test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Problem with Paladins

tommynocker001tommynocker001 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
My problem is the two bars on either side of the character model.
One is how much stamina you have to hold up your shield, the other is how much power you have to use encounter powers. There is nothing quite like realising that you are toothless on the battlefield! Some monsters can drain the stamina bar in two hits leaving you with no power to parry and your massively limited power pool (four hits) with no power to hit. Both seem to take an age to recharge.

What you going to do? Dodge??? Run? ;)
I'm standing not four feet from a dragon with no actual ability to fight... apart from 'gnat bites' with maces. This needs a rethink.
... and while I'm on the subject... where are all the maces? You... forget to put them in the game? At level 80 I can either have a generic mace, the wooden mace in the PVP building (a wooden mace!!! :) buy for astral diamonds, pick a lower level and buy (beat up weak bad guys) or hope that something drops, or get a sword! Come on, find a space for some cool looking maces in professions, please? ;)

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I did not check but does the vendor in Underdark have a lot of old gear to sell for transmute purpose?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    gonzakotwigonzakotwi Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    You might have to consider moving to another class. If the job of the pally would be to stand still and press shift only that would be kind of boring right?. Of course when you can you have to try to avoid the mobs hits by simply moving a bit. You have the encounter that recharges your guard very quickly, you have vow that doesn't consume divinity and keeps your aggro.
  • Options
    I did not check but does the vendor in Underdark have a lot of old gear to sell for transmute purpose?

Lots of armour and cloaks but no weapons, if you're thinking of the one I'm thinking of. There are no weapons in the weapon vendor in Neverwinter... very few anywhere else.

You can almost see that discussion;
    Paladin; "I'm looking for a short pole with a hammer head on it."
    Blacksmith; "Pffft! What are you, a dwarf? Buy a sword!"
  • Options
    Yep, granted. But when you're standing right next to a boss with nothing... it does not make me feel like a hero. It makes me feel outclassed. This is something that does not change throughout the game. Buffs help me not die so fast but there is nothing... nothing to make everything charge faster.

The game is built on choice; I get to choose something different for every build... there goes that then! X)
  • Options
    Boons are everything in this game at the moment. They really govern how a character will approach combat of any sort. I've been using the shield to block incoming damage while trying to close the distance with an enemy. Imagine my surprise when the damage blast sent me back further than I'd run to close the distance? Then realizing that my 'block' did not stop the damage?

So I'm looking at the slightly generic boons. They all look the same for each character, no matter what.
    I'm thinking that I'd like to increase my health bar, that's a must...
    I'm looking at that run speed, ooh! Want that...
    Extra damage! Who doesn't plug in extra damage? ;)
    Critical hits! Useful... out of boons! Out of boons? Really?

Now I'll admit; I've still got a lot of... bits to complete. There are plenty of boons out there still to collect, and I've got a long way to go. But I'm following in the footsteps of my warlock; and many of the harder dungeons are already unlocked... did i mention how 'out of my depth' I feel? ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Boons are everything in this game at the moment. They really govern how a character will approach combat of any sort. I've been using the shield to block incoming damage while trying to close the distance with an enemy. Imagine my surprise when the damage blast sent me back further than I'd run to close the distance? Then realizing that my 'block' did not stop the damage?

So I'm looking at the slightly generic boons. They all look the same for each character, no matter what.
    I'm thinking that I'd like to increase my health bar, that's a must...
    I'm looking at that run speed, ooh! Want that...
    Extra damage! Who doesn't plug in extra damage? ;)
    Critical hits! Useful... out of boons! Out of boons? Really?

Now I'll admit; I've still got a lot of... bits to complete. There are plenty of boons out there still to collect, and I've got a long way to go. But I'm following in the footsteps of my warlock; and many of the harder dungeons are already unlocked... did i mention how 'out of my depth' I feel? ;)

Hmm! People has been saying boon is not as useful as before mod 16. All the crit, power, .. stat is tiny comparing with (say) one piece of armour or an enhancement. The only meaningful boon is that one master boon (max with 3 boon points). If the boon you are talking about is SH boon, that is a different story.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    Yep, for sure. Boons are nowhere near what they were... but you can stack them.
    A careful choice of health bonus armour and take a health boon or two and you can stack them together.
    Try taking a critical hit and see how quickly you can flatten a mob. It can be a fun class to play! ;)

My problem comes with the charge of my abilities. I cannot increase the charge of encounter powers. What I chose a decade ago is where I have to work from and the charge speed for encounter powers is locked to a stat. There is no way to change it without restarting from scratch. A boon is needed to make sure I'm not standing on the battlefield with no real weapons and a big monster to defeat. Encounter powers already have a charge speed. Why put another clock on top of the clock that charges really... slowly?
  • Options
    frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    I finally gave up on queuing with my paladin. I figure I'll just keep working through campaigns with it and have my other characters contribute stuff like AD and whatnot.

