test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discussion about DPS fighter

2»

Comments

• bojshabojsha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Why does it always have to be a DPS chase on the dungeon, why cant we just have fun?
  • dspeic43#8473 dspeic43 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I agree that we should have fun. But that depends on the person and what they think is fun. Whats fun for someone is not necessarily fun for someone else. For some people casually playing and poking around a dungeon or two is fun for sure. For others it means having their character doing tons of damage or speed running dungeons.

If they tuned the DPS side of GF and made it competitive with the other classes in damage output would it not still be fun? I dont think anyone would argue that doing less damage would be more fun? Although I am sure they're are those people out there. Lol.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    bojsha said:

Why does it always have to be a DPS chase on the dungeon, why cant we just have fun?

I "love" failing Tower DPS checks simply because of the class I'm playing.

If they tuned the DPS side of GF and made it competitive with the other classes in damage output would it not still be fun? I dont think anyone would argue that doing less damage would be more fun? Although I am sure they're are those people out there. Lol.

I don't speak for everyone, but ... even if deeps Goofy Fighter had double the damage potential of Wizard, I wouldn't play due to a lack of depth.

The 5 choices available and most of the passives don't radically change how I approach combat, or alter how I build myself, or changed how I worked with teammates.

Take, for example, the old Wrathful Warrior feat (gain a damage buff when you have Temporary HP). A simple feat, but the limited and tiny sources of TempHP are what gave the feat depth.

I would guess the intended design was that you were to challenge your ITF timing, as ITF was the only reliable source of TempHP available to the GF. Since the rest of the class design wanted you to get hit to build stacks, you couldn't just spam ITF 24/7 for free damage, you had to be patient and observant to find an opportunity to use ITF (which was thematic to a class design that required you to fight smarter, not harder).

You could also attempt to increase the feat's uptime by picking up the Grit and Take Measure feats, or pick up some items that would grant TempHP (Purified Overloads). Or, I could work with specific teammates to ensure I have greater uptime on the buff. A Paladin could grant me Absolution to protect my TempHP or ask the DC to occasionally fit in a full 3 hit combo of Sacred Flame ... or you could be one of those lazy GFs that had a buffbot GF spam ITF and/or a buffbot HR spamming Longstrider, Commanding Shot, and Stag Heart.

Compare this one feat to the other 10 we have.

Aside from "use Heavy Slash every 10 seconds for the buff/every time you get a Heavy Slash proc", or "use (x) power after (y) power," I am playing pretty much the same from 30 to 80. I always take a dump on the toilet for meter, use encounters when you're buffed and off cooldown, and hold down At-wills until you regain your Encounter powers, rinse and repeat.

(Crushing Blows is decent if you're new, but may as well not exist if you have decent gear due to gimping your Power being a terrible idea.

Both Weight of Vengeance and Landwaster require your meter be charged to a certain percentage, but the former's Vengeance requirement is a non issue on bosses with Rolling Hatred being the only "real" 3rd choice, and the latter may as well not exist given how slow the animation is and how quick mobs die

Executioner's Cut doesn't exist for most of a boss fight and mobs die right before you can make use of it.

Bloody Reprise more or less rewards you for doing what you're already doing: unloading your encounters one after another you made sure you're buffed with Heavy Slash/CA/etc. The only time you're missing this is if you need to deal with mechanics, of which is not exclusive to goofy figher and almost always involves you taking forced damage, which allows you to simply shield for meter.)

[...] ( is this why you call him GOOFY FIGHTER? because he feels clunky and goofy to play?) [...]

Because the class is the "replacement" for the old Guardian Fighter, but with not much of the depth.

(The depth could be seen if you didn't rely on busted items like Shepherds/Artificer's/a full buff team with every uncapped buff available. So, your average pug team ... like in 98% of all the pug rAQ teams I did in Mod 15).
    Post edited by rjc9000 on

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

bojsha said:

I "love" failing Tower DPS checks simply because of the class I'm playing.

