test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcanist path

robert#9169 robert Member Posts: 9 Arc User
This path just seems awfully. Maybe I missing something. It would be nice if we could get stacks more quickly to Make it an option.

Comments

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

This path just seems awfully. Maybe I missing something. It would be nice if we could get stacks more quickly to Make it an option.

This path is good only on bosses when you have full action points. Otherwise go Thaum.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Arcanist is my survival loadout. Everything's either frozen or dazed. I usually only use it if I notice a lot of low levels in the queue. Though the buggy spell misfires are annoying. Haven't seen that with the Thaumaturge yet, but it happens all the time with the Arcanist.

Arcanist is my survival loadout. Everything's either frozen or dazed. I usually only use it if I notice a lot of low levels in the queue. Though the buggy spell misfires are annoying. Haven't seen that with the Thaumaturge yet, but it happens all the time with the Arcanist.

I have four loadouts and I don't use my AoE Arcanist build; however, my single target build I use when running with two other wizards; it buffs their damage up and makes content easier. :)
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    I can't help but notice how terrible my damage is when I use the arcanist.

So you have an aoe build, a single target/buffing build - I'm curious about the other two.
    Also I've noticed a number of builds recommending Repel. I realize it has good damage, but it has to be annoying for everybody else. A couple times now I've been in a demonic heroic where we spent most of the time chasing the Glabrezu across the map because someone kept smacking it with repel. Do people actually get away with using that in harder content?
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User

Arcanist is kinda based on ur AP, but there's no current thing as "ur AP" in the game right now, as everything is at the base, your % ap gain does nothing and u only get the base from powers and other external AP source, such as artifacts, feats, and certain gear that give u ap on kill, but thats pretty much it and thats why arcanist is currently limited. As for the aoe, the melee powers are what limits it compared to Thaum that has all ranged aoe powers (except icy terrain), so against melee classes that naturally move faster than u, thaum is more viable in aoe, on bosses, arcanist would be deadly if we had more AP, but thats not the case and it kinda underperforms compared to thaum but not by much. There are also bugged powers in the arcanist paragon, like lightning bolt not hitting anything most of the time, or steal getting cancelled too easily and still going on full cd. Pillar gives nice AP but takes forever to cast.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    lardeson said:

Arcanist is kinda based on ur AP, but there's no current thing as "ur AP" in the game right now, as everything is at the base, your % ap gain does nothing and u only get the base from powers and other external AP source, such as artifacts, feats, and certain gear that give u ap on kill, but thats pretty much it and thats why arcanist is currently limited. As for the aoe, the melee powers are what limits it compared to Thaum that has all ranged aoe powers (except icy terrain), so against melee classes that naturally move faster than u, thaum is more viable in aoe, on bosses, arcanist would be deadly if we had more AP, but thats not the case and it kinda underperforms compared to thaum but not by much. There are also bugged powers in the arcanist paragon, like lightning bolt not hitting anything most of the time, or steal getting cancelled too easily and still going on full cd. Pillar gives nice AP but takes forever to cast.
    AP gain does work, but to be able to see it you need to view the decimal expansions of powers ap because well... a fraction of a fraction doesn't show normally in ACT.
    edited July 2019

lardeson said:

AP gain does work, but to be able to see it you need to view the decimal expansions of powers ap because well... a fraction of a fraction doesn't show normally in ACT.
    I thought wizard AP generation was broken. If it is not broken it is pathetic when compared to my fighter or cleric.

lardeson said:

I thought wizard AP generation was broken. If it is not broken it is pathetic when compared to my fighter or cleric.
    Fighter generates AP passively over time and clerics generate it when they press tab. It isn't broken for wizard, it is just the mechanism for generating it functions differently.

lardeson said:

Fighter generates AP passively over time and clerics generate it when they press tab. It isn't broken for wizard, it is just the mechanism for generating it functions differently.
    Its pathetic that is what it is. I find as an Arcanist I get AP much quicker but as a Thaum it is just slow to regenerate.

I hope the devs fix the wizard bugs and also maybe tweak a bit the AP gain for the class.

lardeson said:

Its pathetic that is what it is. I find as an Arcanist I get AP much quicker but as a Thaum it is just slow to regenerate.

I hope the devs fix the wizard bugs and also maybe tweak a bit the AP gain for the class.
    Arcanist is quicker because it has feats that give AP. It is intended that a DpS gains 1 daily over 1 minute of combat time (before AP Gain) and that is exactly what happens, for all the DpS classes. If you want to raise a complaint about it, you complaining about all AP types.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Fighter generates AP passively over time and clerics generate it when they press tab.

Uhm... the Cleric's Tab mechanism is for restoring divinity, not AP.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited July 2019
    adinosii said:

Fighter generates AP passively over time and clerics generate it when they press tab.

@adinosii just because its tooltip states it does 1 thing, doesn't mean it doesn't do other things as well.

I recommend testing what your class mechanics do, as its important for making informed decisions when building your character. The tab mechanism for cleric restores 1.67% AP per second channeled while in combat and scales with AP gain, in addition to restoring your divinity.
    edited July 2019

adinosii said:

@adinosii just because its tooltip states it does 1 thing, doesn't mean it doesn't do other things as well.

