test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Item Level Doesn't make Sense

It's a known fact that +%dmg gear is better for dealing damage then any of the other gimmick effects available now.

why doesn't the item level on the +%dmg gear reflect this fact, because at this point it is a fact.

for a dps class +%dmg gear is always going to be better for doing their role, which is to dps, and even for tanks it helps them to hold aggro.

It makes no sense that some of the most useless gear in the game has the highest Item Level.

who does that?!

Tagged:

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Item level/Gear score, etc means nothing besides giving you a ticket to enter somewhere.
    It never will reflect effectiveness and it never did. When you treat it that way, you lose.
    e.g. You can overload huge amount of critical strike (say 100K) and have a big number of item level. Is this character good for the current mod?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

Item level/Gear score, etc means nothing besides giving you a ticket to enter somewhere.
    It never will reflect effectiveness and it never did. When you treat it that way, you lose.
    e.g. You can overload huge amount of critical strike (say 100K) and have a big number of item level. Is this character good for the current mod?

when the tooltip says "an approximation of your overall effectiveness" I personally feel it should accurately represent this.....am I wrong for thinking this way?
    You are not wrong. They are.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I remember there was something in one of the m16 blogs stating that higher IL gear would always be better for your character. This was listed as a positive change for the module but it was just wishful thinking on the Devs' part and essentially the same misunderstanding of what makes something better, that led to the awful Successor gear bonuses. Looking at how they changed so many Insignia bonuses, it really feels like they they thought we would be scrambling to reach target numbers in our stats and therefore the gear bonuses wouldn't be a concern.
    Post edited by pitshade on
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I just wonder what people will do when the % damage gear will no longer give them enough of an itemlevel to be able to do end-game content? And the devs do not replace it with something similar. That should be interesting to see what happens.
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    True fact the game really should do away with item level for dungeons anyway. it should open once you reach the min stats required to over come whats inside.
    As many have said if you fixate only on a gear's item level then your lose each time.
    We pick gear for what we need in term of stats and of course its bonus. We do not pick it for its item level and if you do then you really are looking at it the wrong way.
    As for what was asked in the OP the reason its this way is to try and fade out old gear.
    After all they would prefer us to use level 80 gear rather then level 70 gear.
    They most likely wont up its item level or anything but may add new gear with around about same bonus as old gear for higher item level and stats.
    Either way no one should fixate on a gears item level at all.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

when the tooltip says "an approximation of your overall effectiveness" I personally feel it should accurately represent this.....am I wrong for thinking this way?

Put the stress on "approximation" and not on "overall effectiveness".
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    b4t1b4t said:

True fact the game really should do away with item level for dungeons anyway. it should open once you reach the min stats required to over come whats inside.
    As many have said if you fixate only on a gear's item level then your lose each time.
    We pick gear for what we need in term of stats and of course its bonus. We do not pick it for its item level and if you do then you really are looking at it the wrong way.
    As for what was asked in the OP the reason its this way is to try and fade out old gear.
    After all they would prefer us to use level 80 gear rather then level 70 gear.
    They most likely wont up its item level or anything but may add new gear with around about same bonus as old gear for higher item level and stats.
    Either way no one should fixate on a gears item level at all.

Unfortunately some does get the highest Item level stuff, and wonder why they deal no damage LMAO
  • utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2019

As someone else pointed out, it reads "approximation". Maybe they will give these perks an IL value in future, but it will still be approximations and probably same value across the board.

It's a decent indicator of how INeffective you will be though. I think most would agree that there's no point in allowing someone with 17k IL to enter LoMM.
  • bobby4700bobby4700 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 179 Arc User
    I myself have 80 appropriate gear and can get 26 k + Ilvl but to do real damage have to use %damage gear which puts lvl back too 23 k +no big deal for now but next mod it will be . warden HR in which we need all help we can get since devs took away 65 % of our encounters and nerfed the 1s they left.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User

Maybe they will give these perks an IL value in future, but it will still be approximations and probably same value across the board.

Or maybe they will just nerf the +% damage ones to make them more in line with the other perks in terms of usefulness.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Yeah I have dropped my item level by about 2k and get much better DPS.

Its an odd game.
    edited July 2019

i wish they would just strip the %dmg bonuses from the old gear.
    I've farmed and converted all the %dmg stuff to RP almost 3 times now because every mod they imply the gear is going to be an improvement, and it never is. I am so sick of farming the same gear from 3-4 mods ago, every time a new mod comes out.

That was your problem for doing that. Converted them to rAD (when you could), I can understand (but I still would not do that myself). Convert them to RP without keeping a few would be a mistake in my book. RP basically worth nothing. And, you already knew the future stuff may not be better.

I've farmed and converted all the %dmg stuff to RP almost 3 times now because every mod they imply the gear is going to be an improvement, and it never is. I am so sick of farming the same gear from 3-4 mods ago, every time a new mod comes out.

That was your problem for doing that. Converted them to rAD (when you could), I can understand (but I still would not do that myself). Convert them to RP without keeping a few would be a mistake in my book. RP basically worth nothing. And, you already knew the future stuff may not be better.
    I assumed that the new gear would all replace it. yea it is my own fault. but still I think I have a right to be upset as the new gear was so underwhelming with its high for nothing Item Level.
    Yeah I almost did this, but held onto my Orcus set purely by luck. I also have the "New" waist and neck artifacts partly refined, that pisses me off as well.

It feels like getting hoodwinked time and time again with these new items... they just aren't that good but have a magically high item level which doesn't compute or convert into proper DPS.

I assumed that the new gear would all replace it. yea it is my own fault. but still I think I have a right to be upset as the new gear was so underwhelming with its high for nothing Item Level.
    Yeah I almost did this, but held onto my Orcus set purely by luck. I also have the "New" waist and neck artifacts partly refined, that pisses me off as well.

It feels like getting hoodwinked time and time again with these new items... they just aren't that good but have a magically high item level which doesn't compute or convert into proper DPS.
    well considering what i paid for the orcus set in mod 11 its one of the few items i could never trash, i have it on 6 characters. but I did trash a Shadowstalker +5 ring and terrored grips and hags rags and enduring boots, fured kiono and heels of fury......and it seems the drops for the barovia hunts are terrible now, I did 20 hunts and the only one that dropped anything was ras manca.
    Ouch I feel your pain. And similarly I ditched some decent Barovian stuff for the new shiny stuff... but not as bad as you did. Good luck recovering them :)