test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lockboxes are a waste of time

fghgjfg2fg54581fghgjfg2fg54581 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
After opening 235 of them, I got nothing of any value what so ever. So I put in a ticket only to be told that DEVS control this and that I should post on the forum. So, here you go.
As we need yet another reason to find a new game and leave for good. Don't be fooled, saving VIP keys does not help. I'm living proof of that. I certainly will NEVER buy any either. I will not spend one dime period...

Comments

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

After opening 235 of them, I got nothing of any value what so ever. So I put in a ticket only to be told that DEVS control this and that I should post on the forum. So, here you go.
    As we need yet another reason to find a new game and leave for good. Don't be fooled, saving VIP keys does not help. I'm living proof of that. I certainly will NEVER buy any either. I will not spend one dime period...

You do know the actual odds of the legendary or the epic are around 1% or less. Every box opened has 1% or less odd of providing one of the top awards. The only LB where I have seen it have greater odds is the magnificent lockbox, all others LB have really bad odds.

I did 1200 one day and 800 another day during summer sale of 2016. I got 2 epic pulls from 2K worth of keys. A friend got 2 legendary from 50 keys. It is total RNG. That same player left for a few months, came back and got another legendary with only 20 keys. It is total RNG and from what I can tell it seems certain accounts have higher odds of pulling better items from the LB.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Lotto ticket does not give out big prize most of the time if not all the time. What is new?
    If you buy VIP only because of the lockbox key and expect a grand prize, I feel sorry for you.
    I believe someone did a test (in the preview server) long time ago. The odd of a legendary mount is about 1 in 1000.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    He probably meant 2X RP not RS.
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    lockboxes are TOTAL rng i got a ledge mount from one key in the frst 5 mnths of play an aint seen another since..... an ive been vip since mnth one game came out on ps4.... ive opend 250 one time an 125 another time yada yada an got not evn an epic pull either time then opend 60 an got an epic pull... rng is rng
    edited September 2019

nic1985 said:

to open mostly during 2x RS.

What does that mean?
    2x rs stands for an "event" 2x refining stones

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Well, as mentioned before, the good news are, with the daily ViP keys and as long as you stick to the older lockboxes, you can still make enough AD from AH sales to get more ViP.

The bad news are, there's only a certain amount of older lockboxes left, and at some point every player will be forced to either let their daily ViP keys rott or use them on the newer lockboxes...

And the ugly news are, that the newer lockboxes are designed to flood our inventory with mostly use-/worthless HAMSTER, so that all players will have to spend real money at some point to get more ViP/keys.

On the bright side, when you run out of older lockboxes, there's no reason for buying more keys beside the ones you get from ViP. I'm pretty sure someone at Cryptic is patting themself on the back for this newer lockbox design, not realising that in the long run they only shot themself in the foot... again.

Anyway, i've probably gone through several thousand keys this far and pulled 2 legendary prizes from lockboxes over the years, and the last time i spend real money on this game was for the epic account-wide Winter Festival companion, they haven't given me a good reason for spending more money since then.
    I allways save at least 30 keys for one great lockbox opening session every month, and i've enough older boxes banked for several years, i still hope that they'll change this cancerous lockbox design into something better, but i bet they'll only make it worse... again.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • prethenprethen Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    I've seriously considered paying for a VIP subscription for a couple of reasons. One, I think I owe a bit of coin to the devs for the huge number of hours I've spent on this game. I'm not sure if there's anything else that would make sense to spend money on since I'm not interested in a particular mount or companion. Second, it would be cool to see if I can get some better gear then I'm getting in game (I have gear in the 950-1000 range now; no real good artifacts) and maybe get a leg up in AD/RP.

This leads me to the obvious question...will I see value in going for a VIP subscription? Do you get anything from it other than keys that basically allow you to play a version of a lottery?
    edited September 2019
    prethen said:

I've seriously considered paying for a VIP subscription for a couple of reasons. One, I think I owe a bit of coin to the devs for the huge number of hours I've spent on this game. I'm not sure if there's anything else that would make sense to spend money on since I'm not interested in a particular mount or companion. Second, it would be cool to see if I can get some better gear then I'm getting in game (I have gear in the 950-1000 range now; no real good artifacts) and maybe get a leg up in AD/RP.

This leads me to the obvious question...will I see value in going for a VIP subscription? Do you get anything from it other than keys that basically allow you to play a version of a lottery?

