test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Maths of the new Random Queue System

Comments

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, i guess i should have been more clearly - botters will use tank/healer loadouts for the rAD bonus from RLQs, and the regular players will be fudged. I had my fair share of Master of the Hunt and Dread Legion runs with at least one or two afk'ler or botters in them, and i'm sure it will only get worse with this update.

And afk'lers or botters don't bother with anything beyond the RLQ, since the rAD payout to time invested per run ratio probably isn't worth it. So, while it would be rather easy for anyone to reach a high enough IL even with a fresh level 80 character without any boons to get into the other RQs, there's no reason for them to do that.

Anyway, i've no problem with this change, since i've more then enough alt. characters and i'll just use two of them as tank/healer for the daily bonus rAD RLQ runs, it won't be fun but it beats waiting in the queue for hours. Also, as long as those praising these changes "put their money where their mouth is" and increase their support for the game as well, everything should work out just fine in the end...

PS: Anything on when most of the regular (especially healer) companions will become usefull again?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • oremonger#9999 oremonger Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    @asterdahl
    Seems you missed some of the paragraph you quoted, let me fix that for you. You do also realize that before level 30 there is not tank or healer role right? Last I looked Paragons become available at level 30. My whole point is that in order for people to play multiple paragons effectively they have to invest in that paragon. This is a problem for early game where AD and RP is tight, but it is also a problem at late game where it is even more expensive. Like I said CW, TR, and HR have no such requirement. SO.... Even if they made just a healing or tanking loadout they would soon find that they also need that DPS role so they can complete the Campaigns... You should try it sometime on a healer or tank loadout, FUN... So like I said 2x the investment for the same reward.

"The point of running Random queues is to make AD so that you can build your character. Are the devs trying to tell me I need to spend 2x more just to help queues pop faster as a healer than say a HR or TR who do not have a healing role?? Why would ANYONE want to do this? Add on top of this that healing has been nerfed and is pretty freaking boring. So they want me to suffer to make queues pop so that people playing DPS can queue faster and have fun?? My class is deemed SUB PAR as DPS so even if I do want to play as DPS in a random people quit or give me grief because I can't be TOP DPS???? WHAT A FREAKING MESS!!"

The problem with random queues is systemic. You know this and have for a long time, remember we warned you way back when. TBH I only REQ in premades so this does not affect me. It works and we always complete. The only reason I posted is that most new players don't. I would rather you guys work on the FREAKING BUGS AND CLASS BALANCE, but hey I guess this insignificant fire needed to be put out first.

So much for fixing "game breaking" bugs first.
  • rafamarques#5700 rafamarques Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    about role bonus, should be more atractive change RAD for AD... being 100k of limit, that extra Ad only means two days "free" to give some attection to your girlfriend (i said free between "").

another thing is... why dont replace "dps role" for supporter role, being a "brute damage" something secundary?

for example, take a party of 3 peoples. the main dps do 9m, a tank, 4 m, and a dc, 2m. by the natural evolution in some point that main dps will be able to kill enemies fast enough to tanks/healers do your job (who cares if i will tank/heal more in the future too?)

now, lets supose that main dps become a supporter too. so, instead to they cause a amout of 9m damage brute, they do 4brute+50%debuff on target. that means, in the end that support will cause 6m, tank 6m, and healer, 3m. if that happens, you will have more peoples rolling tanks and healers because they will have enough time to do your job -if damage is contigent, no more bursts - AND shine doing some important damage too.

• xenocide#6119 xenocide Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    If you don't want to fail your runs goto pr, use lfg and make a premade.
  • atwa#2521 atwa Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    lardeson said:

And why at it, you may aswel give me a class change token so i can switch to support since dpses never get any bonuses ;) Nah sorry thats kinda rediculous.

Seriously, a class change token would help a lot of things, not just this issue. Keep your boon points and change class. People would only have to get new gear. Perhaps it would come with a box of HAMSTER gear so newer players don't get stuck.

