test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ice Knife doing low damage

texerrettexerret Member Posts: 22 Arc User
So i've been wondering why a 1400 magnitude daily does so little damage. And i went to the target dummies.
Just to get 150k-180k non crit ice knife with 140k power
And 460k average crit with the same amounts.

For the context i have a 22,206 wizard with 140k power and capped stats (77k arpen, 89k crit, 69k accuracy,)

Comments

• darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    With your stats seems that is working as intended. Everyone doing similar numbers. You can use equip with "3% more dmg with dailies" if you want.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    As a Cleric with similar magnitude daily and 132k power, that is comparable.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    texerret said:

So i've been wondering why a 1400 magnitude daily does so little damage. And i went to the target dummies.

Just to get 150k-180k non crit ice knife with 140k power

And 460k average crit with the same amounts.

For the context i have a 22,206 wizard with 140k power and capped stats (77k arpen, 89k crit, 69k accuracy,)

Today I got my hardest hitting Ice Knife to date. I have around 130K power. It hit for 650K damage. Prior to that my hardest hitting Ice Knife was 500K. Ice Knife can hit hard you just need to get all the right buff. For instance I had 10% bonus from my decanter, I got CA, etc...

Other than that my average damage with encounters is around 50K, at wills is around 7k, and ice knife daily is around 400-500K.
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Try again with summoned companion or mate to get combat advantage, use debuff mounts and dps artifacts and you will see numbers close to 1M

Try again with summoned companion or mate to get combat advantage, use debuff mounts and dps artifacts and you will see numbers close to 1M

Highest damage I have seen is with Ice Knife and that was a bit less than 1M; around 890K. I only have around 140K power ATM. If I had 200K I believe 1M is possible but I'm not going all rads as my gut tells me if I do I will get screwed. Just have this feeling given how things change with each mod and I'm more than capable to play as a dd with my current setup.

I have to say that I find the mountaineer orb better than the other orbs as I can almost always get 5% bonus power by positioning myself.
  • texerrettexerret Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    this seems to be so inconsistent. today i was doing a lomm with some dudes. and i critted ice knife (380k) and then critted repel (200k) lets say that the damage was doubled but if you double the magnitude of repel you get 950magnitud and ice knife has 1400mag. so numbers still dont add up.
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    It seems to do more damage the more damaged/hurt the target is. So, if you wait until the baddie is down a bit health wise then use it.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User

It seems to do more damage the more damaged/hurt the target is. So, if you wait until the baddie is down a bit health wise then use it.

No, there's nothing about Ice Knife that suggests that it intrinsically works this way.

Demon Lords' Immortality set, for example, grants this kind of bonus, but Ice Knife does not have this feature on its own unless there was unintended or unannounced change.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    vorphied said:

No, there's nothing about Ice Knife that suggests that it intrinsically works this way.

Demon Lords' Immortality set, for example, grants this kind of bonus, but Ice Knife does not have this feature on its own unless there was unintended or unannounced change.
    I'm just telling you what happens for me. If I hit any boss or lt. with it was my first attack it does very little damage. When I wait for them to lose health it does massive damage. IDK what else to tell you. I run a wizard as my main (22k IL) and it happens every time.

I just assumed it was some type of defence buff the bosses have. But since its so predictable now that's the only way I use it.

EDIT: I will log at the combat logs today when I use it and see what it says.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    texerret said:

this seems to be so inconsistent. today i was doing a lomm with some dudes. and i critted ice knife (380k) and then critted repel (200k) lets say that the damage was doubled but if you double the magnitude of repel you get 950magnitud and ice knife has 1400mag. so numbers still dont add up.

Are your ice knife and repel damage done on the same type of target? Could be caused by the difference of enemy stat if the damage is done on different type of mob. Or CA if its positioning.
  • casewoodshadowcasewoodshadow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User

vorphied said:

I'm just telling you what happens for me. If I hit any boss or lt. with it was my first attack it does very little damage. When I wait for them to lose health it does massive damage. IDK what else to tell you. I run a wizard as my main (22k IL) and it happens every time.

I just assumed it was some type of defence buff the bosses have. But since its so predictable now that's the only way I use it.

EDIT: I will log at the combat logs today when I use it and see what it says.
    In addition to the damage bonus from the Demon Lord's artifact set, the Tiefling race gives you a damage bonus when the target is below 50% as well
  • mongol69mongol69 Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Iceknife and most other classes daily outperforms warlocks dailys, even clerics aoe flamestrike. Seriously, killing flames, disintegrate and many other encounters hit harder.
    I started playing my Fighter and Cleric to see where each class is damage wise.

I like where my wizard is at; decent damage and overall I tend to be top DD vs. other players who have 25K or more power than I do. With that said, my highest damage from Ice Knife to date has been for 875K. I am happy with that number.

Now onto my fighter; she hits harder with her at wills and encounters when you have all the proper buffs setup and ready; however, both are slower so the overall damage tends to be lower and that can be all do to lower power. If I had more power for my fighter I believe he would be a bit closer in overall damage to my wizard, not as good but closer.

As for my Cleric, I completely blown away with how hard I am hitting. My highest hit to date has been over 2M by FF. Like the figther, unlike the wizard, timing with buffs is needed to get the big hits off. I am now getting her rotation down to the point where her average single target hit is around 300-500K from FF and when everything is lined up just right I'm hitting for around 700K-1M+ with FF.

