test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please STOP with the Troll Gear!

mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
edited June 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
Gear that has negative stats, gear that takes away gold every time you die, and perhaps some others that I've not seen yet or realized. Has me a bit paranoid at times.

Please take that smirk off your faces! It's not funny or even logical to do this to your player base, Cryptic! Totally unnecessary to affect the player base as a joke! Let me give a bit of advice of honest feedback Cryptic. Mod 16 hasn't got the best of praise, but the player base is trying to manage in this game by how poor scaled everything is. Overall Mod 16 has gotten adjusted to be better over time. So I'm trying to be positive with Cryptic dealing with all the changes with Mod 16, but still don't make it worse with negative gear! I will tell Cryptic, we die at least once, twice, or more by deaths in lower level dungeons; I'm not kidding. Sometimes I survive and sometimes not-standing higher than 17K item level with a Rogue. Any player is at least going to be hit, especially with enemies that throw ranged damage at the player without red warning signals.

I'll be honest, I feel stupid. However, not really because it's totally unexpected getting cripple type gear in a game. This is the ONLY game I have experienced with negative stats or negative results! I'm fairly new to this game, since Mod 14, and I didn't expect anything like this! Especially some gear that takes away gold after every death! Gear that takes way gold after every death and a new player won't realize it. From a perspective, a player feels hacked or robbed in the game, which makes it worse for support to deal with because the player has no clue what's going on, until realization of a joke from the developers themselves. Imagine the nerve of nonsense and all that is received is anger towards the developers by the joke. So I made valid point to not even do this! It's not funny at all and rather pointless to create more problems! Personally by perspective from a player point of view, a player expects better stats with higher item level gear somewhere and not negative somewhere to cripple. So mostly likely that player won't look at those negative results at first. Yes some gear has different stats given, but never something that affects so much to cripple the player by -2000 off with other gear that is equipped by stats already. The thief gloves take away gold! I started to realize of losing that gold when I was using injury packs after death, during master expeditions fighting the boss lion griffin that literally poisons with one hit with dramatic health drain that eats you alive like a cobra bite; gosh he is hard. I lost so much gold with those thief gloves! However, I had to complete the master expedition. Afterwards, I had to sell so many refine point items, useless gear (lower item level), and even some invoke crown blessings to get back what I had as gold that I lost! Luckily I had enough seals to get 940 item level arm braces. So practically pushing nerves towards your player base having to deal with this! Even wasting astral diamonds for transmute. Almost want to use words that Cryptic doesn't want to see, but I'm better than that to respect. I'm not happy with this experience!

From a player perspective, it's really unexpected, rather cruel in a way, and I bet most players won't look closely, until realization. So please stop with this nonsense gear! It's making your player base really angry rather than laughs with you! It's ludicrous for any game to have this cripple or negative results type of gear! Appreciate it.
Post edited by mwk on

Comments

• mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited June 2019

i mean common-sense will tell you to read what stuff does. not to menton theres items meant to be sold/used for gold. selling RP or invoke blessings is on you. selling unwanted gear is common-sense.

From a perspective, a player feels hacked or robbed in the game, which makes it worse for support to deal with because that player has no clue what's going on, until realization of a joke from the developers themselves. That's my valid point. Really more common sense in mind from a player perspective, but keep in mind it's quite unexpected in a game to have gear like this with negative effects.

Never in my life have I seen a game that takes away gold, negative stats with other gear that is equipped by stats already, and who knows what else?! It's quite ludicrous and legit to make a statement. It's quite UNEXPECTED!
    Post edited by mwk on
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    It wouldn't be unexpected if you read the item descriptions
    Elite Whaleboy
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    mwk said:

Please take that smirk off your faces!

mwk said:

From a player perspective, it's really unexpected, rather cruel in a way, and I bet most players won't look closely, until realization.

mwk said:

Appreciate it.

va8Ru.gif
    edited June 2019
    wilbur626 said:

It wouldn't be unexpected if you read the item descriptions

Yes, but how to many times do I have to make the statement that it's unexpected only by the fact....