I imagine you've got to have one that's really well-equipped and pretty far along already to be of any use to anyone. The only ones I've seen that were at all effective were obviously already all caught up - bis gear and high level enchants.

A paladin still in development just doesn't contribute in any meaningful way - maybe the oathkeeper if you queue with a party that needs shields and healing.

But it's a drag to play not to mention a controller wrecker because of all that left stick pressing. The tab/R1 mechanic just doesn't make any sense to me, and I never use it. I'd rather have it recharge my divinity like the cleric.
  • Options

Yep, for sure. Boons are nowhere near what they were... but you can stack them.
    A careful choice of health bonus armour and take a health boon or two and you can stack them together.
    Try taking a critical hit and see how quickly you can flatten a mob. It can be a fun class to play! ;)

My problem comes with the charge of my abilities. I cannot increase the charge of encounter powers. What I chose a decade ago is where I have to work from and the charge speed for encounter powers is locked to a stat. There is no way to change it without restarting from scratch. A boon is needed to make sure I'm not standing on the battlefield with no real weapons and a big monster to defeat. Encounter powers already have a charge speed. Why put another clock on top of the clock that charges really... slowly?

I have not played my Paladin in mod 16 yet. However, my other 4 characters who are in mod 16 did not take any crit from boon. I have another 2 not in mod 16 yet and Paladin is one of them. My first 4 needed to reduce their crit (when I spec them to go to mod 16) because they were well over the cap. The boon they took for stat are only power, HP. I suspect my Paladin will also only take power, HP and find other junk place to part the rest of the boon points.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Full disclosure: I miss my preM16 pally.

With that out of the way, I don't understand why anyone would have such an issue with maintaining divinity on either pally path.

On Justicar, you have feats and powers that restore divinity. You're a tank so you're not meant to run into battle and smite left and right. You grab aggro. You hunker down. You keep aggro. You dodge most hits by....wait for it....repositioning out of the red so you don't waste too much shield. Shield restores pretty quickly. I'm not BiS. I don't have fully ranked out enchants. I only have 400k hp so far. I've tanked everything through to LoMM.

On Oathkeeper, shield doesn't matter since you're not there to tank. Divinity management is even easier on Oath than Justicar. By miles. I can smite multiple times in a row and not even check my divinity because I know it' still good.

You're only toothless on the battlefield if you allow yourself to become toothless. I've run out of divinity on occasion but that was my fault for not paying attention and going smite crazy.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Boons; Better defence/offence against any mobs is useful. Undead, demons and dinosaurs... forget cultists; so weak they go down easy. I put one point in each.
    Run speed; I can't get enough of this one. I only get five. ;)
    Buffs from your companion; very useful. Give me more power!
    Power, critical hit, deflection, defence... I find them all useful. The trouble is you want five in each and at least two taken.
  • Options
    > @frogwalloper#6494 said:
    >
    > A paladin still in development just doesn't contribute in any meaningful way - maybe the oathkeeper if you queue with a party that needs shields and healing.
    >
    Not true at all. My Alt pally runs with whatever dropped from me (even bad weapons) has 30 or so boons and i can tank up to raq with no issues. Of course this Is not M15 where you smashed your keyboard and tanked everything. You need to use your Powers wisely
  • Options
    > @tommynocker001 said:
    > Boons; Better defence/offence against any mobs is useful. Undead, demons and dinosaurs... forget cultists; so weak they go down easy. I put one point in each.
    > Run speed; I can't get enough of this one. I only get five. ;)
    > Buffs from your companion; very useful. Give me more power!
    > Power, critical hit, deflection, defence... I find them all useful. The trouble is you want five in each and at least two taken.

Unless you go healer you dont need power. Neither arpen crit and ca. Op is not the damage dealer
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I've tanked everything through to LoMM.

If your paladin can contribute in LoMM, I'm guessing it was already across the threshold of usefulness before this mod dropped. What's its item level?

I think it's a different experience for young paladins. The ones below 11K or so (mine included) have been useless everywhere - even in low-level skirmishes like Dread Legion where they're simply unnecessary/uneffective or Master of the Hunt where they can effectively maintain aggro with the boss but can't inflict meaningful damage, can't keep their stamina up, and can't keep their hp up. Actually there's a good example of a boss who inflicts a lot of damage on <10K characters with basic attacks that don't come with a red zone. A paladin can block what, four or five of those spear thrusts before losing all its stamina? Then it's either run for dear life and hope someone else grabs aggro, or chug healing potions to stay alive and hope everyone can kill the boss before it kills the "tank".

I could take my paladin into Throne or Prophecy, but unless it's a group that needs healing - which most of the time, they don't - it's not fair to everyone else. I know every class has an awkward phase, but the paladin's just seems incredibly long. My youngest character is a wizard who only just started in on Elemental Evil, and is far and above more effective in content that I don't dare queue into with my paladin.