I wasn't planning on playing any one other than my wizard but I got bored just playing one character and the rest is history.
    mongol69 said:

Iceknife and most other classes daily outperforms warlocks dailys, even clerics aoe flamestrike. Seriously, killing flames, disintegrate and many other encounters hit harder.

Disintegrate only works really well when the enemy health is really low otherwise it hits like a wet noodle.

Ice Knife hits really hard but I only use that on bosses without adds, otherwise I am using immolation to pull all the adds together to quickly kill them off. I may use an Ice Knife during the first boss in LoMM to help out the tank and healer with their mimic if needed.

Ice Knife is worth using still and still better than the other dailies.
  • mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I usually hit for a 1mil+ on my IK
    edited August 2019
    texerret said:

I'm curious about your gear and the actual health you had vs. the enemy do to the gear you may have...

Hag rags, eye stalk wraps, and ebony raid ring all provide the sniper perk which boost the damage of ice knife. You can have up to two of this buff. Do you have two from this buff?

Are you using the terror grips?

Do you have the demon lord set?

What was your health % vs. the enemies health % when you used Ice Knife vs. when you used repel?

Taking all of these into consideration we can get a better understanding of why Ice Knife hit for low dmg vs repel dmg.

As for Ice Knife I got one now to hit for 1.3M. My hardest yet.

The thing is though my cleric FF is hitting that hard when I have 6 pips and have divinity at half full which I can typically maintain and it makes me wonder if the wizard is just currently over rated do to how easy the class is now to produce good damage.
    Post edited by mebengalsfan#9264 on
  • banscheee#0895 banscheee Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I do agree with the OP that Ice Knife seems very inconsistent on damage. To date, with the same stats, both with combat advantage behind the target boss in LOMM, My lowest non critical hit was 429,654, while my highest hitting critical hit on the same boss was 2,992,758. Every once in a while they just don't seem to have the oomph that they should.

Buffed Stats:
    Power: 204,914
    Crit, AP, Accuracy: capped
    CA: 120,201
    Crit Severity: 142.5% (192.5% with Vorpal)
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Damage buffs and debuffs that aren't on 100% will affect your damage. When you get those 3mil crits, what is happening with regards to the group? Were there several artifact debuffs/ group buffs up, or leg mount debuffs? Unless you are getting these 3mil crits on dummies or while soloing, we don't have the full picture. All these things add up and drastically affect your damage, and it's good to learn when the opportune time is to use your daily.
  • banscheee#0895 banscheee Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I know that there is much more that could have gone into this post, however, Im not into writing novels. Long story short, both the non-crit and crit hits were with the same group, on the same boss, with all debuffs out that we normally run. Group comp was Cleric, Pally, 2 wizards, 1 barb. As far as i know, the debuffs that were used during both occurrences were, staff of flowers with set, wyvern knives, soul sights, 5 rex's, Ray of Enfeeblement. There are even times where Ice Knife wont even register as a hit, literally doing no damage. Im not saying this stuff happens all the time, but something seems wonky with IK. Thats all.

I know that there is much more that could have gone into this post, however, Im not into writing novels. Long story short, both the non-crit and crit hits were with the same group, on the same boss, with all debuffs out that we normally run. Group comp was Cleric, Pally, 2 wizards, 1 barb. As far as i know, the debuffs that were used during both occurrences were, staff of flowers with set, wyvern knives, soul sights, 5 rex's, Ray of Enfeeblement. There are even times where Ice Knife wont even register as a hit, literally doing no damage. Im not saying this stuff happens all the time, but something seems wonky with IK. Thats all.

Even with the dummies in the stronghold different classes with less damage and slightly less magnitude do more raw damage(mowdown without feat and paladin daliy that i cant remeber name of) than ice knife with the stats described above... (140k power 1400mag)
    edited September 2019
    Did LoMM...

Three T-rex debuffs, legendary mount bat swarm buff, decanter 10x buff, I'm at full health and boss at half health for orcus set, full stamina for enduring boots, running hag rags and eye stalk wraps for 2 sniper perk, within 25' to get the bonus from the +5 and +4 grave striker, using the proege head piece for another +5%, RoE buff, max chilli stack buffs, over 210k power and my ice knife did a whomping 250K damage.

Than same boss with less buffs my ice knife did 1.1M damage.

Ice Knife is definitely acting wonky from my experience. There are times it hits for 500-1M+ and other times it is barely breaking 200K in damage.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    Running on my alt CW, there seem to be other power that do bug too, not sure 100% . I recognized that Desintergate seems to deal very low damage time to time even stats are correct. Hard to tell what happened
    edited October 2019
    OK imma be clear cuz apparently not mentioning certain stuff oppens if for you to outthink what i'm saying
    with 140k power and full arpem ICEKNIFE does inconsistent damage sometimes low sometimes high .. crit or not crit.

Not mentioning buffs cuz some cant be replied with other class (or alts in this particular case cuz not all my alts have the same amount of stuff no) that's whay i'm just menitioning caps on power/arpen/accuracy whitout mentioning CA cuz im not using CA
  • maruda#1373 maruda Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Currently CW has very slow skills, area ones have very low damage and are extremely slow. My cw has 205k power TR has 120k and both characters do similar dmg.
  • co2#1085 co2 Member Posts: 22 Arc User

My impression is that IceKnife (like many dailys of the different classes) have always CA/Flank set ...