test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stat Caps and Scaling

ves#0608 ves Member Posts: 12 Arc User
I am not sure why this is seemingly so difficult for the developers to figure out and implement What ever your caps at level 80 are percentage wise be it 100% or 90% or 50% Its a pretty simple math formula to make those percentages the same at level 70 or even level 60 content. If you are capped at a stat on lvl 80 you dam well better be capped on that stat at 70. It really is that simple.

For example if the stat cap for critical avoidance is 65000 at level 80 and you have 66000 you are capped at 100%
If the stat cap for critical avoidance at lvl 70 is 45000 you are still capped at 100%

If the defense cap at level 80 is 65000 and you have 50000 you are at 83.33% of cap
So at level 70 no matter what the cap you are still at 83.33% of cap and so on for lvl 60, 50 etc.

Note this is only for the stats and counter stats, weapon damage I believe is calculated differently so would need to be scaled slightly differently.

Fixing the stats counter-stats scaling would go a long way to healing a lot of the brokenness currently in the game.

Just my 2 cents

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    ves#0608 said:

I am not sure why this is seemingly so difficult for the developers to figure out and implement

It's not the issue that they cannot do it. They do not want to. This has been suggested multiple times, but it has been made perfectly clear that the intended behaviour is that for example even if you are at stat cap at L8, you are not meant to be at stat cap max scaled-down content.

It is working as intended.

Just boycott all scaled down content and spend the time you save on something else.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • ves#0608 ves Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Its makes perfect sense if you are stat capped at a lower level that you wont be stat capped against higher level foes; thats how it worked before mod 16(different stats but same principle), but it makes zero sense if you are stat capped at higher level content but not at lower level content. All they are really doing is making sure old content dies which is fine if they are planning to create a lot of newer lvl 80 content but I don't see that happening.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    OP: I disagree. I feel that even for lvl 80 char it should be easier to reach the cap in the lower level content.

If the cap to some stat is on map lvl 70 "45k" and your char manages to collect 45k, you should reach the cap - not have your stats magically halved.
    Your proposed way retains the uninvited beauty of suddenly getting worse on level up, but in my eyes that is actually the real thing that needs to go away.
  • thestiathestia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 296 Arc User
    Another problem with this is that Mr. Foss has stated that only the last two modules will not be scaled. That means that in mod 18 even level 80 dungeons will be scaled.
    rikitaki: No what I said was if you are capped at 80 then doing lower level content you should be capped as well. If you are not capped at 80 what ever percentage of the cap you are at should reflect the same percentage you are missing from the cap when doing lvl 70 content.

The only variable I see is weapon damage and possible enchants as I am not sure how they scale those.
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Yeah, imagine if/when they scale LoMM with the current scaling implementation O_O

Well, I get your point, but have an example: you are lvl 70 and by means of enchantments you will reach stat cap of 45k in your level 70 content. Then you level up - your enchants get scaled down and suddenly you are no longer capped on level 70 content, you are half way through. (exaggerating, I hope)

I understand that you say: keep percentage of the hardest reachable cap. But that will not cure such drop! There are still scenarios you become less proficient on level up. (you levelled-up, so the new 71 level cap is higher - and your stats suddenly drop due to the scaling. So in the same content with the same gear just because levelling-up you are no longer reaching the cap)
    As well it does not make sense that it would take the same amount of stats on your char to be capped in lower level content with much lower stat cap.
    I guess - whatever, level the field and once you reach lvl 80 make everything stat wise the same difficulty (your proposal?), but I do not get why the same stuff you are playing suddenly gets harder on level up. I mean, if something, most of us probably dream of getting stronger, not senile.
    I can see where leveling from 70 to 80 where you are in no mans land until you hit 80. But you should be replacing some gear along the way as well and then once you hit 80 pretty much all your gear will get replaced after a time which should bring you easily to level caps for most of the stats. After you get a bunch of level 80 gear the only thing to do is start tweaking your stats to push Power and Combat advantage as high as possible while keeping your other stats at cap.

The present system is a complete wreck and lvl 70 content has already started to become ghost towns, whats the point with great lvl 80 gear and you get wrecked by lvl 70 trash. Pretty pathetic and shortsighted of them not to see how this will play out. One trick ponies are only fun for a little bit then folks will move on.
    edited May 2019
    I still feel I did not present my point correctly.
    We are not talking here about how difficult a content should be, but how hard it is to reach the easiest setting.
    How easy a content can get is set by capping, that means for example 50 % critical is the best you can do and you cannot pass that number. You can cap many things and I think the only uncapped attributes in the game now are HP, Power and weapon damage.
    But we are not talking about that, we are talking about scaling. And scaling is technically how hard it is for player to reach a certain number in accordance to the level.
    Current version behaves: if your actual level is higher then the level of content, it is practically impossible to reach the cap number.
    Your proposition behaves: on level 80 it is equally difficult to reach any cap number – be it 1 or 100000.

What I think: both cases are addressing a wrong issue. If you want to limit how easy a dungeon can get, you have to play with the actual cap, not what number will reach it. Limit the maximums, in this case probably the rest - HP, Power and weapon damage.
    Don't penalise player for levelling up. Set how easy the content can get, don't create some weird equation how different levels have to use different ways to reach the same numbers.
    Post edited by rikitaki on
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    adinosii said:

ves#0608 said:

I am not sure why this is seemingly so difficult for the developers to figure out and implement

It's not the issue that they cannot do it. They do not want to. This has been suggested multiple times, but it has been made perfectly clear that the intended behaviour is that for example even if you are at stat cap at L8, you are not meant to be at stat cap max scaled-down content.

It is working as intended.

Just boycott all scaled down content and spend the time you save on something else.
    agreed but i dont know how much time i wil play after i get my alabaster sets on all toons, 4 toons on Master expeditions is starting to get boring

Now a bit off topic here sorry:
    @adinosii i couldnt pass without saying that your signature is, in my opinion, the most perfect example for the problemens on this mod for those that tested on preview...

again with some tweeks :p

"What we've got here is failure to communicate.
    Some dev's you just can't reach...
    So, you get what we had here last mod, which is the way he wants it!
    Well, he gets it!
    N' I don't like it any more than you men." *

also a really good song...