test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 17 gear still worse than older mod gear

jufesjufes Member Posts: 7 Arc User
From looking at the new gear and the bonuses they provide, there is a vast difference in usefulness. Not only is the new 1k gear only providing 1200 defense instead of 2000 like current 1k gear, but only one of the armor pieces seems worth using and that is the 1k version of Terrored grips.

For chests, there is a slightly upgraded version of Gurdunn's Defense with 50 more IL, Butchers Tenacity bonus that adds 1% armor pen when hitting for more than 15% of your HP. These bonuses will now only proc on daily and encounter use as at wills don't do the necessary damage, so getting to the 5 stacks on any class besides HR is nearly impossible. Lastly Butchers remedy, which heals for 1% when damaged for 15% of your HP or more, to be used in a trail where the new minimum hit will be 300k according to some of the alpha testers. Aside from tanks and the new requirement for hit points Hag Rags and Fured Kiono will still be BIS for dps classes in most cases.

As for helms, 5% power increase on kill for 10 seconds, will still not be as useful as the protégé gear assuming the trial takes place in an undermountain region. Executioners Zeal bonus that adds 1% AP on kill, which is three times weaker than Executioners Zeal from the Chultan Boots. Lastly Executioners Guard, which adds 5% defense for 10 seconds on kill. With max defense being a requirement for Tomm, 5% over the cap will again be useless.

For the gloves, there is a+3% damage to encounters, a +3% damage to at wills, and -3% ranged damage taken. All of these options are somewhat viable but only one can be selected.

For the boots, gaining additional movement speed when in combat may have some versatility, but unlikely when compared with gaining 5% combat advantage, gaining 3% damage when over 75% stamina, gaining 3% AP on kill, 3% melee damage, or 3% damage to at wills. Death Defier's Might adding 250 power per enemy engaged in combat also pales in comparison to the aforementioned bonuses. Lastly, Focus which gives 200 crit per enemy engaged with is again a useless bonus with a stat cap of 80k.

On another note the current successor boots for ranged classes that add a combat advantage bonus when beyond 25' is also useless on any ranged class that cannot grant their own combat advantage as you must be with 15-20', however far that happens to be in game, to gain the advantage.

The rings will be useful but require competition of Tomm and RNG, and given how long some people had to farm Fane to find a +4 or +5 ring I imagine it may hundreds of runs before a +5 ring is found and possibly into the 1000s of runs to find the desired ring.

The Demo set is still ahead of all other current sets with regard to dps. Tying all of the newer sets to daily activation ensures there bonus is only activated approximately every 45-75 seconds. The new Halister gear set bonus appears nice but the bonus will become null if you have to dodge or adjust to get combat advantage.

While these items are still in the test phase I would like to see something comparable to current dps gear or a more permanent defense bonus with regard to tanks.

Or even look at the option of paying AD to transfer an equip bonus from a lower IL item to another.

I'm sure a large number of players would prefer to utilize the newer gear but the currently have to sacrifice damage output for a higher IL.

Sorry for the long post.

Jufes

Comments

• icekoob#9523 icekoob Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    This. Add gear abilities to transmutes. I'd pay happily all of my ad to be able to migrate bonuses from heels/kinuno to successor gear

