test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The really nice thing about clerics in Mod 16

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
I have been quite critical of some of the changes made to clerics in Mod 16, but there is one thing that is actually pretty nice:

Previously a DO/DPS build for solo play required quite different stats than an AC/Powershare build for group play. In effect, many DCs wanted to have two separate sets of gears and enchants - usually a high-crit/high-arpen build for solo play and a high-power build for powersharing. The stats differed, as did the "optimal" weapon enchants.

(yes, yes, I know you could use the AC build for solo play as well, but it was not quite optimal).

The point is - there is no big need for different stats in Mod 16. Power and Crit is useful for any build. Sure, a Devout heal-focused build has less need for ArPen, and could put those points into Power, but that's about it.

No need to carry around two sets of weapons or two sets of armors - just get one good set and use that everywhere.
Hoping for improvements...

Comments

• senordoeboysenordoeboy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Oh goody, I get to be a 4th rate DPS and a health stone
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    We can consistently top Paingiver, and our heals are in demand because of the Cleanse.... not a bad deal, really...
  • casewoodshadowcasewoodshadow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

We can consistently top Paingiver, and our heals are in demand because of the Cleanse.... not a bad deal, really...

but in what content? I've only run ACT a few times in Mod 16 and I've seen clerics beat traditional dps classes in ME's thanks to good burst damage, many mobs, and time to build back up divinity in between mobs but I haven't seen that to be the case at all in Lair of the Mad Mage. Have you (as a dps cleric) finished a LOMM run as paingiver or even close to it? If so, please share some tips with us as I'd happily respec to get more damage from my dps cleric loadout.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    I've only completed LoMM a couple times, but was definitely competitive in my DPS (though not tops, because the barbarian at the top is both geared to the teeth, and a really good player). I plan on running it fairly often this weekend, though - papa needs some new undies! - so I'll try and remember to grab some screen shots of the paingiver charts.

The simple fact that we can handle our own corner in the Arcturia fight, though, means we can hold our own as DPS.

As for tips - it's all about resource management, really. Keeping pips handy for big hits when needed, and knowing when to use them. Little things like fill your pips, drop the Hammer daily, then use the Envenomed Journal to get those AP back (or 30% now). Rotating between casting Geas / restoring divinity so you have divinity throughout the fight. Even something like throwing a couple extra lances to hopefully trigger the auto-crit on Javelins.

I usually open combat (boss fight) something like this:
    1x Lance of Faith
    Divine Glow
    Hammer daily
    Journal
    TAB, 6xLances
    2 Conflagaration
    BtS / Geas (depends on the boss, really)
    Repeat, but when you get to recasting BtS / Geas, hit Tab instead. Work in mount powers / trinkets (doohickey / owlbear) as needed. Use Divine Glow as needed either as an emergency fill on divinity, or to be your personal Sudden Verdict.

For trash, 4-6 lances, Javelins, 2x conflag, Geas, repeat with every geas being a TAB instead for the divinity gain.

You should also get used to closing out trash fights early with javelins - if you can guesstimate when a group of mobs are low enough that you don't need / want 6 pips on your javelin to kill them. Alternatively, you can cast a couple of Conflagarations so that you have full pips as the fight ends (for max divinity regen).
  • illhoraillhora Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    i am playing mainly my DC as DPS. No secret the gameplay of the heal path is very meh...

i have finished twice LOMM as paingiver, but doesnt mean anything.
    However i feel that we are outdpsing barbares at same GS. again it doesnt mean anything
    the "cleanest run" i had was with 3 brb / OP / DC (myself)
    all were hugging Bosses, easy to heal, easy to manage the aggro and the CA ...