As for this queueing change, I only hope it's reversed before it reaches consoles. I can work around it as a warlock, but many players can't.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

@asterdahl
    Seems you missed some of the paragraph you quoted, let me fix that for you. You do also realize that before level 30 there is not tank or healer role right? Last I looked Paragons become available at level 30. My whole point is that in order for people to play multiple paragons effectively they have to invest in that paragon. This is a problem for early game where AD and RP is tight, but it is also a problem at late game where it is even more expensive. Like I said CW, TR, and HR have no such requirement. SO.... Even if they made just a healing or tanking loadout they would soon find that they also need that DPS role so they can complete the Campaigns... You should try it sometime on a healer or tank loadout, FUN... So like I said 2x the investment for the same reward.

"The point of running Random queues is to make AD so that you can build your character. Are the devs trying to tell me I need to spend 2x more just to help queues pop faster as a healer than say a HR or TR who do not have a healing role?? Why would ANYONE want to do this? Add on top of this that healing has been nerfed and is pretty freaking boring. So they want me to suffer to make queues pop so that people playing DPS can queue faster and have fun?? My class is deemed SUB PAR as DPS so even if I do want to play as DPS in a random people quit or give me grief because I can't be TOP DPS???? WHAT A FREAKING MESS!!"

The problem with random queues is systemic. You know this and have for a long time, remember we warned you way back when. TBH I only REQ in premades so this does not affect me. It works and we always complete. The only reason I posted is that most new players don't. I would rather you guys work on the FREAKING BUGS AND CLASS BALANCE, but hey I guess this insignificant fire needed to be put out first.

You don't need to invest anything to be an effective tank or healer for RLQ or RIQ. You can perform just fine in your dps gear. We are talking about some pretty low level content here, you don't need to be anywhere close to BiS for them.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer

@asterdahl
    Seems you missed some of the paragraph you quoted, let me fix that for you. You do also realize that before level 30 there is not tank or healer role right? Last I looked Paragons become available at level 30.

I apologize for any confusion, I did read your whole post, but sometimes only have time to respond to individual parts of a larger post. Please note that every class has a role even without a paragon path. This role is visible on their character sheet, as well as next to their health bar in the party pane.

For example: fighter and paladin are tanks before choosing a paragon path, cleric is a healer, and barbarian is a DPS. They are eligible for role bonuses with their corresponding role and fill those roles when queuing for content.

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    Can we have a resurgence of the CC role? That was a fun one and it's sad to see it no longer viable.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Part of me wants to say "remove scaling" so that the healers that do queue can effectively heal.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User

lardeson said:

asterdahl said:

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing your feedback and thoughts. We know that many of you are frustrated with the increased queue times, and I'd like to apologize for the increased wait times. We made changes to the required roles for skirmishes after looking over the data from the past few months: many groups randomly matched with non-standard group compositions had a lot more trouble with certain skirmishes. If we made adjustments to make those skirmishes easier, they would be absolutely trivial when the queue system put a standard group together, so after much debate we decided to enable role restrictions for public skirmishes instead.

As a result, queue times, specifically for the most populous role (DPS) have increased. In order to alleviate the issue, this Thursday's build will include the addition of role bonuses to the random leveling queue. Players who queue as the role most currently in need for the leveling queue will receive bonus rough AD. In addition, the leveling queue will correctly display the required roles.

We understand that there are certain skirmishes which are trivial even with a sub-optimal group composition, and that skilled players can get through almost any queue in the random leveling queue with not only a sub-optimal but an incomplete group. However, the random leveling queue is meant to be comfortable for new players to join in and learn how the game works. We made these adjustments so that the basics of tanking and healing would be reinforced early on, and so that the random leveling queue didn't lean so heavily towards only popping a handful of skirmishes because it would always build groups entirely out of DPS.

We believe that the addition of role bonuses along with the community adjusting to the changes over the next few weeks will greatly alleviate the increased queue times. We will continue to monitor the queue times moving forward and make any adjustments as needed, we appreciate your patience in the meantime!

That being said, @callumf#9018 just dont bother with Riq xd, you dont need it to cap your daily AD ;)
    I haven't maxxxed out my daily AD for months, if not a year or more.

