gathering MMO will come with a bunch of updates for the engine and after it is released, Neverwinter and StarTrek will be receiving these same engine updates and overhauls. Anyone else here about this?

Nope.
    These are the "twilight years" of Neverwinter.
    There will be more new content, new modules (albeit contracted modules), new dungeons.

But the company has already "downsized" the maintenance cost of NW.
    There will only be gradual DISinvestment in NW, no engine updates.

No, NW is not about to die. It will continue with a small but loyal player base as I think @sandukutupu said.

But like a retirement village in Boca Raton, Florida, the residents can expect a comfortable living, bingo and shuffleboard.
    But not much more.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Nope.
    These are the "twilight years" of Neverwinter.
    There will be more new content, new modules (albeit contracted modules), new dungeons.

But the company has already "downsized" the maintenance cost of NW.
    There will only be gradual DISinvestment in NW, no engine updates.

No, NW is not about to die. It will continue with a small but loyal player base as I think @sandukutupu said.

But like a retirement village in Boca Raton, Florida, the residents can expect a comfortable living, bingo and shuffleboard.
    But not much more.
    Great post thank you :)

Look at Ultima Online? 20 years old, very few players, and still going relatively strong.

How many players when I log on to Europa once every two years? Hardly any at all. I can play for two hours and not see a single person online.

SO heck yes NW is enjoyable and will keep its dedicated fan base [mostly] also see Runequest. Still going strong.