test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

10% mob reduction is laughable.

jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 40 Arc User
edited June 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
Its like an insult to players. Mobs are just to op and they like it like that so you will spend money in the cash shop. Leveling in this game used to be so fun. Now its just dying over and over.

Comments

• chidionchidion Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    vorphied said:

jarfaru said:

Its like an insult to players. Mobs are just to op and they like it like that so you will spend money in the cash shop. Leveling in this game used to be so fun. Now its just dying over and over.

Maybe share what seems to be the problem so we can try to help. Specifics would be good.

At least something other than what seems to be a vague 'it's not as easy as it used to be' complaint.

• finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    I died a lot in the beginning but have learned my way to cope with it by watching and learning mechanics, use envoirement in your advantage.

Now I have difficulties to die
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • chidionchidion Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    jarfaru said:

finmakin said:

I died a lot in the beginning but have learned my way to cope with it by watching and learning mechanics, use environment in your advantage.

Now I have difficulties to die

Prior to the changes a lot of players could just stand and ignore a great deal of damage, now it requires a bit more finesse being able to play with other characters using strategy and tactics to everyone's mutual advantage, being able to block and evade as well as the more frequent use of healing potions.

The old ways of the old Neverwinter are gone, time to adapt to the new ways for Neverwinter 2.0 or continue to be disgruntled.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    My advice to people "dying over and over" is, get lots of Eminent Healing Potions and Stones of Health. Place boons on your 3 spots to increase the effectiveness to +15%. Then maybe you won't die as often.

My question to people "dying over and over" is, how is this making the game less fun for you? You play other games where you die, dying is part of the challenge. Without that, you might as well be playing the game in God mode. Death in Neverwinter results in a 30 second time out or you have to use injury kits for immediate return. That is pretty tame for a game. I never played "Dark Souls" and from what I hear about it, you shouldn't either.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    dionchi said:

Speaking just for myself I'm of the opinion the game is "less fun" - because it now seems to be more costly...

Even with tactics adapted for the Mod 16 stat changes and as many boons allotted as are available, player characters are just less damage resistant than they used to be, I don't think anyone will disagree with that. So as you say players are having to use more Healing Potions, Stones of Health and Injury kits all of which cost currency.

Even with the adjustments you and I mentioned, many players don't earn enough Gold (or AD's) to replace all the Healing Potions, Stones of Health or Injury Kits they've used in regular game play.

Also it costs gold to do professions now so that is another gold drain that makes the game more costly AND in addition (something a lot of higher level players tend to forget) new and lower level players also have to pay gold to change out Runestones and Enchantments so the game can be very costly particularly for new and lower level players who haven't yet made their boons, don't have professions built up to a level to help pay for itself and have to pay to change out Runestones and Enchantments on top of purchasing replacement Health Potions and Injury Kits.

There are times when my lower level characters just have to stop playing until one of my higher level characters can make or donate enough Gold for them to purchase needed supplies... That's what makes it less "fun" for me.

The characters I play the most are highly geared, so my experience may not be entirely representative, but there are some strategies that are pretty much universal, especially for solo play.

- VIP should be purchased. Rough AD availability is high enough even for more casual players that converting AD to Zen and then purchasing VIP ranks is both practical and sensible. While characters don't become immune to injury until later ranks, that comes eventually, and healing potions are now rewarded from daily VIP claim. When you don't use potions anymore, you can simply sell them for gold. There is too much value in VIP, especially including the QoL factor, not to use it.

- Keep an eye out for official promotions, especially those with Cryptic partners, that provide free, basic perks like Stones of Health. Between these and the yearly in-game events, you can easily stock many, many Stones for emergency use. I say emergency use, because eventually you will not use them except every once in a while in a group dungeon setting.

- Swap out some of the less useful mount insignia bonus combos for things like Barbarian's Revelry, Oppressor's Reprieve, and Survivor's Blessing. All of these bonuses look fairly insignificant, but they give you a steady stream of passive healing, largely preventing you from being worn down through attrition.

- As characters gear up, the base Defense and combined rating stats on equipment alone will eventually put them near (or even over) the cap for damage resistance as a non-tank. This just happens naturally and doesn't require special attention aside from continuing to upgrade one's character.