Not that I don't need it, just that real life doesn't grant me the time since they got rid of salvage, to run enough content to get to the daily cap :)
    i just do my expeditions and req/raq or even cradles are faster
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • rafamarques#5700 rafamarques Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Please note that every class has a role even without a paragon path. This role is visible on their character sheet, as well as next to their health bar in the party pane. For example: fighter and paladin are tanks before choosing a paragon path, cleric is a healer, and barbarian is a DPS. They are eligible for role bonuses with their corresponding role and fill those roles when queuing for content.

haahhaha, Knowing this would have saved me from two discussions here.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    asterdahl said:

@asterdahl
    Seems you missed some of the paragraph you quoted, let me fix that for you. You do also realize that before level 30 there is not tank or healer role right? Last I looked Paragons become available at level 30.

I apologize for any confusion, I did read your whole post, but sometimes only have time to respond to individual parts of a larger post. Please note that every class has a role even without a paragon path. This role is visible on their character sheet, as well as next to their health bar in the party pane.

For example: fighter and paladin are tanks before choosing a paragon path, cleric is a healer, and barbarian is a DPS. They are eligible for role bonuses with their corresponding role and fill those roles when queuing for content.

A suggestion for the leveling queues:

o Provide a role bonus for the needed "short" class
    o Prioritize lowest IL levels to get in the next 3-role queue.
    o Have two traditional 3-role queues forming.
    o Have a third 'overflow' forming queue for the highest IL characters of the abundant roles. Once it fills, send it off next no matter what roles are in it.
    arazith07 said:

@asterdahl

You don't need to invest anything to be an effective tank or healer for RLQ or RIQ. You can perform just fine in your dps gear. We are talking about some pretty low level content here, you don't need to be anywhere close to BiS for them.
    I know, I am not talking about JUST RLQ and RIQ. There is a problem with ALL queues filling those roles. I guess you don't really need any Augments or Companion / Mount bonuses, artifacts, enchants or specialized gear on your tanks or healers... I mean healers and tanks are just there for the queue to pop right? Those tanks and healers can wait till they are level 80 to start buying and grinding all of those things. We all know they won't be wanted in a DPS role by then anyway right? Of course by then they will probably have created a pure DPS character anyway so the point is moot.

I'm sorry, I forget some people just run RLQ and RIQ for AD... Been a long time since I've done that. I do however remember hearing new guild and alliance members talk about how miserable both RLQ and RIQ were for them. I think it was something about people running ahead and leaving them to die, not communicating, and in one case getting vote kicked because they "didn't know WTH they were doing." These are the people I care about, they are the ones who should be in these queues anyway. Sadly most of them do not come to these forums to complain, they just quit playing the game. So now new player Tim or Sally has to wait 5x as long to get into a queue to end up with the same mentality of RUSH, RUSH to get mah AD and still die because the "Tank" and "Healer" roles are filled by folks... Why am I even trying.

Asterdahl knows very well what my point was and is. In their current state Healing / Tank classes are boring to play for most people, healing nerfs, divinity mechanics and HP bugs now make these classes both BORING and TEDIOUS. No need to wonder why there are so few people willing to play them. If you want more people to play them then make them fun and rewarding to play. New players to the game get a RUDE awakening the first time they queue for anything because of people that are only there for the quick AD. But like I said, he knows all of this already.
    edited September 2019

i have to wonder why dev communications on things like this always boil down to " hi! thanks for your input, here's why we don't care "

They just come here to placate and put out the fire until the next blunder comes up or we forget/stop posting about it. People don't give them enough credit, they are not incompetent, they know very well what all is wrong in this game. I bet you ten bucks they knew ToO was broken long before they even let it go to live, just like they knew that queue times would skyrocket if they made changes to them.

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

arazith07 said:

@asterdahl

I know, I am not talking about JUST RLQ and RIQ. There is a problem with ALL queues filling those roles. I guess you don't really need any Augments or Companion / Mount bonuses, artifacts, enchants or specialized gear on your tanks or healers... I mean healers and tanks are just there for the queue to pop right? Those tanks and healers can wait till they are level 80 to start buying and grinding all of those things. We all know they won't be wanted in a DPS role by then anyway right? Of course by then they will probably have created a pure DPS character anyway so the point is moot.

