test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The State of Neverwinter: May 21 Q & A stream recap

Comments

• mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User

Still not good enough. I cannot solo play but a handful of instances now, thanks to my regenerative power being fractionalized and my attack power as well. I do not enjoy group play and am not here for it. This new mod seems geared to FORCE players to group. Not interested. I want the character I worked hard on for 5 years back. what I have now is a pitiful shadow of it.

My experience is the opposite. What with the new gear and them tweaking the scaling all old maps are pretty much back to smash smash button time :/
    And I solo play 97% of the time. Then again, apparently Wizards are OP a f. Meeh
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited May 2019

micky1p00 said:

I'm not sure why it's mutually exclusive. The challenge part is to make things fun.
    It's all nice when you can clear a dungeon without issues, once, twice, do it 20 times and you fall asleep. After that, is there a meaning to do more? Will a casual player want to waste their only hour in a day that they can play game to do the exactly same dungeon with exactly the same outcome?

Some I guess would, but I wouldn't.
    The idea of a challenge, is to use that one hour in a meaningful way, some runs will fail, some will succeed, but then, when success is not assured (and not due to nasty pugs that you want to strangulate), there is a feeling of accomplishment add to this a proper in-game reward and you get fun.

Shame that there is no either challenge nor reward, hence forum posts about no fun.

As a side note, I'm sure some want mindless repetitive grind, but for that there are dailies (And RL).

And that was the content I was talking about being not as easy for many ilevel15ks with the scaling that is present now, the daily quests in zones. As they are now, they are not fun for anyone to do. And especially for those that only play solo.

Most casual players that only have 1 hour to play a day are not even going to try to do a dungeon anyway, as they will not have the time.

I disagree.

If I have an hour to play, I would only run a dungeon or two and log off. Dailies is a pure waste of time (IMO obviously). If I have only an hour of game time and my choice is dailies, I would always pick some good single player game, a book, a TV-series, or anything with added value.
    If we compare NW dailies, there are so many better games out there, in NW they are a time sink, a filler. NW added value is doing stuff with friends. Hell, I'll rather just chat in guild chat and sell/buy on the AH.

Obviously other people have other opinions, and that's fine, but all this is moot, the scaling is removed from the open zones. Which reinforces my previous point, that easy mashing is left to dailies, and the challenge + reward to the queued content.
  • aelracaelrac Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I've stopped playing as much as the grind I made to get brutals to lvl 14 and comps to legendary was essentially washed away. why isn't there more freedom in choices for enchant exchanges (i.e. brutals for radiants) and fixes or exchanges for comps? I think we are used to all the grinding and refining needed for the newer equipment, but my legendary companions are essentially useless now. We were told that the changes were to allow players to use any companion without having to worry about which is strongest. Also I can't imagine new players navigating content and knowing how to build their toon without some kind of guide for character ratings once they hit lvl 70/80. I see lots of failures even running rlq and riq! You guys want to attract more players and keep the ones you have, right?
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    My problem with group content all comes down to how certain wizard spells interact with my internet, and trying to make a wizard understand if they use icy terrain they lose their cleric is impossible. So I do not bother to try to do group content for that very reason.

But, yes, it all comes down to different people play this game for different reasons, so all those reasons have to be made fun, otherwise they will continue to bleed players.
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    @ravenloft So you are saying that a solo player's money is not as good as yours and the dev's should just drive them all out?
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

My problem with group content all comes down to how certain wizard spells interact with my internet, and trying to make a wizard understand if they use icy terrain they lose their cleric is impossible. So I do not bother to try to do group content for that very reason.

But, yes, it all comes down to different people play this game for different reasons, so all those reasons have to be made fun, otherwise they will continue to bleed players.

it all depends on the zones and if you are using wi-fi internet, wi-fi internet is meant for low machine like ipads/mobile phones and laptops, if you want to have better online game experience a pc desktop machine and a cable connected to your router is best way for that, zones outside USA can get terrible lag disconnects, icy terrain( is the way to go for wiz damage boost and cd reduction, this it problem happened in the past for tiamant and wod heralds runs) doesn't seem to be the most of you trouble, casting storytellers artifacts also causes some lag for few secs that all good, having boss mechanics the overload animation on one target and overflow adds on player with aoe delay blast ( mechanoid mobs on worm boss).
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

I have a question: where is the promised balance of classes? you created two super class https://youtu.be/ZtkxHFrRWkU look at what's really going on. when will the damage of the smoldering skill of a magician be reduced to objective parameters? now melee classes are simply not needed!

