test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bonus from gear - No more than two of the same type

mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
I noticed that for range and melee bonus that you cannot have more than two of the same type of bonus. Just curious if this also applies to rings; such as having two of the same ring, like Shadow Stalker +5. I know from the older mods that you could not have two of the same rings but with this mod is it now possible to run two shadow stalker +5?

Comments

• kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    For almost everything you can only have ONE of the same bonus. The only exception I know of are the bonuses "Sniper's Perk" and "Swordsman's Perk" - both of these bonuses can stack up to twice. So no .... you cannot stack 2 Shadow Stalker +5 rings (but you can stack a +4 and a +5, as they are different bonuses).
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

For almost everything you can only have ONE of the same bonus. The only exception I know of are the bonuses "Sniper's Perk" and "Swordsman's Perk" - both of these bonuses can stack up to twice. So no .... you cannot stack 2 Shadow Stalker +5 rings (but you can stack a +4 and a +5, as they are different bonuses).

That is what I wanted to know before I go with an Ebony ring that has sniper perk and move on from my eye stalk wraps.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    On the subject of Item Bonuses...

The Gear that gives short term bumps to fixed chances... such as the Glistening Scales "Victims Parry".
    Do they breech the cap?
    It's just that the above doesn't seem to make much sense if they don't.

Victim's Parry
    "When you are hit at 25% Health or lower, your Deflection increases 50% for 5 seconds. (Is there anyone who can take full advantage of that, given the caveat below?)
    If you have less than 5000 Deflection, you will gain 2500 for 5 seconds instead. (15 second cooldown)."

Does it mean "... your Deflection increases TO 50% for 5 seconds..."
    And why such a cheap return for someone with low Deflection??? If your Deflect chance is below zero, add 2.5% to it? Huh? What's the point of even bothering?
    It's got a 15 second cooldown so its hardly going to replace the need for an actual Deflection rating... particularly when it only kicks in at <25% HP...

I'm sure someone who worked on the Beta can explain that... guys?

On a broader note regarding how stats are figured.
    Am I being pedantic when I say that it might behove Cryptics Development process to start completing sentences when describing how stuff works?
    Saying, "Effect X increases Critical Strike 50%" might seem straightforward, however you try to figure it, but it's not.

Example.

Critical Strike (or Deflect etc) as a percentage is figured AFTER the Crit Resist of the opponent has been subtracted. And a percentage score does NOT add to the the percentage chance, but is instead converted BACK into the Base Stat at a rate of 1% - 1000 points.

So... if Effect X increases Crit <b class="Bold">BY 50%, it adds 50'000 to your Critical Strike stat, the opponents Crit Resist is subtracted, and you have a percentage chance to Crit.
    If you have a LOW Critical Strike, say 10K, adding 50K to it will still not cap in something like LoMM... around 42% (not much of an issue now, but in Mods to come, where the range will be bigger it will make a difference.

On the other hand... if Effect X increases Crit TO 50%... it''s fairly self explanatory. You get a 50% chance to Crit, for the duration of the effect. No other mathematics required.

Just add one simple TWO LETTER word to such item descriptions, complete the sentence and remove any ambiguity.
    Is it "TO" or is it "BY"???
    And since it's only for a couple of seconds do they breach the normal caps? (I'm guessing not, and those caps are hard coded as absolutes.)

@nitocris83 can you give them a gentle nudge on this please...
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User

The Gear that gives short term bumps to fixed chances... such as the Glistening Scales "Victims Parry".
    Do they breech the cap?

Victim's Parry
    "When you are hit at 25% Health or lower, your Deflection increases 50% for 5 seconds. (Is there anyone who can take full advantage of that, given the caveat below?)
    If you have less than 5000 Deflection, you will gain 2500 for 5 seconds instead. (15 second cooldown)."

And why such a cheap return for someone with low Deflection??? If your Deflect chance is below zero, add 2.5% to it? Huh? What's the point of even bothering?
    It's got a 15 second cooldown so its hardly going to replace the need for an actual Deflection rating... particularly when it only kicks in at <25% HP...

