test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enemies Dodging "Retaliate" Rustle my Jimmies

Hi there. New here; new to Neverwinter.

I'm playing as a Fighter with the Tank Paragon focus. I almost never used Dig In before reaching level 30, but now—with Retaliate—I use it all the time. The problem I have with the ability is that it requires accurate timing to successfully perform (you have to drop your guard right after an enemy attacks, and then you perform a shield bash that hits multiple enemies for decent damage.) It's also difficult for me to reach the tab key, but that's a personal problem. But, anyway:

I recently encountered enemies that

TELEPORT BEHIND ME

right after they attack!

It's infuriating, I end up wasting a 10 second cooldown, just swinging my shield at nothing. Meanwhile, the baddies get free reign of my backside until I can rotate my character 180 degrees.

Am I doing something wrong here? Does this bother anyone else?

Comments

• aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I don't main a fighter, so I won't comment on your selection of encounters/at-wills. I don't believe I use those feats on my alt, though he is level 80 and I might have chosen a better series of attacks due to higher levels.

My thought on the issue with teleporting behind you is that it happens with several types of mobs--and they are fairly easy to anticipate once you know that mob's attack sequence. In fact, you can actually watch the first attack and wait that one out, then spin and block their other attack and then counter attack.

It's all about the timing.

It might also be about switching your attack feats to a different group when you are on a map with mobs that teleport. One mob that comes to mind is the devil in Tyranny of Dragons or Well of Dragons stuff. You can also find them on Stronghold content and in a Tiamat raid. If you know that a mob that teleports is a main player in the area that you will be adventuring, switch to feats that will work for that situation. Or expect to do a lot of rotating 180 degrees.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Is the enemy a TR type? TR can do that. Part of the game.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • wintermurlocwintermurloc Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Dig in was a horrible concept to begin with simply because it's redudant with shield albeit a bit stronger and it destroys a perfectly dynamic gameplay into a static mode. It was mentioned by almost all fighters on preview before the mod was out and after much consideration they altered animation time and gave us retaliate which made it something I would never use to slightly useful.

Your particular problem I have encountered as well not just with enemy archetypes but in general with how I play. It had good range and a wide arc but sometimes in the process of trying to maximise how many I can hit on 1 go I run backwards a bit and turn around to retaliate but usually I end up with my back towards them. It's annoying but at least we have control over retaliate because if you don't want to do it simply hold it longer than required and release it. It's not a solution and I would like to add that I too want a qol change where while we are in dig in, we have the ability to turn 360 degrees along with the camera angles. This way you give the fighter more effective use of it.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    dont forget, devs took away melee character speed, and we fight slow and "REALLY Exposed and outflanked to add more frustrations, making me curse at devs. "You Da Fools!".
    blink ability need longer cooldowns, not even real players who can blink that fast. it was over-scale scripted mobs that chain-casting.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    Considering there are usually more opponents than there are players or members of a party, tend to spawn more quickly and some opponents aside from outnumbering players have multiple minor-bosses that have serious AOE strikes, also with shorter cool-down timers between being able to use those powerful strikes...

All I really want is for player characters to have the same advantages (powerful strikes, cool down timers, ect.) as the opponents we're facing - that's it - not a better advantage per-se, just equal advantage considering opponent mobs usually outnumber players and tend to spawn more quickly. ¢¢
    DD~
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    gravemasters are the worst and nasty "ringleader", used excessively with summons, drains, and blinking on fast-casting with no cooldowns., those players with low dps will get overwhelmed by nearly endless waves of undead summons, not able to reach and to kill gravemasters if they face 3 of them, it is too crazy to get thru the wall of undeads.