test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A very new player’s feedback

maximilianlares#1332 maximilianlares Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited August 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
Today I lured my friend to start Neverwinter. I told him that the game is free, education is short, leveling is fast and useful items can be easily bought for real money. He created a Wizard and started playing, me sitting next to him to give advice. Here’s his feedback:

- The game looks awesome, and you can create a really nice character
-
- Education is way too long and exhausting. (I told him it is shorter now than it was!) Too many mobs to fight right after you created a character. Too long way before you can simply look around and try something – walk, jump, look around, look into inventory, look at your character, weapons and gear. A fight with a boss at the bridge is tough (He died twice). The education seems to be designed not to attract a new player, but to make him leave immediately and uninstall the game. Well, education is a kind of a showcase for any game.What we get now: “You will suffer here, go away! This game is for those who already played it!”

- After completing the education he walked around the Protectorate and tried some things: send me a letter, add me as a friend, write “Hi all!” in a zone chat. None of that can be done. Well, ok: I suppose that letters and zone chat are disabled to prevent spammers to use a free game for their dark purpose. But making friends? Any reason for disabling that?

- Finally, I told him that he can quickly get a mount and other useful things at ZEN market. He tried to by ZEN at arcgames.com, and guess what? He couldn’t! Well… He wants to spend REAL MONEY. Why disabling that until some quests are done? He laughed and said: “They don’t even want my money – a clear statement that I should go away!” I told him that making quests to unlocked will be quick, yet he just smiled and said: “Better go play (mmorpg gamename - I will not write where he invited me) with me. At least they will take your money right after character creation”.

That’s it. He just uninstalled Neverwinter. He loves all these things – beautiful armor, swords and magick. He wants to play with me. But Neverwinter seems not to be attractive for a new player. It is not welcoming – it seems hostile and harsh. Sadly.
Tagged:

Comments

• frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    I don't know how the refreshed intro is, but people usually tend to forget using potions during the intro. Those might help.

He can't add friends because that's also a nuisance bots or spammers can do to random strangers. You can add him instead.

And finally, I don't know about that but it's probably some user error because I recall reading that purchases remove account restrictions without having to wait for later in the game.
    Anyways, I generally wouldn't recommend spending without experiencing basically any of the game and that definitely isn't a reason to quit imo.
    FrozenFire
  • We tried to buy ZEN just yeasterday, so restrcition is still there.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User

We tried to buy ZEN just yeasterday, so restrcition is still there.

Through ARC or Steam?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • We tried to buy ZEN just yeasterday, so restrcition is still there.

Through ARC or Steam?
    Through the arcgames.com

edited August 2019

We tried to buy ZEN just yeasterday, so restrcition is still there.

Through ARC or Steam?
    Through the arcgames.com

Their lose.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • maturutukimaturutuki Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    There should be free epic mount from recruit a friend (for max 10lvl character on account) system at 20lvl:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/nw-refer-a-friend
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    From what I recall from my time doing the intro back long ago is that once you reach around level 20 and get done with a few of the leveling zones the restriction to talk and add friends gets lifted allowing you to do both.
    Also you should have told your friend straight up how the game really is because from what I read you only told him minor things that got his mind wondering instead of giving him a 100% run down just how the real game is.
    For starters the leveling process is nothing more then a big long dreadful to a point tutorial that you must get thru before you are able to really experience the game as a whole.
    That is not added that you must put time into the game to actually reach the item level requirements to experience the dungeons in the game.
    I believe this should really be made clear to any new person so they have a real idea just what they are really getting into and then decide if their time is better wasted in neverwinter or something else.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    I think it's actually time played
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited August 2019

I think it's actually time played

For sure, it is not time played. There is list of requirement somewhere.

Edit: found it

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1222015/pc-combating-gold-spammers/p1
  • originalsin#4257 originalsin Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    If your friend found the reworked tutorial too long then he won’t be able to stomach the rest of the game. Imagine when he gets to the campaigns.

The difficulty of the first boss varies a lot by class. Some classes start of with daily abilities that can almost one shot the guy. I personally consider wizards one of the hard ones.