Am I being pedantic when I say that it might behove Cryptics Development process to start completing sentences when describing how stuff works?
    Saying, "Effect X increases Critical Strike 50%" might seem straightforward, however you try to figure it, but it's not.

Example.

Critical Strike (or Deflect etc) as a percentage is figured AFTER the Crit Resist of the opponent has been subtracted. And a percentage score does NOT add to the the percentage chance, but is instead converted BACK into the Base Stat at a rate of 1% - 1000 points.

So... if Effect X increases Crit <b class="Bold">BY 50%, it adds 50'000 to your Critical Strike stat, the opponents Crit Resist is subtracted, and you have a percentage chance to Crit.
    If you have a LOW Critical Strike, say 10K, adding 50K to it will still not cap in something like LoMM... around 42% (not much of an issue now, but in Mods to come, where the range will be bigger it will make a difference.

On the other hand... if Effect X increases Crit TO 50%... it''s fairly self explanatory. You get a 50% chance to Crit, for the duration of the effect. No other mathematics required.

Just add one simple TWO LETTER word to such item descriptions, complete the sentence and remove any ambiguity.
    And since it's only for a couple of seconds do they breach the normal caps? (I'm guessing not, and those caps are hard coded as absolutes.)

So ... you are asking alot of questions here, but I will give you the answers as I understand them;

Items which add a % of stats cannot breach the cap (with one notable, possibly bugged exception). These items also tend to give you a portion of YOUR stats ... not the total of you + Pet shown on your sheet. For example:

Your gear gives you a total of 60,000 power.
    Your pet (through bonding) gives you 40,000 more power.

You trigger an item which gives +5% more power.

At first glance, it looks like you should get 5% of the 100,000 power shown on your sheet (so, 5,000 power). But you don't ... instead you get 5% of YOUR power (5% of 60,000 power, or 3,000 power).

It works the same way with resisted stats. If you have 30,000 crit on you and 30,000 crit on your pet (60,000 total) and trigger a 5% bonus to crit, you end up with a bonus of 1500 crit for a total of 61,500. Lets say you are running LotMM (opponents have a crit resistance of 18,000). Before the bonus your crit chance was 42% ((60K - 18K)/1000) Now it's 43.5% ((61.5K - 18K)/1000).

This is why most serious DPS people are sticking with the older gear that gives a flat +X% to damage rather than the newer gear which gives a very small increase to stats that are likely already capped.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
    edited July 2019

Do they breech the cap?

Victim's Parry

Example.

So ... you are asking alot of questions here, but I will give you the answers as I understand them;

Items which add a % of stats cannot breach the cap (with one notable, possibly bugged exception). These items also tend to give you a portion of YOUR stats ... not the total of you + Pet shown on your sheet. For example:

Your gear gives you a total of 60,000 power.
    Your pet (through bonding) gives you 40,000 more power.

You trigger an item which gives +5% more power.

At first glance, it looks like you should get 5% of the 100,000 power shown on your sheet (so, 5,000 power). But you don't ... instead you get 5% of YOUR power (5% of 60,000 power, or 3,000 power).

It works the same way with resisted stats. If you have 30,000 crit on you and 30,000 crit on your pet (60,000 total) and trigger a 5% bonus to crit, you end up with a bonus of 1500 crit for a total of 61,500. Lets say you are running LotMM (opponents have a crit resistance of 18,000). Before the bonus your crit chance was 42% ((60K - 18K)/1000) Now it's 43.5% ((61.5K - 18K)/1000).

This is why most serious DPS people are sticking with the older gear that gives a flat +X% to damage rather than the newer gear which gives a very small increase to stats that are likely already capped.
    Jared (@noworries) disagrees with that.
    I asked during preview and according to him, and @thefabricant, a +1% on any stat that has an opposing roll, (I'm not sure about Power and Health, they weren't part of the discussion.) adds 1000 points BACK into the pre figured stat before it is opposed by the target. It is NOT a percentage of how many points you already have, either with or without companion adds.