From a perspective, a player feels hacked or robbed in the game, which makes it worse for support to deal with because the player has no clue what's going on, until realization of a joke from the developers themselves. Imagine the nerve of nonsense and all that is received is anger towards the developers by the joke. So I made valid point to not even do this! It's not funny at all and rather pointless to create more problems! Personally by perspective from a player point of view, a player expects better stats with higher item level gear somewhere and not negative somewhere to cripple. So mostly likely that player won't look at those negative results at first just like any another game. Yes some gear has different stats given, but never something that affects so much to cripple the player by -2000 off with other gear that is equipped by stats already. (THATS MY KEY POINT AREA of argument). It's quite unexpected for a game to do this. It's really a great argument point from a player point of view that doesn't expect something like this and never thinks of it, just like any other MMO game. I hope were on the same page? Does anyone get what I'm implying here? This is first MMO game or even the first type of game that actually does something like this with joke gear, which is quite ludicrous!
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    I know of at least one other game franchise that offers gear that either has a negative effect or has a negative effect that comes with a positive effect. You trade one for the other.

I see in UnderMountain some of the purple gear you get in MEs takes away stats but adds them in another area. But because the IL is so high I think many people are using them. The stat thing sort of evens out in the end.

The items in NW that take gold or even health when you use them are pretty slimy in my opinion that being said, there are weapons in D&D (which what NW is based on) that also has these types of negative effects so I am not surprised to see them in the game.

Bottom line pay attention to whatever you get. Use the wiki if you are not sure.

Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Never played the original Diablo?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I think the original original text based hack had that too. How do you know your new gear is "better" than what you have if you don't read?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited June 2019
    I guess some games do have negative effects on gear. However, so far all the MMO games I've played never have. So do you expect someone to look for the unfortunate effects by wording? I don't waste my time reading all gear unless something sticks out to my eye by what I'm looking for. I'll be honest I do kinda look when applying new gear, so the -2000 critical avoidance gear for example I cautioned on the first time, which pops out more than just words. I questioned why Cryptic implemented negative effects with gear to be applied as taking away with other gear equipped already? However, the gear that takes away gold after death just have 3% more damage. Really I didn't read it, because it didn't stick out to me. Though I really will imply gear that takes away gold is quite absurd and unexpected to even notice in a game. Typically a player doesn't read every stat line that doesn't stick out or even at all. A player expects only better stats somewhere at least, not crippling outcomes. Perhaps the wording is the problem by not sticking out to the eye? Stating losing '-2 silver', rather than just words as a financial cost would be better. Stating numbers with words, the eye attracts to what is given by numbers comparing with other gear, which I read '3% damage increase' and my eyes missed 'at a financial cost' apparently. Just words can be missed at first and I don't expect it when no game ever have given me negative effects on gear. Still it's quite ludicrous to even have gear like this in a game! I'm sorry, but the obvious is not noticeable for a player at first and also can lead to a player becoming nerve angry with the developer's bad joke. Don't tell me you haven't experienced the same unfortunate with this game or another game and never expected it by the naked eye at first. Again, something is unexpected, a player doesn't expect usual gameplay with a game. I'm more of a MMO gamer and that's it. I just haven't experienced this before on any MMO except this one. Sure you lose stats applying new gear with different stats, but always better stats with new gear somewhere by stats given. However, taking away stats that is already applied with other gear, never in my life! Take away -2000 defense, when it's better to have the gear with negative effects off. Why laugh at me when I never expected such outcomes on gear or even in a MMO. All the MMOs I have played haven't done this ludicrous gear type of effects. I'm repeating this over and over with over elaboration. The notion of obvious is that I didn't expect by what doesn't pop out to my eye. I made quite the impression of arguments against this and I'm implying gear like this needs to be removed! I don't think just for myself and I inspected someone else wanting to tell them, but became too late. The player signed off before I could send a tell message to inform them. I had the feeling like don't make the same mistake I did. Personally I think it's unnecessary to have gear like this, because it's presented in a bad way later towards the developers by a bad joke given in game. The game is supposed to be wacky humor, but never for gear; that's crazy negative effects! I understand good stats and some wacky presentation by description like baby booties being altered to be more like destruction of appearance of demon or something; Grakuks booties(I don't care how spelled it) for example. I certainly don't want this type of approach in gaming with negative effects on gear and the real incompetence is that Cryptic is making themselves seem like bad jokers to make players turn away from them, even though it's not the intention of mind. Making a game, developers have to stop and think about the players. Personally I see in the game industry, it's rather lacking by thinking about the customer.This game is bad enough already and I admit I adjusted by all that I can do. Please from an adult point of view I think for you (everyone) and that's what I stand for! Please understand my valid arguments why I'm writing this thread. Take the time and understand the point of view of arguments before posting. Does anyone understand why I make the statement 'UNEXPECTED' in a game?
  • feuerwolf#3519 feuerwolf Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Please read the descriptions. Read for gawds sake, read. And suddenly all will be good. :D
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    The only questionable gear are the Thieves and Cambist's gloves. How much gold do they steal?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    are we forgetting about the weapon set that randomly turned you into a chicken that the devs thought was funny for pvp / pve
    an easter egg they called it ..something about doing a "foul" thing and a player needs to "recoup" as in chicken coup