I'm sorry, I forget some people just run RLQ and RIQ for AD... Been a long time since I've done that. I do however remember hearing new guild and alliance members talk about how miserable both RLQ and RIQ were for them. I think it was something about people running ahead and leaving them to die, not communicating, and in one case getting vote kicked because they "didn't know WTH they were doing." These are the people I care about, they are the ones who should be in these queues anyway. Sadly most of them do not come to these forums to complain, they just quit playing the game. So now new player Tim or Sally has to wait 5x as long to get into a queue to end up with the same mentality of RUSH, RUSH to get mah AD and still die because the "Tank" and "Healer" roles are filled by folks... Why am I even trying.

Asterdahl knows very well what my point was and is. In their current state Healing / Tank classes are boring to play for most people, healing nerfs, divinity mechanics and HP bugs now make these classes both BORING and TEDIOUS. No need to wonder why there are so few people willing to play them. If you want more people to play them then make them fun and rewarding to play. New players to the game get a RUDE awakening the first time they queue for anything because of people that are only there for the quick AD. But like I said, he knows all of this already.
    RAQ and REQ were not included in the conversation since they have always been 100% 1-1-3 format. Even in RAQ and REQ however, the need for tanks and healers to be BIS is pretty low, or to have any investment outside of what they put in on their DPS spec. You don't need any outgoing healing for healers at all, and for tanks, as long as you have defense capped and know when to shield and when to move, you really don't need to stack a lot of HP. I am more knowledgeable on the healing side of things, so I could be mistaken about tanks.

My main point is that if you don't have time to wait around for queues, you can always either hit that loadout button and switch roles, or switch toons if you are one of the pure dps classes. AD can easily be transferred, time can be saved. Ofc if you refuse to play anything other than DPS, the downside is the wait time, which was always there in RAQ/REQ. You as a player have options.

If DPS are running ahead of the tank and healer, that is their own issue. No amount of proper tank and healer will change that. But there is also no dungeon or skirmish in RLQ that poses any serious threat to the players, every single death I have seen are due to players standing in the red. And I am not meaning that tanks and healers should completely ignore their role, just that they don't need to gear for it as their skills, feats, and passives give them plenty of tools to get the job done, and if your group doesn't need healing at all, then yay you can just dps (which is most of my runs since the changes were implemented).

I have noticed that there are significantly less bots in the queue now, which is a nice breathe of fresh air. Though maybe I was just lucky these past few days.
    edited September 2019
    @arazith07 Thanks for taking the time to explain your points. I have a 25k Cleric, a 25.7k Paladin and a 24.7k Ranger. I also have multiples of every other class except SW. I disagree with several of your points, but that is your opinion and the way you play. I'm not here to try to teach you anything or tell you how you should play the game. Like I said I don't bother with Random Queues other than the occasional REQ to help out guildies or to farm LOMM, and those are always premade.

My points are as stated in several posts in this thread and others, I am not here for myself. I am here for the new players who are probably not yet aware of these forums, and yes they do die and struggle with RLQ and RIQ even if you don't. If I really had my way RLQ would be blocked entirely for anyone who already has a level 80 character. Those people are more than capable of farming AD in other queues and in other ways. TBH I could care less about people who are crying because they can't farm AD quickly anymore. I know there are better and much faster ways to make AD. Those people are not going to quit the game because of bad experiences in queues or increased queue times. New people will quit, and this game can not afford to lose new people. I have seen it happen all too many times.

