test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Soloing from 60 and up

marcioandremarcioandre Member Posts: 19 Arc User
Ok, I have a fairly simple question.

Long ago I played a Barbarian all the time soloing (except for those queues every now and then) until level 60 (I think that was the max level at that time), and now I'm playing it again. I reached level 63 so far, but it has been very very harsh to say the least.

I'm trying to follow the main quests I have from Sgt Knox and others around, but whatever I pick, its crazy hard to complete solo. I respecd my character and made her a Tank Barbarian and I must say I can play a lot longer now before some crazy creature from Sharandar stab me to death.

Every level 61 and 62 quests I have send me to an area with level 64 mobs, and hence the game warns me about that. Sure, like if I had a choice.... Most of the players I see around me are level 80 or something!

What quests should I do? I know I completed a few lvl 60+ quests, like the Beholder one, and another one together with Minx that gave me a sword and armor at the end of the dungeon.

My current HP is around 116K, but those crazy mobs have healing abilities and they even eat up my own action points..... This is frustrating...

Thanks for every tip!

Comments

• zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Do Sharandar, then Dreadring. Make sure to join a guild and take the quests from the cleric there before you do your random queues. Azure enchantment stones can double your XP gain easily. As soon as possible, go to Undermountain & begin that campaign. 95% of the end game gear is there & its easy.

Make sure you have companions in their slots. Not sure why you are dying so easy... but for DPS... the only defense you need is "Defense" and "Health", but dont need to overdo it.

Oh.. make sure to have the highest ranking companion gear, Bonding runestones, and Empowerment runestones. Half of your stats will come from these alone.
  • marcioandremarcioandre Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Thanks, zimxero
    I actually have 4 companions + a dog and I change between them while some are training.
    I have one companion maxed out (my cleric) and now I'm working on the fighter, the wizard and the dwarf lady.

I also was looking for runestones for my companions, but they are nowhere to be found in merchant NPCs. Please note that I'm here playing for the fun of it and have no worries about not having end-game gear.

Cheers!
  • zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User

Ok, I have a fairly simple question.

Long ago I played a Barbarian all the time soloing (except for those queues every now and then) until level 60 (I think that was the max level at that time), and now I'm playing it again. I reached level 63 so far, but it has been very very harsh to say the least.

I'm trying to follow the main quests I have from Sgt Knox and others around, but whatever I pick, its crazy hard to complete solo. I respecd my character and made her a Tank Barbarian and I must say I can play a lot longer now before some crazy creature from Sharandar stab me to death.

Every level 61 and 62 quests I have send me to an area with level 64 mobs, and hence the game warns me about that. Sure, like if I had a choice.... Most of the players I see around me are level 80 or something!

What quests should I do? I know I completed a few lvl 60+ quests, like the Beholder one, and another one together with Minx that gave me a sword and armor at the end of the dungeon.

My current HP is around 116K, but those crazy mobs have healing abilities and they even eat up my own action points..... This is frustrating...

Thanks for every tip!

To level from 60 to 70, you need to do the Elemental Evil Campaign and Underdark. (That Minsc quest is part of Elemental Evil).

Elemental Evil: Talk the old lady under the large tree at the center of the city and to the introductory quests for the 4 zones. Completing these quests give you access to 60 gear rewards so you can continue easier.

You can also search for level 60 "ancient" purple weapons on the Auction House (that drop from Castle Never). They normally cost 1k to 2k AD at most. And they have good stats so you can easily do early 60 levelling.

Lastly, while you are levelling through Elemental Evil, you can talk Captain Belgold (on Horseback) at the Eastern gate of Protector's Enclave. He'll give you the story intro through the Underdark Campaign. At level 64, Sharandar Campaign opens up. Talk to the Sharandar Elven Envoy west of Protector's Enclave

Those two campaigns alone can get you to level 70 I believe. With Sharandar added, you can easily get to 70 in no time.. Also don't forget to do daily Random dungeons to get extra xp ( K key ) and socket rank 5-7 Azure enchantments on your utility and/or get the Pants/Shirt with +20% bonus xp on the Zen Store if you wish.

When you get to level 70, go to Sgt Knox. Behind him is a scroll. Click it for the Undermountain Campaign. That will get you to maximum level of 80.

GL

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Bradda the Sage sells runestones in her shop for gold if you want to go the refining route on them.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • melotai#0794 melotai Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    As of mod 16 healing companions are mostly useless. You might want to consider investing in the Astra Deva Companion for its equipable healing ability. I did that for all of my non-healer types and for me at least it has reduced my healing potion usage.
  • marcioandremarcioandre Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Ok, thank you so much everyone :D Will look over those details the next time I login!

Cheers!
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    You've likely already done this, but just in case:

Put 3 Bonding Runestones in your companion slots. Easiest way to get them is buy them on the Auction House. Rank 7, 8 or eve 9 Bonding Runestones can be found at reasonable prices if you check frequently. Higher than that can get expensive.

As others have said, join a guild and pick up your daily Stronghold quests and run those along with your random queues (tank build is good for running randoms) to get more AD.

Then get 3 pieces of Companion Gear (again from the AH) that boost the stats you want: Either Defense/Deflection for tankiness or Armor Pen/Critical Strike/Accuracy for more damage. You can get blue pieces named Heroic, Fierce or Bold fairly cheaply on the AH. You will also get a set of 3 pieces given to you when you start the Undermountain campaign at level 70.

If you get blue Companion gear they will each have room for 1 runestone slot, again put runestones in these for whatever stat you want to boost - Power, Armor Pen whatever.

If you get a purple "Energon" companion off the AH that has a Companion Utility ability that adds another 24,000 hit points, iirc.

Hope that helps!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I could use help, to. My barbarian, she's becoming a healing potion junkie.....@_@
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    General advice: Make sure you have all slots filled: Mounts and insignias, companions and companions gear with runestones, main gear slots with enchantments. Just buy cheap stuff off AH to fill up.

If you got excess AD, focus on levelling your summoned pet, your bonding runestones and the runestones in the gear.
    However carefully consider what summoned pet you level, the current meta is an augment.

Once you hit 70 start Undermountain and pick up the free gear kit at start of Undermountain.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    1. You need to have enough Armour Penetration so that you can hit.
    2. You need to have insignia bonus that gives you some heal during combat.

These two are on the top of my list.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***