He said that a +5% bonus Chance to Crit is "synonymous" with a +5000 point bonus to the base Critical Strike stat.
    That's why the +5% on Crit does not generate a default 5% "Base Chance" as many people believe it does, nor does it allow Crit to rise to 55% as a few people still seem to think.

A +XX% to a Chance is +XX'000 points to the base stat PRIOR to the opposing stat being applied. That is all...

(Again, Pow and Health may work differently, and probably do.)

If this is not how it works in practice, someone might want to tell Jared...
    edited July 2019
    Here we go.

I found it.

Please remember that this was way back on page 2 of the Mod 16 Stats and Mechanics discussion on the Preview forum, so the figures referred to are 500:1 as opposed to the 1000:1 we have now...

For how Neverwinter now works a statement that "Critical Strike is increased by 2500" and "Critical Chance is increased by 5%" are synonymous. If it was ever something that was going to apply outside of ratings or exceed a ratings effective cap, it would be called out specifically as doing that.

Ratings themselves don't actually do anything to your character, they get converted into the absolute percent value and that is what affects the character.

So can you see why I wanted clarification on the "BY" or "TO"?
    edited July 2019

Here we go.

I found it.

Please remember that this was way back on page 2 of the Mod 16 Stats and Mechanics discussion on the Preview forum, so the figures referred to are 500:1 as opposed to the 1000:1 we have now...

For how Neverwinter now works a statement that "Critical Strike is increased by 2500" and "Critical Chance is increased by 5%" are synonymous. If it was ever something that was going to apply outside of ratings or exceed a ratings effective cap, it would be called out specifically as doing that.

Ratings themselves don't actually do anything to your character, they get converted into the absolute percent value and that is what affects the character.

So can you see why I wanted clarification on the "BY" or "TO"?
    Complexity removed in one area, feats, added in other areas companion and stats. Devs didn't remove complexity but shifted where complexity resides.

• artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Read Noworries' statement again carefully.

Critical Strike and Critical Chance are not the same thing.

In your example, Victim's Parry would supposedly increase your Deflection rating (not Deflection Chance) by 50% of your current (base?) Deflection.

If your current Deflection is less than 5000 you would get less than 5000*0.5=2500 so instead you get 2500 Deflection.

Don't ask me if it actually works. I've never tried it and I couldn't care less.
    artifleur said:

Read Noworries' statement again carefully.

Critical Strike and Critical Chance are not the same thing.

In your example, Victim's Parry would supposedly increase your Deflection rating (not Deflection Chance) by 50% of your current (base?) Deflection.

If your current Deflection is less than 5000 you would get less than 5000*0.5=2500 so instead you get 2500 Deflection.

Don't ask me if it actually works. I've never tried it and I couldn't care less.

No.
    That's not right.
    Read what @noworries#8859 wrote again, carefully.
    Specifically the bit where he says, ""Critical Strike is increased by 2500" and "Critical Chance is increased by 5%" are synonymous." (or "Mean the same thing.") And also the bit where he says that if something were to act differently to that it would be "Called out" as so doing.

50% does NOT add 50% of YOUR stat value. It adds a flat 50'000 points. (in his example it is 2500, because 500:1 was the conversion rate at the time before they were doubled to 1000:1 )
    BUT... only IF "increased 50%" means increased BY 50% and not increased TO 50%

Or that is how it is MEANT to work...
    If it doesn't then the people developing the game LITERALLY don't know what they are doing, because they think it does do exactly that.
    I know that because I asked Jared (Lead Systems Designer) specifically about it, and the above is the answer he gave.
    Jared's comment didn't just appear for no reason. He was asked (by me, and a couple of other people) about the specific statement of the "+5 chance by default" added to every character's Crit Chance. It was part of a larger discussion, and he clarified exactly how many points someone gets from a +% bonus.