- Double-checking the character's build, power loadout, and rotation is important. Since healing to full with a single swing or cast is not so much of a thing anymore, killing enemies before they can rack up the damage is more of a priority, so efficiency matters.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    Tonight I ran my HR (23k ilvl) with my rank 40 Cleric Disciple summoned to see how it worked out in the Runic Encounters. My opinion is that healing from companions is woefully inadequate. During the green runic HEs I was still burning up potions and health stone charges at a crazy rate. For reference, my HR has 230k HP and 105k defense.

My thoughts are that companion healing needs a huge boost and the 50% defense cap is overly harsh.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    vorphied said:

- Swap out some of the less useful mount insignia bonus combos for things like Barbarian's Revelry, Oppressor's Reprieve, and Survivor's Blessing. All of these bonuses look fairly insignificant, but they give you a steady stream of passive healing, largely preventing you from being worn down through attrition.

So many players hadn't figure this...
    With this advice you just won't die.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    dionchi said:

Speaking just for myself I'm of the opinion the game is "less fun" - because it now seems to be more costly...

Even with tactics adapted for the Mod 16 stat changes and as many boons allotted as are available, player characters are just less damage resistant than they used to be, I don't think anyone will disagree with that. So as you say players are having to use more Healing Potions, Stones of Health and Injury kits all of which cost currency.

Even with the adjustments you and I mentioned, many players don't earn enough Gold (or AD's) to replace all the Healing Potions, Stones of Health or Injury Kits they've used in regular game play.

Also it costs gold to do professions now so that is another gold drain that makes the game more costly AND in addition (something a lot of higher level players tend to forget) new and lower level players also have to pay gold to change out Runestones and Enchantments so the game can be very costly particularly for new and lower level players who haven't yet made their boons, don't have professions built up to a level to help pay for itself and have to pay to change out Runestones and Enchantments on top of purchasing replacement Health Potions and Injury Kits.

There are times when my lower level characters just have to stop playing until one of my higher level characters can make or donate enough Gold for them to purchase needed supplies... That's what makes it less "fun" for me.

Honestly, the problem isn't the profession system, but what you're choosing to do in it. In each profession, there will be some items that are quite profitable to make and sell back to a vendor - usually in the level 15-30 range. Brass rings, healing potions, deerskin boots.... things that cost a couple silver to make, and sell for 34 silver. Put some artisans on those tasks, and you'll be pulling in gold without issue, and be able to fund other artisans works. With 18 delivery slots open, just clearing the box daily, you'd still be pulling in 6+ gold. Do that across a few characters, and it adds up pretty quick. Even more is you clear the deliveries more than once a day.

Extra bonus - if you make potions with alchemy, you can use those on your toons, and spend far less than you would at the vendor or AH for similar potions.
  • dennizonndennizonn Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

dionchi said:

Honestly, the problem isn't the profession system, but what you're choosing to do in it. In each profession, there will be some items that are quite profitable to make and sell back to a vendor - usually in the level 15-30 range. Brass rings, healing potions, deerskin boots.... things that cost a couple silver to make, and sell for 34 silver. Put some artisans on those tasks, and you'll be pulling in gold without issue, and be able to fund other artisans works. With 18 delivery slots open, just clearing the box daily, you'd still be pulling in 6+ gold. Do that across a few characters, and it adds up pretty quick. Even more is you clear the deliveries more than once a day.

Extra bonus - if you make potions with alchemy, you can use those on your toons, and spend far less than you would at the vendor or AH for similar potions.
    Good advice, thank you.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    jarfaru said:

Without seeing some info on your character, it's tough to say what the issue is... are you being scaled? What kind of gear are you using? What powers are you using, and how are you using them?

If you're doing content for your level, you should generally be ok, so there may be other factors in play....
    edited June 2019
    > @hustin1 said:
    > Tonight I ran my HR (23k ilvl) with my rank 40 Cleric Disciple summoned to see how it worked out in the Runic Encounters. My opinion is that healing from companions is woefully inadequate. During the green runic HEs I was still burning up potions and health stone charges at a crazy rate. For reference, my HR has 230k HP and 105k defense.
    >
    > My thoughts are that companion healing needs a huge boost and the 50% defense cap is overly harsh.

You have waaay more Defense than is effective in PvE and very low HP for your item level. Healing companions are in an awkward spot right now, but in this case it’s your character that needs fixing.

