test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[UPDATE] PC Performance Issues (Lag) Update

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
edited May 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
Update - May 9

We will be doing another build tomorrow that will include additional steps to address the lag.

Greetings Adventurers,

During yesterdays stream we mentioned we were aware of performance issues (lag) and were working on addressing them. In order to keep builds as risk-free as possible, we are spacing out performance fixes over several patches. Tomorrow's build will include one of the fixes to address lag spikes and we are aiming to include additional fixes in subsequent builds. These fixes will be noted in patch notes under Performance and Stability.
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    artifleur said:

Fixing Immolation Spirits would be a good start I think. Some maps have hundreds of them.

Yeah they are all over Undermountain...

BTW it's really nice to see the devs working to fix some lag issues.
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • drumon88drumon88 Member Posts: 142 Arc User

artifleur said:

Fixing Immolation Spirits would be a good start I think. Some maps have hundreds of them.

This morning there was a field of probably several hundred in front of the PE bank. Even with only 17 people in the instance I couldn't move at all, any time I tried to go anywhere I'd rubberband back to the bank after about 30 seconds. Had to relog to a different character and hope when I logged back in on that one I was in a different map of PE because I couldn't even get to a door or make the signpost work.
  • hades112#2205 hades112 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Serious lag has been an issue ever since the patch came out. Several times I am getting killed or hurt because the server creatures are reacting faster than me combined with my PC. Either that or I am bouncing off stuff or free falling off cliffs.
  • award9award9 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 87 Arc User
    My favorite is jumping down the well in Yawning Portal and dying instead of zoning into Catacombs.
  • drizztdur78drizztdur78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    some ppl having general connectivity issues since last weeks patch,not lag related.pls make sure its being looked into aswell @nitocris83.
    ppl randomly disconnect - no game crash - to login screen.when logging back in it takes significantly longer to connect to account server and char select screen.possibly start your research there!
    personally missed some daily master expeditions due to not being able to get back into instance after disconnect- mission will fail if leaving instance and get lost.
    pls fix this
  • eoleeeolee Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    Probably im wrong, but the lag consistent in this game is what is going to push out the remaining players like me trying to give you and this game an other chance over and over. How is that possible that the dungeon we all wait since 2 weeks and more even before is laggy as hell.
    What a disappointment. Im not sure what you guys tried to fix but it didnt work, i dont see an improvment.
  • rudel1rudel1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    years ago,when i start to play the game i did like it,very much,but when they came out with mod 16,they HAMSTER it completely!
  • earlgreybeardearlgreybeard Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited May 2019

artifleur said:

when a warlock uses this daily after the 10s of activity the immolation spirits disappear but they only become invisible .. they no longer attack that I can see but they do lose hp as you can see their hp bars around you but not their skin , that is until you log out /swap instance/ use a gate to another area etc.. there is also these zombies that look like they are from the AI quest in chult ,where they stand around the gate for the gate puzzle just before you fight the injured deep crow. These are also everywhere in increasing numbers.. they are not companions that I am aware of but you will also find the occasional lost pet (which also became a problem during the chult launch)

Guild Leader Den of the Misfits
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

artifleur said:

when a warlock uses this daily after the 10s of activity the immolation spirits disappear but they only become invisible .. they no longer attack that I can see but they do lose hp as you can see their hp bars around you but not their skin , that is until you log out /swap instance/ use a gate to another area etc.. there is also these zombies that look like they are from the AI quest in chult ,where they stand around the gate for the gate puzzle just before you fight the injured deep crow. These are also everywhere in increasing numbers.. they are not companions that I am aware of but you will also find the occasional lost pet (which also became a problem during the chult launch)

The zombies are not pets are the same zombie you call using the Thayan Book artifact...
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Fore me the Rubber banding is reduced but it still happens at times. And it is getting weird. i once stood still and rubber banded in a direction i was never traveling. it was as it i would slide 5 feet to the left ever few seconds.

at least those Hamstering Immolation spirits have stopped collecting around doors.... mostly.
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • teamstephonteamstephon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    are they really serious for tomorrow when they could of added Temple Intrustion Renaer's salvation to the list from AI what a HAMSTER joke this is
  • teamstephonteamstephon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    keep crashing to desktop today after patch notes where I can not play due to that really hope you can fix that crashing issue for how I wasn't havening it before
  • aelinazaelinaz Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I have been playing for many years and am perplexed that the dev's have made obtaining weapons a point of dumb luck. The MEs take time and the rewards are just not acceptable. When will it be possible to earn the weapons or purchase them. To repeat the same task over and over and expect a different outcome is definition of insanity. I have run well over 200 MEs ( 3 toons ) and always get same rewards - 2 blue and 1 purple ( pants etc) . They are refineable but the refinement points earned is really not worth the effort. Game play with no advancement potential ! SAD
  • armswiftarmswift Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have ran ME's about the time mod 16 was released and still have not got my sword.
  • ccynnccynn Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    ive posted this same comment numerous times and even though the devs make it perfectly clear they dont care i will continue to post it until i finally quit playing. why do you do the maint at this time? you and i both know there is less traffic on the servers if you did it around midnight the night before. many ppl play in the morning, and for my case its the only time i get to play. eventually ill just move on and find something else to do with my time since you guys obviously dont care about it. saddest part is you guys never even bother to try and explain why im wrong if you feel i am, you just ignore it. fantastic business model you have there.
  • deaddregerdeaddreger Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    ccynn said:

ive posted this same comment numerous times and even though the devs make it perfectly clear they dont care i will continue to post it until i finally quit playing. why do you do the maint at this time? you and i both know there is less traffic on the servers if you did it around midnight the night before. many ppl play in the morning, and for my case its the only time i get to play. eventually ill just move on and find something else to do with my time since you guys obviously dont care about it. saddest part is you guys never even bother to try and explain why im wrong if you feel i am, you just ignore it. fantastic business model you have there.

