test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Apprentice Armor Set, Are you serious?

coolgeek357coolgeek357 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
To obtain this set you must.

1) Complete the introductory quests to be able to run ME with runes.
2) Grind for armor to restore and different Resonances to create crystals (10 per crystal) for MEs to obtain Rune Etchings.
3) Once you have 5 Rune Etchings of the same type you can exchange them for a Rune-Etched Orb.
4) Grind for the Resonance you will need for the restoration. About 1200.
5) Purchase an Energy Sealer for 100,000 AD
6) Use the items you have collected and 25,000 AD to restore your piece of armor
7) Repeat steps 2-6 for each piece of armor.

Total cost in AD 500,000. Total cost in time, who knows. This gear is 965. I have 950. Why should I bother?

Considering the best armor always goes in group content, makes you wonder how you feel about solo players.

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Pretty sure they reduced it to 5 resonance:1 rune.

It isn't "about 1200". It is 1200. 400 of 3 different flavors.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • cheerz4beerzcheerz4beerz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    No one in their right mind would ever EVER restore even one of these pieces let alone the set. If their game wasn't so busted I imagine they would have severely nerfed the requirements by now but you know, they are busy with their one step forward two steps back patching strategy.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    I'd really like to hear more about the process for designing new equipment.

Acquisitions gave us useless, high ilvl transmutes...as well as literal transmutation gear that you couldn't buy unless you'd already purchased the aforementioned useless equipment.

Undermountain gives us a restoration-only i965 set that is not at all worth restoring.

Lair of the Mad Mage gives us the highest ilvl equipment in the game that includes an option for restoration...but all of the equip bonuses are horrible.

@nitocris83 Could we get one of the developers to address questions relating specifically to equipment design at an upcoming stream? Players frequently ask about rewards, but the questions have been ambiguous enough that Thomas appears to interpret them as relating to scaled dungeon rewards. In my mind the more important reading of the question is, "Why are armor rewards from the highest-tier content consistently undesirable to players who actually run said content, and are we going to see this trend addressed?"

I gave it a pass in Acquisitions with the Gallant gear because I assumed it was just placeholder stuff while we were waiting on M16. Unfortunately, Successor is the new Gallant, and Apprentice is technically not as bad, but soooo not worth messing with.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User

2) Grind for armor to restore and different Resonances to create crystals (10 per crystal) for MEs to obtain Rune Etchings.
    3) Once you have 5 Rune Etchings of the same type you can exchange them for a Rune-Etched Orb.
    6) Use the items you have collected and 25,000 AD to restore your piece of armor

Total cost in AD 500,000. Total cost in time, who knows. This gear is 965. I have 950. Why should I bother?

Considering the best armor always goes in group content, makes you wonder how you feel about solo players.

2a) Fight swarms upon swarms of Runic Specters who stunlock the hell out of you while you are fighting the normal enemies of MEs who already stunlock the hell out of you.

I wish I'd gotten more Gallant gear pieces during M15. It's actually decent compared to the new gear that gives you a bonus with one hand and gimps the hell out of you with the other.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • arailem#1581 arailem Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    greywynd said:

It isn't "it is 1200." The piece I'm working on is 600/600/30.

If I do all the pieces (which I won't), i need maaaaaaaybe upwards of 6k resonance of each simply to cover all bases.
    Sunshine SaltmineIs only game, why you have to be so buttmad?
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    This armor should have good bonuses, I cant understand what they did here.

Even with all his hard farming, if you "unlock" bonuses like 3% more dmg on melee or ranged powers, or other good options people could be bussy doing this. But I see this as a total waste of developer resourdes.

Bad design.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    Apprentice gear is truly a waste of time and resources.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Well, even when it was said that the Devs are playing the game like any other player on the regular server, this and many other design choices made with Undermountain are simply unbelievable bad...

As mentioned before on another matter, i'd really love to see the person(s) in charge of this to actually grind through it for their own characters and stream that every week.

I mean, what's the point in introducing new items into the game that most players might get when they're outdated and end up in the Trade Bar Store?
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!

It isn't "it is 1200." The piece I'm working on is 600/600/30.

If I do all the pieces (which I won't), i need maaaaaaaybe upwards of 6k resonance of each simply to cover all bases.

You are correct. The chest piece is 600/600/30. The other 3 pieces are all 400/400/400.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Same logic with new artifact gear sets, orcus is still bis for dps.
    I think if they implemented a way to upgrade old gear and artifacts to current ilvl each mod, we would

A) Have something to grind for (either way, if new bonus is good, new gear, or if old gear bonus is better, then mats to "restore/vivify/exalt" old gear to new ilvl)
    B) Looking way back, have a lot of interesting combos already available.

From the developer's perspective, this would save time on graphics, names, stats on new gear w/ same bonus as old stuff, but increase time in designing the upgrade system and implementing new requirements to upgrade old gear each mod to the next ilvl rating. Also, they would really have to think hard about making new and interesting gear, because they wouldn't need to reuse old bonuses.

I would really like to see this, and if they left the mats to restore old gear unbound, they could create a whole new in-game market to farm. One thing I always hear from PVE players, is that they miss farming unbound items or gear they could sell to other people, it's not the dungeons or content that they reminisce on per se, but the ability to earn a profit through farming pve content. Leaving the mats unbound would also allow players to buy zen to convert to ad and buy the mats instead of farming them, so it's a win-win for the company and players I think.

• drumon88drumon88 Member Posts: 142 Arc User

I think if they implemented a way to upgrade old gear and artifacts to current ilvl each mod, we would

A) Have something to grind for (either way, if new bonus is good, new gear, or if old gear bonus is better, then mats to "restore/vivify/exalt" old gear to new ilvl)

From the developer's perspective, this would save time on graphics, names, stats on new gear w/ same bonus as old stuff, but increase time in designing the upgrade system and implementing new requirements to upgrade old gear each mod to the next ilvl rating. Also, they would really have to think hard about making new and interesting gear, because they wouldn't need to reuse old bonuses.