I like that a few wizards are coming out and saying what needs to be said, the class is OP, class balance this mod is BAD
    this is how skilled this player is with the wizard class, not many wizards reach this level of skill challenge to solo content like FBI.
  • mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited May 2019

micky1p00 said:

micky1p00 said:

I'm not sure why it's mutually exclusive. The challenge part is to make things fun.
    It's all nice when you can clear a dungeon without issues, once, twice, do it 20 times and you fall asleep. After that, is there a meaning to do more? Will a casual player want to waste their only hour in a day that they can play game to do the exactly same dungeon with exactly the same outcome?

Some I guess would, but I wouldn't.
    The idea of a challenge, is to use that one hour in a meaningful way, some runs will fail, some will succeed, but then, when success is not assured (and not due to nasty pugs that you want to strangulate), there is a feeling of accomplishment add to this a proper in-game reward and you get fun.

Shame that there is no either challenge nor reward, hence forum posts about no fun.

As a side note, I'm sure some want mindless repetitive grind, but for that there are dailies (And RL).

And that was the content I was talking about being not as easy for many ilevel15ks with the scaling that is present now, the daily quests in zones. As they are now, they are not fun for anyone to do. And especially for those that only play solo.

Most casual players that only have 1 hour to play a day are not even going to try to do a dungeon anyway, as they will not have the time.

I disagree.

If I have an hour to play, I would only run a dungeon or two and log off. Dailies is a pure waste of time (IMO obviously). If I have only an hour of game time and my choice is dailies, I would always pick some good single player game, a book, a TV-series, or anything with added value.
    If we compare NW dailies, there are so many better games out there, in NW they are a time sink, a filler. NW added value is doing stuff with friends. Hell, I'll rather just chat in guild chat and sell/buy on the AH.

Obviously other people have other opinions, and that's fine, but all this is moot, the scaling is removed from the open zones. Which reinforces my previous point, that easy mashing is left to dailies, and the challenge + reward to the queued content.
    have to say I'm 100% with you on all that janne. I like doing group content, It's all I do, once a campaign is finished I do not return to the zone. and now that they are all finished I hang out in Yawning Portal because it's convenient for Doing ME's (on my alts that dont have alabaster yet), most of my ingame time now is spent chatting with friends....about 90% of it honestly.

Whereas I'm one of those players who prefers doing solo weekly quests for AD and now the challenge campaigns (except the ones that require major heroics) and MEs and prob my fav thing to do is Dread ring and Sharandar dailies. All those things I find quite relaxing and rewarding (RP and AD) for the time I have to invest in the game. I don't mind group content, but I simply prefer to do the things that I find rewarding in solo play (I have never tried to solo group content other than minor heroics) so that I can do stuff as I see fit and in the time I see fit and I only have myself to blame for delays and failures. From my point of view I'm happy that the game caters for both ends of the spectrum.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    @mimicking#6533

If consoles get all of these patches up to the latest patch it will be a much better playing experience for console players and I feel for the PC players that put up with and played mod 16 through it launch to current state. I still feel more is needed before you launch this game on consoles.

1) Encounters cool down - please lower cool down time before the game hits consoles. With longer cool down this game does not feel like an action RPG MMO. It become more tactical and this game is not marketed as a tactical RPG; it is marketed as a action RPG, so please lower encounter cool down so it is more action based than tactical based.

2) Companions - please adjust the active bonus on the Chult Tiger and one of the archons so they are worth having still in mod 16 as many players feel ripped off by Cryptic do to making these companions worthless after either paying millions with in game resources or using real world money. This will make many players happy and we will feel as if Cryptic isn't all about being a money grab.

3) Legendary Mount Bonus - Please make sure that all Legendary mount combat power and equipped power are equally worth using. Right now the equipped power worth using for damage dealers are the legendary mounts that provide the power stat. So please look into making the other ones worth it as well. As for combat power, Bat Swarm seems to be the go to still.

