test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

preservation wards and bonds

hannasielhannasiel Member Posts: 65 Arc User
A fellow player had told me that there were some changes when up-grading enhancements, etc. He said you could now use "continue until up-graded" so you did not have to click and click. He also mentioned that there was a guaranteed up-grade after "x" amount of tries. So, today I wanted to up-grade a weapon enhancement piece. I had the required amount of Mark of Potency (5) and put 99 preservation wards into the required box to protect the 5 Marks from being eaten before the up-grade was done. Then I pushed the button for continuing to up-grade until done. It ate all 99 of my preservation wards and all 5 of the Marks and, of course, the up-grade was not done. So, I am wondering if there is a bug as it is definite there was "no" guarantee of success after a certain amount. How do I proceed? Send in a ticket?

Comments

• akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    Weapon enchantments have a 1% chance. The auto streak for 1% is 150 wards. So unfortunately you have hit a bit of bad luck but it will save those 99 tries and continue incrementing the counter if you use more pwards.

Edit: explained it poorly so rewrote
  • hannasielhannasiel Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Ah! So it was based on percentages from the base number. *sigh* This makes things very different from what I was told. Had I know this, I would have just used a "Bond" and gotten it over with. So sad I lost those 99 preservation wards and 5 #4 Marks of Potency because I did not know the full picture. Live and Learn! Thank you so much for this information Akemnos. :)
  • skrewfaz3d#1482 skrewfaz3d Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Did you check the option to "require wards"? If you didn't, then it continues until you have no more REQUIRED resources..
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    Move the cursor to your weapon enchantment. It will show you the answer.
    You should see something like 99/150. 99 is what you tried. 150 is the cap number.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    Technically on average using Pres wards is actually better than a Coal ward now. I dont remember the math completely from the original thread but I believe that on Average it was calculated you should get the 1% change on try ~84. Although with each check being independent it doesn't always conform to that and can indeed hit the 150.

I still use Coal wards when i have them though as i then dont have to worry about using more than a stack.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I haven't tried it with weapon enchants, but on other items, the gane has always stopped trying when it ran of preservation wards. Not sure why it ate your marks.

I have the option to require a ward disabled, btw
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    akemnos said:

I still use Coal wards when i have them though as i then dont have to worry about using more than a stack.

It makes sense to use C-ward in 1% especially if it is a bound one (which you can't sell). Otherwise, when will you use the c-ward? What is the point of keeping a bound c-ward and not use it? Just in case, there will be 0.5% in the future? :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kors#9447 kors Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    I agree with Pitshade. When you press the botton on "continue until success" (or something like that), it automatically stops when you finish your preservation wards and this allows you to don't lose your stones and marks but only the preservation wards. Maybe you have different options?
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    You may have clicked 2 times, so first time it consumed 99 wards, then second time as there was no wards, you consumed the marks.

Your wards are not wasted because you need at max 51 more wards to upgrade the item because it saves the number of wards used, and you need at max 150.

Good luck
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    pay for coal ward to upgrade Vorpal and devs nerfed it. that really stab players in the back.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    wylonus said:

pay for coal ward to upgrade Vorpal and devs nerfed it. that really stab players in the back.

Yeah, you might want to go back and test that vorpal after these changes. My crits are doing even more damage then they previously were, with the same r13 Vorpal slotted, even though I lost 27% crit sev. It hasn't been nerfed at all. With the new damage formula, it would have been severely OP. Now, it's still almost certainly BiS, but there are other legit options, which is nice to see.