test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

the state of dps classes now

so this mod has been live for like a month now....
been doing a few group dungeons here and there....
i play every class as well...

My general consensus is that wizard is overpowered, and is top dps now......
warlock is #2
ranger is #3
rogue is #4
arbiter cleric is #5
Paladin tank is #6
and both fighter and barbarian are tied for lowest dps

i don't feel any class needs nerfs but it does seem that wizard is disproportionately more powerful then all the other classes....and paladin tank has some strange ability to constantly spam daily powers at will in PVE or they wouldn't even be in my DPS classes list

I base these assumptions on runs i have done with players in the 20-25k range with about the same gear as i run on my 22k cleric.
just did 10 or so codg with a few different players being swapped around between runs.....a few times i was top dps....but mostly a wizard with nearly the same gear as me was doing 2x my dps or more....same with ranger and rogue....there are definitely some balance issues going on that need to be looked into with scrutiny by someone who is qualified to do this kind of thing.

thoughts?

Comments

• alamos#8020 alamos Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    What is this for bosses - do a test on boss dummy for 2 mins and I bet the results will be totally different
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

krumple01 said:

so this mod has been live for like a month now....
    been doing a few group dungeons here and there....
    i play every class as well...

My general consensus is that wizard is overpowered, and is top dps now......
    warlock is #2
    ranger is #3
    rogue is #4
    arbiter cleric is #5
    Paladin tank is #6
    and both fighter and barbarian are tied for lowest dps

i don't feel any class needs nerfs but it does seem that wizard is disproportionately more powerful then all the other classes....and paladin tank has some strange ability to constantly spam daily powers at will in PVE or they wouldn't even be in my DPS classes list

I base these assumptions on runs i have done with players in the 20-25k range with about the same gear as i run on my 22k cleric.
    just did 10 or so codg with a few different players being swapped around between runs.....a few times i was top dps....but mostly a wizard with nearly the same gear as me was doing 2x my dps or more....same with ranger and rogue....there are definitely some balance issues going on that need to be looked into with scrutiny by someone who is qualified to do this kind of thing.

thoughts?

Be careful what you say here. They have past habits of ONLY implementing nerfs and rare if ever any kind of buffing to balance a class that is lacking. They bring down the big hitters. So they will target the wizzy which is the current saving grace for most content. They will introduce a nerf to the wizzy and then follow that nerf with nerfing the warlock and so on down your list to make all the classes suck like the barbie and fighter. Then the content will become impossibly difficult to beat again.

personally i would love that. no class should have an unfair advantage
    I'm sick of seeing "lfm dps (cw)" all day everyday
    Yeah you might like it but you are missing crucial other factors. There is more to a class than just dealing damage. So they shouldn't be equal. Why? Because then you will see a shift towards the classes that not only deal damage but bring other utility.

For example if the fighter and paladin were to do the same amount of damage, the pally will begin to be requested over the fighter because of the additional utility which is healing.

Same with cleric, imagine the cleric and the wizzy dished out the same amount of damage. Do you think you would see LFM any statements in zone chat? No, they would begin to target the classes that bring additional utility. Who would want a wizard if the cleric brings more utility with the same amount of damage output?

Personally I think there is a new issue cropping up. I have been having lots of conversations with alliance members and players outside my alliance about them quit playing both cleric and paladin because they have become boring classes. The Devout Cleric suffers from divinity starvation rendering it with only 1 encounter in long fights. The damage the Devout dishes out is so little that dust hitting the monster does more damage. The arbiter is decent in damage but players will pressure players to run devout which becomes a boring heal bot. You just hit one button to either cleanse to remove debufs from whiny party members who want the debuffs removed or you are just using bastion since its so cheap party members can be as reckless as they want and blame the cleric if they die. So players are switching their main cleric or paladin for another class.

Its hard to get any alliance members to run paladin or cleric but even going outside the alliance it is still just as difficult to find them.

• fritz#6515 fritz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Only way to fairly compare the dps of classes is based on their performances in LOMM since it is not scaled and theoretically on their powers tab. Based on this, I would put warlock and barb for a tie in 4th place and rogue should be definitely #1 or #2 while the rest of this list seems ok to me. Rogue has insane magnitudes on their encounters and dailies with ok cooldowns. Couple this with their crazy tab ability you will get a top dps class out of no where. The only decent thing about warlock dps is cooldown reduction, however there is no depth in encounter powers list so you cannot swap anything around and the powers you are forced to use are mostly low magnitude, low impact, long cast time and overall terrible(see:Hellfire Ring). Dailies are no different, tc(800) for single target and accursed souls(750) for aoe is just the best setup, unfortunately the magnitude on BoH and GoH do not allow us to have a discussion here. Compare these to barb and rogue dailies...

Unfortunately the low magnitudes, clunky powers and zero depth in our encounter roster are not even the worst things about warlock dps. It is our tab, soul scorch. Soul scorch is such a terrible power that it eats up two of our feats to make it somewhat useful in cooldown reduction. While rogue and barb tabs are just better than soul scorch, wizard tab is strictly better than warlock tab since they can pick whichever power to slot there and it receives a buff whereas soul scorch is just a crippled encounter power. Warlock's curse was unique amongst other tab abilities and was a really good one too, mod 16 basically forces warlocks to use this abomination called soul scorch. Overall, people are trying hard to make their warlock work but I do think that as people begin to realize how bad warlock dps is in mod 16, fewer people even keep playing it and most, like me, will start gearing up a wizard or a rogue to feel like an actual dps again.

Only way to fairly compare the dps of classes is based on their performances in LOMM since it is not scaled and theoretically on their powers tab. Based on this, I would put warlock and barb for a tie in 4th place and rogue should be definitely #1 or #2 while the rest of this list seems ok to me. Rogue has insane magnitudes on their encounters and dailies with ok cooldowns. Couple this with their crazy tab ability you will get a top dps class out of no where. The only decent thing about warlock dps is cooldown reduction, however there is no depth in encounter powers list so you cannot swap anything around and the powers you are forced to use are mostly low magnitude, low impact, long cast time and overall terrible(see:Hellfire Ring). Dailies are no different, tc(800) for single target and accursed souls(750) for aoe is just the best setup, unfortunately the magnitude on BoH and GoH do not allow us to have a discussion here. Compare these to barb and rogue dailies...

Unfortunately the low magnitudes, clunky powers and zero depth in our encounter roster are not even the worst things about warlock dps. It is our tab, soul scorch. Soul scorch is such a terrible power that it eats up two of our feats to make it somewhat useful in cooldown reduction. While rogue and barb tabs are just better than soul scorch, wizard tab is strictly better than warlock tab since they can pick whichever power to slot there and it receives a buff whereas soul scorch is just a crippled encounter power. Warlock's curse was unique amongst other tab abilities and was a really good one too, mod 16 basically forces warlocks to use this abomination called soul scorch. Overall, people are trying hard to make their warlock work but I do think that as people begin to realize how bad warlock dps is in mod 16, fewer people even keep playing it and most, like me, will start gearing up a wizard or a rogue to feel like an actual dps again.

I run a lot of Lomm and from my experience I have seen warlock top the paingiver even with a wizzy in the party. But the reason this is due to that warlock using mod 15 and mod 14 and older items not even caring about item level or stats since they are capped through other means. He is going purely on bonuses that work well with the warlock encounters. I think this is silly that for a warlock to be effective they need to use older gear and completely ignore new gear. It proves the point that the new gear was thought out by someone who didn't know anything about the game.

• fritz#6515 fritz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > But the reason this is due to that warlock using mod 15 and mod 14 and older items not even caring about item level or stats since they are capped through other means. He is going purely on bonuses that work well with the warlock encounters.

I do the same thing actually but any class can do that and benefit pretty much the same from those gear. New gear, new bonuses are not actually new imo, they seem to be recycled HAMSTER.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    At first, Castle Never, CODG and others are no choice to match dps, due to scaling and due to phases that last 3-4 seconds (CODG) imo.

My observation so far running Lomm.
    Classes using: https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Envenomed_Storyteller's_Journal and sometimes this on top https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Doohickey > most class using anything else, since Chartilifax aura deals up to 140k ticks, nothing any of my aoe-encounterpower can deal and that pocketpet is dealing also bigger numbers than my aoe-encounter too !

Single target:
    All classes are close to each other at singel-target output, Wizard significant ahead imo, followed by TR > followed by warlock/GWF/Hunter

AOE:
    Again, significant difference using a journal, situationally dealing up to 70% of all dps every 60 sec., plus nearly adding a second daily on top, plus a pocketpet doing better aoe than my aoe-encounter deal. Some classes seem to work well with companions active bonus applying weapon damage bonus, some don´t. Substracting all those variables I would estimate something like this
    Hunter > Wizard/GWF/TR> Warlock

A paladin with a broken feat called Burning Vengeance https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Burning_Vengeance can be better in trash clearing than some classes, having endless Dailies and spamming https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Radiant_Charge every 10 seconds, same as having an aoe with 600 magnitude and a low CD on top-> best aoe-encounter my main got is a power called Hellfire Ring and only works if mobs stay inside at -> 255 magnitude.

I won´t say devs did a bad job concerning balance, but there are some smaller disbalances and some bigger ones to discuss beside some tools that are either bugged or overpowered af.
    I can run my class at any content and I have no issue dealing good dps, not top but good.
    My biggest concern atm is the small choice I got in mod 16 due to so many feats, classfeature and power I can´t pick at all, due to missing feedback and will on devs side to "fix" stuff before release (we all recognized the huge disbalance in class feadback on preview), same that warlock is a 2. degree healer at best and far below the abilities a paladin or DC can show up with. The class is inable to run endcontent in a compareable way, so I stopped trying.
    Maybe this is intentional and devs should simply state: "We decided to give warlock a dps role at first, healer role is not intended to match with classes like OP and DC, since those classes have a innate role in D&D to be effective healer, warlock not that much"
    I am fine with a statement like that, so I can stop thinking about that role and what went wrong and maybe in 5 years they gonna switch the class into dps/dps.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited May 2019

At first, Castle Never, CODG and others are no choice to match dps, due to scaling and due to phases that last 3-4 seconds (CODG) imo.

Classes using: https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Envenomed_Storyteller's_Journal and sometimes this on top https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Doohickey > most class using anything else, since Chartilifax aura deals up to 140k ticks, nothing any of my encounterpower can deal and that pocketpet is dealing also bigger numbers than my encounter do.

Single target:
    All classes are close to each other at singel-target output, Wizard significant ahead imo, followed by TR > followed by warlock/GWF/Hunter

AOE:
    Again, significant difference using a journal, situationally dealing up to 70% of all dps every 60 sec., plus nearly adding a second daily on top, plus a pocketpet doing better aoe than my encounter deal. Some classes seem to work well with companions active bonus applying weapon damage bonus, some don´t. Substracting all those variables I would estimate something like this
    Hunter > Wizard/GWF > TR/Warlock

A paladin with a broken feat called Burning Vengeance https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Burning_Vengeance can be better than some classes, having endless Dailies and spamming https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Radiant_Charge every 10 seconds, same as having an aoe with 600 magnitude and a low CD on top-> best aoe-encounter my main got is a power called Hellfire Ring and only works if mobs stay inside at -> 255 magnitude.

I won´t say devs did a bad job concerning balance, but there are some smaller disbalances and some bigger ones to discuss beside some tools that are either bugged or overpowered af.
    I can run my class at any content and I have no issue dealing good dps, not top but good.
    My biggest concern atm is the small choice I got in mod 16 due to so many feats, classfeature and power I can´t pick at all, due to missing feedback and will on devs side to "fix" stuff before release (we all recognized the huge disbalance in class feadback on preview), same that warlock is a 2. degree healer at best and far below the abilities a paladin or DC can show up with. The class is inable to run endcontent in a compareable way, so I stopped trying.

Classes using: https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Envenomed_Storyteller's_Journal and sometimes this on top https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Doohickey > most class using anything else, since Chartilifax aura deals up to 140k ticks, nothing any of my aoe-encounterpower can deal and that pocketpet is dealing also bigger numbers than my aoe-encounter too !

Single target:

AOE:
    Again, significant difference using a journal, situationally dealing up to 70% of all dps every 60 sec., plus nearly adding a second daily on top, plus a pocketpet doing better aoe than my aoe-encounter deal. Some classes seem to work well with companions active bonus applying weapon damage bonus, some don´t. Substracting all those variables I would estimate something like this
    Hunter > Wizard/GWF > TR/Warlock

A paladin with a broken feat called Burning Vengeance https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Burning_Vengeance can be better in trash clearing than some classes, having endless Dailies and spamming https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Radiant_Charge every 10 seconds, same as having an aoe with 600 magnitude and a low CD on top-> best aoe-encounter my main got is a power called Hellfire Ring and only works if mobs stay inside at -> 255 magnitude.