> @jufes said:
    > From looking at the new gear and the bonuses they provide, there is a vast difference in usefulness. Not only is the new 1k gear only providing 1200 defense instead of 2000 like current 1k gear, but only one of the armor pieces seems worth using and that is the 1k version of Terrored grips.
    >
    > For chests, there is a slightly upgraded version of Gurdunn's Defense with 50 more IL, Butchers Tenacity bonus that adds 1% armor pen when hitting for more than 15% of your HP. These bonuses will now only proc on daily and encounter use as at wills don't do the necessary damage, so getting to the 5 stacks on any class besides HR is nearly impossible. Lastly Butchers remedy, which heals for 1% when damaged for 15% of your HP or more, to be used in a trail where the new minimum hit will be 300k according to some of the alpha testers. Aside from tanks and the new requirement for hit points Hag Rags and Fured Kiono will still be BIS for dps classes in most cases.
    >
    > As for helms, 5% power increase on kill for 10 seconds, will still not be as useful as the protégé gear assuming the trial takes place in an undermountain region. Executioners Zeal bonus that adds 1% AP on kill, which is three times weaker than Executioners Zeal from the Chultan Boots. Lastly Executioners Guard, which adds 5% defense for 10 seconds on kill. With max defense being a requirement for Tomm, 5% over the cap will again be useless.
    >
    > For the gloves, there is a+3% damage to encounters, a +3% damage to at wills, and -3% ranged damage taken. All of these options are somewhat viable but only one can be selected.
    >
    > For the boots, gaining additional movement speed when in combat may have some versatility, but unlikely when compared with gaining 5% combat advantage, gaining 3% damage when over 75% stamina, gaining 3% AP on kill, 3% melee damage, or 3% damage to at wills. Death Defier's Might adding 250 power per enemy engaged in combat also pales in comparison to the aforementioned bonuses. Lastly, Focus which gives 200 crit per enemy engaged with is again a useless bonus with a stat cap of 80k.
    >
    > On another note the current successor boots for ranged classes that add a combat advantage bonus when beyond 25' is also useless on any ranged class that cannot grant their own combat advantage as you must be with 15-20', however far that happens to be in game, to gain the advantage.
    >
    > The rings will be useful but require competition of Tomm and RNG, and given how long some people had to farm Fane to find a +4 or +5 ring I imagine it may hundreds of runs before a +5 ring is found and possibly into the 1000s of runs to find the desired ring.
    >
    > The Demo set is still ahead of all other current sets with regard to dps. Tying all of the newer sets to daily activation ensures there bonus is only activated approximately every 45-75 seconds. The new Halister gear set bonus appears nice but the bonus will become null if you have to dodge or adjust to get combat advantage.
    >
    > While these items are still in the test phase I would like to see something comparable to current dps gear or a more permanent defense bonus with regard to tanks.
    >
    > Or even look at the option of paying AD to transfer an equip bonus from a lower IL item to another.
    >
    > I'm sure a large number of players would prefer to utilize the newer gear but the currently have to sacrifice damage output for a higher IL.
    >
    > Sorry for the long post.
    >
    > Jufes
  • gonzakotwigonzakotwi Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    Would be great if you get like an enchanting stone for this bonuses. Then Lets suppose you use sucessor gloves and add ranged damage on it instead of their current bonus
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Over time we will need higher stats and when that happens the older gear with bonus damage will be replaced.

As for artifact gear I find it weird that here we are almost 10 mods later and Demo is still the best set and we have had plenty of sets introduced over that time.

If the devs would increase the damage bonus we get from our ability scores and make new sets have 2x those stats some sets such as demo would become obsolete.

For instance if the Halister set provided +5 Int and Cha and Int provided 2% dmg increase per a stat over 10, I believe many wizard would take this set over the Demo simply do to the 10% constant dmg bonus from the +5 Int.

One thing I noticed is that with mod 16 is the value of enchantments is lower now than in previous mods, even with power being a primary stat to increase you only really need R8 to play end game content.

• ailliver#7283 ailliver Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    They need to look at why we are using the sets we are using still and apply those bonuses to the newer gear if they want us to give them all up. Give us our straight damage boosters and we will be happier. 3% ranged/melee on rings, 3% at-wills on wrists, 3% encounters on boots, 5% on dailies (cause they charge so much slower we need the incentive to care) on some uber unders. A variety of helms that give boosts to specific mobs with the same base stats so we don't have to juggle everything. You would think that would be so much easier to program then coming up with random numbers that we can't currently take benefit of because we had to cap those stats to get to the areas to get the new gear that boosts the stats we already have capped.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I agree that some new gear is "useless" due to sloppy design and this should not have happened.

I disagree with the premise that the end-game newest gear should be designed to always be best gear.

The way it is creates a nice variety of options for players.