4) Character builds complexity - I believe a way to resolve this is by doing this. At level 10 you get one level 10 feat point and 3 level 10 feats to select. At level 20 you get one level 20 feat point, 3 level 20 feats and the two level 10 feats you did not select at level 10 to pick from. This goes all the way up to level 80. This will allow players to select lower tiered feats if they choice to; however, if you want the higher leveled feats you have to select a feat at the appropriate level to move to the higher tier feats.

Example: I'm level 80. I respect my character. I use my first feat point and pick a level 10 feat to open up level 20 feats. I than use my second feat point and select another level 10 feat but since I did not select a level 20 feat, the level 30 feats don't become available. My third feat point I select a level 20 feat which now open up level 30 feats. My character would not be able to use the level 80 feats as I spent two feats points on level 10 feats.

Even if you only did this with a selection of two feats per 10 levels instead three as in my example it still would allow players to customize our characters. Also going every 10 levels is linear design whereas your design is just feels thrown together.

5) New Role buffer - Since the game has had most buffs/debuffs removed please create a buffer role for the game and please make the Ranger, Wizard, and Rogue full fill this role to give all classes a two role option. Than adjust the group to 1 tank, 1 healer, 1 buffer, 2 dps.

This is what I hope you are working towards to make the game better. Right now even with the fixes you listed the game is still in a bad place.
  • neidanman#1423 neidanman Member Posts: 82 Arc User

I have a question: where is the promised balance of classes? you created two super class https://youtu.be/ZtkxHFrRWkU look at what's really going on. when will the damage of the smoldering skill of a magician be reduced to objective parameters? now melee classes are simply not needed!

This guy is actually playing arcanist not thaum the whole way through so has no smolder going on here. Also, smolder only procs lots from 2 low damage & slow ticking encounters so its not so OP as it can seem.
  • neidanman#1423 neidanman Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Overall I like the direction things are going in now. Just want to say, as when the mod first dropped I was very anti the changes. As we get more familiar with the new system though, I think its actually really good. Its unfortunate that many people seem not to realise that they need to build for scaled content/that a separate build is needed for it in the first place. But once you get past that its all working well enough (save specific bugs) and feels much more balanced overall.

Also regarding LOMM and some people saying its too hard. I think its great that the newest hardest dungeon is actually hard. One reason I like MMOs is that there is a journey through the content and difficulty and you need to progress to the point where you can do the hardest content.
  • agodbeaagodbea Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    The drawback with these changes (double power of enchants) is it will need less of them to hit the optimal values forcing more of them to instead be radiant(+power and +health)
    Could maybe lower the base stats of gear to compensate.
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    lowjohn said:

kangkeok said:

Never scale down a player. Its like fake bill notes. The more u had it in your system, the more worthless your currency is. The more u do it, the more worthless player gear are. However, scalling up the mob might be a better solution. For example make a whole list of dungeon scaled to 80, instead of scalling down the player. Label the list of that dungeon as for lvl80 player only. That way level 80 player could play a level80 malabog castle instead of scalling down the player to level 70.

Can't do that without either severely punishing the L64 player queuing for MC because that's his top dungeon, or getting a proper per-toon scaling working which I fully grant is extremely hard in the current model.

Easy. I believe when level 80 cap is introduced, the game focus should be at level 80. The dev just need to include a level 64 malabog castle in the leveling que so those level 64 player could still play them. If player want to play end game level 80 malabog, they need to level up and get to appropriate item level. There is no need to scale any toon other than their own dungeon.
    edited May 2019

Take a level 80 casual players toon, which would have about 15k ilevel into any of the scaled level 70 content and see if it is challenging for them or not. Currently that is an issue for many casual players. There are still casual players that find LoL challenging, so it is really all a matter of perspective.

A casual buy to advance game like NWO needs to cater to the low totem on the pole and that is the casual player you just mentioned. Most content up to T9 should be EASY for the casual player since that is the content they will play the most. As for elite players, they need to realize that a game like NWO never will truly cater to the elite player do to the the game being F2P and depending upon its casual players to buy stuff leave and have new players come in and take their place.

The elite can help those casuals stick around but the reality is NWO should not be hard or challenging. It is not a solo player game where you can set the difficulty and play the hardest level and enjoy it if you want that type of experience.

NWO is an MMO game where you depend on others in content and it needs to be easy overall to complete content do to this and the pay to advance model NWO has. If content is to hard, it discourages casual players to BUY up their character, it discourages even elite players to buy up an alt that they want to goof around with when they get bored on their main.

