test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Set of The Watcher Is Unobtainable

Comments

• silvertailsilvertail Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    found this today while running ME's could run around quite a bit before I fell off and died. If you run to far in either direction you die.
    stealth is survival skills (and not tanking skills, that is really different)
    stealth is damage
    stealth is mobility
    stealth is everything
    everything is stealth
    Stealth make TR OP, but lack of stealth make TR useless.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    @mindache said:
    > This is the conversation between Vanrak and Glyster in Vanrakdoom (I'm not sure if this is the right order though):
    >
    > 1. I am embarking on a dangerous quest to the black jungles. Will you join me? We are the best of friends. Glyster, are we not?
    > 2. Vanrak, I am your friend, listen to me. She is using the pain of your father's death to lead you down the darkest of all paths. What have we to fear from darkness, you and I? Undermountain is where we belong. It calls to us - can't you hear that?
    > 3. Umbraxakar, give these fools the death they deserve.
    > 4. Is this the legacy of Vanrak Moonstar? Is this all Shar has to offer? I have drunk my fill of darkness old friend. This is not the fate either of us deserved... in darkness we have lost our way. Nooo!
    >
    > As far as I know there are 4 essences: Essence of Despair, Essence of Longing, Essence of Regret and Essence of Sorrow. Maybe we could match each essence with each of these memories. I don't know if it leads somewhere though. :D

These locations are also named in the quest where you clear them. (I will not get back there for a couple of days.)
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • dontez1dontez1 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    mindache said:

This is the conversation between Vanrak and Glyster in Vanrakdoom (I'm not sure if this is the right order though):

1. I am embarking on a dangerous quest to the black jungles. Will you join me? We are the best of friends. Glyster, are we not?
    2. Vanrak, I am your friend, listen to me. She is using the pain of your father's death to lead you down the darkest of all paths. What have we to fear from darkness, you and I? Undermountain is where we belong. It calls to us - can't you hear that?
    3. Umbraxakar, give these fools the death they deserve.
    4. Is this the legacy of Vanrak Moonstar? Is this all Shar has to offer? I have drunk my fill of darkness old friend. This is not the fate either of us deserved... in darkness we have lost our way. Nooo!

As far as I know there are 4 essences: Essence of Despair, Essence of Longing, Essence of Regret and Essence of Sorrow. Maybe we could match each essence with each of these memories. I don't know if it leads somewhere though. :D

I tried exactly this earlier today.. I ran around Vanrakdoom for a few hrs trying to find where the dragons were to use the essences there.. No luck though... It seemed promising.. I've tried quite a few places though..
  • gormenghast1gormenghast1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 88 Arc User
    There has been quite a lot of brainstorming lately, with plenty of theories that are fun to read but have unfortunately started to stretch a bit too far to be plausible. We have two solid points to work on since tuesday's stream, which should be focused upon to find a solution to the riddle.

The first is that someone, in the first 5 pages and a half of this thread, has gotten near whatever leads to the Watcher's Set riddle solution; that should be the starting point to focus on in order to avoid theories growing too wild and distant from the valid ones.

The second one is the hint slipped from Julia about "digging around and looking at things that people, certain characters tell you". Together with some people interested in solving this mystery, we've done a bit of reasoning over this and there are some interesting points to it. There has to be at least a hint in some NPC's dialogue, the obvious and easy ones to consider being all the NPCs in the Yawning Portal. Running through each and every dialogue of the NPCs there doesn't give big leads though, just some foggy remarks by Bonnie which, all considered, are not so useful. There are plenty of NPCs in NW though, so it could be useful to widen the search and consider talking with people all around other areas; the Underdark is connected lorewise to Undermountain, many scholars or peculiar characters can know something related those exploration specific creatures and, if I were to drop a hint about a secret questline/achievement/rare item in a MMORPG, I would consider also dropping a new NPC in a remote area and wait for the first player that finds him/her. There are few interesting NPCs in the questing areas of UM too, including the Vanrak/Umbraxxar apparition in Vanrakdoom (which have been considered in the first 5 pages of this thread, so they could very well be the "warm" lead we're looking for).

Talking to all NPCs in NW is a huge endeavour and hardly doable by one or two players; other than focusing only on UM related areas, if could be worthy going through dialogues with characters in other areas or looking around to see if some new face has shown up since mod 16 dropped, so to listen to what they say. Since it has been confirmed in the stream that there has been a check for those items to be actually obtainable in game and so they are even now, it's definitely not pointless to start digging seriously and get the lead we're all looking for.
    By the way, "the eye" is a recurring element in dialogues, the Watcher's set description and the beholder concept. It is incidentally also the alias of the Xanathar, the kingpin beholder ruling over all the Xanathar guild found around in Undermountain. The Eye controls all beholders in Undermountain other than the whole Xanathar's thieves guild and it's obviously very secretive; his lair is in Skullport, a dark reflection of the resplendent city of Waterdeep under which it lies and which is part of one of the upper levels in Undermountain.