lol, when I do critical/extended updates to my systems I have to get to bed very early and try to get some sleep and be up by 12am EST so I can do my updates at the lowest connection count time world-wide and do my utmost to be done with my updates by 4am, 5am latest and pray it doesn't go any longer. By 6am connection counts are on the rise and we get a minor peak around 8-9am. This is the time that people are getting in some time before work and school because the eastern edge of the US holds the largest amount of online gamers.. Things will taper off a little until 10am when the European gamers start picking up and getting out of school and work. Then around noon things are on a steady increase, specially with EU really playing and people on lunch breaks. Then by 4pm EST we're getting the largest spike of concurrent connection counts as kids are getting out of school and people are starting to get out of work and things are going strong. Eventually things taper off till 8ish when we get a medium hump from the west coast really picking up and that is finally on a decline by 10pm or so and down to 1-4am being the lowest activity hours and the bottom of the cycle.

As a matter of fact, for most of the world and the busiest servers, 1-4am EST is the best time to be doing backups and maintenance unless your server is focused on a specific location/timezone. Also, since I run multiple online games and servers, we NEVER do critical updates across all games unless absolutely necessary. This way, for those players who do play several of our games, they have an alternative game to work on when something else is down for an extended time.

Basically, it all boils down to money and risk. We're loosing the least amount of money planning outages for 1-4am EST, as well as gaining the fewest amount of new players at these hours overall. Then there's the risk... If I royally botch a major server update, be it hardware or software, I stand the best opportunity of recovering long before things are hot and heavy and people are screaming and any possible tech support I might require that the midnight shift couldn't handle at our datacenter right as the day shift is getting in. And, things have to be back up and humming by 1pm EST or heads are rolling!

So yeah, I couldn't imagine working for Cryptic and I can't fathom their business practices and the risks they take doing their outages how and when they do. I'm small-time, yet I have to pull a midnight shift and that's just the nature of the beast. If I were NWO/STO's publisher or a CEO/CFO/CTO in any of their companies I'd would be chopping off heads for so many reasons till Cryptic's horrible practices were taken care of! I'd be throwing so many graphs of so many things in so many peoples faces, they'd surely hate me.

Then again, what do I know? lol. Surely not much as I'm not as big a player as these guys :) I too just get annoyed when I see how and what they do when it could be so much better. And no disrespect to anyone's timezone, I just happen to be in EST and EST happens to be the largest MMOG market. So... *comfort* ccynn, I feel your pain ;) Maybe moreso lol.
    WAI - Neverwinter fools!!!!!!
  • valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    Game is crashing a lot after last patch usually right after loading into a rlq or higher.
  • trollbane#1951 trollbane Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2019
    Update Patch keeps timing out so I can never get in to play.... Suggestions? {and don't say faster internet - I stream hulu while 3 people play Diablo 3 without issues/lags/etc.}
  • aaron#1767 aaron Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    since the 27th of june i have has such horrible lag and disconects i cant even play the game. I can log in but I get disconnected every few min. I just spent $200 on this game so i could get through Undermountain on a new chartecter. I realy regretting it now. The first two daysd i played i had no lag at all and everything was great but by the 27th it was unplayable. I am also playing Warframe WoW and ESO and have no lag problems with any of them.
  • luthor#3134 luthor Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I've noticed a change in neverwinters player dynamic since latest update. There are alot of people who enjoy the visual presence ingame. If it's limited to 20 players per channel/instance... it looks dead... especially in bigger towns like protectors enclave. This might be done due to combat server lag etc, but think about it for a moment. This can't be a long-term solution to this problem. It's a core feature of an mmo-rpg, where people actively interact with others. An instance of just 19-20 people, sometimes even less, just looks really dead. Especially in bigger towns like Protectors enclave. it is the visual presence of characters that are missing. Channel chats won't help. I think people will notice this in the next few days and weeks.

Also it has a negative impact on Newcomers as well. They will start wondering where all the people gone or thinking, there aren't many people playing it.
    Post edited by luthor#3134 on
  • epimedes1epimedes1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    This lag issue is becoming real old now. I pay good money for this game and I expect it to be maintained to a respectable standard. Right now I can login and play the game but the rubber band thing renders the game unplayable. I stopped playing for a few months because of it and I returned a couple weeks ago but nothing has changed. If ESO can deal with lag, why can't Cryptic? Very poor customer service and I am heartily sick of it.
  • nightelven#9514 nightelven Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    so many angry people... and very sad ...this game "was" great.... now more problems than ever...hope Cryptic can get their heads together and fix this...before too late :(