test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Private Wilfred

rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
edited August 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
You really did rename him .... to forgotten adventurer on death forge..

damn #neverforgotten

Comments

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    They had to do that to fill a plot hole in the tutorial. If you have a new character run the tutorial it plays out much better and Wilfred is standing by Knox when you enter the city.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • nachodx22nachodx22 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    If I;m not mistaken, you fight him in one of the Dread Ring minidungeons.
    -Nacho Skymont
    Quixaltic Guild Leader
    GH20, pm for inv
    nachodx22 said:

That is what the original poster is talking about, he is now renamed in the DF as "forgotten adventurer". It isn't that big of a deal, I never cared for the under developed character attachment. I actually did play your Foundry @hustin1 although I gave you a hard time about it, I did mention it to Foss. I told him, they should talk to you about any additional plots concerning Private Wilfred.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Just think, if he hadn't died originally, he might have been a Benton.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User

nachodx22 said:

That is what the original poster is talking about, he is now renamed in the DF as "forgotten adventurer". It isn't that big of a deal, I never cared for the under developed character attachment. I actually did play your Foundry @hustin1 although I gave you a hard time about it, I did mention it to Foss. I told him, they should talk to you about any additional plots concerning Private Wilfred.
    Are you sure you aren't confusing me with @warrians ? His Foundry quests were the "Zero to Hero" series that featured Wilfred. Mine revolved around my redcap village.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    hustin1 said:

nachodx22 said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing me with @warrians ? His Foundry quests were the "Zero to Hero" series that featured Wilfred. Mine revolved around my redcap village.
    I thought that was one of yours, oh well, not like Thomas Foss is knocking your door down for ideas correct? :wink:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

nachodx22 said:

Were you that one that had the one redcap questline involving blood magic goblins and had a redcap named Narf? I did play that mission or the one first quest for that. If so it was very fascinating but long. But interesting I was impressed by how you if you were the one that made the quest made the redcaps relate able . They are not just evil monsters they are just trying to survive like anyone else.
  • playasinnombreplayasinnombre Member Posts: 42 Arc User

You really did rename him .... to forgotten adventurer on death forge..

damn #neverforgotten

#neverforgotten

hustin1 said:

nachodx22 said:

Were you that one that had the one redcap questline involving blood magic goblins and had a redcap named Narf? I did play that mission or the one first quest for that. If so it was very fascinating but long. But interesting I was impressed by how you if you were the one that made the quest made the redcaps relate able . They are not just evil monsters they are just trying to survive like anyone else.
    Basically that is how it goes in all culture's history. In this case, the Iliyanbruen abandoned the lands and the dark fey moved in on it. They started converting the land to their standards. If you think about it, imagine you are a farmer working the land all your life and people that owned it 500 year ago now want it back. They claim you are destroying the land with your farming and irrigation systems. You vile farmer! :grin:
    wb-cenders.gif

hustin1 said:

nachodx22 said:

Wow. He made such an impression that you remember his name. I must have done my job! :smiley:
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    hustin1 said:

hustin1 said:

nachodx22 said:

Wow. He made such an impression that you remember his name. I must have done my job! :smiley:
    When I was in junor high many years ago a teacher had this show called pinky and the brain she played in the class once in the while. Pinky would say Naarf or Narf!. So yeah I did remember that and well recognized the name! So yeah I thought it was a reference to that. So that is why the name of the Redcap is kinda rememberable to me. Because of that cartoon.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Snarf?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    greywynd said:

Snarf?

That was Thundercats! HOOOOOO!

Pinky and the Brain was part of Animaniacs, then spun off to it's own show.
  • aodfireravenaodfireraven Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    The memorial on Sleeping Dragon bridge was also changed to forgotten adventure
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    For myself at least, Wilfred was a joke character. At best he was the scrub who dies to make the villain look tough. That said, IMO there were a lot better ways that the studio could have spent the time this change took.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    From an author's point of view, Wilfred was a weak plot device to move you through the tutorial and then later made a poor comeback. Linkletter's had more depth, they even had a background story and we see them again in the Chasm. We get more attached to well developed characters. Xuna is almost a private Wilfred, we don't know much about her and only get a glimmer into her personality in SKT. So there are under developed characters and more of them. I thought by now we should be hearing more about them but they stopped after Chult and dropped it there. We see Celeste later but it is all business and no news about relationships with Knox, Makos, Xuna, and Celeste.

