test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devout Cleric, Questions about Arcturia fight in LOMM

pariswinters#7118 pariswinters Member Posts: 858 Arc User
edited June 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
So someone got me to try LOMM again. I was told to use Intercession for the Cocoon and to "heal them and then move away because the cocoon explodes".
What actually happened was Intercession would mostly work to heal them.....but Bastion worked just as well, and at half the cost to me. Also from my observation it was better for me to be right on top of the Cocooned person, so after it exploded I could heal us all up again.

What is the mechanic here? should I group up or move away?
Is Intercession really needed here? I feel it is not.

we got her to like 10% HP and I was unable to heal myself and the Cocooned person near me because i was completely out of Divinity, we both died when it exploded (we were at around 50% max HP) so I just abandoned the dungeon.

some feedback: Wasn't even remotely fun, too mechanic intense. this was my 4th time attempting this dungeon since it's release on Live.
If it had been even a little fun I might have given it another shot.

Comments

• darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User

So someone got me to try LOMM again. I was told to use Intercession for the Cocoon and to "heal them and then move away because the cocoon explodes".
    What actually happened was Intercession would mostly work to heal them.....but Bastion worked just as well, and at half the cost to me. Also from my observation it was better for me to be right on top of the Cocooned person, so after it exploded I could heal us all up again.

we got her to like 10% HP and I was unable to heal myself and the Cocooned person near me because i was completely out of Divinity, we both died when it exploded (we were at around 50% max HP) so I just abandoned the dungeon.

some feedback: Wasn't even remotely fun, too mechanic intense. this was my 4th time attempting this dungeon since it's release on Live.

I dont agree. This is the best boss the developers gave to us in 5 years, It requires coordination and skill, each one doing his work to achieve the goal together. Pure DnD. is a boss that you cant bypass the mechanics with power like in other mods.

And you leave yourself in evidence when you say you only tried the boss 4 times... thats not enough to ask for changes. You need to try harder, but you are not alone. I see a lot of impatient people that want easy fights that they bypass with raw power.

If you didnt have enough divinity maybe is because you like "use the powers as they are ready" like you said in another post. Then the healer role is not for you. Also it can be that the tank wasnt good and you spent lots of heals on him. Or maybe your character needs tweaks to heal more with every power.

Developers said clearly than in mod 16, heals are a limited resource, and if healer gets out of divinity is a party wipe condition.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited June 2019

I complete this on my DC fairly often. Some tips to conserve divinity:

1) Cast Healing Word every 21 seconds: Keep it on the tank mainly, because if the tank is doing their job, the DPS shouldn't get hit much

2) Use Intercession for big heals: It doesn't cost any divinity but it does go on cooldown

3) Meditate when not fighting mimics: Your priority when fighting Arcturia is to keep players alive, and for this you need divinity

I like using the T1 feat which grants +6 seconds to Healing Word when I use an encounter/daily power, as it maximises the heal over time. Also, I use the class feature which increases healing output at maximum divinity (hence I cast Healing Word when I have full divinity) to make it much stronger. I find that I rarely need to cast Bastion outside of cocoon phases when I follow the steps above.

My divinity stays usually >70% unless there are a HAMSTER-tonne of golems due to the mimics being let through.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited June 2019

Where does my post say anything about nerfs ?

I am asking some questions about the mechanics here. And as far as not enjoying it, that's my personal opinion.

I didnt say anything about nerfs. I assume you are asking for changes in mechanics, because you said you arent having fun.

Well you could at least define how it could be fun for you, or suggest possible changes.

I think you are so pissed and negative with M16 that it doesnt let you have fun. Relax and assume that the changes are here, the game is different, a bit more challenging and you need to pay more attention on fights (thats good in my opinion).

Adapt and open your mind!

Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • cabar1cabar1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 124 Arc User
    > @pariswinters#7118 said:
    > The tank wasn't even a problem, it was the rogue in my team needing constant healing that made me run out of Divinity...

Focus on the tank, if the rogue is in trouble he/she is abusing you! I speak as a rogue, and always tell the cleric that their priority is the tank, my trouble is : MY TROUBLE.
    99 lines of code on the wall, 99 lines of code, add one line, compile it again....... 113 lines on code on the wall
    113 lines of code on the wall, 113 lines of code, rewrite one line, compile it again.......
    Wait For It
  • werdandi#8366 werdandi Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    cabar1 said:

> @pariswinters#7118 said:

> The tank wasn't even a problem, it was the rogue in my team needing constant healing that made me run out of Divinity...

Focus on the tank, if the rogue is in trouble he/she is abusing you! I speak as a rogue, and always tell the cleric that their priority is the tank, my trouble is : MY TROUBLE.

Unless the rogue has aggro and becomes the tank ^^

• rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Heal the cocooned one as you like if it works. I prefer BoH, Intercession as fallback solution if I'm out of divinity. Sometimes I even use the guardian of life. I don't like Healing word because it costs divinity too much.
    I use to move away.