- Defense over 68k has no additional benefit.

- Because your most reliable sources of healing are based on your max HP, increasing your HP pool has greater value than just the obvious.

- With your Defense so far out of whack at 23k ilvl, I’m guessing that there might be over/undercapping issues elsewhere that are making mobs difficult to kill.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    vorphied said:

> @hustin1 said:

> Tonight I ran my HR (23k ilvl) with my rank 40 Cleric Disciple summoned to see how it worked out in the Runic Encounters. My opinion is that healing from companions is woefully inadequate. During the green runic HEs I was still burning up potions and health stone charges at a crazy rate. For reference, my HR has 230k HP and 105k defense.

>

> My thoughts are that companion healing needs a huge boost and the 50% defense cap is overly harsh.

You have waaay more Defense than is effective in PvE and very low HP for your item level. Healing companions are in an awkward spot right now, but in this case it’s your character that needs fixing.

- Because your most reliable sources of healing are based on your max HP, increasing your HP pool has greater value than just the obvious.

- With your Defense so far out of whack at 23k ilvl, I’m guessing that there might be over/undercapping issues elsewhere that are making mobs difficult to kill.

Everything else at or over the cap. I think my lowest stat is 63k.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

vorphied said:

> @hustin1 said:

>

Everything else at or over the cap. I think my lowest stat is 63k.
    Most of your enchants and other bonuses that you can have a choice on should be power and HP, maybe some CA. Everything else will work out to max or close to it.
  • barkloud#8760 barkloud Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    vorphied said:

jarfaru said:

Maybe share what seems to be the problem so we can try to help. Specifics would be good.

Here is a good reddit thread, this person explains it perfectly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/bsvh0m/mod_16_my_experience_as_a_new_player/

Leveling for new players is so terrible. I am trying to push through because i really like the guild I joined and the truth is a game is secondary to a good group of people to play with.

vorphied said:

jarfaru said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/bsvh0m/mod_16_my_experience_as_a_new_player/

Leveling for new players is so terrible. I am trying to push through because i really like the guild I joined and the truth is a game is secondary to a good group of people to play with.

The reddit poster doesn't give a lot of info to go on, either. It's hard to help people when their stated issues are as vague as "It takes too long to kill things." Casual is fine and even healthy, but when someone takes over a month of regular play, even if only one or two hours a day, just to get one character to level 40, you know their experience is not representative and that they probably are not leveraging community resources like guilds and forums.

It's easy to complain, and all of us do from time to time, but if someone actually wants to be helped instead of simply to vent, they should start with something a little more concrete. There's a fair onus on the developers to make the game accessible, but players do bear some responsibility for learning their characters and playing reasonably well.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• cheerz4beerzcheerz4beerz Member Posts: 63 Arc User

vorphied said:

jarfaru said:

Levelling is easy...it's threads like this that detract from real issues that need to be resolved. Honestly if you are struggling levelling 1-80 you need to re-evaluate your choice of powers, your play style and decision making. I started playing a week before mod 16, I have levelled 3 characters to 80 and 3 more in the 30-50 range. I am not some elite player, I am average in every way, levelling is just not that hard. People need to learn how to play their characters.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    dionchi said:

Also it costs gold to do professions now so that is another gold drain that makes the game more costly [...]

If you look close enough to the recipies in professions, you should be able to make gold with the new craft system. In each profession you can find some reciepes with a sell value way higher than the production cost (most of them are in the lowest levels of each profession), so if you want to craft something costly, you just have to finance it before by crafting a batch of "gold creating" items.

Professions are not really gold drain, except if you craft brainlessly.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Well, more or less "on topic", i can't actually see or feel this change in game, did they really patch it yet or is the -10% HP for NPCs planned for the next patch? I ran few MEs and the daily RQ dungeon/skirmish, and there doesn't seem to be any noticable differences between before the patch and now...

And weren't there also plans for adjusting the crazy low cooldowns on NPC abilities? I'm not sure if they've changed or rather broken something in there too with the last patch, but the Manticore boss in MEs is now using his "power attacks" nearly every bloody second. And he doesn't seem to "register" any blocks from my Fighter as well, i'm blocking but it doesn't seem to have any affect. It would be nice if someone could take a look at this HAMSTER too...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • seridkalsenovseridkalsenov Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    Well it's NW 2.0
    We are going back before module 6 where move from danger area or dead.