As for Wilfred, if you look to your right as you get the horse, Private Wilfred is standing right there. So I wouldn't consider him to be the same person who died on the bridge or is in the Death Forge. I think they could have or should have used him in other quests to endear him to the player.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • brandemisbrandemis Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    WILFRED!!!! NOOOOOO!!! #neverforgotten
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    pitshade said:

For myself at least, Wilfred was a joke character. At best he was the scrub who dies to make the villain look tough. That said, IMO there were a lot better ways that the studio could have spent the time this change took.

Wilfred was a newb (just like all of us are when we meet him) who died to make the villian look evil. Which she is.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I didn't die on Sleeping Dragon Bridge the first time I ran it. He did something stupid and paid for it. There isn't a similarity there.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

<

When I was in junor high many years ago a teacher had this show called pinky and the brain she played in the class once in the while. Pinky would say Naarf or Narf!. So yeah I did remember that and well recognized the name! So yeah I thought it was a reference to that. So that is why the name of the Redcap is kinda rememberable to me. Because of that cartoon.

Jeez...discussing Pinky and the Brain as an historical artifact. I feel sooooo old.
    Narf!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 117 Arc User

<

Jeez...discussing Pinky and the Brain as an historical artifact. I feel sooooo old.
    Narf!
    Poit!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    Remember, the theme song says "one is a genius, the other's insane" but it doesn't say which is which....

Ahem.

Yeah, yanking Wilfred like this sucks. Bad call.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    He's not dead!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • notgoodguynotgoodguy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Greetings.
    And apologies for responding to this post so "late."

I did not read this post and responses until today. It's been a while for me for reading/posting as I don't normally bother with forums...usually. Whatever game or type of game I play, I play it to "play" it. Those of the same mindset will understand that. Having written that I am approaching this as a player, not designer or gamer or dev or DM for that matter. Just a player.

Anywho. I've been playing for a few years now and only experienced the new tutorial with the release of the Gith pc race.

I have to say it does 'feel' diminished in some way. Having made around 15 avatars/toons/pcs/whatever you wish to name them. I have experienced the tutorials several times (I've made 3 giths). Although "weak" I did make an 'attachment' to Private Wilfred. And was 'upset' when I saw him as a zombie. I had to make sure I destroyed him with much vigor and regret. Which in turn made me 'dislike' the Lich Queen even more so. This of course left me bummed out that he was 'removed' from the storytelling.

Having said all that. I understand the want and need for change. But I think the tutorial could have been done a little bit differently. Just a little. Originally having Private W killed on the bridge did not truly hint at the threat of lich witch. And it showed just how dulled witted the Private was.
    In the present version of the tutorial it only shows how weak Makos (sp?) is? As stated before he just took down a dracolich and was raring to go. In both cases you don't really get to 'feel' the real threat that she is.

Now I would have liked the tutorial to have been a tad bit different. Games like this are always about the story. Big and small. Private Wilfred should have been at the gate to the bridge. Offering to accompany 'us' (Makos and your hero). Be it by request or duty. During the fight on the bridge Private Wilfred wouldn't be much help...showing his weakness (a.k.a. lower level) whereas Makos uses his higher powered spells...showing his strength (a.k.a. higher level), not so much to take away from the fight. Perhaps right before the actual fighting starts Makos could have taken out a group of skeletons in one shot. Perhaps.
    Anywho. Both are on the bridge with you when you encounter the lich witch. Private stupidly charges in, Makos runs after him stating 'oh no' or 'what a fool'...something like that. Then the lich witch does her SUPER SWAT and takes them both out. Makos lives, perhaps injured, Private Wilfred dies.
    In this way you see the kind of threat she is and how tough Makos is.

Well that is my perception. And I just wanted to get it out there. Once again apologies for responding months later. Thanks for 'hearing' me out.

Good journies to all.
  • kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    Did they do something with the Lore at the start of Castle Never?
    kitkathd said:

Yup, they changed the lore.

I can only conclude that there is *no one* left at Cryptic with any appreciation for storytelling. They have dial-twisters and artists in spades, but a compelling storyline is utterly lost on them.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

kitkathd said:

Yup, they changed the lore.

I can only conclude that there is *no one* left at Cryptic with any appreciation for storytelling. They have dial-twisters and artists in spades, but a compelling storyline is utterly lost on them.
    Whoever is in charge now wants to take the RP out of NW and make a cartoon action game that they can set on automatic and never have to deal with updating story or new lore. Having story and good RP requires good writers and voice actors which tend to be expensive. And since their budget it obvious nearly nothing now, that ain't gonna happen.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts