test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I know it's early but I will be patient.

devnullloredevnulllore Member Posts: 160 Arc User
I know it's early but I'd like some pointers on a good new Pally build for mod 16. I am not too bright with these numbers so I appreciate being allowed to pick someones brain. I was a ret pally with a good dps/tank ratio but I understand the dps end was nerrfed quite a bit so I will settle for a good tank.

Cheers,
Ulfrik Dragonsyre
Hero of Neverwinter
Retribution Paladin of the realm
Siring quality Dragons for mounts and pets

Comments

• bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User

I know it's early but I'd like some pointers on a good new Pally build for mod 16. I am not too bright with these numbers so I appreciate being allowed to pick someones brain. I was a ret pally with a good dps/tank ratio but I understand the dps end was nerrfed quite a bit so I will settle for a good tank.

One of the things that was used to justify the removal of many of the feats was "eliminating wrong choices" If you have tried and still find yourself struggling and that you can't get the class fit you, then my dear Denulllore, the fault may not be yours.
    I would cut back on calling yourself "not too bright" as i have heard some veteran paladin's having trouble with these new Dynamics as well. Look for guides by all means but don't think any lesser of yourself because we have all had the rug pulled out from beneath us when it comes to our classes.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • siomir8siomir8 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    Having been playing this MMO for over 5 years, I like to think that I have been able to craft fairly good characters using the gear on hand. Until Mod16, I have been able to adapt fairly well as each new area became accessible. Even the skirmishes and dungeons lost their challenge based solely on my character's gear level. And here we have the basic problem with MMO design.

Most players will recall games like Diablo 3 which was basically a grinder to get the best gear to gain a few more points which when applied properly make your character able to destroy everything. Or able to heal damage faster than the bosses could meet it out. The previous modules in NWO had fallen into this trap and the difference in survivability and DPS for my oldest character, a 70th lvl MoF CW from 10k to 13k was like night and day. It was going from being a one hit kill for any member of a mob to dropping mobs with spell combinations.

In Mod 16, with a higher gear score at 14.5k, this same CW, now an arcanist (I tried to make a MoF, but after some test runs was worse than useless) is back to being a one hit kill for bosses, and having to dance away from everything to avoid dying from one hit from just about anything, especially in the skirmishes. The redesign has nerfed all the character classes I've played, while stripping away the spell and ability combinations while forcing you to rely on your 'at will' spells which are woefully underpowered for anything other than the encounters in Undermountain.

While Undermountain is nice to look at, and had some potential as a more puzzle based storyline, the rest of the game is nearly unplayable. I've had MoH runs where my CW has been the top Paingiver, yet died a couple of times at the hands of the MoH. Same for my Ranger. Dread Legion has had similar outcomes. My other characters have been in the stable waiting for the conditions to stabilize.

Part of the problem in game design is how to get groups to work together when a large amount of the players are doing solo, and like to playing solo to prove that they can best the game. I won't get into the gear collecting side of things since that is more about the business model, but the game mechanics need to be standardized and kept to that standard as the game grows. You won't be able to force random players to form cohesive groups for skirmishes or dungeons without many, many hours of practice until you understand what other classes can and should do. And this frustrates the players, which also leads to the problems mentioned elsewhere in the forums about higher gear score characters carrying the lower score characters.

I don't envy the devs or the producers jobs, but they have taken one standard that was working and messed around enough to have made the imbalances all the more unbalanced. Please do not give in and make this a Diablo 3 clone, but if you make new mods, don't totally rework the basic mechanics for the players and put them on an uneven playing field.