test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fix the appaling RNG on Alabaster sets

Comments

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    let me change some ideas i read here, move all the blues as random drops in Undermountain zones before Character's first Master Expedition run. those rewards are base on level.
    those drops and rewards seem so out of order and no sense of pattern, it made look like it was dev's sloppy job and poor planning.
    i am so sure these guys are extremely tired and overworked trying to beat deadline, reason why Mod 16 came out so bad.
    what they did with Barovia - Ravenloft was great, better planned contents.

Or, better idea, remove all the blue gear sets to armor vendor, just like we have in Maze Engine's dwarf merchant, sell as transmute for style set.

Give Rhix, a job! so he can sell "event gears" as transmutes?
  • spittfyre72spittfyre72 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Update: I have still not gotten a single Alabaster on my wizard, and I know I'm not the only one. I have run my 3 dailies on her every day since I got her to 80 and finished the campaign (may have been a few days after the mod came out). I finally broke down and equipped the Ebony weapons that have dropped several times, but I haven't turned my artifact weaps into rp just yet as I'm testing my effectiveness with them.

I occasionally run ME's with my alt Ranger and have gotten the OH 2x. I have also run them with assorted other alts but have not gotten any others.

Edit: My BF has also ran all of these with me on his rogue, and he has gotten the OH 6x. He has yet to get his MH.
  • photeus#7983 photeus Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Finally got my alabaster full set, took just over a month of daily ME runs.

I cannot swap loadouts now though. Acts like it swaps then breaks saying it can't find the load out items.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Umm. I've run ME about 50 times and gotten 3 alabaster weapons plus 1 alabaster offhand. RNG is not really the problem, its the patience. Personally I think a better alternative would be:

Increase Seal of the UnderMountain currency cap to 5,000. Increase the pricing & add items:

Basic Gears & the (omitted) Shirt & Pants: 1000 each
    10,000 rAD booster: 2000 each
    1 companion upgrade token: 2000 each
    Alabaster Offhand: 3000
    Alabaster Mainhand: 4000
    25 Seals of the Deep: 5000

How many thousands of times do we have to run THIS content, before RNG is the problem. Before you answer do a Forum search on "+5 Brutality Ring"
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    I am still psychologically scarred by the black ice arm piece in IWD. I refuse to grind anything that is gated purely behind RNG. I am not grinding the alabaster set. I did starting running MEs to get seals for rings. My TR got the off-hand on the second day :) But I am still not grinding for the alabaster set!
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    I am 100% certain there is a bug on the drop for the Alabaster. I have ran MEs every day since the second day of the Mod launch. And still no mainhand reward. It's rediculous.

April 24th - June 1st still no mainhand reward = 39 days x 3 times a day = 117 chances for the mainhand.

It is obvious something is not working. I know you can claim its working right but how come there are certain players that express the same experience and it's not just one or two others but dozens of players experiencing the same thing. I got the offhand on the second day of the mod going live and havent gotten the mainhand for 117 runs. That is silly.

What are the chances? 5% or 10%? What are the odds for the alabaster reward? It clearly can't be 5% because statistically I would have gotten it by now. 117 runs does not reflect a 5% reward rate. It doesn't even reflect a 1% reward rate. Something is clearly broken with it.

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

What are the chances? 5% or 10%? What are the odds for the alabaster reward? It clearly can't be 5% because statistically I would have gotten it by now. 117 runs does not reflect a 5% reward rate. It doesn't even reflect a 1% reward rate. Something is clearly broken with it.

This is a common misconception about probability, and why chance caps in a game are good (like refining has now).

Each attempt is a unique event, prior and future events have no bearing on the outcome. So it doesn’t matter how many times you run it, each time it’s like all the other ones don’t exist. What happens is it becomes more likely you will get the expected out come, theoretically.

A 1 in 100 chance isn’t close to a certain event out of a 100, it’s only 63.4% probability. You need many, many more runs before it becomes significantly unlikely that you will not have had it drop.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.

krumple01 said:

This is a common misconception about probability, and why chance caps in a game are good (like refining has now).

Each attempt is a unique event, prior and future events have no bearing on the outcome. So it doesn’t matter how many times you run it, each time it’s like all the other ones don’t exist. What happens is it becomes more likely you will get the expected out come, theoretically.

A 1 in 100 chance isn’t close to a certain event out of a 100, it’s only 63.4% probability. You need many, many more runs before it becomes significantly unlikely that you will not have had it drop.
    If we had a run for every time a wanna-be mathmagician explained probability to us, we would all have the Alabaster set. And 2 or 3 bags full of legendary rings. Yes, the numbers become closer to real probability, the more chances you throw at it. Which still does nothing to explain players that have posted about completing content thousands of times without receiving their drops. The truth is, some players are just lucky.
  • seridkalsenovseridkalsenov Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I agree with this thread
    I spent like around 3-4 weeks on this dumb Sh*t grind and got like 9 off hand not even a single main hand even with 9 relics, most I got is just rare blue sh*t drop.