I recommend testing what your class mechanics do, as its important for making informed decisions. The tab mechanism for cleric restores 1.67% AP per second channeled and scales with AP gain while in combat.
    Do you have ACT test illustrating time to gain AP for a wizard and cleric. What is written or expect in this game is often wrong do to how things actually work.

IMO 1 minute should be without any feats, boons, gear, etc... than simply doing a rotation with At-Wills and Encounters should generate enough AP. If AP is not being generated at an equal rate say between a Cleric and a Wizard than the devs need to fix which ever class is off from that one minute expected value prior to anything that increases AP gains.

With enough items one should expect to use their daily more than once a minute. Such as when running a Snail, Sigil, and primal boots vs. a player that doesn't use those.

adinosii said:

I recommend testing what your class mechanics do, as its important for making informed decisions. The tab mechanism for cleric restores 1.67% AP per second channeled and scales with AP gain while in combat.
    Do you have ACT test illustrating time to gain AP for a wizard and cleric. What is written or expect in this game is often wrong do to how things actually work.

IMO 1 minute should be without any feats, boons, gear, etc... than simply doing a rotation with At-Wills and Encounters should generate enough AP. If AP is not being generated at an equal rate say between a Cleric and a Wizard than the devs need to fix which ever class is off from that one minute expected value prior to anything that increases AP gains.

With enough items one should expect to use their daily more than once a minute. Such as when running a Snail, Sigil, and primal boots vs. a player that doesn't use those.
    The AP Gain for classes isn't written anywhere in game, the base AP gain of a power is simply equal to its cast time*1.67. It really doesn't matter what powers you use, so long as you are attacking an enemy for 1 minute without any interruptions (very important to note, it is 1 minute of attacking, not 1 minute of being in combat) you will always get your daily back. If you use AP gain boosts, it will take less than that.

I recommend testing what your class mechanics do, as its important for making informed decisions when building your character. The tab mechanism for cleric restores 1.67% AP per second channeled while in combat and scales with AP gain, in addition to restoring your divinity.

I misunderstood you. You said "...when they press Tab", so I just thought of the Arbiter mechanism where you just press tab briefly to convert any extra pips to divinity, and that does not create any AP - not the "Channel Divinity" mechanism.
    edited July 2019

I recommend testing what your class mechanics do

I just did.... and you know what. Channel Divinity does not affect Clerics' AP at all. You can hold Tab down as much as you want, and you get your divinity back, but your AP meter does not change.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    adinosii said:

I recommend testing what your class mechanics do

I just did.... and you know what. Channel Divinity does not affect Clerics' AP at all. You can hold Tab down as much as you want, and you get your divinity back, but your AP meter does not change.
    Just checked on live, you do gain AP just from pressing tab. Make sure you are in combat like Sharp said.
    arazith07 said:

Just checked on live, you do gain AP just from pressing tab. Make sure you are in combat like Sharp said.

Right, sorry. My mistake - I just checked it with the dummies. This does, however, make the process pretty much useless, as channeling during combat is...best avoided., but well...Sharp was right.

OK, let this issue just die..it has nothing to do with with Wizards anyhow.

adinosii said:

arazith07 said:

Right, sorry. My mistake - I just checked it with the dummies. This does, however, make the process pretty much useless, as channeling during combat is...best avoided., but well...Sharp was right.

OK, let this issue just die..it has nothing to do with with Wizards anyhow.

You are going to have to channel a lot of divinity in combat in the new trial.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    *Misread the conversation, nvm*
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• texerrettexerret Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Arcanist is good vs bosses imo .. but the real problem of arcanist is that he only has 3 good/decent encounters being: " desintegrate - repel - steal time" entanglin and RoE do dot damage and i guess it overwrittes itself when casted on rapid fire (for daily arcane empowered) the other spells either do so little damage or the animation/cast time takes ages so it's not really that helpfull for the short 10 second window you have for rapid fire.
    storm spell is a whopping 15% of the times which is absolute garbage.
    too much RNG in that path to be consistent everytime so it sometimes excells and some other times it sucks.
    also falls off in damage agains thrash really fast.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User

lardeson said:

Yh, i figured that was the issue and decided to manually test it, but what i definitely dint count on, is them calculated it off the base, cos then its not worth investing into ap. For example Coi gives 13.5ap points, if you add 10% thats almost 15 points (14,86), which means that with 10% ap gain going into Coi, in 10 hits, you only gain 1.5% ap, which is completely useless.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • bifflincultebifflinculte Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Arcanist 's major asset is to trigger combat advantage. When CA is difficult to get, in codg for example, it will beat thaumaturge.

Snap freeze is an underrated feat, adding chill grants extra 40 magnitude damage. That makes Icy Terrain very powerful against mob packs, and Ray of frost against single targets. Arcane Presence becomes an obvious choice for trash, since it buffs both Snap Freeze and Storm Spell.
    But Snap Freeze has a major restriction, it only works when target isn't frozen. So, running with another wizard makes the feat useless.