test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Future Class Feat Updates - Concerns

mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
edited June 2019 in PvE Discussion
"In regards to feats enhancing specific powers vs. providing general generic bonuses: I've addressed this a bit in the past, but it was a goal with the changes to feats that there are less feats that are passively occurring on activation of all powers. This is both to improve server performance and increase readability in combat, by not having a myriad of effects occurring passively. We also wanted the feats to more strongly change the playstyle of each class, so that players who chose one feat over another might consider using a different loadout of powers. We understand that there are some feats that players may feel are not as strong as the alternate choice; however, and that is something we are gathering data on. We will continue to make changes to classes in the future. We'd like to let the dust settle first, but then, if there are feats that aren't strong enough, or aren't being used, we may enhance or completely overhaul those feats."

This is the reddit post from NWAsterdahlDev from yesterday.

The very last sentence is concerning as when that is typically done that modify feat becomes to strong and the prior selected feat becomes weak making players select the new or update feat. The problem I see is that even with the class becoming less complex it is hard to balance a class out properly as there are many factors that impact what feat we select as players.

Looking at the wizard you can go with one that reduces your cooldowns or one that increases your action points. Given how long cool downs are for encounters and the low damage a daily does compared to having encounters faster it makes the action point gain feat worthless. Now maybe if action points were given at a slight higher rate it may balance each other out put given how both feats were designed along with the removal of recovery for cool down and action points made selecting the feat for lower cool downs easier.

Now given what was said by the devs we may see changes to the Action Point feat in the future or maybe a change to the feat that lowers the cooldown for encounters. Either way some type of an adjustment will happen and whatever that is, more than likely players will swap to the other feat as the devs tend to over compensate when they make this type of change.

I don't like seeing those words written. I have seen to many good things get ruined by doing exactly what was mentioned. It ruins game play and some time it makes the class even worst to play.

I personally rather see us have access to all prior feats and we as the player can select whatever feat we want vs. being limited between 2 feats each time.

The first time we select a feat yes, allow us to pick between the 2 that are first offer. The second time, instead of just two feats, we now have 3 feats to pick from; etc... this way instead of just have 1 of 2 to select each time, it is 1 of 2, 1 of 3, 1 of 4, etc... this would give us as player a bit more complexity back into our characters. Who knows, maybe some of those unused feats will get used. But since will add complexity and make it harder to balance I know this won't happen.

With all of this said, if you do make changes, make them based on solid data. Than test out the changes and use that data to ensure it is balanced and also actually working as intended.

Comments

• cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    There are two things I'd like to see when it comes to feats:
    1. No feats that tie two powers together. That almost always uses up 2 of 3 encounter slots. Feats should only tie to one power - not rely on another power to trigger an affect.
    2. A third, generic option, even if it's just a simple stat boost (maybe some of the secondary stats, like incoming / outgoing healing, control bonus/resist). Not terribly powerful, but if you don't use the powers of your other options, at least you feel like you got *something* out of the deal.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

There are two things I'd like to see when it comes to feats:
    1. No feats that tie two powers together. That almost always uses up 2 of 3 encounter slots. Feats should only tie to one power - not rely on another power to trigger an affect.
    2. A third, generic option, even if it's just a simple stat boost (maybe some of the secondary stats, like incoming / outgoing healing, control bonus/resist). Not terribly powerful, but if you don't use the powers of your other options, at least you feel like you got *something* out of the deal.

1) They did that on purpose and will probably not change it as they don't want feats to be not tied to anything. In there opinion they feel tying a feat to an encounter power it makes it more meaningful and also has a lower impact to the system performance.

2) Probably not going to happen as they seem so concern around system performance and not making anything generic. They want to make it so things are unique.

The reality is this game has gone from having options to being very limited. The development team is really not in tune with its player base. I'm concern that mod 17 may result in further character restriction than complexity resulting in more players leaving.

• rafamarques#5700 rafamarques Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    ... long story short; instead to rework the feats system, they shoud reworked the power ranks system.

well... we have 10 encounters and 10 feats.