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1229946/got-turned-into-a-chicken-in-pvp

chaidrin Cryptic Developer

"I have been asked to confess my fowl, fowl sins. This is not a bug, but an easter egg of the the Mirage Weapon set. When you have the Mirage Weapon set, there is a small chance that when you are very low on health and use an encounter power, that you will be turned into a chicken with increased speed and increased defense.

With how low your health needs to be to be to trigger it, it's a chance to turn tail and flee. Though you may be called chicken for this strategy, this can give you much needed reprieve, and a chance to re-coop."

nitocris83 said ....

"I believe the thought was that the chances of it happening were so slim that it didn't feel it would be a larger disruption. That being said, I did ask a Dev to come in and explain the situation since I did feel it warranted an official statement because I get how it could be disruptive to some."

edited June 2019
    @mwk
    you should try putting this dungeons and dragon item on instead lol it will help you with this thread ...

Hat of Stupidity: This hat is indistinguishable from any other magical hat, even when most carefully detected by magical means. Only by placing it upon the head can its powers be determined. Of course, once on the head, the wearer will believe that the hat is a beneficial item, for he will be overcome by stupidity. Intelligence is lowered to 7, or by -1 if the wearer has a 7 or lower Intelligence normally. The wearer will always desire to have the hat on—especially when he is engaged in any activity which requires thinking, spellcasting, etc. Without the benefit of a remove curse spell or similar magic, the wearer will never be free from the magic of the hat. If released, the wearer's Intelligence returns to its normal level.
    edited June 2019
    Useless magical/enchanted items that do stupid things

The Old Crazy Enchanter

An old elf who is around 800 years old. Who is 5 feet tall and instead of wearing robes and a hat, wears a blanket draped around him to "Keep myself warm". Running a store called enchants and things, walking into the shop you can see many different things scattered about shelves and his counter which is full of random papers sprawled with nonsense, and shelves filled with half a dozen rocks, his apprentice a young human male of about 17 years old is behind the counter reading up on books to become an enchanter as well, the old elf also uses these as test subjects for all the new things he creates. He has no name, and whenever is asked about it he immedietly changes the subject or just continues on with the conversation as if the question had never been asked, he also doesn't refer to himself as anything and when confronted or asked about this he does the same thing as with his name. He holds a variety of old items that he enchanted, all of which are seemingly useless, things such as a sword that can only cut fruits, a cape than when worn makes you look at everything in a positive way, no matter what it is, or a ring that when put on will turn the wearer and anything they have into a single rock until it is taken off, though there is no way to take the ring off again, which results in the wearer becoming a rock endlessly, explaining all the rocks behind his counter on the shelf.

He talks in a kind of uppity way, and thinks that all of his inventions are good ideas, mostly messing around and taking no thoughts of consequenses from the things he makes. Nobody seems to have any idea as to how he stayed in business after so many years with all of his things being seemingly useless, unknown to any but a few, he gets most of his money from a job that he absolutely hates because he has no control over what he does, and that is enchanting high level items for wealthy mercenaries, theives, and any others who have enough money. He doesn't do this often however, and only when he is in dire need of cash to continue making his trinkets.

Some of his wares.

Sword that has the ability to cut only fruits

Wizard hat that makes you bald while wearing it

Cloak that makes you invisible when nobody is looking at you

A ring that gives you the ability to teleport to your current location

A pair of earings that allows you to hear through your left ear as if it were your right ear

A bow that when you shoot it, the arrow returns immediately to your quiver (or whatever you use) A ball that only bounces half the time that you throw it.