I don't speak for everyone, but ... even if deeps Goofy Fighter had double the damage potential of Wizard, I wouldn't play due to a lack of depth.

The 5 choices available and most of the passives don't radically change how I approach combat, or alter how I build myself, or changed how I worked with teammates.

Take, for example, the old Wrathful Warrior feat (gain a damage buff when you have Temporary HP). A simple feat, but the limited and tiny sources of TempHP are what gave the feat depth.

I would guess the intended design was that you were to challenge your ITF timing, as ITF was the only reliable source of TempHP available to the GF. Since the rest of the class design wanted you to get hit to build stacks, you couldn't just spam ITF 24/7 for free damage, you had to be patient and observant to find an opportunity to use ITF (which was thematic to a class design that required you to fight smarter, not harder).

You could also attempt to increase the feat's uptime by picking up the Grit and Take Measure feats, or pick up some items that would grant TempHP (Purified Overloads). Or, I could work with specific teammates to ensure I have greater uptime on the buff. A Paladin could grant me Absolution to protect my TempHP or ask the DC to occasionally fit in a full 3 hit combo of Sacred Flame ... or you could be one of those lazy GFs that had a buffbot GF spam ITF and/or a buffbot HR spamming Longstrider, Commanding Shot, and Stag Heart.

Compare this one feat to the other 10 we have.

Aside from "use Heavy Slash every 10 seconds for the buff/every time you get a Heavy Slash proc", or "use (x) power after (y) power," I am playing pretty much the same from 30 to 80. I always take a dump on the toilet for meter, use encounters when you're buffed and off cooldown, and hold down At-wills until you regain your Encounter powers, rinse and repeat.

(Crushing Blows is decent if you're new, but may as well not exist if you have decent gear due to gimping your Power being a terrible idea.

Both Weight of Vengeance and Landwaster require your meter be charged to a certain percentage, but the former's Vengeance requirement is a non issue on bosses with Rolling Hatred being the only "real" 3rd choice, and the latter may as well not exist given how slow the animation is and how quick mobs die

Executioner's Cut doesn't exist for most of a boss fight and mobs die right before you can make use of it.

Bloody Reprise more or less rewards you for doing what you're already doing: unloading your encounters one after another you made sure you're buffed with Heavy Slash/CA/etc. The only time you're missing this is if you need to deal with mechanics, of which is not exclusive to goofy figher and almost always involves you taking forced damage, which allows you to simply shield for meter.)

[...] ( is this why you call him GOOFY FIGHTER? because he feels clunky and goofy to play?) [...]

Because the class is the "replacement" for the old Guardian Fighter, but with not much of the depth.

(The depth could be seen if you didn't rely on busted items like Shepherds/Artificer's/a full buff team with every uncapped buff available. So, your average pug team ... like in 98% of all the pug rAQ teams I did in Mod 15).
    Other than potty squat all classes seem to play the same.
  • roxie#4965 roxie Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    bojsha said:

No one answered it honestly, this is hopeless.

* DPS loadout on the Fighters is there for to help with campagain tasks, but in general he is a TANK class.*

fsf4live said:

> @bojsha said:

> Why would you guys want to play Fighter as DPS? The real reason.

Because tanks are useless in mod 16. You don't need a tank to clear a dungeon (except of CR maybe). And tanking is really boring for me.

DPSing is quite funny.

Nah, you just pus out, thats whats happening here, playing a tank is never boring.
    devilxjk said:

ok, fighter is realy fun to play (for me)(not the seethe), so the problem is that everyone avoid dps fighter , cause dps is not good enough,

Yup, its not ment to be super good since he is TANK.
    I dont understand this logic. WoW got away from the hybrid tax on dps years ago. In tank mode no he shouldnt be top dps, but in dps mode he should be on par with the other dps. Its an antiquated idea to make a hybrid class suffer in their dps spec just because they happen to have a tank or heal spec also. Remember you can only play one spec at a time, other games realized this and removed the dps penalty. In those games when you are spec for dps you are balanced for dps, when you are spec tank you dps plummets. Sensible yes?