test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tales of Old is STILL Broken... Will update as needed

andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User
edited August 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
FIXED. Thank you
"terramak"We're looking into the difficulty of the Tales of Old: The Dread Vault event, but we haven't been able to lock down changes that we can safely get live today. The event will continue running through the weekend as-is, and we hope to do the following next week:
*Extend the "Tales of Old: The Dread Vault" event by one week, ending September 12 instead of September 5.
*To accommodate that, reschedule Coins of Waukeen to September 19-23, delayed from September 5-9.
*Test how it feels when we raise the maximum item level of the event, and see whether we need to make any additional changes from there.

Tales of Old is still doing something crazy with scaling, it's not complete able.
Come ON GUYS this is a TIMED event.
T1 is doable, T2 is quite hard, T3 is pretty much impossible.
This is with groups that are TOMM ready and trained.

Now you need to extend this event or give us all free currency. :(

We found ZERO hourglasses in these as well, so it's completely undoable, has anyone found any, anywhere?
Update: some instances are spawning EITHER hearts or hourglasses, but not both.

Where is our developer announcement extending or rescheduling this event?
I've put a HUGE amount of time into this event, completing it on three characters the last two times and now yall are just giving me... nothing.
I'm disgusted.
WHERE ARE THE DEVS? WE CARE WHEN OUR GAME DOESNT WORK.
picar66 said:

Scaling to 16k. as old tales are introduced 16k was a very high value (think around 19k was max to that time).
Now 16k is meh and further sacled down, dungeon is impossible.

So the beginning scale in relation have to be around 23k (now that 27k is max) not 16k il.

You can see very clearly that on run1 with artifacts all is fine (even if at 16k il), but if artifacts are forbitten in run 2+ the group has a hard time. Thats where you can see that more then 60% of damage comes from artifact and that is bad.
its not anymore a player skill test, its who has better Artifact (and artifact scales with power from char). And that is on all other contend the same. This makes high power low stat values on all stats the "best" Players, cause of high damage scaled artifacts.
IMHO the wrong direction of this gamedesign.

Hope you find a way to solve it for running event, or extend (repeat) event after fixing it.

lardeson said:

The dungeon is broken, due to scaling, first you are scaled down, and it seems that at each difficulty, the enemies become tougher and hit harder, WHICH SHOULDN'T BE A THING, the difficulty is not supposed to boost the enemies but to nerf you by disabling your artifact, making ur cooldowns longer, decreasing ur defense and power by 50%, but its rather nerfing you and at the same time boosting enemies.

menkhar said:

Cryptic, you are making this event not practical for decently geared/skilled "casual" players, and pandering to a base of like (maybe) 10-35 ppl who can get an artifact here, let alone the additions to the artifact, or the scarf/sash ...
That defeats the entire purpose of such an event, which (IMO) could be around LOMM level (or slightly less difficult), but instead is turning off lots of folks (most folks I talked to are not thrilled, and are doing other things in-game instead).
I really love this game (didn't mind the class tree overhaul in Mod 16, for example), but Cryptic you're making it harder and harder for me to play/support this game, if you have such a broken event.

Eliminate scaling in this Tales of Old Event, and I'm quite sure that most of the fanbase will be quite happy with it.

bojsha said:

If you get dissconected by the server, you get kicked out of party and send to city, wow.

Post edited by andorrabell on

Comments

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Yes, did a couple of runs yesterday, 1 is fine, 2 is extremely tricky, 3 is impossible.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • maruda#1373 maruda Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    There is nothing like thoughtful events. Last time there were also problems with this event, of course they were not fixed. And now there was 100% certainty that the new scaling would not work. But who would be interested in this ...
  • devilxjkdevilxjk Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    my question...have someone completed it on test server at x5?
  • nachodx22nachodx22 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I actually did not realize tales would be scaled! I was shocked to see my IL capped at 16k for this event. I remember dread vault being so difficult to complete, that we would run Castle Never instead, but the dynamics have changed too much since then. Tales needs to remove scaling... bad. And scalling needs to be fixed on test server before it is implemented on live.
    -Nacho Skymont
    Quixaltic Guild Leader
    GH20, pm for inv
  • divinity#8199 divinity Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I don't understand how this is possible. Every single time a tales of old is released, it is bugged/broken or who knows what, do you even test them?
    Please fix them. It is a limited event time, mobs doo too much dmg.
  • ramesh84ramesh84 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Personal stat scaling looks ok-ish, my toon got down to 60k, that should be fine for an epic dung, and indeed effectiveness was 100%+, tho there's probably a big difference in critter's dmg between +1 and +2.
    Want to add a different PoV, what about issue wasn't current level of challenge but reward cost? I mean I'm fine with a +5 close to impossible if that would get a chapter from that, not 30 coins. Same for lower ranks completed.
    On the bright side gotta say that having back old dungeon always reminds me how strategy was more a thing back in the past..
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    At this point players who worked hard for the other 2 events will not get the fabled chapter so the progress is hamstered

this, and the artifact not being scaled to 300 IL is a big issue because this was a good idea to give good rewards for a year-long event that needed a lot of farming.