The title of this thread is: THE MATHS OF THE NEW RANDOM QUEUE SYSTEM.
    So IMO all queues are relevant to this discussion.
  • caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    @asterdahl I must confess that I spent the weekend running my Paladin and Warlock in Healer spec out of pity for the other players waiting for anything to queue up. However, with all of the Mod 16 nerfing and removal of Power-share and Lifesteal, the experience wasn't fun at all. It was tedious! Healers appear to be agro-sponges to the extent that Tanks can't keep and maintain agro while I am healing. I even had a healing companion summoned to try to take some of the pressure off, but it still wasn't enough since Mod 16 apparently turned our companions into blithering idiots. May I make a suggestion: If you are going to stick with the trinity-queue system, then PLEASE make our healer companions relevant again and maybe (just maybe) let us upgrade our companions to Mythic levels. Dedicated Healers need all the help Mythic companions could offer! However, if mythic companions are out of the question, please consider introducing a Healer-specific utility enchantment (along the lines of Tactical Enchantments) that increases outgoing healing. The Holy Enhancement could also use some love right now as I'm not seeing it proc correctly. I'm only seeing a bunch of green zeros.
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User

the idea that because people have the " option " to go play a class they don't enjoy playing instead, everything is fine, is absolutely ridiculous, really, it is. you're saying people's options are " the game sucks because i have to play classes i don't enjoy " or " the game sucks because the wait times for content are way too long and i can hardly run anything in the time i have available as a result ", and that this situation is *perfectly fine*.

In life, we all can't get our dream jobs. Most people have settle for something else or they will starve or become homeless.

the idea that because people have the " option " to go play a class they don't enjoy playing instead, everything is fine, is absolutely ridiculous, really, it is. you're saying people's options are " the game sucks because i have to play classes i don't enjoy " or " the game sucks because the wait times for content are way too long and i can hardly run anything in the time i have available as a result ", and that this situation is *perfectly fine*.

In life, we all can't get our dream jobs. Most people have settle for something else or they will starve or become homeless.
    ... or they simply move to another country, where they can at least get a job they actually enjoy.
    Want to know why?
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    @astral, have you forgotten?

pre-mod 6, we had alts for invokings to get astral diamonds and various ranked enchants and runes before 25th levels before getting paragon selected, with those diamonds we were able to buy gear upgrades from AH.

and now newer players on the first ever main character, not knowing anyone due to chat restriction with ability to ask any players for info.
    current version of getting refine gems and marks are so low and painfull to get upgrades they need, those quest rewards doesnt keep up with flow of XP levelings. rewards they get were like single items and 8-9 level behind when they reach 1st 20 levels.
    they are running around in 6th level gears or in 10th level gears when they need 20th or most updated gears to meet and have better survival ability, when they keep dying during boss fights before finding help to carry them and to win for rewards.

before Mod 6, all the characters were able to get rank 1's, 2's,and 3's and had plenty of ADs. pulling out low rank enchants and runes are very bad call when there is newer players that never seen until they first see rank 4's or 5's dropped when looting as they reach level 30-35 for first time. you put those too far to reach for early levels.
    original CTA events dropped plenty of 1's and 2's and they also need companion gears for low level pets, they never had Gateway, since you devs pull that out of game and they cant get any upgrades during leveling process.
    they need full set of updated gears and proper ranked enchants and runes for companions.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    regenerde said:

... or they simply move to another country, where they can at least get a job they actually enjoy.

Sure, some can do that if the see a better country and have the inclination to do so. But most will just stay at their soul-sucking job. Who knows, maybe some even get good at the job and learn to enjoy it.
    edited September 2019

regenerde said:

Sure, some can do that if the see a better country and have the inclination to do so. But most will just stay at their soul-sucking job. Who knows, maybe some even get good at the job and learn to enjoy it.
    Everyone can do that, especially when their friends allready have done it, there're more then enough countries around that offer jobs with better workspaces, nicer colleagues, health insurance and of course lower taxes.

But enough with the double talk and let's cut to the chase, unless you and any other player that's supporting these changes have actually started spending more money on NWO, there isn't anything left to discuss.

The game is losing players, and new players aren't going to stick around "learning" or rather suffering to play a class/role they don't like. There're other well established games out there, and new games are being released regulary as well.

The next Neverember's Recruitment Event in less then 3 weeks might breath some life back into the game, but unless there're changes being made to the RLQ beyond the rAD bonus, i doubt that the new players drawn in by the event will stay in NWO when it ends.
    Want to know why?
  • pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    They made this game a paradise for bot DC/Healers now , you didn't fix nothing , only worst for everybody else