I would really like to see this, and if they left the mats to restore old gear unbound, they could create a whole new in-game market to farm. One thing I always hear from PVE players, is that they miss farming unbound items or gear they could sell to other people, it's not the dungeons or content that they reminisce on per se, but the ability to earn a profit through farming pve content. Leaving the mats unbound would also allow players to buy zen to convert to ad and buy the mats instead of farming them, so it's a win-win for the company and players I think.

The new artifact gear was SUPPOSED to be better than Orcus/Lostmauth set. And if they ever get around to fixing the bugged AP generation, it very well might end up that way. But that's probably a ways off, since that particular bug's been getting reported nearly daily for 3 months (since 1st week of Preview) and was ignored completely until last week when we got a "we'll look into it" from Julia.

• quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    drumon88 said:

The new artifact gear was SUPPOSED to be better than Orcus/Lostmauth set. And if they ever get around to fixing the bugged AP generation, it very well might end up that way. But that's probably a ways off, since that particular bug's been getting reported nearly daily for 3 months (since 1st week of Preview) and was ignored completely until last week when we got a "we'll look into it" from Julia.

If by "bugged AP generation" you're referring to neck pieces with AP generation every 2 seconds, that might be a tooltip bug. One of the intentions behind mod 16 was to reduce the frequency that we cast dailies. At the moment, we can cast them about once per minute, which seems to be what they wanted. Just saying, being realistic, they will probably just update the tooltips on the neckpieces to read "0.4% AP every 2 seconds". If they actually did give 4% per 2 seconds, that exterior source of AP generation would be the main source of AP, it would be so overpowered compared to other sources of AP generation that it would get nerfed, like the journal did. I honestly don't see anyone producing AP fast enough to outdo the orcus set any time soon with one exception, a ranger/hunter.

• vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    While I really do want the artifact sets looked at, I'm less concerned with the disparity between those and Demon Lords' Immortality than I am with the Successor and Apprentice restoration gear issues.

At least the new artifact sets offer some functionality that is useful and require relatively minimal investment. My DPS characters are already effective enough in LOMM that I haven't even thought about the Orcus bits except when they come up in conversation on forums.

The armor, though...that's not only bad in M16, it's a trend that has carried over from M15. How many mods of obviously bad "end-game" armor are we intended to play through before there's some kind of course correction?
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User

I agreed. The balance is so off this game.
  • dennizonndennizonn Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I think the apprentice armor would be more enticing for myself if one of the two options were to happen:
    1. Keep everything the same, but increase the IL from 965 to 1000
    2. Keep everything the same, but lower the astral diamond costs for the energy sealer.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    kangkeok said:

I agreed. The balance is so off this game.
    I forget the term Thomas used to sum up an annoying grindfest for minor stat gain gear. But basically this system is in the game everywhere. Look at LoMM rewards, you can pull blue gear and it drops a lot. NO good game design end game dungeon would ever do this but NW devs think it makes sense.

There is no incentive to run lower tier dungeons when you factor in difficulty and rewards in the chests. Getting rough ad as a reward or refinement points are meaningless.

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    You also have to wonder who or why players are multi-running end game content when the next mod is 6-8 weeks away? {I read somewhere else].

Neverwinter seems to be turning into a perpetual motion machine where we all run around hamster wheels grinding out stuff we don't want, don't need or don't use. ALL for the sake of being Best in Slot for a few weeks ;)

You also have to wonder who or why players are multi-running end game content when the next mod is 6-8 weeks away? {I read somewhere else].

Read it on the forums. Haven't heard anything from the company about when, unless it is tied in with the new lockbox.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    With very few exceptions I've often wondered why anyone would spend so much time grinding for gear (any gear) only to have it become obsolete in a few months and have to grind for another set of gear to replace it...

In my mind it isn't about whether or not the APPRENTICE ARMOR SET is worth the effort to obtain it, but is any of the so called special interest item sets worth the effort?

Neverwinter seems to be turning into a perpetual motion machine where we all run around hamster wheels grinding out stuff we don't want, don't need or don't use. ALL for the sake of being Best in Slot for a few weeks ;)

Whether or not there will be something new in 6-8 weeks that makes current sets all but obsolete, we all know it - will - happen and probably sooner rather than much later...

Now if players were allowed to stack there former armor sets into a new armor set for an additional +600 Power or something like that on top of the stats the new gear offered then yeah, maybe another grind to obtain a new set of armor might be worth it.

But to grind for one set of armor only to have to toss it and grind for another set of armor to replace it within a few months?

That's never been my definition of something fun I want to find in a game.
    DD~
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

In the words of Phineas and Ferb, "Yes, yes they are."
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    devs, you havent heard, many players are boycotting this type of quest, it is 20x more grinding than original black ice armor set. rewards you set and gave us are too low and not worth time investing.
    even those elemental seeds are just as bad trying to get 100 master seeds and RNG doesnt yield except legendary raid mobs, and not many were able to completed, forcing to depends on 3 smaller heroic encounters and pure luck of getting a seed.
    newsflash, it is already outdated for seed grinding. devs seem to abandoning just about everything except shiny awful grindy than ever, even players already gave up on castle ravenloft half-way trying to complete sunblade.

oh great! another ghosttown!. and so many nerfs to collecting astral diamond, and Rhix is currently with nothing to do and out of business.
  • coolgeek357coolgeek357 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
    greywynd said:

I said about because one of mine is 1230