I've not seen anything written down by the devs to state specifically how much Power someone gets from a +XX%, (I don't think I've seen a +% to Power and I'd be surprised if they use that term for Power because there is no fixed opposing roll to add a percentage to.)

What I still believe, and have been saying so since that conversation began, is that they should decide on ONE format for explaining the same thing. IF a "+5% by default" to a chance doesn't actually do that, but rolls back into the basic equation and adds 5000 to the base stat, then it should SAY +5000 points to the stat.
    How hard is that to do? That way if one of those situation where it DOES breach the cap and allows a chance to go above its normal Max, they could use +% and state that it breaks the cap.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    So if I understand corectly, any item with +3% damage to ranged powers or encounters powers, or melee powers, or just all powers, is +3000 power?

That changes the bonus from multiplicative to aditive and makes them much worse...

If thats the case then old % items are not so good, or for example you could sacrifice a lot of power for an item with +% dmg...
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
    edited July 2019

So if I understand corectly, any item with +3% damage to ranged powers or encounters powers, or melee powers, or just all powers, is +3000 power?

That changes the bonus from multiplicative to aditive and makes them much worse...

If thats the case then old % items are not so good, or for example you could sacrifice a lot of power for an item with +% dmg...

No.
    Don't leap to that conclusion based on the conversation above.

We don't know about Power. The answer Jared gave, and the point I've been trying to make, was specifically related to Stats that are involved in figuring opposing rolls.

I've yet to see any official explanation of how +XX% damage relates to Power prior to the calculation of damage done. But if everyone is making the same assumption about Power that they seem to have been making about other +% bonuses (i.e that they work as a percentage of your existing stats, when in fact they are a hard 1000 points per 1%) then it might be worth making absolutely sure.

If it DOES work the same way (and personally I don't think it does) and (for example) +3% Damage actually rolls back into the damage equation as +3000 Pow prior to calculating the damage, then yes, it's not as good and +5% Damage is worse than +6000 Power.

If someone can point to somewhere where a Dev has clarified this I'd be grateful if they could link/direct me to it, cheers.
    I think I see your problem now.

First, there is no "increase to", it's always "increase by".

"Increase critical STRIKE by 5000" and "increase critical CHANCE by 5%" are synonymous but "Increase critical STRIKE by 5%" is completely different.

"increase critical CHANCE by 5%" means "add 5% to your current crit chance" which has the same effect has adding 5000 your critical strike.

"Increase critical STRIKE by 5%" means "add 5% of your current crit strike to your crit strike" or rather "multiply your critical strike by 1.05".

"increase critical CHANCE by 5%" is outdated and meant to disappear but a few instances remain.

Victim's Parry refers to Deflection, which is a basic rating similar to Critical Strike. Deflection Chance is its derived stat similar to Critical Chance.
    artifleur said:

I think I see your problem now.

First, there is no "increase to", it's always "increase by".

"Increase critical STRIKE by 5000" and "increase critical CHANCE by 5%" are synonymous but "Increase critical STRIKE by 5%" is completely different.

"increase critical CHANCE by 5%" means "add 5% to your current crit chance" which has the same effect has adding 5000 your critical strike.

"Increase critical STRIKE by 5%" means "add 5% of your current crit strike to your crit strike" or rather "multiply your critical strike by 1.05".

"increase critical CHANCE by 5%" is outdated and meant to disappear but a few instances remain.

Victim's Parry refers to Deflection, which is a basic rating similar to Critical Strike. Deflection Chance is its derived stat similar to Critical Chance.

We're going round in circles here.

I'm going to try again...

First a Chance is NOT a Stat... it's a chance... conflating the two by using the same term will only make you more confused.

+ANY% to a Chance equates to that number multiplied by 1000 points to the Stat!!!

""Increase critical STRIKE by 5%" means "add 5% of your current crit strike to your crit strike" or rather "multiply your critical strike by 1.05"."

is just not what @noworries#8859 said. It is NOT based on YOUR STATS!!! Its 1000 points per 1%...