Maybe this is intentional and devs should simply state: "We decided to give warlock a dps role at first, healer role is not intended to match with classes like OP and DC, since those classes have a innate role in D&D to be effective healer, warlock not that much"
    I am fine with a statement like that, so I can stop thinking about that role and what went wrong and maybe in 5 years they gonna switch the class into dps/dps.

so cleric doesn't even have a place on your dps list.....charming
    I never run beside a dps DC, that´s why. I only read about high numbers and my DC can dish out 570k crits at fully charged Forgemaster with HAMSTER gear at 100k power and no multiplier-gear slotted.
    If I scale this up, a good perfoming dps DC should deal like 1 mio Forgemaster-hits and maybe beat some of those classes above, same as Searing Javelin is a pretty strong aoe 720mag charged, can´t tell since never met.
    PS: that Arbiter Path can revover Divinity pretty fast due to Sudden Verdict , same as DL (feated) + Forgemaster are the biggest single target encounter in game actually dealing 1050 and 1200 mag hits at fully pips (2-3x the magnitude of warlocks biggest encounter 400-600) but they need to be charged.
    * I think @asterdahl did a pretty good job, where Fighter, paladin, DC and Barbarian were a more challenging task to solve in terms of class overhaul and balance... near impossible to not get "burried" by community after launch.

in your hypothetical situation how does the dps cleric bring any more utility then the wizard? bastion? you lose 1 dps encounter by even slotting bastion as arbiter, it doesnt build judgement either, and the cost is half your divinity per cast, so not only are you doing roughly 30% less damage by slotting it, you are killing your divinity if you use it and therefore bringing your dps down to almost nothing until you can regain some divinity.

i wouldnt mind if it was 10% or even 20% more damage, but when half the dps classes are doing 2x my dps with the same fricking gear or worse gear then i have, I see a problem.

and thats sad to hear kyeva, at least you still play cleric <3
    paladin was my main for the first year i played but i eventually bought enough slots to try all the classes, i fell in love with DC and its been my main ever since......and even now my cleric and paladin are my main 2 toons....though day by day the warlock is becoming more appealing because the damage is so disproportionate to my cleric as dps, but it's not enough for me to switch mains.....they would have to remove cleric from the game before i did that! </p>

I have one of each class, currently my cleric is the only one that is at level 80 and can consistently run LoMM as a medic. I would never claim I am the best cleric out there, but I think I have earned a spot in the respected category, although you could find some players out there who would argue just the opposite.

Anyway I have spent the last few days wondering which other one of my alts I should play for a while. Take a break from the cleric, but then I realized why I can't decide. They all have their campaigns done, they have all their boons, all they need is to be taken through the new campaign and geared which my cleric has been collecting gear for them. But then I realize I have no incentive to run any of them. I will just be another cleric who swaps class and never looks back because its becoming incredibly boring being a heal bot.

I even tried to have ONE goal which was to get a party through LoMM with no deaths. My closest run was 2 total deaths and have the screen to prove it. That was the best I could do despite the fact that I was one of those deaths and it occurred on the first boss fight which I rarely if ever die on.

Anyways I have given up on trying to have a zero death run of Lomm and the last two days I get asked to go to lomm and I go but I notice that while I'm playing I just dont care to heal. I know I am annoying my party but it's just no longer fun to run cleric. I even have past screens of Castle Ravenloft where I was 2nd place on the paingiver as an ACdc. But I realize the days of cleric dealing damage and healing are long gone. It's only one or the other. Devout damage is terrible that I can't even look at the paingiver list. I know, I know, I hear the counter arguments, Devout are not meant to be damage dealers, deal with it. I hear you but it's becoming so boring to be a heal bot. The devout offers nothing other than healing, no buffing, nothing. At least in mod 15 I could measure a bit of success on my ability to maintain buffs on the party and healing was just a laughable side bonus.

I have no desire to play any of my alts. I have tried to log them in multiple times, thinking I'll just run them through the new campaign but I can't even get them out of PE before I find myself reloging onto cleric to respond to a request to run LoMM.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Some wizards figured soon how to maximize their build. Most are experienced players that survived 3 complete class revamp and lots of nerfs. They are used to adapt. And some dos learn fast.

Sometimes i run with other cws and finish LoMM with double or triple their dmg.