Things kind of like this, which are seemingly useless, but some might have some interesting quirks and usefulness when used in certain situations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2qiwac/useless_magicalenchanted_items_that_do_stupid/
    edited June 2019
    You know I'm gonna ignore every single comment mostly. At least I know that this game has negative effects, which I never experienced before in any game that I've played. It's up to the developers to remove the jokes. Why even bother with those negative gear when there are far better drops as comparison? I made my valid arguments. I was aware of negative stats, but I missed the gear of the gold financial cost apparently. That gold cost gear really crossed the line of nerve, when I least expected! Really ludicrous enough to be angry. Don't ever convince me when I see far better gear! kalina311-I understand with the chicken. Low on health and a chicken run to give time to gain some health back. That's fine. What's not fine is -2000 defense or -2000 critical avoidance taken away. Let's give an example. 54000 with no gloves and with the negative stats it gives 52000. Basically any stat is important to have, just not negative ones. Jokes on the players.
    Post edited by mwk on
    edited June 2019
    Helmet of the cowardly. Does it make me a coward? No and there is no negative stats. It doesn't do anything harmful. Soon enough there is going to be nonsense made up. I don't care! It would be great to have great stats by transmute name change which will change the negative stats to positive. Or x2 negative gear will change the negatives to equal a positive. Ha ha ha NO! Doesn't work like that.
  • krymkackrymkac Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Cursed items always have been a thing in D&D. Be thankful you dont need remove curse spell to unequip their equivalents in this game. Greedy foolish adventurers who are too quick to grab & equip anything shinny without inspeacting it first (aka reading the description) do deserve to be punished. Not like anyone puts a sword to your throat & forces you to use such items. Plenty of other gear to go around. And some "cursed" stuff actually is useful. Love my -2500 deffence +1500 power armour hehe. Honestly complaining about that is like whining about mimics. "How dare they disguise themselves as treasure chests?!".
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    This post reminds me about the players who complained they "accidentally" flushed and artifact or other really good piece of gear because they clicked on something (like the "Convert All" button) without taking the time to read what it said first.

After a couple of unfortunate experiences many players 'learned' the errors of their ways, particularly after it was repeatedly pointed out the fault was with the player and not anything having to do with the game or game design...

That this game seems to have been mostly devoid of things like this until recently is something we should all be thankful for - that it appears there may me more instances of "cursed" items appearing is something we should all be aware of - along with the fact that if a player neglects to read what will happen if they click on something, that's on them.
    DD~
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Negative effects on items is a common practise in many games, if you have not experienced it before, you simply have not played many games. Whilst I don't think they are done particularly well in Neverwinter, I don't dislike the idea, only the current implementation.

Some Examples:
    1) Path of Exile

"Skills deal 400% of their mana cost to you as damage."
    "15% reduced cast speed."

2) Baldur's Gate:
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/The_Claw_of_Kazgaroth

I can give examples from more games if necessary, its really not hard.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User

I can give examples from more games if necessary, its really not hard.

va8Ru.gif
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I take off all my armor once I am inside the dungeon. Slip into a fashion costume to looking totally awesome. Then when I keep getting murdered by the mobs, I turn to the healer and shout, "Will you start doing your fricken job! I am dying over here!!" LOL

Fun times.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • cheerz4beerzcheerz4beerz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    > @mwk said:
    > You know I'm gonna ignore every single comment mostly. At least I know that this game has negative effects, which I never experienced before in any game that I've played. It's up to the developers to remove the jokes. Why even bother with those negative gear when there are far better drops as comparison? I made my valid arguments. I was aware of negative stats, but I missed the gear of the gold financial cost apparently. That gold cost gear really crossed the line of nerve, when I least expected! Really ludicrous enough to be angry. Don't ever convince me when I see far better gear! kalina311-I understand with the chicken. Low on health and a chicken run to give time to gain some health back. That's fine. What's not fine is -2000 defense or -2000 critical avoidance taken away. Let's give an example. 54000 with no gloves and with the negative stats it gives 52000. Basically any stat is important to have, just not negative ones. Jokes on the players.

You ignore the fact that the gear with negative stats give a massive amount of a different stat to compensate. Example 2500 armor pen for a loss of a defensive stat. Its up to you to weigh the cost and see if it works for you. Gear like that is a nice way to dump some stats you might need less of for one you deem more important.

The gloves that do extra damage for a gold cost are a decent flavor item. If you broke your bank using them thats on you. Lrn2read as they say.

I wonder if those gloves still do extra damage if you dont have gold to pay the cost? If so you could transfer your gold to an alt and get the benefits without the downside.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    If you're not reading tooltips enough to know the negative effects what are you paying attention to? The item level it gives?