Again...
    Jared Sears (Lead System Designer) said... when asked about how adding percentages to stats precisely works...

"For how Neverwinter now works a statement that "Critical Strike is increased by 2500" and "Critical Chance is increased by 5%" are synonymous. If it was ever something that was going to apply outside of ratings or exceed a ratings effective cap, it would be called out specifically as doing that."
    (Remember to double the 2500, because the statement was made when it was 500:1)

So
    +5000 to Stat = +5% to Chance.
    +5% to Chance = +5000 to Stat.

If it were as you say, and based on a percentage of your own base Stat it would be, as Jared says, "called out specifically as doing that"

UNLESS an item, companion, boon, whatEVER bonus of +XX% SPECIFICALLY describes it as adding a percentage based on YOUR STATS, (and so far I have seen none that do) a +XX% adds 1000 points per 1% to the stat before the opposing calculation is made.

Unless the Lead Systems Designer is either confused, wrong, or lying about the system he designed.
    And I don't believe he is.
    I'll try one last time, @mordekai#1901 .

+5000 to Stat = +5% to Chance. 
    +5% to Chance = +5000 to Stat.
    +5% to Stat ≠ +5% to Chance

To answer @darthpotater, +3% whatever damage means that your whatever damage is multiplied by 1.03. It has nothing to do with power and, in fact, it is multiplicative with your power damage multiplier.

Example : with +3% melee damage and 100k power, your melee damage is multiplied by 1.03*2=2.06.
    edited July 2019
    Let's use a fairly simple hypothetical...

Let's imagine a character "Jeff" with 40'000 Critical Strike.
    (And to avoid further complication we'll say that this includes his +5% by default... whether that was +5000 points, like the guy who designed the system says it does... or a percentage of what it was before the 5% was added, so something more like +1905 points doesn't matter right now, but it will in a minute...)

Jeff lines up, with his 40K Crit, to hit an enemy elephant with 15'000 Critical Resist.

Jeff has a base Crit "chance" of 25%... we're agreed on that, right?

But wait... Jeff has a magic ring that increases his Critical chance vs elephants by 5%.

So, this is the question...
    How many points does that ring add to Jeff's Critical chance when he thumps Nelly?

It suggests (by saying it increases the chance by 5%) that... it adds 5%.
    But wait... there are two schools of thought on this..._

In MY scenario, a +5% chance adds... +5% because each percentage point adds 1000 to the base stat. And Jeff has a 30% Crit chance against pachyderms... Ta-dah!!
    So, my answer is that +5% = +5%

But in the "multiplied by 1.xx% it would add 2000 points which would translate to...+2% to Critical Chance.
    In fact it would be less than 2%... because that 40000 is not a base remember... it's 105% of a base of about 38095 because of the +5% by default... so the ring would actually add... another 1905. so in your example, Jeff's ring that "INCREASES" his Crit chance by 5% actually increases his Crit chance by 1.9%
    It seems that your answer is that +5% = +1.9%

Now excuse me if I don't shake my head a little at the notion that something that says that it increases a chance by 5% actually doesn't give a +5% bonus unless you have precisely, EXACTLY 100'000 base on the stat, but gives a wildly varying bonus that you have to work out every time you use it?

The system that "Percent means percent of your base stat" MIGHT be how it works with Power and it's application to damage and healing... but, it is NOT how it works with opposing rolls.

On opposing rolls +1% = +1000 points to the base stat... so that when it translates BACK into the equations result, it does what it says and adds exactly ONE PERCENT to the chance not some wild variation based on what a character may or may not already have because it added a fraction of .

ETA: Show me an example of where they use +XX% to a STAT not a CHANCE other than Power.
    I don't think we're going to resolve or see eye to eye on this, and I think the main reason is that there are too many contradictions and terminology inconsistencies.

Without seeing the chances on the character sheet it's near impossible to tell what's being added where.
    Add to that the inconsistencies in Terminology and it's a HAMSTER mess.