I found some very good rogues, warlocks, Rangers and sometimes 1 good barbarian.

I think if you take the best of the best players with same equipment. The didderence un DPS would be very small.

People ask all time to give your build and other things, most are lost because there arent still guides and detailed info of M16.

Most people cant learn by themselves and then come to the forum asking for nerfs. This was allways the same since game released.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User
    ReaIIy? if you can't buiId your cIass correctIy then your way out is to caII for nerfs?

Wizards are in a way good baIanced spot right now, and arcanist need a bit improvement for his AoE portion.
    MyseIf, a wizard, have found a way to max my buiIds as i tested on preview and as others have said here, end game pIayers that know what they are doing.

What cIass are you?
    Because in my experience, I Have found good barbarians, rogues, rangers, warIocks and even arbiters (surprised by this) that can match my dps. What you don't know, is, that wizards are too dependant on criticaI chance to deaI damage, because their damage magnitudes are so Iow compared to the rest of dps cIasses, except warIock. I can't mention the same for guardian dps, even with higher magnitudes, they remain 3rd in my charts. But this doesnt happen with barbarian, rogues, and speciaIIy rangers, who have Iowest CooIdowns that can even be further decreased by feats, and decent magnitude powers happen every 3-5 secs?

So don't say wizards are overpowered when you don't know the struggIe, we have Iong cooIdowns and our best encounter deaIs 475 damage, say that to any other dps (except warIock) with magnitudes higher than 600. Remove the criticaI in a wizard and u wiII see them in the bottoms of undermountain.

its funny all you wizards jump in with all this "we're endgame players and we played on preview so we had time to build right"
    i was on preview day 1, and I've built my cleric accordingly, classes are not balanced.

Arbiters are not pure dps cIasses and i own a cIeric too, i think the judgement mechanic is a faiI, aIso Iike wizards, they have Iong cd, so i give u that, but dont caII for nerfs if what ur cIass needs is a adjustment and a boost to CD and that annoying mechanic aIong divinity.

• isurk#9289 isurk Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2019

So don't say wizards are overpowered

CW OP. Class is broken.

Cloud 2,7 mio.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User

its funny all you wizards jump in with all this "we're endgame players and we played on preview so we had time to build right"
    i was on preview day 1, and I've built my cleric accordingly, classes are not balanced.

Arbiters are not pure dps cIasses and i own a cIeric too, i think the judgement mechanic is a faiI, aIso Iike wizards, they have Iong cd, so i give u that, but dont caII for nerfs if what ur cIass needs is a adjustment and a boost to CD and that annoying mechanic aIong divinity.

Arbiters are supposed to be equally competitive with other DPS paths.

Maybe if they finally remove Bastion of Health from Arbiter like they should have done in the beginning, players will stop making so many references to "pure" DPS vs. not.

I even see players saying that Wizard shouldn't deal as much damage as other DPS because they aren't "pure". I think a lot of people missed the memo that Wizards haven't been desirable for their control functions for years.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

So don't say wizards are overpowered

CW OP. Class is broken.

Cloud 2,7 mio.
    That is definiteIy something that needs to be Iooked into, I've never seen my at wiIIs deaIing that amount of dmg. My best criticaI was from daiIy ICE KNIFE and was around 700k

theres nothing wrong with my class, yours is OP, it needs a nerf, deal with it
    Nope, it isnt, deaI with it ^^
    vorphied said:

Arbiters are supposed to be equally competitive with other DPS paths.

Maybe if they finally remove Bastion of Health from Arbiter like they should have done in the beginning, players will stop making so many references to "pure" DPS vs. not.

I even see players saying that Wizard shouldn't deal as much damage as other DPS because they aren't "pure". I think a lot of people missed the memo that Wizards haven't been desirable for their control functions for years.
    I read somewhere that they indeed shouId be equaIIy matched to other dps cIasses, but there are 3 cIasses that are pure dps, i beIieve they shound stand over not pure ones Now, as I mentioned before, if we put aII cIasses in a run with not criticaI chance at aII, u wiII see wizard at the Iast tier You want us nerfed? ok, then ask to devs to adjust "criticaI based feat and passives for Iower vaIues" and in compensation, give us most of our encounters between 8-12 secs CD and with 600-700 magnitudes each, just Iike happen with the rest of dps cIasses, except warIocks, IoI.