I ALREADY LOST MY DAMN MIND GRINDING THE SET.

MAN I LOVE NEVERWINTER RNG (sarcasm)
    Even compared to River District, where a lot of grinding is required to get the weapons and mats required to restore them, you can see the goal in question and you know the goal is attainable. In this instance, you really have no idea whether or not the goal is attainable. This is the frustrating part, imo.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I'm just wondering why i'm getting the same drops of equipment from MEs with 4 different characters/classes...

Edit:
    I finally got the Alabaster OH with my Paladin on the last daily run today, but good grief getting the whole set was really a boring repetitive grinding nightmare.

I might try running my other characters through the campaign, perhaps after the next patch that will fix something without breaking 5 other things, but it's nothing i'm looking forward doing and i'm done with running after any other new gear from the Undermountain campaign.

I'll just wait for the next new campaign and hope the Devs have learned their lesson with placing equipment behind an absurd RNG wall.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    edited June 2019

krumple01 said:

Yes I am well aware of statistical probabilities.

There is one factor that is also missed here, which I was implying but didn't explicitly state. Although each single attempt is a chance at getting the reward and that probability doesn't change regardless of the number of times the quest is turned in. Where the probable issue arises is in the over all streak of failures. It's highly unlikely to fail to obtain the reward I seek even at a 1% chance. The larger the number of attempts get the less likely it will continue to fail. That is the other side of statistical analysis.

Another way to state this is, "Not every day can be a bad day, it's statistically improbable.." The larger the failure streak becomes means there is something internally wrong with the system.

But lets set that all aside for a minute. Let's just say I am very unlucky even though others have stated the same exact experience. They got their offhands on the second day of the MOD launching and still have not received their mainhand weapons. Is it reasonable game design that I would need run it 117 times to get a weapon reward? Does this make any sense to anyone? I have two weeks before completing the LoMM seal set. Essentially I would only need to run lomm 5 times in a 7 day peroid for 400 seals. The weapons are 750 seals so that is less than two weeks worth of seals. A total of less than 4 weeks of saving seals to obtain this weapon set. 1500 seals total.

I have already completed 40 days worth of MEs without a single mainhand alabaster reward. And on top of that I could essentially go another 40 days without getting it where as the seal weapons would already be finished.

Tell me this is a great system..

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    regenerde said:

I'm just wondering why i'm getting the same drops of equipment from MEs with 4 different characters/classes...

Edit:
    I finally got the Alabaster OH with my Paladin on the last daily run today, but good grief getting the whole set was really a boring repetitive grinding nightmare.

I might try running my other characters through the campaign, perhaps after the next patch that will fix something without breaking 5 other things, but it's nothing i'm looking forward doing and i'm done with running after any other new gear from the Undermountain campaign.

I'll just wait for the next new campaign and hope the Devs have learned their lesson with placing equipment behind an absurd RNG wall.

By sheer luck I wound up with the offhand, but I'm not going to bother trying for the mainhand. I'm done. The swarms of Runic Specters have destroyed what little was left of my patience with this mod. I'll check in with the alliance maybe once a week but otherwise I will have no more of this mod. I'm contemplating making someone else guild leader since I can't effectively lead the guild this way and I'm too thoroughly disgusted to play any more. I'm even forcing myself to entertain what it would feel like to delete my characters and walk away entirely.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    krumple01 said:

krumple01 said:

Yes I am well aware of statistical probabilities.

There is one factor that is also missed here, which I was implying but didn't explicitly state. Although each single attempt is a chance at getting the reward and that probability doesn't change regardless of the number of times the quest is turned in. Where the probable issue arises is in the over all streak of failures. It's highly unlikely to fail to obtain the reward I seek even at a 1% chance. The larger the number of attempts get the less likely it will continue to fail. That is the other side of statistical analysis.

Another way to state this is, "Not every day can be a bad day, it's statistically improbable.." The larger the failure streak becomes means there is something internally wrong with the system.

But lets set that all aside for a minute. Let's just say I am very unlucky even though others have stated the same exact experience. They got their offhands on the second day of the MOD launching and still have not received their mainhand weapons. Is it reasonable game design that I would need run it 117 times to get a weapon reward? Does this make any sense to anyone? I have two weeks before completing the LoMM seal set. Essentially I would only need to run lomm 5 times in a 7 day peroid for 400 seals. The weapons are 750 seals so that is less than two weeks worth of seals. A total of less than 4 weeks of saving seals to obtain this weapon set. 1500 seals total.

I have already completed 40 days worth of MEs without a single mainhand alabaster reward. And on top of that I could essentially go another 40 days without getting it where as the seal weapons would already be finished.

This is a great system...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bb/53/a9/bb53a98fb00b83b4432cd3b416b23ef0--thundercats-comic-books.jpg

There are hundreds (thousands?) of trials done each day, the failure streak isn’t as high as individuals report it.

I’ve got 3 toons with both and my other 2 have 1.

There are other people with none.