I just tried to see if I could spot the changes in the 50% Deflection thing, and realised there IS NO "Deflection" listed on the character sheet.
    The "Stat" is Deflect...
    So... is Deflection the term for the Chance? Is it Deflect by any other name?

At that point I realised I was losing the will to HAMSTER live and decided that rather than arguing about Cryptic's points of terminology, I could just slam my head in the door and get the headache done with.

Someone at Cryptic needs to sit down and collate the terminology.
    I've been arguing for this on Control and Effects terminology, but it seems it needs to be a wider effort. I don;t know if you saw how confused people were by their repeated use of "critters" in Streams, and how once they clarified it, no one misunderstood any more...

They need to do that on a wider platform. For one thing, it would save them a HAMSTER load of follow up on "When you say THIS... what do you actually mean..."

Let's use a fairly simple hypothetical...

Let's imagine a character "Jeff" with 40'000 Critical Strike.
    (And to avoid further complication we'll say that this includes his +5% by default... whether that was +5000 points, like the guy who designed the system says it does... or a percentage of what it was before the 5% was added, so something more like +1905 points doesn't matter right now, but it will in a minute...)

Jeff lines up, with his 40K Crit, to hit an enemy elephant with 15'000 Critical Resist.

Jeff has a base Crit "chance" of 25%... we're agreed on that, right?

But wait... Jeff has a magic ring that increases his Critical chance vs elephants by 5%.

So, this is the question...
    How many points does that ring add to Jeff's Critical chance when he thumps Nelly?

It suggests (by saying it increases the chance by 5%) that... it adds 5%.
    But wait... there are two schools of thought on this..._

In MY scenario, a +5% chance adds... +5% because each percentage point adds 1000 to the base stat. And Jeff has a 30% Crit chance against pachyderms... Ta-dah!!
    So, my answer is that +5% = +5%

But in the "multiplied by 1.xx% it would add 2000 points which would translate to...+2% to Critical Chance.
    In fact it would be less than 2%... because that 40000 is not a base remember... it's 105% of a base of about 38095 because of the +5% by default... so the ring would actually add... another 1905. so in your example, Jeff's ring that "INCREASES" his Crit chance by 5% actually increases his Crit chance by 1.9%
    It seems that your answer is that +5% = +1.9%

Now excuse me if I don't shake my head a little at the notion that something that says that it increases a chance by 5% actually doesn't give a +5% bonus unless you have precisely, EXACTLY 100'000 base on the stat, but gives a wildly varying bonus that you have to work out every time you use it?

The system that "Percent means percent of your base stat" MIGHT be how it works with Power and it's application to damage and healing... but, it is NOT how it works with opposing rolls.

On opposing rolls +1% = +1000 points to the base stat... so that when it translates BACK into the equations result, it does what it says and adds exactly ONE PERCENT to the chance not some wild variation based on what a character may or may not already have because it added a fraction of .

This isn't confusing at all.

Jeff has 30% chance to crit against pachyderms with 15k crit resist.

Now if Jeff gets a second ring with "increase your critical strike by 5%", his crit strike will become 40k*1.05=42k and his chance to crit against pachyderms with 15k crit resist will be 32%.

ETA: Show me an example of where they use +XX% to a STAT not a CHANCE other than Power.

It's not so common but it definitely exists. You gave us an example with victim's parry. I can also name bonespurs with +% armor penetration or the spy's guild chest piece fo +% defense.
    The stats in this game aren't all that hard to understand.

Simply go to each zone/dungeon and make sure you have the required stats by having 50K + enemies stats. Than from there raise power as much as possible. After that, make sure you look at your gear and go with damage bonus gear over power bonus gear as power is good and all but damage bonus out paces power bonus increase because of how the math works for this game.

If the devs wanted to keep the game simple, simply tweak all damage bonus gear to give that % as power instead of damage bonus. Than going pure power would be the best solution.

I mean they simplified our companion downs to almost nothing, so it wouldn't surprise me to see something similar happening to our gear as well.