IMO there are other variables that require attention.
    The first one is trivial: DPS. The faster the team, the better the management of your divinity.
    The second one is trivial as well: killing mimics. Golems are a big source of damages: 2 or 3 are ok, but when 6 golems are in, then it's not easy.
    The third one is team play and how the damages are distributed. I met tanks that need heals every 5 seconds: no good because you go out of divinity soon. Tanks that cannot hold the aggro and the damages are dispersed between the members of the team (cannon glasses in particular).

As soon as you are confindent, you will have fun in playing your role.
    You must have a solid team: if you heal too much since the beginning, you will be in trouble. If the dps is low, you will have problems with the mimics and then golems.

As an example, yesterday I had a sucessful run with a barbarian as the tank. The successful factor against Arcturia was the dps and not the need to have a good tank: no golems at all, so less damages to be healed.
    Post edited by rapo973 on

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • salidor#0795 salidor Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Normally i do not need any divinity for the cocoon

I just use Intercession for healing the person up and then i stand beside and doing the at-will healing on the cocoon. Usually that works as long as no other player is stealing intercession :)
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    When youre a fan of running LoMM without a tank (DPS+Cleric only), as you stated in a other post you started, then you can expect these things happening and you will running out of Divinity very fast.
    A tank is build to absorb insane amounts of incoming damage (if properly build) but even the best tanks will require heals in LoMM, especially the boss youre requesting mechanics / tactics for…

I really hope that history is not repeating itself when tanks where just hanging out in PE because DPS classes decided to ruin the fun of players (like myself) who playing NW as a tank, and made them obsolete... mainly caused by godlike DPS (Dev's fault) and bugged LS (everybody kept silent on)..
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer

I dont agree. This is the best boss the developers gave to us in 5 years, It requires coordination and skill, each one doing his work to achieve the goal together. Pure DnD. is a boss that you cant bypass the mechanics with power like in other mods.

Well said..

> @finmakin said:

> When youre a fan of running LoMM without a tank (DPS+Cleric only), as you stated in a other post you started, then you can expect these things happening and you will running out of Divinity very fast.

> A tank is build to absorb insane amounts of incoming damage (if properly build) but even the best tanks will require heals in LoMM, especially the boss youre requesting mechanics / tactics for…

>

> I really hope that history is not repeating itself when tanks where just hanging out in PE because DPS classes decided to ruin the fun of players (like myself) who playing NW as a tank, and made them obsolete... mainly caused by godlike DPS (Dev's fault) and bugged LS (everybody kept silent on)..

You're attributing someone else's posts to me. I said others were running it without a tank. I've tried it 4 times and had a tank everytime.

My apollogies, I might have misreaded that other post..

• vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited June 2019

Intercession isn't needed unless the cocooned person is an incredibly high max HP tank who did not block any of the initial cocoon hit's damage. Of course, as others have mentioned, Intercession can fail to do what you want if someone else happens to mess up at a crucial time and take near-lethal damage.

Healing Word is very expensive, not bursty, and is only efficient with the feat if you can keep the party close enough together to refresh the initial cast with regular Bastions that hit everyone, which isn't practical in this fight. It can and does work for some players, but I find it much simpler to rely on Bastion alone for this and most other fights. Many of Healing Word's ticks also go to waste since players other than (and sometimes including) the tank are not taking damage every few seconds. Its main advantage otherwise is that it automatically hits everyone nearby, which can be a plus in a messy fight, I suppose.

On Devout I usually play it lazy and run Divine Glow, Bastion, and Geas for this fight. DG isn't strictly necessary, but the added Divinity generation helps accommodate for when players take excessive or avoidable damage. Geas as a non-spender to apply Bronzewood and to help clear a mimic, Guardian of Faith daily as an additional mimic hammer if necessary. As vordayn said, using Channel Divinity is often more important than spamming at-wills, and DG can be done without if the party is playing well and you are diligent about channeling when you have the opportunity.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

I run cleric as my main and have completed LoMM nearly if not a hundred times.

You answered your own question though with the result of your fight.

I never stand by the cacoon and I always use intercession. Anyone standing by the cacoon is a waste of your divinity because any players near the cocoon will take unnecessary damage so its better just to spend a few seconds a way from the cocoon and if the tank is on it they can actually cause the boss to move a way from the cocoon so the melee dps can dish damage or be on it to dish damage after cocoon explodes.

The best way I have found is to just drop a single bastion on the person immediately after the cocoon explodes, just before they have enough time to jump out of your bastion circle which dps love to do.

It's just safer that no one stand near the cocoon, however I have seen other tactics work and occasionally there is one person in the party not paying attention and they stand near it. But in good practice I would suggest no one stand near it. This results in less divinity usage where it can be used if needed at another point in the fight.

This discussion has been closed.