We are doing very well with AOE, but rotation on single target is tricky and slow.
    Its important to fire FF with CA, fully buffed and hope for a crit.
    (still working on this part of my build, feel there is space for improvement)

Crit is acting strangely on FF, very low % - i am guessing the high crit from javelin (about +70% w/feat ) is downrating the crit % from FF to balande the overall...(even stranger the crit rate from FF casted with CA and without is significantly different...)

if FF could be casted much more often, DC will be on the paingiver top 2. It can crit above 1M with 2 sec CD....
    so i don't think divinity managment is to be changed.

DC's are in high demand for the heal, but we have a nice role to play as DPS :)

Post edited by illhora on
    Cdnbison, I agree that dps DC's can do well and certainly clear mimics. It was the comment that a DC can "consistently top paingiver" that I hadn't seen in my own experiences. I appreciate your input on your rotations and how and when you use them.
    I tend to use searing javelin, FF and Divine Glow for trash and BTS/Geas, FF and Divine Glow for single target. It is a joy to one shot a mimic with a fully charged FF :smile:
    I have also enjoyed my DC as a healer more since I boosted my outgoing healing %. Larger heals (or healing tics from Healing Word) = not casting as often so divinity lasts longer. It was also a nice bonus that we got a boost to our divinity recovery in the last patch.
    edited June 2019
    about rotation, why using divine glow ?
    The CD is crazy, making it not reliable to do more DPS (my opinon)
    Both BtS and Geas trig the class feature Doomsday giving 10% more dmg
    the feat is active for 10 Sec, so by balancing cast on Bts and Geas the feat be 100% uptime.
    My DPS encounters are Jav/FF + geas + BtS. (i kill mimic with emp geas/Bts without using any divinity, which we need for FF to dmg boss)
    Post edited by illhora on
    I was using Divine Glow because I hadn't found anything better that I liked and there are times where it's helpful to get divinity back. It's also frequently not used when I'm fighting trash mobs as I can get recharged to full before the next mob group anyway. I'll try your BtS/Geas idea to keep up Doomsday full time.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    I personally use DG in combination with the feat tipping the scales. Having a means to instantly gain 5 pips is great. Whether you use the pips for divinity or to get that empowered skill off, it has it's uses. The other option of feat requires the use of 2 powers costing a large part of your divinity and requires quite a bit of setup, and most times you'll get more dps from 2 FFs than a FF and DL anyways.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    illhora said:

i am playing mainly my DC as DPS. No secret the gameplay of the heal path is very meh...

i have finished twice LOMM as paingiver, but doesnt mean anything.
    However i feel that we are outdpsing barbares at same GS. again it doesnt mean anything
    the "cleanest run" i had was with 3 brb / OP / DC (myself)
    all were hugging Bosses, easy to heal, easy to manage the aggro and the CA ...

We are doing very well with AOE, but rotation on single target is tricky and slow.
    Its important to fire FF with CA, fully buffed and hope for a crit.
    (still working on this part of my build, feel there is space for improvement)

Crit is acting strangely on FF, very low % - i am guessing the high crit from javelin (about +70% w/feat ) is downrating the crit % from FF to balande the overall...(even stranger the crit rate from FF casted with CA and without is significantly different...)

if FF could be casted much more often, DC will be on the paingiver top 2. It can crit above 1M with 2 sec CD....
    so i don't think divinity managment is to be changed.

DC's are in high demand for the heal, but we have a nice role to play as DPS :)

So no instead of spamming AA, healers spam heals to keep the group alive.

I heard 1 healer and 4 dps work better in most content. Reminds me of days of playing DCUO where most groups ran without a tank or a healer; all depending upon the content ran.

arazith07 said:

I personally use DG in combination with the feat tipping the scales. Having a means to instantly gain 5 pips is great. Whether you use the pips for divinity or to get that empowered skill off, it has it's uses. The other option of feat requires the use of 2 powers costing a large part of your divinity and requires quite a bit of setup, and most times you'll get more dps from 2 FFs than a FF and DL anyways.

using a 30 sec Enc to refill what can be done in 3 sec with an at will...yeah not for me :)