test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are the Dev's playtesting anything?

merik1999merik1999 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
edited May 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
These Bugs and Awful math skills are glaringly obvious. There is Absolutely no way the Dev team is play testing anything. I am a software engineer and I would be fired, and have fired people for making such mistakes continuously without listening to anyone's complaints nor play-testing their codes. Also, there is little to no acknowledgement of game bugs.

Comments

• tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    I get the feeling that, every couple months, Cryptic lets another programmer go, and instead hires another accountant, middle manager, or 'game designer' who flunked math and got C's in English, but passed a course in creative writing. After all, programmers are expensive!

I understand that the budget isn't always there, most companies make do with less staff than they really need etc. But when you have designers that can't design, coders that can't code, community managers that never seem to manage anything in the community, QA testers that miss every flaw even the most obvious... well it's pretty clear that any money we put into the game isn't being used to maintain the quality of the game.

But there's some happy accountants, middle managers and game 'designers' out there, I guess.
  • aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2019

I get the feeling that, every couple months, Cryptic lets another programmer go, and instead hires another accountant, middle manager, or 'game designer' who flunked math and got C's in English, but passed a course in creative writing. After all, programmers are expensive!

I understand that the budget isn't always there, most companies make do with less staff than they really need etc. But when you have designers that can't design, coders that can't code, community managers that never seem to manage anything in the community, QA testers that miss every flaw even the most obvious... well it's pretty clear that any money we put into the game isn't being used to maintain the quality of the game.

But there's some happy accountants, middle managers and game 'designers' out there, I guess.

Sir, as someone that passed numerous creative writing classes, I take offense at this. Because while I might not be able to code anymore, I have more self awareness than a gerbil and can tell that things have gone pear shaped here. :p

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    No, they obviously are not testing much :)

If you look at the big picture, what I see is:
    * Solo content is somewhat tested and does not have that many glaring bugs
    * Group content seems to be not tested at all
    * Performance issues seems to be not tested at all. But I'll admit it is very difficult to test performance issues except on loaded servers, which means in production. Stress-testing such a system outside production is too complicated and expensive, and that is usually only done on new systems before launch.

What I think happens is:
    NW team is so reduced they only got 1-2 people on QA. They can do an OK job on testing solo content.
    However, how do you properly test group content with only 1-2 people?

I think the organisational structure at Cryptic now makes it very difficult to test group content properly.
  • aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    merik1999 said:

aratech said:

Sir, as someone that passed numerous creative writing classes, I take offense at this. Because while I might not be able to code anymore, I have more self awareness than a gerbil and can tell that things have gone pear shaped here. :p

That is because you are a gamer. The programmers they currently have are not gamers and are not testing their codes because they don't like games. I work with good programmers who hate Games. And they have worked for companies like EA. They said they write the code and test it with their program or code checkers to make sure the code works as designed. But they don't test the game so they have no idea how the product plays. That is for the QA team. The QA team is the least paid team in the company and typically all they do is rerun the Code checking software and for games, look at the overall designs and artwork. So no one tests. and we get this garbage. As stated above they are just moving sliders around and guessing without even logging in to play.
    Wow.

There's....there's an awwwwwwwwffful lot that just started to make sense here. Not just in this game. But industry wide. Thank you.
  • merik1999merik1999 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    When they make statements like "that SHOULD" or "you SHOULD see", means they are using sliders or adjusting formulas. But they won't read this or take it serious...just us venting...
  • wisper2048wisper2048 Member Posts: 187 Arc User

- Manycoins skirmish: people immediately abandon when it comes up on RIQ. No use even trying. No fix so far, no ETA

Not completely true. We managed to complete it when we got it on RIQ yesterday: 2 heals (DC and SW(me)), 1 tank, and 2 dps. I guess this is meta for heist. We have barely made bronze on second attempt, first attempt failed because tank did not understand ball mechanics.

• elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 51 Arc User

- Manycoins skirmish: people immediately abandon when it comes up on RIQ. No use even trying. No fix so far, no ETA

Not completely true. We managed to complete it when we got it on RIQ yesterday: 2 heals (DC and SW(me)), 1 tank, and 2 dps. I guess this is meta for heist. We have barely made bronze on second attempt, first attempt failed because tank did not understand ball mechanics.

What is the point of a intermediate dungeon/skirmish which can be barelly completed by a meta team only? If it would be a master mode I would somehow understand it, but this?
  • wisper2048wisper2048 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    elsunga said:

What is the point of a intermediate dungeon/skirmish which can be barelly completed by a meta team only? If it would be a master mode I would somehow understand it, but this?
    A bit of sarcasm was lost I guess. However, notethat when someone say that heist is completely unplayable, developer's will check statistics and they will see that some groups complete it (like ours). So they will say it is WAI or "learn to play", and they will close the issue.
  • cabar1cabar1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 124 Arc User
    I was told they do play the game, but maybe GOD MODE makes it easy for them, and they are not concerned about the 'little people' who play!
    99 lines of code on the wall, 99 lines of code, add one line, compile it again....... 113 lines on code on the wall
    113 lines of code on the wall, 113 lines of code, rewrite one line, compile it again.......
    Wait For It