test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

getting a bad vibe from all these sales.

bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
Does the number of flash sales and bargains offered make anyone uneasy? I never remember them being pushed so hard in the past and with the sheer scale of dissatisfaction i have heard concerning Mod16 it is coming off as a panicky attempt to either win people back over or get the last drops out of an emptying bottle.

Like i really don't like mod16 ( At if you do, goo for you i don't care, it isn't relevant to the point i am about to make) but i am not ready to see the game go under, i was gonna give the Devs a few mods to see if they make something to my liking.

But all the sales. They are coming off as a sign of an approaching end.

am i being paranoid or does anyone feel the same?

i really hope i am overacting but i am worried.
Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.

Comments

• darkheart#6758 darkheart Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Agree with you on the sales. It seems like they are under-performing on sales and need to ahow an increase in sales.

Unfortunately I think this mod scared off a lot of people and those that have stayed, are deciding not to spend any real money because it seems like whatever you but gets made worthless shortly after purchasing it.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I don't feel the frequency is changed. Every week has something on sale for years. And these "sales" are not sales anyway.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    It could be they are trying to take advantage of the fact that players are currently in need of up grading many different things, and thus needing to buy more items. They are after all a business. Over all it seems the dissatisfaction has lessened from the start of mod 16.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    I looked at the Steam numbers today and they are down even with the summer jubilee taken into account. Grant you Steam numbers aren’t the best gage but just antidotally from what I am seeing- only one instance of legacy zones at a time, empty PE sometimes, can’t get into any random queue for a long time due to lack of players– there is no doubt that numbers are lower.

Sadly, because they have nerfed so many things (companions, mounts, etc) people have less incentive to buy them so, even with sales people are passing because it’s not just not worth it.

Plus as the dungeons are either broken or scaled to stoopid levels people who normally come to play those are passing as well.

And something I have noticed the game just seems unstable at the moment. So many things are broken or not working right. I have both a Legacy mount and Lego companion I can’t use because they are broke. It really sucks the fun out of having those things and it’s completely frustrating that the devs/support won’t even acknowledge these issues when I bring them up.

I have a bad feeling we are in the end of days for NW.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • jantogsf#0997 jantogsf Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    When you see legendary mounts offered for 200 Zen, then, and only then, will you know that the end is nigh!
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    All of the sales & events are standard. The only thing added new was a few VIP/flash sales which they started a while back - but I dont feel they are significant... just something new to encourage/reward VIP

Personally, I think they failed at their summer rewards. Only the $200 tier gives good rewards. The rest is pretty much junk. There should be a strong focus on rewarding players to spend "something" no matter how small.

As far as the numbers go.... any major change to playing experience of an older game usually results in a net player loss. Gains are remade slowly if the game is well-maintained and fixes its 'problems'. I don't have data to support this... just what I've seen in other MMOs.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    This cycle of sales is pretty standard for the time of year. As someone else pointed out, the targeted VIP sales are a new thing, but everything else looks like BAU for them.

The higher incidence of "special" sales just makes me think that they have a different marketing strategy than in years past. It's quite possible that they hired someone who looked at the data and realized that digital sales aren't entirely different from traditional sales in that consumers are attracted to discounts and tend to stay engaged more when the product selection shifts, even if the change is more in presentation than in substance.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    vorphied said:

This cycle of sales is pretty standard for the time of year. As someone else pointed out, the targeted VIP sales are a new thing, but everything else looks like BAU for them.

The higher incidence of "special" sales just makes me think that they have a different marketing strategy than in years past. It's quite possible that they hired someone who looked at the data and realized that digital sales aren't entirely different from traditional sales in that consumers are attracted to discounts and tend to stay engaged more when the product selection shifts, even if the change is more in presentation than in substance.

This actually makes me feel a little better.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • antok500#4237 antok500 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Yes there is a cycle of sales. That does not mean that the current level of activity is normal. Unless they have changed marketing strategy completely, shortfalls on cash flow are the most likely reason for being bombarded with sales. The problem with this type of approach is that it has diminishing returns if you are short of cash. Why buy at the sale if there is another one right on the back of it that might be even better. The sales are just as likely to defer purchases as advance them.

If they want to increase cashflow some more thought needs to be given to what they are selling as well as the the price. Much of what they have on offer has a pretty limited market at any price. More attractive items for sale would help, though if the attraction is usefulness then it would need to go along with some sort of guarantee of the period for which it would remain relevant. As a previous poster mentioned the market value of something that is useful for two mods is going to be higher than something that is made irrelevant after one mod or even nerfed mid mod.

A lack of trust about these issues again defers rather than advances spend.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    Check the original campaign zones. If those are empty, then you can worry, as it means there's no new 'meat' coming in the pipeline. I've been leveling a new cleric - so far every zone I've been too has been pretty busy.

Also, when I checked PE for alt instances yesterday there were 10 instances running that I could see, most at capacity. So -- not going out of business just yet.

• autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Well, here June's numbers for PSN Free Downloads and Steam Charts.

I was hoping the the NW would break the top ten dl's for PSN because so much of the push for M16 was to get new users and the summer event. But alas, no.

Xbox charts show NW at number 26 most played as well

Source: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/07/10/playstation-store-junes-top-downloads-4/?ref-tag=251446

And for Steam?

Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/109600

I have said before these sources may not be indicative overall, but they do have meaning.

Post edited by autumnwitch on
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @karvare said:
    > It could be they are trying to take advantage of the fact that players are currently in need of up grading many different things, and thus needing to buy more items. They are after all a business. Over all it seems the dissatisfaction has lessened from the start of mod 16.

Isn't that one of those v for vendetta things... where the people who offer the solution create the problem and then get promoted worshiped feared?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Check the original campaign zones. If those are empty, then you can worry, as it means there's no new 'meat' coming in the pipeline. I've been leveling a new cleric - so far every zone I've been too has been pretty busy.

Also, when I checked PE for alt instances yesterday there were 10 instances running that I could see, most at capacity. So -- not going out of business just yet.

Depends on what time zone you are in. I have been in a legacy campaign zone with 18 total people in that zone.

I would say activity has massively dropped since Mod 16 and I would say the company strategy on what it tries to make money from is seriously flawed. - i.e. they want us to pay money to gamble on Lock Boxes.

A better strategy would be to offer really useful stuff at a good honest price, whatever that means.

Best example I can think of is Companion Upgrade Tokens - sell them for cash, 100 tokens for $20? That should get people spending money again.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @callumf#9018 said:
    > Check the original campaign zones. If those are empty, then you can worry, as it means there's no new 'meat' coming in the pipeline. I've been leveling a new cleric - so far every zone I've been too has been pretty busy.
    >
    > Also, when I checked PE for alt instances yesterday there were 10 instances running that I could see, most at capacity. So -- not going out of business just yet.
    >
    >
    >
    > Depends on what time zone you are in. I have been in a legacy campaign zone with 18 total people in that zone.
    >
    > I would say activity has massively dropped since Mod 16 and I would say the company strategy on what it tries to make money from is seriously flawed. - i.e. they want us to pay money to gamble on Lock Boxes.
    >
    > A better strategy would be to offer really useful stuff at a good honest price, whatever that means.
    >
    > Best example I can think of is Companion Upgrade Tokens - sell them for cash, 100 tokens for $20? That should get people spending money again.

Hmm.. that's more expensive than converting zen to astral to upgrade
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!