test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Butterflies on Wand of Wonder are upsetting other players

aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
Hey there. Just a suggestion about the Wand of Wonder. I love this thing, I've used it since it first came out and it's a huge amount of fun and a great addition to the game. It's actually my all-time favourite toy. I personally do not have a problem with the butterflies, I am used to them by now, but when I use the wand in parties in PUG groups like Castle Never, I often get comments and even complaints about them, they say they are too distracting and why did I summon them. I explain that the effects are random and the wand is just too good so I put up with the butterflies, but they still do not like it, the result has been that I decided I just can't use the wand when I team up in random queues out of respect for the other players because for every person who says something about how annoyed they are, there will be 4 or 5 others who think it too but just don't say anything. And I do not want to upset people and put them off their gameplay.

I noted that after my break away from the game there have been a few new additions to the possible effects the wand gives, so I think that it is always a work in progress and being worked on, I wonder if the devs would consider removing the butterflies altogether. The effect seems just too drastic for some people. I like em, but hey, if I can't use the wand what's the point. I still use it when I'm soloing around, but I would like to have it equipped all the time. Just a thought anyway, thought I would suggest it.

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    They last too long and are annoying, yes. I agree with that.

By the same token, usage of Bruenor's Helm and the manifestation of the Throne gives me a headache.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • solanaceae#5995 solanaceae Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Butterflies are indeed annoying, especially since some of the wand's effects are genuinely useful in combat (fireball does the damage of a daily, crab/chicken give you CA). Reducing the duration from 10 minutes to 1 or something would make it a bit less painful to deal with.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    I could never get butterflies on my wand :disappointed: It almost always ends up being grass for me.
    FrozenFire
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    ... i'd suggest that the Devs should let the player cancel any of those "special" effects early. If someone wants to run around with their butterflies, they can, and everyone else can just send them back to their flowers right away too.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited October 2019

I could never get butterflies on my wand :disappointed: It almost always ends up being grass for me.

They come up quite frequently for me, about 1 in every 5 or so casts, often less. I found a good use for them, when they are there I can lie on the beam in Yawning Portal and they must look pretty gorgeous up over everyone's heads. They almost fill the whole atrium. But yea, players who aren't using the wand generally hate them when in battle. You can stop them by killing yourself, but when I did this in Castle Never I was right up toward the end and it threw me right back to the foyer and I had to run all the way back while they waited which was probably just as annoying as if I'd left them going lol. I get the giant Blue Dragon pretty often too btw, he's awesome and two times before I stopped using the wand in Castle Never it made the beholder twice as large as he already was which I thought was hysterical.
    greywynd said:

They last too long and are annoying, yes. I agree with that.

By the same token, usage of Bruenor's Helm and the manifestation of the Throne gives me a headache.

Yea, that one is kind of hard on the eyes. The book artifact often gets in my way and I can't see what I'm looking at if the person who set it off is on the same side as me but luckily it doesn't last long.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    ToMM is the only place that the butterflies are appropriate. Please reserve all uses of your wand for ToMM only. Thank you.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    Dear Cryptic, please replace the butterflies with frolicking leprechauns, thank you. Ten thousand should suffice.

Seriously, though, I haven't seen the butterfly effect, and I'm really curious. Does anyone have a screenshot to share?

Dear Cryptic, please replace the butterflies with frolicking leprechauns, thank you. Ten thousand should suffice.

Seriously, though, I haven't seen the butterfly effect, and I'm really curious. Does anyone have a screenshot to share?

Next time I have it I'll do a screenie and post it in this thread.
    edited October 2019

The expression on the Idol's face is much like they make other players feel.
    I'll just stick this one in as well, because when I logged back in I was back in the Yawning Portal and they followed me there, the background is a little darker and u can see how hard it is to see me lying down there, well that's what it does when someone is trying to see an enemy in a dungeon.

• frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    Thank you for taking the time to take and post those screenshots.
    That's like having fireworks in your face.
    yea, they are a little bright and as u can see in the long shots I did, they take up an enourmous amount of space too. in a smaller area there is really no escaping for anyone. and u also have to imagine them moving around (like a strobe effect) and the noise they make too. maybe if they can't or won't remove them entirely, they might just reduce the size right down so they only swarm around one person's personal space and not the whole room. or make it so only the person who created them can see them. as i said in my opening post, the wand is a great addition to the game, it's just a shame that one aspect of it gets people feeling grumpy, because that was not the original intent of the wand i am sure. it was supposed to be light-hearted and fun.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    The butterflies, like everything else from Mod 15, are an annoying nonsense effect from a module that should never have been added.

Just don't use it. The Wand Of Wonder, like everything else from Mod 15, should be left on the trash heap of history and forgotten. The Wand Of Wonder is Mod15 in a nutshell and on a hotkey bar: the benefits of it are not required to succeed, the downsides of it are very annoying to both you and anyone who plays with you.
    To the contrary, the wand is a lot of fun, it's my fave toy in the game. Tbh I wasn't all that impressed with the whole AI thing and the mod left me cold, but the wand was the one good thing which came out of it. I know some people like yourself won't agree, but there are a lot of us out there who do like the wand and who love using it, even with the self-stun etc. The good things in it and the unpredictability of it make it awesome to use and brighten our day. If the butterflies were not affecting everyone I'm sure you would't mind it so much.
  • nhogsnhogs Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Ok so a wand of wonder was always considered one of the most chaotic magical items in DND. To use the wand at a particular time is a choice... it might be beneficial or it might not be... personally I would always keep the butterflies please... if you find someone who uses it inappropriately then ask them not to do it again rather than taking away a feature which is unpredictable and sometimes fun... indeed, if this needs adjustment at all my vote would be to lessen the chance of the butterflies by adding more effects... the odd charging Rhino springs to mind :)
    Problem is, you either use it or you don't. There is no appropriate or inappropriate way to use it.
  • mebalz#9859 mebalz Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    they could always treat the butterfly's like the did the Doohickey and just Nerf them into the ground
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

I'll mention it to the rest of the team.

I like the suggestion of being able to cancel it early but I also wouldn't mind a "butterfly net" being introduced so players could catch said butterflies >.>

Suggestion: Take a note from STO and the Subspace Party Amplifier / Subspace Party Nullifier items.

The Subspace Party Amplifier is a consumable that creates a disco ball, flashing lights, music, and forces all nearby people into a dancing animation.

The Subspace Party Nullifier is a non-consumable. If it's in your inventory, the Subspace Party Amplifier doesn't work on you. You don't dance, the flashes are less bright, and the music doesn't play.

Let people spend some nominal amount of campaign currency or Tarmalune Bars or something, and if they have the Butterfly Eliminator in their inventory, the butterflies never appear for them.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    allow the next want actiovation to cancel the earlyone, only 1 effect active would solve this...
  • dominious12dominious12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    I love the butterflies, please change the duration of the buff to one hour to match the "Blue" one.

On a serious note, would it be possible to just make them invisible if your character is in combat?
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User

I love the butterflies, please change the duration of the buff to one hour to match the "Blue" one.

On a serious note, would it be possible to just make them invisible if your character is in combat?

Or maybe only visible to the person who cast it? Like Harry from Kingsmen 2.
    They are a mild annoyance, adding nothing but distracting your teammates.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User