Except this time, no buff, debuff long duration mitigation skill. Boring combat system.
  • rybsyngoniumrybsyngonium Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    regenerde said:

Well, more or less "on topic", i can't actually see or feel this change in game, did they really patch it yet or is the -10% HP for NPCs planned for the next patch? I ran few MEs and the daily RQ dungeon/skirmish, and there doesn't seem to be any noticable differences between before the patch and now...

I noticed change on my +/-14k alts during legacy campaign tasks ...or this is a placebo effect.
    Toons with 20k+ kills stuff as fast as before on 70+lvl instances. Change is not noticeable at least.
    regenerde said:

And (...) but the Manticore boss in MEs is now using his "power attacks" nearly every bloody second. And he doesn't seem to "register" any blocks from my Fighter as well, i'm blocking but it doesn't seem to have any affect. It would be nice if someone could take a look at this HAMSTER too...

I noticed something similar on Pally. I wondered if it is some a "poison/bleeding like" effect from one of unblocked attacks and health goes down even when blocking. But maybe you are right.

Well it's NW 2.0

We are going back before module 6 where move from danger area or dead.

Except this time, no buff, debuff long duration mitigation skill. Boring combat system.

I don't get where people are coming up with this. Mobs in general do far less damage per hit compared to before to account for the battle system changes and the loss of permanently maxed mitigation from a particular broken, stacking insignia bonus. Aside from scaling errors and specific areas like some of the Runic Corruptions, players in general can survive more hits than before; they just can't recover lost HP as effortlessly as they could with old Life Steal.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• tuesdayrolld20tuesdayrolld20 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User
    Considering the poster has not returned to this thread, he seems to be only venting his frustration.

1. Learn the game (stat synergies etc.)
    2. Play smart
    3. Most of all learn to avoid the red again!

Ask for help if you need it. Someone will help.
    Miri Droverson

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited June 2019

regenerde said:

I noticed change on my +/-14k alts during legacy campaign tasks ...or this is a placebo effect.
    Toons with 20k+ kills stuff as fast as before on 70+lvl instances. Change is not noticeable at least.
    regenerde said:

And (...) but the Manticore boss in MEs is now using his "power attacks" nearly every bloody second. And he doesn't seem to "register" any blocks from my Fighter as well, i'm blocking but it doesn't seem to have any affect. It would be nice if someone could take a look at this HAMSTER too...

I noticed something similar on Pally. I wondered if it is some a "poison/bleeding like" effect from one of unblocked attacks and health goes down even when blocking. But maybe you are right.
    The scaling should be gone from most campaign areas, so it should feel a lot different now in there. I'm currently pushing another character through the Ravenloft campaign, i just hope i'll get through it before they change it again...

And it's more about the knockbacks, shield is up and Guard is full but i'm still send flying halfway across the map.

As mentioned before, the red markers often don't show the whole range of the attack, i can be outside of the red and still get hit. And the same goes for the white marker when a golem explodes after it's defeated, or the blast radius of mines placed by Duergar.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Also for me there just isn't time to move out of the way of the red splats. Mob attack rates are mentally fast and there is still plenty of one-shotting going on.

As a dps Barbie I have to get in close to do damage. First three mobs I can take down with ease, then its about running around avoiding stuff till I can get my rotation back. Sort of enjoying it, sort of frustrated by it.
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Game should be fun, not work. Yes I understand the devs only listen to certain folks and making the game less fun for folks that do not want to have a worksheet to figure out the min max way to play. I am a founder and it definitely is NOT fun to run a story dungeon (mid boss pirate dungeon for examples sake) work my butt off to clear it because I am being scaled down. Get to the last boss and end up getting overwhelmed because I am not able to kill the boss fast enough to keep ahead of her mob spawning. In the end it is not fun for me. It was fun at one time but now it is not. Kind of how crafting used to be fun and is not.

I know, go play another game.

Cirran

Edit: Made another character to see how it is and the first Campaign is bugged. The task to make 4 quadrants completed after making the first quadrant. It shows 4/4 and shows I still have shards I can make another quadrant. The next task assemble the quadrants to make the orb says I still need 3 quadrants. I really liked this game.....