So, now the items are not so great (I dont know if the belt-neck set is still a good alternative to others) and the work done is being ignored by a bad scaling system.

Why put this on preview then? this is a waste of time for everyone.

If people cant get this fabled chapter, better dont invest time in the 4th part of the event.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • mord#3639 mord Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I've run this on both previous events and it was not this difficult. It is near impossible to complete a x3. The only way to complete the last boss is to use the environment to your 'advantage' with ranged classes. I can't imagine anyone completing a x4 simply due to the time and death limit never mind a x5...
  • midnightitamidnightita Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    m16 boys
  • sorcio2sorcio2 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    ... just fix this and gives us more time pls. i need this third journal
  • gormenghast1gormenghast1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 88 Arc User
    I'm afraid we'll keep debating for a solution till the end of the event and possibly over. Shame for that third unobtainable book that so many would have gladly grinded for :/
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Both time and number of deaths are the problem. The first run is easy with aoe artifacts like tymoras coin or op sigil working, the second run often the deaths stack up, particularly against tanks and melee dps when they get surrounded. And as runs are long compared to previous events, 3, 4 and 5 will be really up against the clock.

As icing on the cake the chests are broken, allowing only one person to open them.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • sixkilla78sixkilla78 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    disappointed way to hard with scaling
  • andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User

At this point players who worked hard for the other 2 events will not get the fabled chapter so the progress is hamstered

this, and the artifact not being scaled to 300 IL is a big issue because this was a good idea to give good rewards for a year-long event that needed a lot of farming.

So, now the items are not so great (I dont know if the belt-neck set is still a good alternative to others) and the work done is being ignored by a bad scaling system.

Why put this on preview then? this is a waste of time for everyone.

If people cant get this fabled chapter, better dont invest time in the 4th part of the event.

Where is the COMMUNICATION? Where is the event extension? Seriously this is an event we have ALREADY spent an exponential amount of time on. I completed this event on THREE characters the last two times and now... I cannot progress.

Masterwork IV turn ins are STILL BROKEN since November of last year.

Do the devs want people to play this game?
  • pwimagicgamepwimagicgame Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Really, really you guys need new top management. To much crooked activity around AD, too many fails in game. Auction bug where you can't place items after a patch not fixed in a year. Etc. etc. etc. No compensation for anything.

Just bad. Really bad.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

As icing on the cake the chests are broken, allowing only one person to open them.

As long as you leave one item in the chest, other players can open it and get their own loot. As soon as any player empties the chest, it locks for everyone else.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    death to scaling!
    we players didnt ask for scaling, not this kind of scaling.
    they wont fix CTA or any weekend events. why released bugged or poorly made, or got too lazy? make players frustrated? we want our game back and fun.

no fix? then no more buying monthly VIP! not going to feed you chupacabras unless it all fixed!
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    Rubbish, This is not a 10-15 minute Dungeon. you can't just run by all the Monsters, you have to kill them. In 1 run we got 2 - TWO!! 10 min time extensions and 1 extra life, In another we got 4 extra lives. And one from one of the Mimics, I got 30 Trinkets, 20 got me the vanity pet +.
  • milyenmilyen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    Impossible to do #2 last boss. Tier 1 is doable and it gets messy at last boss. Tier #2 + just nightmare. Not many Hourglass timers or extra lives in the entire dungeon.
    Scaling is capped which is a joke with the current scaling problems. You have no idea how long I cherished running this event and now with this stunt you failed to comprehend the disappointment. Your lack of QA and testing events, scripts, dungeons, scaling, content is directly leading to loss of player base.
    Solutions : You need to remove the scaling in this event dungeon. Look at adding more Houseglass timers / extra lives. Extend duration of event.

I dare you developers to play this dungeon with the average player gear capped at IL 16000 and see how far you get.
  • picar66picar66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    Scaling to 16k. as old tales are introduced 16k was a very high value (think around 19k was max to that time).

So the beginning scale in relation have to be around 23k (now that 27k is max) not 16k il.

You can see very clearly that on run1 with artifacts all is fine (even if at 16k il), but if artifacts are forbitten in run 2+ the group has a hard time. Thats where you can see that more then 60% of damage comes from artifact and that is bad.
    its not anymore a player skill test, its who has better Artifact (and artifact scales with power from char). And that is on all other contend the same. This makes high power low stat values on all stats the "best" Players, cause of high damage scaled artifacts.