In my opinion, if you want to get VIP just because of the lockbox keys, I don't think it worth it.
    I now have about ~800 unused VIP lockbox keys. I don't feel particular excited opening lockbox. I also collect EVERY single lockbox I encountered since mod 3. I have enough old lockbox to open if I care ... one day.
    I get VIP because of its Qualify of life value: bank portal, travel portal, seal vendor (for selling stuff for gold), no AH posting fee, AD store discount, etc. The QOL thing was the reason I got VIP 12 since there was VIP. Not because of lockbox key which is icing of the cake for me.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Every month of VIP you buy increases its level. Each level adds new perks. Eventually, you can summon a mailbox, bank vault, professions vendor, seal vendor as well as get daily healing potions and chest rerolls per character on your account. You stop laying posting fees on the Auction House, stop getting injuries (with one exception) and fast travel to your workshop from the world map and other stuff.

If your subscription lapses, you lose the use of these things but the rank you've achieved remains should you buy it again.

It is fairly indispensable to most people who have it.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User

prethen said:

In my opinion, if you want to get VIP just because of the lockbox keys, I don't think it worth it.
    I now have about ~800 unused VIP lockbox keys. I don't feel particular excited opening lockbox. I also collect EVERY single lockbox I encountered since mod 3. I have enough old lockbox to open if I care ... one day.
    I get VIP because of its Qualify of life value: bank portal, travel portal, seal vendor (for selling stuff for gold), no AH posting fee, AD store discount, etc. The QOL thing was the reason I got VIP 12 since there was VIP. Not because of lockbox key which is icing of the cake for me.
    Agreed. while the free key can be nice and potentially get you something nice. the real draw for VIP is the other bonuses. Now it has somewhat degraded with recent changes to the game but the time saving options such as bank, mailbox and travel portal are a must. I honestly dont think i could stand playing if i had to run to the entrance of a zone everyt ime i moved locations.

prethen said:

as stated if your jus gettin vip for the keys.... dont bother.... get vip for the qol perks.... the travel sign the "no damage from death" poerk at rnk 7 the bank portal the seal vendor/profs vendor the mailbox.... this stuff is wrth more than the "one key a day"

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Another one of those "I opened tons and tons of keys and got nothing" posts. Guess the lockboxes were completely empty and you got thin air upon opening them.

235 is nothing. Could you get something? Yes. Is it likely you'll get a legendary something? Not really.

RNG is RNG and everyone knows this and yet people still see some value in opening lockboxes and selling their contents while hoping for the big payday of a legendary.

While you're upset yo got nothing with 235, somewhere there's someone giddy that they used 1 lockbox key and scored a legendary (we all hate this person by the way so don't tell us).
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Tests done on the test server have shown that normal lockboxes have 0.15% chance of dropping a Legendary mount.

That means you have around 50% chance of getting a Legendary mount after opening 700 lockboxes.

Good luck!

And BTW.. I have had VIP more or less since they introduced it, and I spend my key every day. I have seen no Legendary drop.
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User

Another one of those "I opened tons and tons of keys and got nothing" posts. Guess the lockboxes were completely empty and you got thin air upon opening them.

235 is nothing. Could you get something? Yes. Is it likely you'll get a legendary something? Not really.

RNG is RNG and everyone knows this and yet people still see some value in opening lockboxes and selling their contents while hoping for the big payday of a legendary.

While you're upset yo got nothing with 235, somewhere there's someone giddy that they used 1 lockbox key and scored a legendary (we all hate this person by the way so don't tell us).

yes, you could look at this issue from that side of the road, but . . .

there are some lockboxes protected by jibberish ( aka trash ) that are virtually guaranteed to drop nuttin.

it does matter which boxes you open and many are worse than others. A few gem boxes are very valuable on the market for this reason alone

• kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Even the old boxes are losing their value. Many had artifacts among the top prizes. Most of these artifacts are now worth little.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    I opened 100 of the Magnificent Resurgence boxes today and got 90% RP and Enchants. I did get a few mounts insignias, three trade bar jackpots and some SH vouchers. Not a single item of note tho,
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Every month of VIP you buy increases its level. Each level adds new perks. Eventually, you can summon a mailbox, bank vault, professions vendor, seal vendor as well as get daily healing potions and chest rerolls per character on your account. You stop laying posting fees on the Auction House, stop getting injuries (with one exception) and fast travel to your workshop from the world map and other stuff.

If your subscription lapses, you lose the use of these things but the rank you've achieved remains should you buy it again.

It is fairly indispensable to most people who have it.