On the other hand, has your friend played a lot of RPGs before? Mages tend to be really squishy and difficult to play for a beginner. You start with 2 character slots, get him to try another class, I recommend cleric if he still wants to play a full caster.
    I first played Tiefling Wizard, but that was back in beta.

for the live game I made a Warlock Sun Elf and kept that one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    I agree that the current system isn't welcoming. New players can't talk in the chat, despite the fact that it's the newbies that most need help with the game. Think of when you were still starting out; did you have any idea how to get all the items you needed or even what items or skills to use? What if you need help with a quest? I think another way should be found to combat spammers, so that new players wouldn't feel like they're just bringing dirt to Neverember's carpets.
  • idmooseman#5339 idmooseman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Wanted to uninstall the game from my Arc Games library, but couldn't find an "Uninstall" option. I didn't see it in any drop-down menu. Where should I look?

Edit:
    I found a post from 2017 that answers my question. The Windows "Add or Remove Program" feature sees Arc itself, but not the individual games. I only want to uninstall the game at this time, not the Arc Games launcher. I don't see an "uninstall" executable file in any of the game folders/locations. Was hoping to make some space on the drive, but also want to keep the launcher installed.
    Post edited by idmooseman#5339 on
    you could just delete the program data folder...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User

Wanted to uninstall the game from my Arc Games library, but couldn't find an "Uninstall" option. I didn't see it in any drop-down menu. Where should I look?

Edit:
    I found a post from 2017 that answers my question. The Windows "Add or Remove Program" feature sees Arc itself, but not the individual games. I only want to uninstall the game at this time, not the Arc Games launcher. I don't see an "uninstall" executable file in any of the game folders/locations. Was hoping to make some space on the drive, but also want to keep the launcher installed.

For me, it is: Open ARC Launcher, click Library, right-click on the box for the game, pop-up box says "Uninstall" and "Create Desktop Shortcut".
  • hughpuppies#4539 hughpuppies Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    When I first starting playing I did not know what I was doing, had no guide to follow. I made a Teifling Arcane Wizard, I think I spelled them 2 words right. With a master of flames. I did not know which powers to get up and which skill to get up like concentration, wisdom, strength, etc. I made the world's worst character, I see people running around killing 10-15 or more monster with no problem, I am level 80 and die ever 10 seconds. I wished someone would have made a site where they would have told you if your this type of character like Teifling Arcane Wizard with a amster of flames, you get this powers up, these booms up and put points to strength, concentration, wisdom, etc. This way people like me wouldn't be running around with the worst character getting killed every 5 seconds. They need a new player guide, on how to make a good character, I know for a fact when I first started I made a first character it stunk so I quit for 2 months, came back made a new character, but never found a guide on how to make a good character. I think a lot of people quit because they are not taught how to make a good character and they are tired of dying all the time and not getting anywhere in the game.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    my newly made Rouge, just got gang ganked in Lynching Tree, 20 undeads popped as i was near the chest near by campfire. it is instant death on spot. as part of neverdeath questline.
    i never seen that many at once, usaully come in waves of 3's-4's until "ring leader orge"popped. but all at once??? no chance to run and potions i have are too weak and they hit hard, surrounded, not able to jump or dodge to get out.

mass swarming isnt nice. devs' fault with scaling, i was 35 level, and mobs are 26 levels, seem they are hitting me hard like if they are level 40's.
  • ogeafaogeafa Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Neverwinter's begining really lacks the guided tour that a lot of games offer. The simple how to quest lines that get a new player through the basics. Of course, these can be annoying too especialy for experienced players that just want to skip that part. But for new players, it can be extremely important. Far more important than having to kill your way through some half-thought out entro quest just to be dumped into the game still rather clueless about functions and or features.

The very first time I played I had no instructions at all. Without knowledge, some of the game play was difficult to follow or understand. I managed to get to lvl 60+ before I met a person that invited me into a guild. Yeah, I am stuborn that way. That's is where I learned the majority of the games functions and features. This is simply wrong.

Waiting for someone to point out that there are guides online. Great. How does that help new players that don't know where to look or exactly what to look up? Ya know, those new players that can't even ask questions, yet...