test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sexually suggestive item name in game

bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
Dear Devs,

Regarding the "Fured" Kuono of the Bear.

You probably are aware that kuono is the Swahili word for the groin area.

You are probably not aware that the verb fure means "to lead."

I'm pretty sure you mean for this item to be the "Furred Kuono of the Bear," meaning that it's something derived from the groin on a huge bear and has fur on it.

Taken literaly, "Fured Kuono of the Bear" means that the bear's groin was being led, and that has connotations that I'd rather not spell out.

If you actually mean to call it "Fured," please just say so, so I know to delete my account and let people know what you're up to.
=====
Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    What does "Kiuno" mean?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited July 2019

What does "Kiuno" mean?

https://en.bab.la/dictionary/swahili-english/kiuno

KIUNO" ENGLISH TRANSLATION SW "kiuno" in English
    kiuno EN
    loin waist
    More information
    Translations & Examples
    edited July 2019
    loin is not groin, right?

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Technically, it would be a furred loincloth instead of armor.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 43 Arc User
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kiuno

There it is translated as 'waist'.

But anyways.. there are a fairly large number of languages in the world. I am sure you could take a lot of the words used in NW texts, apply them to some obscure language and get some juicy semantics.

Since the word kiuno has no semantics in english, I would assume this is something they just invented to have a name for this gear piece.

Nothing to see here, move on.
  • huijianhuijian Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    everything is exactly as intended, the developers are not stupid and know exactly what these words mean. Only the fiercest of warriors would wear the groin of a bear.
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    This post feels like a troll to me.
  • bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    hrakh said:

-blah removed-

If you actually mean to call it "Fured," please just say so, so I know to delete my account and let people know what you're up to.

May I suggest you just assume they mean to call it "Fured" and make good on your promise? I say this out of honest concern for your moral health. Considering this game also uses weapons with decidedly phallic connotations, not to mention the intense amounts of thrusting and stabbing going on. Additionally the sound certain toons make when jumping brings back memories of monika seles tennis matches. Overall this game seems to be a severe threat to all that you seem to view as right and proper.

Remember, he who lays down with dogs, gets up with fleas. You may not want to risk it. Keep yourself pure!
    Hey, I've already tried pointing this out based on just the spelling problem -- which is the real issue I have with it -- and so have at least two other people. I'm starting to think that the Devs just don't care about that, given how I've had to deal with the jarring use of "One-Year Anniversary" through "Six-Year Anniversary" since the first anniversary of Champions Online. This is just using a different tactic that they might just care about... possibly... maybe. I don't even know any more.

And yes, I know that people can figure out that they mean "Furred," not "Fured." After all, I figured it out, right? But why should I have to figure it out, when they could just say "Furred" in the first place? What's the problem with just putting the second "r" into the word so it just says what's meant to begin with?
    =====
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    Is there a special reason that this is posted here (instead of Feedback tab, where it should be)... I smell a Drama queen
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • gonzakotwigonzakotwi Member Posts: 267 Arc User

Dear Devs,

I'm pretty sure you mean for this item to be the "Furred Kuono of the Bear," meaning that it's something derived from the groin on a huge bear and has fur on it.

Taken literaly, "Fured Kuono of the Bear" means that the bear's groin was being led, and that has connotations that I'd rather not spell out.

Oh boy you must be bored (and i must be more bored to answer this)
    Its kiuno, not kuono. And google translates it as waist. Then fured (english word) gets translated to a kind of combed refering to hair (translated to my language).

If I were you I would be more worried about lakkar's itches
    edited July 2019

hrakh said:

-blah removed-

May I suggest you just assume they mean to call it "Fured" and make good on your promise? I say this out of honest concern for your moral health. Considering this game also uses weapons with decidedly phallic connotations, not to mention the intense amounts of thrusting and stabbing going on. Additionally the sound certain toons make when jumping brings back memories of monika seles tennis matches. Overall this game seems to be a severe threat to all that you seem to view as right and proper.

Remember, he who lays down with dogs, gets up with fleas. You may not want to risk it. Keep yourself pure!
    Hey, I've already tried pointing this out based on just the spelling problem -- which is the real issue I have with it -- and so have at least two other people. I'm starting to think that the Devs just don't care about that, given how I've had to deal with the jarring use of "One-Year Anniversary" through "Six-Year Anniversary" since the first anniversary of Champions Online. This is just using a different tactic that they might just care about... possibly... maybe. I don't even know any more.