For more info about Xanathar it could be useful to check this wiki: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Xanathar

- Bonnie says "let me just say that there's more to me that meets the eye". Could she be an agent of Xanathar's guild?
    - The Watcher Set description states: "Crafted with gold in the resemblance of a beholder, this weapons are sure to catch one's eye".
    - The Xanathar guild is present in a large part of the Catacombs.
    - Some expeditions are inhabited by Xanathar guild thugs and beholders.
    - The Xanathar guild traffics in stolen goods, so high ranking officers could very well be in possession of very valuable items.
    - Skullport is one of the main hubs in Undermountain but there isn't a single reference to it anywhere in Undermountain. Or is it?

Just sharing a possible lead.

• vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User

The first is that someone, in the first 5 pages and a half of this thread, has gotten near whatever leads to the Watcher's Set riddle solution; that should be the starting point to focus on in order to avoid theories growing too wild and distant from the valid ones.

How do you know this specifically? Was it mentioned in the stream?
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    vordayn said:

How do you know this specifically? Was it mentioned in the stream?

From min 6:50 in the stream recording.
  • mat656mat656 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    what about volothamp geddarm in the YP he "talk on screen" and,sorry if i write badly i'm translating from italian,say something like this

my friend Wakanga O'tamu (and we know that Obaya Uday work for the prince)
    i started my second book
    someone told me that is dangerous to go alone
    and fame and riches will come

so i was thiking ME with 2 rune in a solo run (maybe with gold rune?)
    thx for the reading maybe is a totaly wrong guess but we never know
  • bungabunga#5136 bungabunga Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    No1 has mentioned about the Runic distiller. I've tried using it few times but nothing special.

Also there's a gold ingot thingy we can buy from NPC where you get potions. Kinda weird.

NPC I assume have to be in mountain maybe pe. If it's 'anywhere' then will take forever.

I, among others have completed the armor quests and haven't had anything 'weird' happen etc.

I notice that inside MEs sometimes there's a blue effect on screen edge, similar to STK but darker, I notice it was there during a ME and after I went to go for the next one it was still there, however it disappeared once I entered a rune (maybe I entered the wrong one?)

I spoke to 'all npc' that I could find.

There are some broken side quests that you drop from 'rare mobs' most noticeable one is the trex.

The few npcs that give 'clues' talk about summoning or luring stuff out. However during the campaign we weren't given/found objects that can lure anything out.

Managed to organize runic encounter with 12 ppl, after 40mins we got a boss, it went away, (they tend to disappear when too many adds are engaged/killed) so in the next encounter everyone listened and we only hit boss, the drop was nothing special. Just a runic piece to restore that you can find anywhere else.

Related or not, I want know what's inside the ME entrance box.
  • finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    It is stated that this weapon set is in game, it only has to be found... With other words it's not a bug.
    I think that this post shouldn't belong in the Bug section, but in Discussion section instead.
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    If the answer actually was already hinted at in the first 6 pages then it can't be linked to Xanathar cause nobody mentioned it.

IMO the most solid lead seems to be to try and interact in some way or do something inside the shadowfell bubbles found in master expeditions.

However, I don't see any link between the shadowfell and beholders, which undoubtedly is the central theme of this easter egg hunt.

I just hope that "mastering" expeditions doesn't mean completing the "restore a piece of armor" quest given by Sinye. I'm certainly not going to farm 1200 resonances just to complete a quest, that's silly.
    artifleur said:

If the answer actually was already hinted at in the first 6 pages then it can't be linked to Xanathar cause nobody mentioned it.

However, I don't see any link between the shadowfell and beholders, which undoubtedly is the central theme of this easter egg hunt.

You even mentioned the obvious beholder theme of the set and can't see the connection with one of the largest secret thieves guild mainly know for how many beholders are in their ranks (not counting the boss which is a beholder named "The Eye") and which are present as mobs in many parts of Undermountain?