Look at myself as an example. I had 3 characters all 17K IL+ in mod 15. I liked my 3 character but after reading and trying for a very short time mod 16, I stripped down my cleric and fighter and now only plan to play my wizard.

This game seriously took a nose dive in enjoyment for many do to the slow combat that NWO has. This game is not suppose to be a tactical MMO game; it is ACTION RPG MMO meaning more button smashing and less wait and use our encounters smartly.

Mod 15 had better use of how encounters should work in a game like NWO than mod 16. I hope the devs bring back recovery or does something to improve on encounters cool down.

Elite or not, mod 16 still needs more tweaking to be truly enjoyable by more players. This latest fix is making it so that the game is in a better place but still more is needed.

tgwolf said:

For the record, outside of the bugs that no-one has any control over I'm having zero problems with Mod 16.

Stats, scaling and difficulty are nowhere near bad enough to make progression or general play an issue despite what the soft, undeserving people complaining here think.

The way things are going, Power Creep, the EXACT thing you have been fighting to eradicate will return and if it does I urge the Dev team to respond to anyone who complains at that point with:

"This is a problem you created. Fix it yourself."

I'm sure that will go over well if any developer did that.

As for power creep, it was happening do to the over buffing and power sharing that existed in prior mods. Removing the buffs and powersharing alone from mod 15 would have fixed many of those issues. Reducing life steal effectiveness by 75% would also have made the game a bit more of a challenge.

The other things that could have been added, counter stats and modify how the ratio from our stats from 400:1 to 1,000:1. This would also have helped out as well.

Once those were in the game it would be easier to balance out classes once buff/debuffs were completely removed along with power sharing.

But instead we get a full game revamp that hasn't been pretty at all.

Of course we wanted the original mod 16 that was put on preview, remember its what we asked for as players. :)
    gripnir78 said:

And I much prefer them to err on the side of we are a bit more powerful than the monsters we are fighting than the other way around. You have to remember that probably more than 85% of the people who play this game are casual players, so they for the most part do not come to the game for a challenge, they play the game to have fun.

I dont think it works how you described above.

Thing is that most of forum users are NOT casual players - those dont even bother to look on the forum. So in fact forum users are those crying the most, how this game is too hard now, how cooldowns are to long and mobs are too tough or they hit too hard etc.

Yet, we are the "players voice" here, and no matter how small minority we really are, we are those few who influence a devs decisions if at all. Keep in mind that devs also have a lot of different tools (like statistics etc) to monitor situation. And I dare to say that they comply to our proposals/demands only when those are in line with their internal tools results.

Casuals.... well they are more take it or leave it kinds of players.

Aprat form obvious bugs or lets be honest here simply stupid decisions made by devs in most of cases people are complaining cos game is not as easy as it used to be, witch in most cases comes down to new demand to use just a few brain cells to avoid red areas, and go behind tank not in front of him. But above all they complain becouse game is different, simply just different, and while they asked for it now when they get it they cant get used to it. Most of players was expecting a change but, in fact, was not ready for it.
    In most cases learning of new habits and geting rid of most old one do the trick here - really.

Even if the devs are going to adjust game as they just stated there still be a huge group of players complaining
    here as a game is no longer pre MOD 16 type.

Real issue is that overall dificulty level of this game was so low that it only missed "I win button" on top of the screen. And players simply get used to that. And now any change here is taken as harm.

What this game really miss is that content should be avilable in 2 or even 3 different difficulty levels, with different demands and rewards.
    That would cover most needs/expectations - there would be easy runs for those looging in for fun, even solo players, and hard runs for those looking for a challenge.

But no - we got scalling instead - not serving any1.....

