test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this kind of damage really intended? (Watcher Bosses)

kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
OK, so I understand the watcher bosses are supposed to be a challenge, but are they really intended to do damage in the millions (or even half a million)?

I took these hits fighting one earlier this evening:

[Combat (Self)] Ryf, Lady of Sorrow deals 114631 (1124763) Physical Damage to you with Sorrowful Slam.
[Combat (Self)] Ryf, Lady of Sorrow deals 424716 (1176402) Physical Damage to you with Sorrowful Slam.
[Combat (Self)] Ryf, Lady of Sorrow deals 152639 (588652) Physical Damage to you with Drag.
[Combat (Self)] Ryf, Lady of Sorrow deals 122515 (472478) Physical Damage to you with Sorrowful Sweep.

Even the more normal "Bite" attacks were for more than most characters have in HP:

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Ryf, Lady of Sorrow deals 56115 (303471) Physical Damage to you with Bite.
[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Ryf, Lady of Sorrow deals 109116 (300495) Physical Damage to you with Bite.

In the end, we did manage to kill it after an awful lot of healing and not a few revives .... but those are Mod 15 level hits ....
PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader

Comments

• cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    There is a mechanic for the sorrow boss and it is working as I think it should be intended. The Sword part is the one that is doing those huge hits. The boss bite attack has an animation before hand that should be your queue to run away from it. The sword follows the healer in the fight and telegraphs its hits. The sword mechanic is to dodge the attacks of the sword while the rest of the party deals with the wolf.

The only boss that is broken is the despair boss since the part that you need to cleanse off of a player isn't fair. This requires one class to be in the party to do this boss. All other classes don't have the correct setup or there cleanse isn't as good as the clerics. If you have a warlock healer and they continue to get the part that needs cleansed off them to do the correct damage that is a bad thing since their cleanse doesn't work on themselves. Also, the time you can do damage to the boss is too small of a time period and needs to be in the 20-30 second range instead of 5 seconds.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User

There is a mechanic for the sorrow boss and it is working as I think it should be intended. The Sword part is the one that is doing those huge hits. The boss bite attack has an animation before hand that should be your queue to run away from it. The sword follows the healer in the fight and telegraphs its hits. The sword mechanic is to dodge the attacks of the sword while the rest of the party deals with the wolf.

The sword hit everyone and their mother, is not focused on healer. It doesn't hit the one that has aggro, it just seem random. It's easy to dodge it, but not when it comes to Barbarians with the limited stamina. You can run away from one hit, two hits, but if the sword continues to follow you you're almost doomed since the stamina doesn't regenerate.
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    You can dodge it with any class since the wind up to the attack is approximately 4 seconds long and the area of effect is small. The person who gets the swords aggro needs to disengage from the fight. Eventually, it will run over to the person doing the healing. If you don't have a healer in the party it will randomly choose a target and this is where everyone in the party must be aware of the fight since if it runs over to them they need to disengage from the fight and run from the sword.

I have done the sorrow boss 7 times successfully and most as either a barbarian or as a cleric. As the cleric I have always been targeted by the sword except with the possible period at the start of the fight. What I do as the cleric is run away from the party but close enough to give out heals. I then pick two spots that are decent distance apart and I will run back and forth between them. When the sword stops tracking me that means I run to the other spot as it is winding up it's attack. Rinse and repeat. I can usually get 1 heal in when I am at the new spot. This means that the attackers are on an island with the wolf. The attacks of the wolf are slow and deliberate. If the DPS has aggro or gets aggro they need to run from the wolf as the attack after the howl hits hard and probably will one shot all but the tank that is blocking.

FYI, I have yet to get any of the watcher items after successfully completing 10 of the hunts to date. The drop rate on the weapons is abysmal as it drops randomly but it seems that it is for other people in the party. Three people in my party have gotten multiple drops of the watcher items and I have yet to sniff even one of them for any class (party leader doesn't always get it either). This needs to change in the future in my opinion because it kills the fun of the attempt. Everyone in the party should get 1 of the weapons and not just some random person get it. I would even suggest that the weapon should be of the class you took into the fight. This should especially be the case since I haven't see a shade in the last 40 or so runs through with 3 runes.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k