Still I think it's worth investigating every possible trail, so if you feel that the shadowfell pockets are more than one of the random flavour effects found in expeditions you could investigate further. I just don't think runic combinations will have any weight (they don't with Alabaster Set and it's just too random to have a lick of sense), neither the questline related to the chest drops or armor restoration. It's all about summonable hidden monsters, it has been written plainly in the dev blog and we should at least stick to what's known to us.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    It can be some kind of rune combination. But different in every ME, so nobody did it yet because is changing. If thats the case, there should be some hint in the initial room but I dont know how this will be connected to an NPC
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • beigeman#7856 beigeman Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    just finished an me with 1 rage rune/rune bane active.. full pty.. and the final boss was a beholder(arena) who said ' i see you' as we entered combat
  • bungabunga#5136 bungabunga Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    > @beigeman#7856 said:
    > just finished an me with 1 rage rune/rune bane active.. full pty.. and the final boss was a beholder(arena) who said ' i see you' as we entered combat

If you start combat with an invisibility potion he doesn't say anything. :(
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User

just finished an me with 1 rage rune/rune bane active.. full pty.. and the final boss was a beholder(arena) who said ' i see you' as we entered combat

It’s a standard line for beholders that have Combat chat.

- Bonnie says "let me just say that there's more to me that meets the eye". Could she be an agent of Xanathar's guild?

Doesn’t Bonnie have a similar quip about the Envoy when you first talk to Bonnie?
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    First of all, there is no riddle to solve, finding the puzzle is an investigation in and of itself. The hooks for this "quest" weren't very well thought out, no one even knew there was a puzzle to be solved until this thread came about because people started thinking the set was unavailable for one reason or another.

It's like telling a mouse they can have their cheese once they get out of the maze, and then hiding the maze from them entirely. Htf is the mouse supposed to solve a maze he can't get to?

• tjkernan#7315 tjkernan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I also think the NPC we are looking for is outside of Undermountain, and started looking at other areas for info...and then it occurred to me this morning...don't we have an entire party of Beholder NPC's in this game we can talk to? I haven't visited the AI campaign since Undermountain started...apparently, after maint is over and I run my ME's, I am going to a Beholder party...
  • hpfireman#6695 hpfireman Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Awakening. Following the "quenching" theme on the Essense of Sorrow...items in case its related, I tried opening the unawakened items in Alastar's presence on the hill in Slippery Slope and near the broken bridges he appears by in Catacombs and Island of Bulba Slop (had a guildie with the quest but he doesn't seem to spawn from within the island instance just looking at it from Slippery). In all cases you cant stand close to him he pushes you away.

The bridge in Catacombs allows you to jump to the broken foundation but the one to the Island has a barrier.
  • szerevaxszerevax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    It's my best screenshot of flying pages around Halaster (it's not easy to do that). I think it's draconic language script from d&d lore, but i don't know it is translatable. May be a hint for searching watcher weapon or it's only developer's trolling.

• greenwitch#1512 greenwitch Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    If it is available after Mod 16 is released, if you think about it, consoles still haven't gotten Mod 16, so that means Mod 16 isnt fully released. So, in that theory, the Watcher Set wont be found until after consoles get the Mod. So that PC players doesnt ruin the hunt for this Easter Egg to the console players.
  • beigeman#7856 beigeman Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    i wonder if you need a stack of 5 or 10 to do anything with the essences ? would fit in with the grind mentality.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

i wonder if you need a stack of 5 or 10 to do anything with the essences ? would fit in with the grind mentality.

i believe you need at least one of each, but i dont think is a hoard thing...
  • blag001blag001 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    szerevax said:

It's my best screenshot of flying pages around Halaster (it's not easy to do that). I think it's draconic language script from d&d lore, but i don't know it is translatable. May be a hint for searching watcher weapon or it's only developer's trolling.

I don't believe the solution is at that deep... I'ts simple like a hiden place or interacting with 2 spots at same time.

And we supose that the thing is related to hunting something at MEs...
    MEs are random maps, so makes sense that all maps should have this "trigger", otherwise we could end up with 3 runs with no chance of a "hunt".
    Which makes me think that it's in the beggining of ME, or It's not related with a specific place but an item, or a NPC that will send you to a place for "hunt", or mostly of us are wrong and its not at MEs...
  • hamadi01hamadi01 Member Posts: 15 Arc User

I also think the NPC we are looking for is outside of Undermountain, and started looking at other areas for info...and then it occurred to me this morning...don't we have an entire party of Beholder NPC's in this game we can talk to? I haven't visited the AI campaign since Undermountain started...apparently, after maint is over and I run my ME's, I am going to a Beholder party...

I did it, found nothing useful. Did you?
  • farhannaje#7907 farhannaje Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Ok some guild members drop weapon from some boss you summon inside ME with Essence, not sure which type and how but here is the pic. It BOA weapon can be of other class too.

https://imgur.com/a/sAv3j56
  • szerevaxszerevax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    Something happens. Kill only one boss. Only give 8 campaign currencies. 2 boss have constant immunity.

• rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    Long time since i saw those shade dudes, to be honest i think i only found them on Preview...
    any tip to spawn those dudes ?