Forums are not the only place players are making complaints about mod 16. There are other social media sites with players also complaining about the same stuff. The game simply needs tweaks to actually be enjoyed by the masses.
  • kayar2015kayar2015 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Not a massive thing but how about reworking the vault of piety. Had same rewards for 6 years now. All useless rewards for invoking. Are the mighty weapons from the CTA season being upgraded to lvl 80 and they still is no set bonus for them on xbox. Also new classes would be good with new races also. How a bout the eagle guys race from spinward rise...that would be fun. You said CN will never come back because it was to long and in that lies the problem because most of the dungeons are to short. Maybe in the future we will see a Mod with more than 1 dungeon being released. Here's to HOPE...
  • sundancewanderingwolfsundancewanderingwolf Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    I really hop the changes being proposed are genuine. True a ton of trust has been lost and in my case... "I'll believe it when I see it" is my reaction. I'm hopeful but too much hope is dangerous and a let down. If these proposed fixes go through things should be nicer.
    It seems one major thing about the guild hall has been neglected and missed... Tier 1 Heroic Encounters and ALL Humanoid monsters on the Guild Hall map are showing as if they were epic boss level for a Demonic Encounter. Lake Supply Woes, Dock Supply Woes, all thayans, orc, etc... also. The only humanoids not effected by this are Devils.
    Please fix the guild hall... seals are still showing up as Protector Seals and have for a year now... That fix would also be nice so players see Seals of the Crown on Dragon Flight section of the guild Outfitter shop: #6 then #1 you can trade in fangs for seals. Please stop neglecting the guild hall with updates.
    Also another complaint I have is that Seals are not showing up as trade-able if you have seals of elements or seals of the protector. May want to include them still for players who haven't played for a long time.
    ~Skyye Lakara~
  • dawndilion#7316 dawndilion Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Hey, for next week, instead of most of the stream answers consisting of "that's a systems question", why not....involve the systems team? Today's stream was 15 mins of talking about nothing, 15 mins of questions that mostly didn't get answered, and 30 mins of someone playing a test toon in Sharandar. Really?
  • tjkernan#7315 tjkernan Member Posts: 74 Arc User

Hey, for next week, instead of most of the stream answers consisting of "that's a systems question", why not....involve the systems team? Today's stream was 15 mins of talking about nothing, 15 mins of questions that mostly didn't get answered, and 30 mins of someone playing a test toon in Sharandar. Really?

This. I turned it off after trying to watch because it was nothing but fluff and hot air...

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

it all depends on the zones and if you are using wi-fi internet, wi-fi internet is meant for low machine like ipads/mobile phones and laptops, if you want to have better online game experience a pc desktop machine and a cable connected to your router is best way for that, zones outside USA can get terrible lag disconnects, icy terrain( is the way to go for wiz damage boost and cd reduction, this it problem happened in the past for tiamant and wod heralds runs) doesn't seem to be the most of you trouble, casting storytellers artifacts also causes some lag for few secs that all good, having boss mechanics the overload animation on one target and overflow adds on player with aoe delay blast ( mechanoid mobs on worm boss).

That is not the issue, as I do have a desktop pc connected to an ethernet cable, it is because I live a rural part of Ohio that has some bad telephone lines. It is the jump from my house to the telephone exchange where the problems are in 3 miles it goes above ground to underground 2 times, with only fiber optic cables underground. Above ground is still old copper wires.

And for me icy terrain does not drop my fps to 0 for a few seconds it can be up to 2 minutes before I can move again. And it happens in any dungeon instance, trial, hes and in WoD during heralds. And it makes no difference which graphic settings I have the game at, so the only thing I can do if avoid group content.

• admiralmurdock#6219 admiralmurdock Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @audioalley said:
    > Still not good enough. I cannot solo play but a handful of instances now, thanks to my regenerative power being fractionalized and my attack power as well. I do not enjoy group play and am not here for it. This new mod seems geared to FORCE players to group. Not interested. I want the character I worked hard on for 5 years back. what I have now is a pitiful shadow of it.

I don't think developers seem to get it, everyone is trying to make a Call of Duty game. So that you can fail with all the other 10 year olds.

I want this game to appeal to the reason I originally downloaded the game, which was to play solo, with the option of playing with other people.

I want AI companions that will level besides me, I also want to be able to use a full party worth of companions, should I choose to do dungeons solo. I would also love the options that come with STO to be in this game, which are to completely customize player and AI characters alike. Excellent features in your other games should be shared.

I want a difficulty setting for dungeons, if I am able to beat this dungeon on it's hardest difficulty solo, I would like to receive a fitting reward. I don't want a watered down reward, for putting in my time and 10 times the work. Cause I have played in PC groups with Leroy Jenkin's and his cloned army and have gotten 300 times better loot for playing 2 mins compared to playing solo for an hour.

But playing 2mins with Leroy Jenkins and his cloned army, forced me into a vapeing situation, downside of playing with PC.