test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Random queue player decline/timeout

shadrakt2shadrakt2 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
Random queue wait time is getting out of control again. A major problem now is players declining or simply not accepting before the timer runs out. I suppose they're waiting for the role bonus to change to their role? I can't figure out why so many people do it. But it's gotten to the point where you simply can't queue up for a random queue at any level without having it time out or get cancelled at least a couple times before getting in. During slow times, it takes more than 5 minutes to get into an RAQ, even as a healer or tank.

Can we institute some sort of penalty? Each time within a day you decline or fail to accept in time, you get placed in an increasing time out. First time, 1 minute block from queueing up again. 2nd time, 3 minutes. 3rd time 10 minutes etc.

Comments

• frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    It's murphy's code.
    If you want to assure you'll get a queue, start something that you'll have to start all over again when your queue finally does come up.
  • motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    As another poster already said, the main problem seems to be:

- long wait times for queues (more so for dps, than tanks or healers)
    - people do other stuff
    - If they do real life stuff, they are afk when the queue finally pops (and they should accept or decline)
    - If they do other in-game stuff, they will try to finish it before the 60 sec timer runs out.

The result is: When the queue finally pops
    - (1) either the entire group accepts very quickly (within the first 10 sec),
    - (2) or the timer runs down the full 60 seconds and the queue fails

The only remedy I see, is to reduce the 60 sec timer to 30 sec.
    Why: It does not negatively affect Case (1), where players accept within the first 10 sec), but it reduces the wait time for case (2), when players are afk or do other ingame stuff.

Penalizing the players that don't accept does not seem a very good idea:

Players that do real life things due to the long wait (and are afk) will not change their behavior.
    The queue timer will still run for 60 sec and the queue fails at the 60 sec mark

Players that do other more important stuff on other projects ingame (instanced quests, epics that pop only once every hour, etc.) will try to finish their current project.
    Nobody will throw away the entire progress in their current project (up to 20 min of gameplay), just because they are blocked for 1 min from requeueing. In fact, it probably will take them longer to finish their current project, than the 1 min additional wait time (or 2 min, if they declined for a second time in a row)
  • grrowler#0622 grrowler Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    I always wondered why a queue was declined - I honestly thought it was because somehow I had been squelched (that I had previously grouped with someone and they had put me on a list for autodecline) or that they were able to see my character itemization/build and refused to group up. because the queue sometimes declined instantaneously.

I appreciate the insight into the queue system, from what you discuss above - I understand better now what is going on.

I always wanted to know though: for the random queues, is the dungeon chosen completely at random by neverwinter? or is the dungeon selection initiated by a player that is trying to run a dungeon (not via random queue), and then neverwinter autopopulates/groups that person(s) from a random selection of players waiting to queue?

I find it odd that I used to ALWAYS get master illusionist a year ago, and now - I NEVER get master illusionist - it seems that I most often get put into the dread ring skirmish.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    stoniar said:

for the random queues, is the dungeon chosen completely at random by neverwinter? or is the dungeon selection initiated by a player that is trying to run a dungeon

Primarily it was done for the second case - someone wants to run some content, so the game will seek him a party.
    Secondary option is filling gaps made by players dropping from a run.
    In reality you can get completely random dungeon only if you put together full party and enqueue as a team.
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    Take a popular example of league where if you cancel too many queues, you get penalised for few minutes. But that is league, queues can pop in 0. something seconds lol and this is neverwinter. You should be penalised for few minutes that gets progressively worse within the same day as you keep declining.

Not all people are doing BHE in chult and even if they are, why do all the queue people i.e. the rest 4 get punished because of them? Those that are afk are even worse. A penalty system is logically now when all queues require roles and the waiting time is much higher.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Penalty for declining would not be fair, especially to someone who declined after waiting the queue. They probably had a legitimate reason to do so. An argument can be made for the case where the queue pops immediately and the person declined. These people are probably gaming the system.
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    The reasons for declining a queue can be for many reasons. When i use to login and play and queued up for along time. I would step outside and grab a smoke in hopes that I would be done the queue would pop. Some times it did before I got back oh well that was my fault for smoking. other times it would not and as time went on another smoke and missed out.
    The queue times being so long for a dps does make it hard to be patient and not bored and wait.
    This is 1 reason why I have not logged back in.
    Can not say how to fix the issue as its not one that can be fixed.
  • shadrakt2shadrakt2 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    OK, I hear you guys. It sucks to wait for a queue for a long time if you're DPS. In that case, make an OP just for running RDQ and RTQ like I did.

I'm sorry, making 4 or 9 ppl wait because you went outside for a smoke or don't want to loose progress on some content is selfish and kinda rude. When I'm in a lair and the queue pops up, I accept, then start the lair over again when I'm done. It's just more considerate.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    shadrakt2 said:

When I'm in a lair and the queue pops up, I accept, then start the lair over again when I'm done. It's just more considerate.

Well, I click decline, which makes you click the accept button once more within a second. Sorry to bother you.

• b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    I would not go far to say the queue system sucks because really it does not. The issue like I said months ago is not really how the system works but more how us users play.
    Its very simple there are many more people willing to play a dps class then there are those that are willing to play a healer or tank.
    There are more that would decide to tank over healing.
    You simply can not change this because well unless the player base of the game decides to become more flexible then it will remain the same.
    I run a warlock as my main and I prefer to dps on my warlock when I queue for a dungeon.
    If I tried healing a dungeon and not be ready to actually heal that dungeon what happens?
    Everyone dies and well I either leave or get kicked.
    You can not just say one day you wish to play a healer and go in not knowing how.
    Either way to be fair queues would be best if they handled things better.
    Making it require a item level is a cheap easy strat but it also is the wrong method the way the games heading.
    They should setup actual stats for players to know what is needed and then maybe things would go differently.
    Queuing on a dps class is just a long wait time that most of us really dont have the time nor patients for.
    I can even state that at the start I did not care to wait 30 mins not even a hour to do a dungeon but as time go's by you simply get bored of waiting in 1 area for a queue that might take awhile to pop and then when it does you might get into a party that just can not do it and then back to the waiting game.
  • shadrakt2shadrakt2 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

Well, I click decline (...)

That's fine. Thanks for at least declining. But please don't run off to make a sandwich if you're queued up for something.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    > @shadrakt2 said:
    > (Quote)
    > That's fine. Thanks for at least declining. But please don't run off to make a sandwich if you're queued up for something.

You are describing camping which has always been a kick-able offense. That can only be done after accepting, hence indeed a d_ck move. Just kick them when the kick timer clears.
    But you suggested penalty for declining?
    Insane. Hell no.
    Decline is an option for exactly that reason. If you've been on Q for a long time, realize you have to deal with bio/GF aggro/work/hunger, it is perfectly appropriate to decline.

That player owes you NOTHING until they accept the queue.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    If you want fast and efficient queue times you don't play a solo DPS role in pugs, it is just that simple. As long as there is a lack of Healers / Tanks the queues will be long and declines will happen.

You can look at it which ever way you want and propose whatever change / penalty you can think of or you can make a support class and get instant queues all the time like a lot of us do.