And as for "hunkering" down. That's fine if you're in queued content that benefits from someone hiding behind a shield, but it's a grueling way to solo your way through SKT, CA, Chult, Barovia, etc... I know how slow it is 'cause I've got a cleric and rogue running the same stuff every day as my paladin. I routinely finish up with both of them in less time than it takes the paladin.

I'm glad some people like the new paladin. And I even like the concept, but at the moment, I - that's me personally expressing my personal opinion - I don't enjoy playing it.
  • Options
    But why cap? Is this part of making sure you can't get overpowered? Isn't being a HAMSTER, feeling overpowered against a truely awesome enemy?
  • Options

Not true at all. My Alt pally runs with whatever dropped from me (even bad weapons) has 30 or so boons and i can tank up to raq with no issues. Of course this Is not M15 where you smashed your keyboard and tanked everything. You need to use your Powers wisely

I wasn't referring to 16k+ paladins.
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I started mod 16 with Barovian hunt gear, rank 11 and 12 enchants, rank 13 bonding stones, and a good assortment of companions and gear. My experiences will be different from a person with less than 16k, I feel for you but it does get a lot better.

You are going to want to get enough boons to at least get the top tier boon focused retaliation for the passive boost to your damage.

Companions are the single most important investment in performance. Bondings, gear and runes.

Build to cap must have defenses, and then must have offensives. 500-600 hp is a good goal, then go for power.

Shielding strike will restore your stamina much quicker than it regenerates naturally.

Divinity regenerates slower with slower/less mobs so use with caution.

The Tab mechanic, used for the auto shielding as well as Divine Palisade used to lessen in coming hits is a powerful defense.

Things do get better, it takes time.
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    edited July 2019

This needs a rethink.

... and while I'm on the subject... where are all the maces? You... forget to put them in the game? At level 80 I can either have a generic mace, the wooden mace in the PVP building (a wooden mace!!! :) buy for astral diamonds, pick a lower level and buy (beat up weak bad guys) or hope that something drops, or get a sword! Come on, find a space for some cool looking maces in professions, please? ;)

Go on the AH - there are over a hundred maces currently for sale - some not too bad in appearance, and all are super cheap. It will cost you the transmute tax to convert your sword, but if you really want the mace look it's worth it.
  • Options
    dukeguard#8158 dukeguard Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    My only gripe with the justicar is the low riposte damage, 10 magnitude for vengeance aura (20 when using divine champion) and binding oath (50 magnitude).

Sometimes the dps steals the aggro because they rush ahead or get the first hit via range and it takes a while for the tank to generate threat and even when we do it's hard to retake the threat back while we are holding up our shields trying to regain our divinity because our riposte damage is lacklustre.

I'm also curious about whether the vengeance aura when applied to allies, the damage dealt back to the attackers does it generate threat to the paladin or no? Can a dev response to this query? @terramak

It's funny how my cleric guild mate was adamant I should be using tactical enchantments instead of darks because according to him we tanks are not dps when aggro is generated via dealing damage. He was pretty insistent since by us tanks using tacticals we can place less stress on his divinity pool when healing.

• Options
    dukeguard#8158 dukeguard Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2019

I feel like the TAB mechanic for Justicar (tank mode) is a joke.
    It costs divinity to use and at the same time serves no useful purpose, It needs to go back to being an AOE aggro taunt.

The tab mechanic is actually what tanks should be using going in battle, it increases your riposte damage from the vengeance aura and it should be used in tandem with binding oath at the same time.

That's where most of our damage comes from not to mention it frees us up to use at wills and encounters while mitigating damage so long as divinity is available. Not having to worry about holding up our shields and backing down too.

There is a feat that reduces the cost of maintaining the mechanic also.

• Options
    I've quite literally *just* finished Undermountain and met the Neverwinter... crew. They gave me a "misplaced Mace"... it's a sword! X)
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Tanks for all the comments so far. ;)
    It's an interesting, broad spectrum of opinions and experiences.

More interesting dialogue;
    Courier; (panting) "My master, he made this mace for you! Had me deliver it forthwith."
    Paladin; "... that's a sword."
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

If your paladin can contribute in LoMM, I'm guessing it was already across the threshold of usefulness before this mod dropped. What's its item level?

As of yesterday, my pally is close to 23k. When the mod dropped I was just under 20k and we hit LoMM as soon as it dropped when I was barely scraping what was needed to get in there.

It was not a walk in the park but was totally doable.

I can't speak for lower pallys. I can say if you're experiencing problems at early levels it gets better later. I also don't run much outside of MEs and LoMM most days. Maybe once a week I'll run queues for variety.

Regarding the comments in the thread about not needing offensive stats, that's untrue. You should be able to chip in some damage and will need to in LoMM if you want to kill mimics.

Tacticals are also most certainly useful on a tank. I only use 1.
  • Options
    eugeecoeugeeco Member Posts: 27 Arc User
  • Options
    So is it possible that the paladin's become more of an advanced class - not just because of power/stamina/aggro management, but also because there's an actual need for a tank with decent stats in some of the more difficult content?
    - a need that just isn't there in lower level content?