Hope you find a way to solve it for running event, or extend (repeat) event after fixing it.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited August 2019

Rubbish, This is not a 10-15 minute Dungeon. you can't just run by all the Monsters, you have to kill them. In 1 run we got 2 - TWO!! 10 min time extensions and 1 extra life, In another we got 4 extra lives. And one from one of the Mimics, I got 30 Trinkets, 20 got me the vanity pet +.

im guessing you've completed x5 difficulty? your comment sounds too arrogant otherwise. We know this game is about rng, but this is an event that should be accesible by all players with min 16k since its "scaled", unless they dont even understand what scaling is supposed to me, this shouldn't even be as difficult as lomm, let alone tomm, it should only be as difficult as Tong considering the ratings. stage 2 is already tougher than lomm. If you guys got 100 bonuses, you think others did? nope, i was checking the timer yesterday and at stage 2 we only has 40 mins left, cause we only found 1 timer the whole run. So yes, sorry to burst ur bubble but this game isn't fair to everyone as you think, not everyone will get 100 bonuses like you did, in some runs we dint even see a bonus till stage 2, so tell me more about the "rubbish"

The dungeon is broken, due to scaling, first you are scaled down, and it seems that at each difficulty, the enemies become tougher and hit harder, WHICH SHOULDN'T BE A THING, the difficulty is not supposed to boost the enemies but to nerf you by disabling your artifact, making ur cooldowns longer, decreasing ur defense and power by 50%, but its rather nerfing you and at the same time boosting enemies.

And considering the fact that its just an event, which is timed, it shouldn't take more than 10-15minutes per stage, considering stage 4 and 5 take alot longer, you dont need to spend the whole day just to get ur 45 coins.
    Post edited by lardeson on
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • menkharmenkhar Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Agree in full with practically all comments here: could barely beat Tier 1 (did the classic strat of 2-3 ranged DPS on boss brain), and got killed by the mobs on Tier 2, 2nd boss (too much AOE/Slam combos from the mobs, and the mobs were doing more dmg/had more HP as well -- so the mobs scale, but the player characters are kept at the same 16k ilvl?).
    That's all fine, good, and dandy if this event will repeat itself (exactly as is) next year, but the in-game text for the event doesn't support that. Also, as it is now, Tiers 3-5 are much, much tougher than TOMM. Who exactly is gonna get the artifact from this event? Folks living on Red Bull, extra strong coffee, and Mountain Dew? 'Cause most folks might do a few Tier 1 runs, and that's about it ...

Noticeably, the amount of folks in PE zone chat asking to group up for this event quickly died down after the first few hours ....

Really, scaling for this event is horrible, and shouldn't exist.
    Cryptic, you are making this event not practical for decently geared/skilled "casual" players, and pandering to a base of like (maybe) 10-35 ppl who can get an artifact here, let alone the additions to the artifact, or the scarf/sash ...
    That defeats the entire purpose of such an event, which (IMO) could be around LOMM level (or slightly less difficult), but instead is turning off lots of folks (most folks I talked to are not thrilled, and are doing other things in-game instead).
    I really love this game (didn't mind the class tree overhaul in Mod 16, for example), but Cryptic you're making it harder and harder for me to play/support this game, if you have such a broken event.

Eliminate scaling in this Tales of Old Event, and I'm quite sure that most of the fanbase will be quite happy with it.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    picar66 said:

I dont think artifacts are the reason you dont get one shot at stage 1, but even normal adds can one shot you at stage 2. Ofc artifacts are nice to have but they certainly dont cover up 60% nor are the reasons normal enemies get rediculous tougher each stage, just a bad scaling, enemies are not scaled and seem to be getting buffed each stage, which is not how previous tales of old event worked.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • mantrastudiomantrastudio Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    Tales Of Yelling, Pouting, Hoping, Disappointment, maybe even getting banned for being too harsh and disrespectful?

That would be me, but its not working.

I dont know what to do or say anymore to help this game out. People do want to play it, but why does situation have to keep happening over and over and over.

All I can, since I posted this thread the last tales of old is maybe change the game management? I wish I didn't have to say it out loud, but no one is listening it seems.

Even if you took me out of the picture the situation is still the same

Tales of Godot!!!

• gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Yesterday I did 1 run and it worked fine, but final boss at x2 needs a very organized group. I won't even bother at x3.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Down scaling should be taboo in every game
  • hugienwnhugienwn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    This is just another example of poor attention to detail from a team that doesn't playtest (or play, period) their own game even close to enough. The fact that the event is still scaling players to 16k & applying the same debuffs as in pre-mod16 tells me that the team was too busy or ignorant to realize the implications of mod16's changes on the game. News flash: 16k isn't "really-well-geared" anymore! Scaling us down for what is supposed to be challenging group content for well-geared players doesn't make sense! And, now that recovery and lifesteal are things of the past, the debuffs on encounter cooldown time and self-damage from at-wills are just absolutely silly. I really don't feel like any of this is rocket science!

This instance of incompetence is particularly frustrating to me, as Tales of Old is/was one of my favorite things that NW has done in recent memory, and I have been around long enough to have enjoyed (sort of :) ) Dread Vault before it was whisked away for a few years. Seeing it now rendered nigh-impossible due to design/developer/QA neglect or ignorance is a real shame.

I hope that the team at Cryptic sees these messages and takes aggressive action in fixing this event, but with nitocris on medical leave for a few weeks, I am not optimistic that anything on the forums is going to get much attention, certainly not before the event ends.
  • groo111groo111 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Or if fix is to hard to implement fast. Just allow T1s to give 5 or 6 coins.