^^ this. the keys are nice but they aren't the reason to have vip.
    kharkov58 said:

Even the old boxes are losing their value. Many had artifacts among the top prizes. Most of these artifacts are now worth little.

lockboxes from mod 12 and up are still ok. not great... not making your money back on them but wayyy better than the current lockboxes. glorious is still the best
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    i remember Nightmare LB's odds were 1 in 20 chances for Nightmare steed, nearly was from old dice rolls from D20 dice, now those newer lockboxes are like layers of slot machines, changed since Mod 6, almost such as 1 in 100, and after Mod 11, nearly 1 in 250 chances, devs still push to about 1 in 750/1000 boxes recently. it getting us players to drawn in deeper with bad RNG.
    i also played Star Trek, it isnt even better. "Elite" ships are harder to get and now they add or moved to R&D *Research and Development" crates for tier 6 ships, new lockbox in STO are full of junks, no one wanted those and they flooded Exchange (AH's version). and on Sept 10th recent patch, they nerfed most of ships weapons and consoles, days of "PEW PEW" are over and now we get "pew pew" in smaller amounts of damages and longer fights.
    why bother upgrading those ships' consoles?
    used to be excited when we get "60%" crit hit weapons looted or from lockboxes, or from duty crew on away missions, and now we have "20%" crits hit chances, and captain skills nerfed same way as we have on Mod 16.
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    @fghgjfg2fg54581

Its not a waste of time -its a waste of money.

I started to actually getting something out of a LB (from VIP) in exactly same moment I stopped to buy them.

Those few from VIP are good enaugh if you got lucky (got 1 Leg T-rex in them and NO leg drop in any I bough in addition to VIP keys)

Besides back in mod lets say 10 - legandary mount like Tenser was worth about 30kk ADs.
    Now LB are 50% more expensive (750 AD :1 ZEN ratio) while legendary mounts are 8kk ADs on average.
    On top of that back then even an epic mount was worth about 1kk ADs and epic companions or even artifacts got some value. Now anything but legendary drop is worthless.

All that taken together makes lockoboxes worst possible idea to spend your ZENs on.
    And IT IS AS BAD now as @wylonus described above, and NO it was not like that before.

(To be honest - back in MOD 9-10 if you bought 1000 keys on sale (like BF, christmas or jubille) and waited for lets say double enchants event (to open enchantment boxes taken out from LB, then waited some time to all that event pass - you always were able to get not only your money back but also get nice profit - even without legendary drops).

So lockboxes in general - take free one from your VIP, and never bother trying more than that.
  • sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I can't believe you didn't know that opening lockbox is no different to gambling and thus a scam. One of the worst scam of this game which people fall into. I have used all my money on zen items or exchanged the zen to AD. I want proper value to my money, not some RNG BS. Also the chance to get leg mount is 1/800 something, so goodluck with getting one with 200 lockboxes.
  • kors#9447 kors Member Posts: 110 Arc User

Legendary mount drop is around 0.15%
  • pwimagicgamepwimagicgame Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    I do not know whether boxes are RNG or not. Cryptic NEVER comment as it's not in their interest to do so.

Obviously RNG is used on some level to handle the trash, aka 99.99 of drops, but I suspect these boxes are something like, get one legendary in the first 50 or so openings for the vast majority of people, then absolute rubbish for the rest of days. Certainly of the people I have talked to, that is what's happened.

They are a shocking waste of money and I long ago stopped buying keys. Even with the 40% discount coupon, once you have your allocated legendary, they are worthless.
    edited September 2019

I do not know whether boxes are RNG or not. Cryptic NEVER comment as it's not in their interest to do so.

Obviously RNG is used on some level to handle the trash, aka 99.99 of drops, but I suspect these boxes are something like, get one legendary in the first 50 or so openings for the vast majority of people, then absolute rubbish for the rest of days. Certainly of the people I have talked to, that is what's happened.

They are a shocking waste of money and I long ago stopped buying keys. Even with the 40% discount coupon, once you have your allocated legendary, they are worthless.

I would say vast majority of people do not get any legendary in the first 50. Not even first 500.
    Vast majority do not even get one legendary regardless how many times they try.
    I also know few lucky people who got many. Few get 2 in a row multiple times. Of course, they are tiny minority.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User

Anything that pulls from a table, like the lockboxes do, uses RNG.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited September 2019

I would say vast majority of people do not get any legendary in the first 50. Not even first 500.
    I also know few lucky people who got many. Few get 2 in a row multiple times. Of course, they are tiny minority.
    over the last 2 or 3 years i've lost count of how many i've pulled. especially since I've done platform hopping. if you include all platforms I think I'm at 10 to 15 leg pulls now. about 5 were just daily keys. in the time period when I was opening the most boxes (xbox hit 107 on the adx for a few months and the unearthed lockbox was still dropping the wand ( I never exploited it, and it wasn't necessary to exploit because the amount of ad it gave you made for unending basically free lockboxes lol. ).. I opened mannnnnyy lockboxes.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    It's all about RNG, I've pulled 6 orange mounts so far from VIP keys and a few others from key sales.
  • pwimagicgamepwimagicgame Member Posts: 53 Arc User

That was certainly how it *used* to be.
    Certainly a few lucky get positive RNG and multiple legs. Those are just part of the con.