test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ranger damage question

johonxgaltjohonxgalt Member Posts: 93 Arc User
Question on ranger damage based on your weapons. I run a combat ranger and never go into range stance. Does the damage on my Main Hand (bow) increase my melee damage at all or is that only calculated on the off hand?

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Damage is based off your weapons, main and offhand.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • johonxgaltjohonxgalt Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Let me clarify, a ranger uses the main hand weapon (bow) in ranged stance and the off hand (axe) in melee stance.

Each weapon has a low and high damage number displayed.

Is my melee damage based off of the damage number of my offhand only or does the damage number on my main hand bow somehow improve my offhand damage.

Is it Main hand affects ranged damage, offhand affects melee damage
    or
    The sum of Main hand and Off Hand gives an average to both stances.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    --
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    How damage is calculated for Rangers is the same way it is calculated for other classes; both the offhand and the main hand weapons are used.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    greywynd said:

How damage is calculated for Rangers is the same way it is calculated for other classes; both the offhand and the main hand weapons are used.

Not totally true. For a Ranger the Off-hands damage (blades) is used for Melee attacks. The Main-Hands (Bow) damage is used for ranged attacks. With all the new sets though those damages are the same assuming you have them refined to the same level (epic/epic say).
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    If you are combat only, the only things that the bow is giving you are stats, the enchantment/weapon enhancement slots and whatever is unlocked through it. You could leave your bow at epic quality and get everything except a few stat points.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Totally wrong.

Ranged damage uses main-hand only, melee damage uses off-hand only.
    If that were true wouldn't the damage of either weapon far exceed the damage of any other class's?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    greywynd said:

If that were true wouldn't the damage of either weapon far exceed the damage of any other class's?

The OH of other class (except TR) has no damage.
    TR's orange Primal MH/OH are 1263-1544 each.
    GWF orange Primal MH is 2527-3088. OH has no damage.
    HR orange primal MH/OH are 2527-3088 each.
    OP orange primal MH is 2527-3088. OH has no damage.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • johonxgaltjohonxgalt Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Thank you all for the feedback.

I have the Alabaster offhand and was debating using the purple main hand from ME's for the increased damage and stats but think that the Artifact power on my Primal main hand is better than the small stat upgrade on the purple from the ME.