test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to start game client: Access is denied

locrianollocrianol Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited August 2019 in Bug Reports (PC)
Very odd. I get the above message. Updated client today and all I can get is "Unable to start game client: Access is denied". Updated preview, and same thing. I've restarted completely after "CleanUp!". I looked up the error here in the search, and it seems I'm the only one >.<

Comments

• elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    I have same problem. After the patch I was unable to start client, so I uninstalled the game and Arc, made new clean nstall, this time I got into game, but when I logout and later tried to play the game again, the problem has been back and I am unable to start the client.

Unable to start game client: Windows error code 2 (While attempting to format, received error code 1813.)
  • locrianollocrianol Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Seems at least you're getting an error code. I'm just denied. Not sure if it's the same problem. But hope we get an answer. Good luck.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Hey folks! Is this still happening?
  • dontez1dontez1 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Unsure about others.. But I was able to update and log in fine.
    edited August 2019
    Hey Dontez.. Nice to see the alliance sees why I'm gone.
    Still having this problem. Sto fires up and plays fine, but NW stalls at the launcher, even after this small server downtime. Nothings changed for me.
    Also might add, that if I do not shut down my computer, when the NW client launches, it doesn't need a pass word. It skips right to the "play" button. Which then if I push it, it gives me the same error as above.

So I don't keep bumping my thread I'll just add here.
    Searching the web, I see folks using steam having a similar problem after updating. In their case it seems to be a UAC problem with permissions being changed. But I have no idea where to start looking.
    Something that's very odd, is that I have no way to "uninstall" NW. There's a STO uninstall, one for Arc. But nothing for NW.
    Post edited by locrianol on
  • dontez1dontez1 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Sorry
    locrianol said:

Hey Dontez.. Nice to see the alliance sees why I'm gone.
    Still having this problem. Sto fires up and plays fine, but NW stalls at the launcher, even after this small server downtime. Nothings changed for me.
    Also might add, that if I do not shut down my computer, when the NW client launches, it doesn't need a pass word. It skips right to the "play" button. Which then if I push it, it gives me the same error as above.

So I don't keep bumping my thread I'll just add here.
    Searching the web, I see folks using steam having a similar problem after updating. In their case it seems to be a UAC problem with permissions being changed. But I have no idea where to start looking.
    Something that's very odd, is that I have no way to "uninstall" NW. There's a STO uninstall, one for Arc. But nothing for NW.

I asked in alliance also bro.. No one else seemed to be having issues after the update...
  • nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The Neverwinter launcher won't open for me.

*edit: It's working now.
    Post edited by nl54#3191 on
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    locrianol said:

Very odd. I get the above message. Updated client today and all I can get is "Unable to start game client: Access is denied". Updated preview, and same thing. I've restarted completely after "CleanUp!". I looked up the error here in the search, and it seems I'm the only one >.<</p>

Happened the same to me a couple of days before mod 17 but i just kept trying to log in and eventually it worked and never got the issue again...

• elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 51 Arc User

Hey folks! Is this still happening?

One more reinstall - this time I picked up Steam option and not Arc one - and it solved problem (even before the last patch.
    Ill have to try steam. At this point I'll try anything.
    OK installed stream and let it install NW, and same thing. Bahh...aggravating. But thx for the ideas. Keep um coming.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    locrianol said:

OK installed stream and let it install NW, and same thing. Bahh...aggravating. But thx for the ideas. Keep um coming.

What version of Windows are you running? What are your computer specs?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    edited August 2019
    Hello kreatyve,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Is that enough info? Do you need anything else?

Later Edit: Might also add that Champions Online as well as Star trek Online load and play. Hadn't been on CO for 893 days apparently, and forgot I had an account.
    Post edited by locrianol on
  • blankminded6blankminded6 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    locrianol said:

Hello kreatyve,

Is that enough info? Do you need anything else?

Later Edit: Might also add that Champions Online as well as Star trek Online load and play. Hadn't been on CO for 893 days apparently, and forgot I had an account.

is that windows 7 i see!? It seems like i haven't seen that in decades! Anyways have you tried doing a force verify? And have you tried making another account and see if you can log on with that? I have had these kinda issues happen to me on both NW AND STO before too and sadly sometimes the only thing to do is wait

*EDIT*
    It MIGHT Also be that windows 7 isn't supported anymore? If not eventually it won't be supported anymore sadly, i wish i could help cause i know how frustrating this can be :( But i'll pray for ya! (You have same STO username as me lmfao)
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    @locrianol What version of DirectX do you use? I'm thinking that maybe your computer can no longer handle the game. I could be mistaken in that, but all those specs are pretty old. You can try updating your drivers (your video card driver hasn't been updated in over a year!), but that may or may not fix the issue.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    edited August 2019
    DX11

And as up to date as it can be
    Well I'm back on. It was most likely the windows7 to 10, but it could of been the the higher upgrade available on the driver for the vid card. Whatever, I'm getting my keys again. May want to make note of that somewhere when you guys have updates that cancel out operating systems. I'd done 10 when it came out for that free switch (though this was free too having a registered copy) and I'd switched back cause I wasn't fond of it. Considering 7 phases out completely in Jan 2020, I kinda had to anyways.
    Thanks for the help though folks.

Have a nice day!