The original poster is greatly over-egaggerating the multiplicative exponential effect of damage bonus from gear:

If a player obtains six pieces of gear that all give a 3% damage bonus... AND they all function at simultaneously.. the player receives a 19.4% damage bonus from the gear. This is only 1.4% more than the additive formula that gives 18% bonus.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    I for one actually think they did a good job with the gear, especially companion gear. There are a few gear like the headpiece you mentioned, and some rings having more variations than others, the companion gear having like 20 def/off slots compared to like 5 double slot gear. But seriously, compared to what mod16 succesor gear was, this is definitely an improvement. All they need to do is inspect most of the classes to see what they are using, take the bonuses on each piece and use it on the new mods, that way, the newer gear and higher IL gear will always be BiS. It sounds nice on paper but that would seriously make the game super generic. But what they could do is make the highest IL gear reasonably tough to get, but without the ridiculous RnG base. Personally i liked the barovian hunts, the chances weren't null but weren't super high either, it took me about 3 runs to get the hags and 100 to get the arm piece, but yes, it was worth it.
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    You did read the post that noworries gave where they are going to increase combat advantage to 65'(the maximum range of any power) right? They can not make it to where there is not a distance check on powers, as that is hardwired into the game systems.
  • ailliver#7283 ailliver Member Posts: 16 Arc User

You did read the post that noworries gave where they are going to increase combat advantage to 65'(the maximum range of any power) right? They can not make it to where there is not a distance check on powers, as that is hardwired into the game systems.

It's 85' and he didn't exactly give us any kind of a timeline in there. As it stands, I have numerous ranged toons with boots similar to the others mentioned that are a complete joke with the current CA mechanics.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

It's 85' and he didn't exactly give us any kind of a timeline in there. As it stands, I have numerous ranged toons with boots similar to the others mentioned that are a complete joke with the current CA mechanics.
    Agreed. The man said they would "look into extending it". He offered no guarantee that it would happen. He offered no timeline. And everyone seems to be taking it as a guarantee.

This is what he basically said.

"We're going to spend a little time looking into how this is all set up. It's not a priority issue so no guarantee we'll do anything. If it looks like it will take more time than we want to invest into changing it than, guess what, we never actually promised it was a guarantee. We did what we said we would. Looked at it. You're welcome."
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User

I agree that some new gear is "useless" due to sloppy design and this should not have happened.

I disagree with the premise that the end-game newest gear should be designed to always be best gear.

The way it is creates a nice variety of options for players.

The original poster is greatly over-egaggerating the multiplicative exponential effect of damage bonus from gear:

If a player obtains six pieces of gear that all give a 3% damage bonus... AND they all function at simultaneously.. the player receives a 19.4% damage bonus from the gear. This is only 1.4% more than the additive formula that gives 18% bonus.

how is there an extra 1.4%?
    is this just due to faulty coding?
    1.03 x 1.03 x 1.03 x 1.03 x 1.03 x 1.03 = 1.1940 (damage multiplier)
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited July 2019

Over time we will need higher stats and when that happens the older gear with bonus damage will be replaced.

As for artifact gear I find it weird that here we are almost 10 mods later and Demo is still the best set and we have had plenty of sets introduced over that time.

Well, the answer for the 2. is that the 1. is faulty thinking. While true in a vacuum, the Power difference gets diminished by all the extra Power you get from the other stuff and the rate your Power grows from it. In short, the new gear can give you even 10k more Power but if you have got 230k Power already and it just gives 5% damage, it would be just not worth it.

@mentinmindmaker pointed out correctly, that +3-5% bonuses are multiplicative, so they are always giving you 3-5%, while stat bonuses are diminishing.

These bonuses are always have an inherent danger of making their way back if the developers are not careful enough.

In my opinion, the Orcus set needs to be nerfed to 5%. You could buff the new sets as well, but seems unreasonable, because you are getting most of it so late, that you don't really need their benefit now and the next content will be designed with them in mind.

Btw, this was a discussion at mod 14, when the Barovian hunt items appeared... and yes, the Omu items were just better. And they listened and changed them. So, they are aware of the problem, just I guess waiting for a time when the community is more accepting to nerf old items.
  • raziel2004#7353 raziel2004 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Hermmm.... I'm not sure if this is good suggestion for next mod gears (specially rings). Can new rings will drop as green artifacts and rank up to full potential using marks drop from TOMM. I know this will be like SKT again but rng for legend rings will be quite painfull.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I think, that they will nerf old gear. Waiting for older players, to drop better gear is useless.

I used HV and HP set, until they nerfed the bonus. Ignoring comments from idiots complaining about my low HP (bc of the old set) and my defensive playstyle (bc of the low HP). A party with SW, DC and CW with old sets was able to burn Demigorgon in seconds, while most parties struggled, to complete the phases.

To make the changes not THAT brutal, they could add a legacy bonus to some items, like with some epic mounts. This way long time players would still have some bonus/reward for their grind.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.