And yes, I know that people can figure out that they mean "Furred," not "Fured." After all, I figured it out, right? But why should I have to figure it out, when they could just say "Furred" in the first place? What's the problem with just putting the second "r" into the word so it just says what's meant to begin with?
    I thought my first reply right after your OP made that obvious. I guess not.
    The name of the gear is "Fured KIUNO of the Bear" and not "Fured KUONO of the Bear" as you stated in your OP. I could not find what Kuono means but I take your words for it. But, that is NOT the name of the gear.

What does "the bear's waist/loin was being led" mean to you?

So, it does not matter what "Fured" means. What is matters is what Kiuno means.
    Because a "Furred groin of the bear" is not any better.
  • talon1970talon1970 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 152 Arc User
    well i couldn't understand that the devs not named it:

The Furry Kiuno Bear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    go to moonstone mask and ask for a lap dance and tell me about the sexual connotations that arise from that lol

Any ways, even if the name of that piece of gear is sexually suggestive, it would still fit into the esrb rating for Neverwinter.

Neverwinter has an esrb rating of T for "Teen"

"""
    TEEN
    Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.

snip

Suggestive Themes - Mild provocative references or materials
    """

[1] https://esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx#rating_categories

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    No one in their right mind goes into the Mask to talk.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    talon1970 said:

well i couldn't understand that the devs not named it:

The Furry Kiuno Bear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

Does someone want scritchies?
  • utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2019

Hey, I've already tried pointing this out based on just the spelling problem -- which is the real issue I have with it -- and so have at least two other people. I'm starting to think that the Devs just don't care about that

I think they haven't done anything because this is probably the most inane thing to be outraged about. The reasonable thing to do, if you MUST do something, would be just to point it out in a polite email (or whatever) and just move on and forget about it.

• kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    greywynd said:

No one in their right mind goes into the Mask to talk.

"No one in their right mind" --- Yup, my self loathing mantra every time I look at my credit card statement and realize I spent money on NW AGAIN...
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Top signs this must be a troll:

Much too polite a start for a conversation with a dev. Anyone serious would have began with a few expletives and ALL CAPS.

Dear Devs,

The item is not Kuono.

He implies the devs are "aware" of anything. Anyone who's serious would know there's not a thing they're aware of.

Now we get to the "meat of the issue". OP just wanted to talk about groins. Clearly, troll.

meaning that it's something derived from the groin on a huge bear and has fur on it

Couldn't help but dig deep into the same well again.

the bear's groin was being led, and that has connotations that I'd rather not spell out.

And the final nail. Anyone that's seriously going to delete their account just does it. Don't tease us bob. That is just some mean trolling there.

so I know to delete my account and let people know what you're up to.

• bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User

Hey, I've already tried pointing this out based on just the spelling problem -- which is the real issue I have with it -- and so have at least two other people. I'm starting to think that the Devs just don't care about that

I think they haven't done anything because this is probably the most inane thing to be outraged about. The reasonable thing to do, if you MUST do something, would be just to point it out in a polite email (or whatever) and just move on and forget about it.

Thanks for a reply that's actually intelligent.* There have been updates with corrections to spelling, punctuation, and grammar, but despite multiple requests this has been ignored (as, of course, have "six-year anniversary" and its category).

*Not the only one here; just the only one that warranted a reply with a quote. To those who offered level-headed corrections to my spelling and definition lookup, thank you, seriously. And of course hrakh (quoted previously) got a reply because was no less rude than I was (for which I apologize, for my part -- difficulty containing frustration is, unfortunately, as much a part of my ASD as a need for properly-ordered language).
    =====
  • casewoodshadowcasewoodshadow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    Don't forget the 1K IL gear named:

Sood's Good Wood Hood

=)

https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Sood's_Good_Wood_Hood

• obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    Don't they have metal "ignots" in Chult? I remember mentioning that long ago.
    If they're going with ignots they're going with fured.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User

Dear Devs,

Still better then the cancelled artifacts "Shaggy HAMSTER of Valindra" and "Tiamat's Smoldering Chi-Chi".
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.