test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Epic Equipment or lack there of if a solo player

blanndeblannde Member Posts: 76 Arc User
There seems to be a lack of options for solo players to get epic equipment, the trade bar store items are worthless. Nothing is coming up for auction. I dont have the time to go grinding for tokens etc . There is nothing you can buy with astral diamonds. So getting the feeling solo players no longer wanted. The vip gets me nothing worth having now so no point buying zen for that. Cant buy anything useful gear wise with astral diamonds so no point spending money on zen for that either. I'm a older player, not much spare time so don't mind spending a few hundred dollars each year to play. Figured the game was there for someone to make money. Well all I can say is you need to get new marketing people and planners because I used to spend quite a lot of real money on this game, but right now there is absolutely nothing useful for me to buy. And if I cant improve my gear, getting splattered all the time or wasting coin on health potions is not my idea of a fun evening. Have around 30 characters, thats alot of zen (read real money your stock holders are interested in ) to keep them outfitted,, if there was something to use it on... Anyways unless things change soon can see my years of playing fizzing out through a mix of boredom and frustration..

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I have only played solo since mod 16 landed. My characters started with whatever equipment they got before mod 16. They did not buy anything from Zen store, AD store, T-bar store or AH. I also do not play the game as much as I used to. My progress is slow these days. I solo one ME per day. And, my 2 characters (I used to play 6) got their Epic equipment from ME and undermountain campaign. I have a lot of spare Epic equipment I just park in the bank (may be other character can use them when I deal with them).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    Yeah, the best gear is virtually all accessible through solo means. As adinosii mentioned, some of the worst gear in the game comes from the highest tier dungeon, which is absolutely bananas but true. Aside from the seals for Burnished Weapons, there is nothing aside from vanity pets that you cannot get from other dungeons or from the Auction House.

Also, while we're in a crafting slump due to profession updates not hitting along with M16, Explorer's Charts and MW are likely to see a massive resurgence in value in the near future (unless the crafted weapons and armor are on par with Successor gear, in which case I'm burning down my rank 4 workshops in protest).

TL;DR: Game remains incredibly solo friendly.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• blanndeblannde Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Thanks to all those who replied, when I can actually finish UM will see what I get. due to my first under mountain character bugging out with the Subdue Umbraxakar quest haven't actually been able to finish UM yet. Waiting on contact from Support as to whats going on there.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I second the point about not worrying about the Successor gear from LOMM. Tonight I finally managed to get my SW into a group and we completed it. I was so excited to see a Successor chest piece in the loot, until I looked at the stats and its active power. It was...underwhelming. The IL 950 piece I had on from ME's is decidedly better for fights lasting under two minutes. So the successor piece went into the bank.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

So the successor piece went into the bank.

It might be a good idea to hang on to the Successor items. There is a chance that their bonuses might get improved (well, at least the bonuses for the refined versions). No guarantees, but as mentinoed in this thread https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1249501/successor-gear-bonuses the dev said "We've definitely got feedback on the bonuses on Successor; we want this set to feel valuable, so we are looking into this."

Hoping for improvements...
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    blannde said:

There seems to be a lack of options for solo players to get epic equipment, the trade bar store items are worthless. Nothing is coming up for auction. I dont have the time to go grinding for tokens etc . There is nothing you can buy with astral diamonds. So getting the feeling solo players no longer wanted. The vip gets me nothing worth having now so no point buying zen for that. Cant buy anything useful gear wise with astral diamonds so no point spending money on zen for that either. I'm a older player, not much spare time so don't mind spending a few hundred dollars each year to play. Figured the game was there for someone to make money. Well all I can say is you need to get new marketing people and planners because I used to spend quite a lot of real money on this game, but right now there is absolutely nothing useful for me to buy. And if I cant improve my gear, getting splattered all the time or wasting coin on health potions is not my idea of a fun evening. Have around 30 characters, thats alot of zen (read real money your stock holders are interested in ) to keep them outfitted,, if there was something to use it on... Anyways unless things change soon can see my years of playing fizzing out through a mix of boredom and frustration..

So, there *is* epic gear available, but it just isn't the epic gear you want....
    You could buy with seals - but you don't want that.
    You want to spend AD - but nothing available.
    You don't seem to be running MEs in Undermountain, either, which is a huge source of epic gear (and fairly quick, too!) - but you don't want to spend the minimal time to get resonance (seriously, 30 min will cover 2-3 days of MEs for a toon).

Shockingly, the devs seem to think a lot of character improvement should come from playing the game in some way, not just dumping AD for new gear.

The issue seems to be that you just can't buy BiS gear, and actually have to put a bit of time and effort into getting it.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    adinosii said:

It might be a good idea to hang on to the Successor items. There is a chance that their bonuses might get improved (well, at least the bonuses for the refined versions). No guarantees, but as mentinoed in this thread https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1249501/successor-gear-bonuses the dev said "We've definitely got feedback on the bonuses on Successor; we want this set to feel valuable, so we are looking into this."

An update to my earlier post. It seems that they did indeed listen to the complaints, and the Successor gear is getting some updates in today's patch, so the pieces might actually be worth using now...at least for some classes/builds.

Hoping for improvements...
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    I think @blannde main concern is that he has a combinoation of not too much time and many alts to cover.
    So he is trying to find a way to fill gaps with AD witch at current state of the game is not an option.

There is equipment avilable for AD even in Yawning Portal merchant but its not epic and lets be honest not too good but still better then nothing.

