test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Holy Trinity

zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
edited June 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
My new main is a Paladin, but I have a serious issue with the often-touted "Holy Trinity"... DPS + Tank + Healer.

My problem is with the "Tank" concept itself. In real life, a Highly armored low-DPS combatant would be ignored and saved for last. In MMOs the enemies swarm to the tank. It's stupid and does not make sense. Although it creates the Holy Trinity strategy, I think it would make more sense to have flexible strategies. There are a lot of problems arising from the Tanking concept in Neverwinter. Constant debates over how much DPS they should have, problems with 'aggro-pulling' & 'threat generation', problems with assumption of roles, problems with how in the fantasy campaign monsters stick to tanks like magnets... yet in PvP the Tank is avoided like the plague. I think its time that the concept of 'Tanking' be re-invented.

Comments

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I attack the healer/monks/clerics first. I then go for the biggest to the smallest in almost every game I play. I have done this since I was table top playing back in the mid to late 80s. But my "game" isn't about combat as I like to puzzle over strategy. They made this too simplistic for me. It has become too much of a child arcade game and less about thinking. The last game that had the strategy and made you try a hundred different builds was the original Guild Wars. The combat model was not just your build but who was with you as well. I had a lot of fun with the builds on that one, also you were not charged a fee to rebuild between matches.

As for what I have observed in the game. Thornspur today was literally chasing the clerics around Yester Hill. I was having a hard time just keeping up. If they keep that up, we need the Benny Hill saxophone music playing in the background. The NPC needs work, I am pretty sure I speak for more than myself, it needs better battle smarts. The robots just run at me and use stun attacks too much. They added a stun attack to the Barovian scarecrows, it is too simple to avoid it. No one want more knock downs, and there is a lack of good strategy in the game for me to enjoy combat to any degree.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Go for the summoners first, like the Gravemasters, to limit the number you have to wade through.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • cheerz4beerzcheerz4beerz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Tanks have taunts. I do agree that it doesnt make sense for enemies to attack the most heavily armored character but they are simple creatures that can't handle a good ripping.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    My understanding from playing D&D for many years way back when, is that the tank[s] stand in front and protect the weaker squishy mages [for example] while the thieves/rogues/assassins sneak around to stab the baddies in the back. The healer [cleric] stands behind and close to the tanks to keep them healed.

That's how we played D&D.

That's kind of how I would like to see Neverwinter work :)
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Wait you are complaining that tanks don't work like you would do things in RL?

Really?

I think you are playing the wrong game.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • zhili666zhili666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    Tanks hold aggro just fine as long as they use the right encounters and at wills. Only time they can't get aggro back easily is if they die part way through a fight.
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User

I agree. Tanks are not needed to hold aggro (they can't anyway). Paladin is ranged dps now. Just make everyone dps and let them choose healing powers or aggro or dps powers.

I am pretty sure you have grouped with a wrong tank..
    I challenge you to group up with me sometime..
    Honestly, I am a tank who doesnt need a healer..

Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    > @finmakin said:
    > I agree. Tanks are not needed to hold aggro (they can't anyway). Paladin is ranged dps now. Just make everyone dps and let them choose healing powers or aggro or dps powers.
    >
    > I am pretty sure you have grouped with a wrong tank..
    > I challenge you to group up with me sometime..
    > Honestly, I am a tank who doesnt need a healer..

How would you survive lotmm mechanics? 😆