test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Damage Buffs/Critical Severity/Combat Advantage

noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
There are a few changes to the way damage bonuses are applied to a character which will be available on preview soon.

The first change is that Critical Severity, Combat Advantage, and Damage Bonuses are now in separate categories. What this means is instead of all of the categories adding together and then multiplying off of the base damage, they each multiply on top of each other. A simplified equation of what is happening behind the scenes is:

Final Damage = Base Damage * Critical Severity * Combat Advantage * Damage Bonuses

The second change that goes along with this is that Damage Bonuses are added together before multiplying on the base damage. Previously some damage bonuses added together and others multiplied with each other. This created a situation where different builds/classes were ending up with different multipliers. Now damage bonuses will universally add together before multiplying off of the base damage.

This should create a method of damage increase that is clear and consistent which will make planning out the setup of a character easier.

EDIT: With these changes, Vorpal was reduced because the effectiveness of Critical Severity has increased and to bring it more in line with other weapon enchantment options.

Further edit, looks like the Vorpal change won't be in the preview update, at Rank 14 the crit severity bonus is now 20%
Post edited by noworries#8859 on

Comments

• tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    @noworries#8859

Is critical severity capped ?
  • foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User
    I'm not sure but will this tone down the +3% damage from different gear pieces?
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

Is critical severity capped ?

You are serious or it's like a meme question?
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    I see that this change will make damage processing faster for the server, and take the black magic & fun out of it for stat gurus, but dont really see this as an advancement. Noteably, Combat Advantage & Crit becomes much more powerful in relation to its previous importance. A definite downside: We are likely to see bugs for years as old gear breaks and becomes transferred over to this new system.
  • misty#7101 misty Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    You guys just don't stop nerfing stuff. Always looking for new ways to decrease things!
    ~ Misty :3
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    By the way... 15% critical severity for r14 Vorpal is a hammer-nerf!

Redo your math please... and yes I understand the pools now and proposed.

At 15%, nearly every Vorpal owner will dump it on the market for dirt.
    25% puts Vorpal in-line with other enchantments.

• lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6FVFN5TuiE

enough stated.

I'm not sure but will this tone down the +3% damage from different gear pieces?

yes, but it also means that the 3% bonus will not be applied equally to all classes, or even between paragons inside the same class... No offense, but with the basic information this is a train wrecking waiting to happen
    "Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 611 Arc User
    At last some good news has arrived. Finally a uniform damage formula for all classes.
    About nerf on Vorpal was easy to predict as it was way ahead of other enchants, I just hope it's a balancing fit, not a nerf that will break the enchant again.
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I wanted to comment on the healing concerns these changes raised but I don't think I'm the right person for that.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • tardbathtardbath Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    @noworries#8859
    Are you planning on releasing the Weapon echant exchange vendor for those who have boa Vorpal or even for those who have vorpal in general ?
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User

@noworries#8859

From what the players looking at the math are saying so far, it sounds like gear buffs and class buffs need to be separated instead of being in the same category.

Essentially they are saying that gear buffs will be more potent for some classes than others if class buffs and gear buffs are in the same category. How strong these gear buffs are for you depends on how many class buffs you have; this will cause new class balance issues that get progressively worse as new gear gets added to the game over time.

Can you elaborate on this? Which class/s benefit more from gear buffs not being separated from class buffs?

Lastly, i don't know why the dps's are crying over nerf to vorpal. Clearly you got a buffed crit sev which now is multiplied separately instead of being added with your CA, so both of these stats effectiveness has been increased.

However, i can see why healers are distressed. Since crit heals take power:crit ratio into account and then multiply by critsev but that is not changed at all with this change so a nerf to vorpal is a nerf to healers.
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    @noworries#8859 Did you increase the At-will speed for Barbs and increase their damage? Currently they are doing 500k+ dps (ST) with CA, without decante (which is bugged). Is this intended? Other classes are like doing half of that.