Newm MOD should bring a new level 80/master craft items witch should fill a AH gap, but then again not sure if those items (MC ones) would be worthy to spend tons of AD for them for secondary alts... but yeah you gona get that oportuinity next MOD (or sooner).
    gripnir78 that pretty much sums it up - also completed undermountain - when are you supposed to get the 3 items of epic gear exactly? and from where? only items i have picked up were from doing ME afterwards...
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    You get the 3 epic comp gear doing Undermountain. First is a reward for Expedition to Terminus if you gathered all 9 relics. The other 2 pieces come from completing the last quest and then talking to Helion Moonstar.

Epic character gear is combat drops in the MEs from bosses or Zok's boxes. Haven't ever run a 3-rune Rage, so I don't know if you can get from the end chest that way.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited July 2019
    So, there *is* epic gear available, but it just isn't the epic gear you want....
    You could buy with seals - but you don't want that.
    You want to spend AD - but nothing available.
    You don't seem to be running MEs in Undermountain, either, which is a huge source of epic gear (and fairly quick, too!) - but you don't want to spend the minimal time to get resonance (seriously, 30 min will cover 2-3 days of MEs for a toon).

Shockingly, the devs seem to think a lot of character improvement should come from playing the game in some way, not just dumping AD for new gear.

The issue seems to be that you just can't buy BiS gear, and actually have to put a bit of time and effort into getting it.

So how long do you think NWN would last if no one brought zen? Pretty sure ARC were/are more than happy for me to buy lots of zen. I expect the people I exchanged astral diamonds with were also quite happy. Its that economy that keeps the game running. And pretty sure the people I spent over a million astral diamonds on items they were selling were not all that upset that I spent them either. I play for fun, how I play is irrelevant. How much real money people spend on this game is very much relevant.
  • dawndilion#7316 dawndilion Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    It's a progression based mmorpg. The good/BiS gear shouldn't be bought with Zen or AD. That defeats the purpose of playing the game. Almost every single piece of BiS gear (for dps at least) takes minimal effort. Hunts and orcus set. Boom, you're like 80% done. There is not as great gear totally free from mountain seals (which are easy to cap) and drop in ME.
  • fyrstigorfyrstigor Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    @blannde

Why wouldnt u want the seal gear? Its pretty decent for how easy it is to get.

BiS gear have never been able to just be bought, and never should be. It would make the game seem like pay to win for anyone starting out. Some times mastercraft is BiS and for most its easier to buy it than to make it. But these things are offered from player to player, not game to player so they cant be counted.

And if u dont wanna do grouped content, ur gear really isnt important. Everything solo is easy.

If u do drop zen into the game, transfer it to AD, u can buy bondings, level up pets, get enchantments. U have several ways of making ur toon so strong that gear becomes mostly irrelevant anyway. This is the edge u can get from zen and AD, and edge others free to play have to farm for. But on gear ur on equal ground. As it should be.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    You can buy new sets of most of the level 80 artifact sets on the AH for relatively cheap (>250k for the Trobriand set, as an example), and get decent level 80 weapon sets and companions through the T-bar store.

And as others have noted you can earn all the level 950 epic gear you could possibly want just by doing the 3 ME quests / day. Gear that is not that far off being BiS.

I have a lot of quibbles about the state of the game - but it is absolutely solo friendly. Until they fixed the dungeon scaling issues you could have argued the game was ONLY solo friendly.

You can buy new sets of most of the level 80 artifact sets on the AH for relatively cheap (>250k for the Trobriand set, as an example), and get decent level 80 weapon sets and companions through the T-bar store.

And as others have noted you can earn all the level 950 epic gear you could possibly want just by doing the 3 ME quests / day. Gear that is not that far off being BiS.

I have a lot of quibbles about the state of the game - but it is absolutely solo friendly. Until they fixed the dungeon scaling issues you could have argued the game was ONLY solo friendly.

When I wrote the original post I was not at level 80, didn't have an issue with the artifacts or the companions, still don't. It was the armor. Been doing the ME's since yesterday have all new gear now except boots and main weapon. Was a bit surprised didn't actually get any gear finishing the under mountain quest. The one boon seemed a bit cheap for ten levels.

The ME's aren't too bad re length etc except starting to get doubles of gear already, but do appreciate that the gear can be given to other characters of type.

Starting to feel like playing now is more a chore than fun. and I play for fun, the old nwn was relaxing and a bit of fun, building new characters was fun, and fitting them out with gears mounts etc was fun. its lost something since the latest update.

Cant see myself being in any hurray to do 70 to 80 again with all my characters, the story was interesting, but the doing was tedious around 2 thirds the way through. One question anybody else having issues trying to use there old gear to change the look of armor etc ? plus I noticed on the few bits you can they have raised the cost of AD.
    Well, been doing the ME, and have quite a few gloves, lots of gloves... still haven't managed to acquire a full set of gear. Anyhow... and my main complaint is you finish the quest and you don't get a full set of gear ( I don't need it to be the best is slot but it would be dam nice to get something useful to be getting on with like we did with the completion of the level up from 60 to 70 with out having to grind the MEs, which after a week I am now finding tedious. Was also nice to be able to buy some in the trade bar store. Anyhow it is what it is. Will park the bulk of my characters all 30 of them and wait for the new race and see how the game goes starting from zero - Never thought I would miss the elemental evil days... just goes to show... TTFN
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    There is a vendor in the portal that sells stuff for AD.

But I'm not sure what is the point of getting 'epic' equipment for solo play.... Main stats come from the augment + bondings, and we cap the stats with hunts gear.
    Weapon sets are from the MEs anyway.

30 chars for solo play, or any play except storage is beyond my comprehension.

Also they didn't rise the cost of transmutes on their own, what happens is that since inception it was tied to the gear level, and now the level is 80 and not 70.
    Moot anyway as the whole system is changed in m17.