Personal experience is irrelevant.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • tjkernan#7315 tjkernan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I would personally like to see just what all the items are in this supposed RNG of goodies.
    Besides my 5 off-hands I have received (and no main), I essentially get the same garbage every single day...
    2 pieces of purple fighter/barbarian gear (braces and some other piece) and I am a ranger, mind you...
    and either a purple axe or the red feather ranger/cleric chest.
    Every. Single. Day.
    Does not seem too random to me...seems like a screw job...
    krumple01 said:

Just to be clear I think it’s a bad system when it lacks a streak-breaker. Especially on such a large loot table.

But that doesn’t mean it’s not working correctly and “fairly” as pure RNG.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    I haven't found the off-hand yet.
    I play a different game: I guess what kind of boot will be delivered at the end of a ME.
    I'm collecting the seals of the deep to get at least one off-hand. In any case, the weapon sets will be outdated soon when the new module is released.
    At the end of the day, I can do my solo quests, I can complete LoMM..and that's enough if I take into account the overall condition of the game.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    The cynical side of me says that the mountaineer set won't become available in the tradebar store until Mod 17 when the current pack gets pulled for the next shiny bauble. You'd think that with all the players who already left the game in disgust they'd learn to not antagonize those who are left. Maybe we do all have Stockholm Syndrome.

When Chult went live there were at least 40 full instances on any given day. Go to Undermountain now and you can count them on two hands. The game has hemhorraged players with this debacle and yet the idea of giving the customer what they want still does not compute in the devs' minds. smh.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • cheerz4beerzcheerz4beerz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Ive gotten the full set on two characters now before a guildy has even gotten one single piece. It's demoralising to the people that can't get the drops, by the time they actually get them, the excitement of getting the drop is replaced with anger, "it's about gdamn time!"

Put both the offhand and mainhand in the seal store for 1200 seals each and call it a day. Seals are completely useless anyways.
    edited June 2019

Ive gotten the full set on two characters now before a guildy has even gotten one single piece. It's demoralising to the people that can't get the drops, by the time they actually get them, the excitement of getting the drop is replaced with anger, "it's about gdamn time!"

Put both the offhand and mainhand in the seal store for 1200 seals each and call it a day. Seals are completely useless anyways.

Agreed, and they will put them in the store for seals but mod 17 will need to be released so that they are obsolete first.

It's like waiting for random carrot seeds to grow in front of you. The odds of it happening are unknown because it would be insane to use that system in a game.

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    hustin1 said:

regenerde said:

Edit:

By sheer luck I wound up with the offhand, but I'm not going to bother trying for the mainhand. I'm done. The swarms of Runic Specters have destroyed what little was left of my patience with this mod. I'll check in with the alliance maybe once a week but otherwise I will have no more of this mod. I'm contemplating making someone else guild leader since I can't effectively lead the guild this way and I'm too thoroughly disgusted to play any more. I'm even forcing myself to entertain what it would feel like to delete my characters and walk away entirely.
    Well, i'm doing the 3 daily ME runs, using the seals from the 2x event to get a few more rings for my other characters, and i thought about pushing a newer character through the Aquisition Inc. and Ravenloft campaigns, but that went down the drain yesterday with massive SNR warnings followed by disconnects every few minutes - in short, it was unplayable.

And while i couldn't even log into the game anymore at some point, the web page here also seemed to be really slow or not loading at all... not sure what was going on, but i hope they get it fixed before the weekend.

Anyway, i finally got the Alabaster weapon set on my Wizard, which i ran through the campaign recently - while my Fighter, which i ran a while ago through the campaign, hasn't gotten the Alabaster MH or OH or even some Ebonized or Prized ones from all the ME runs i've done this far.

But i now have the same head/armor/arms/feet equipment combination on nearly 3 characters now, there're either not that many different IL 950 drops in ME, or something really weird is going on here...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    Post patch update: My bf finally got his MH on his rogue last night. He had been keeping a green OH in his bag in hopes that this would keep addtional OHs from dropping (this seemed to work, OHs stopped dropping for about 2 weeks). I got a MH on my wizard first day of the patch, still hoping for the OH, still running them every day. We generally run them just the 2 of us, sometimes we invite other people along for the ride, but as I work 2nd shift, we're playing around midnight to 1am ET, I'm tired, and I just want to get them done. Last night we decided to try running 2 runes (we did 2 sacrifice runes for the RP) and he got his MH on the first run. I thought he was going to cry.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    after 6 weeks doing ME runs, i just stop playing over a week, only log for invokings.

just tired of RNG treating me like discarded toilet papers. those blues/rares need to be remove from reward menu, doesnt make sense we get blues/rares on the drops and often epic drops was better than rewards.
    i am on the verge of another burnout.
    If anyone has been paying attention to my ranting, I would like to say that after daily MEs for nearly 2 months, I have finally gotten both Alabaster weapons on my wizard. Yes, I ugly cried.

For the record, it shouldn't be this difficult for some while others got them so easily. Some nights I just felt like face-rolling the keyboard.

Also, death the red feather clan. I hate them and their gear.