test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't kill Arcturia, I am sure you've heard it before.

devnullloredevnulllore Member Posts: 160 Arc User
As the title says I can't kill her. I am a LVL 80 DPS pally w/13+K gear and this LVL 75 boss(ete) beats me in 3 hits. This is a quest ender. How do I progress beyond this. LSG's never works as no one ever wants to join or party up anymore. If anyone can help me here please let me know. I will group up with you anytime.

Cheers,
Ulfrik Dragonsyre
Hero of Neverwinter
Retribution Paladin of the realm
Siring quality Dragons for mounts and pets

Comments

• devnullloredevnulllore Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Mind you I could do better with the gear but I have had no problems with the build I have up till now.

Cheers,
    Ulfrik Dragonsyre
    Hero of Neverwinter
    Retribution Paladin of the realm
    Siring quality Dragons for mounts and pets
  • itzlapolaloltzitzlapolaloltz Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Right she hits hard. You have no solution but to make party.
  • wisper2048wisper2048 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    I soloed it on ranger and rogue. It is tough, but doable if hard-hitting power are selected and a lot of potions (lv 80 heal potion would help you much). Pallies could have a trouble with it, as their dps is lower on both tank and heal, and mobility is no so good to kite and heal with potions and I do not remember immunity frames for them.
  • nemesrichnemesrich Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    I did it with the healer pally. You have to move constantly when not blocking and spam that smites and block with Channel divinity (feat needed). I did it 2nd try although had to use potions constantly.
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    you're just gonna love the last dragon battle

and dragging that dragon into the light
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

Yeah that dragon is like a dump puppy that gets distracted at everything else other than you holding a snack in your hand..

*whistle whistle* "come on, come get it, step into the light.." *light disappears*

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I think the real "fun" is running into the new (?) vampire enemies the first time while doing the quests leading up to the dragon encounter... hey look, the area is clear and i can just go to the quest spot, wait for the "dragon and man talk scene" to start again before i can interact with the quest marker and then be on my way out.

*wush* vampires appear out of thin air and start kicking my character into the dirt while teleporting every bloody second around me, and while i'm fighting against this HAMSTER my companion just wanders off to collect a few more vampire groups to the fight.
    Started to use a Health Stone in the beginning in hope of getting through that bloody fight, but that was rather pointless, the constant chain of "crowd control" abilities fired from enemies is just insane.

Fun times! :/

Anyway, got through this HAMSTER by pulling one vampire group after the other in a corner and killing them there during the next "run", which wasn't that much fun as Paladin either... btw. i did Arcturia as Justicar somewhere between level 74-78 and i really though that was the low point of the campaign, but oh boy was i wrong, they really managed to "improve" the Barovian vampires from being really annoying to bloody frustrating in Undermountain.

So, good job on that one i guess...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Yes, arcturia is by far the hardest fight in the Undermountain campaign (something which I find illogical - the final Shadow dragon should be harder, but that's really not the case.)

Anyhow, just team up with someone else...things will get easier afterwards.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    The vampire fight (Keresta Delvingstone) at the very end just before the shadow dragon is the hardest fight in the entire campaign. In fact, it's the only one that legit killed me (other deaths were more me not paying full attention... aka watching netflix on other monitor). Normally, NW isn't challenging enough to demand 100% attention aside from boss fight - including the m16 changes, but that fight.. wow.
    Post edited by kvet on
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Not to take the thread away from OP, but @Kvet I think you might be taking multi tasking to a new level. :p

Back to the OP, I wish I had better advice than to use a party or stone of health. I haven't worked on my pally build yet, and my runs with a Rogue and Ranger won't help. Those builds are mobility based, and that seemed to work ok. But those two areas (Arcturia and Vampire fight) are the most difficult. A few of the real beholders are annoying because they have so many hit points, but they are manageable. I would recommend running the final dragon with out an 'active' companion (use an augment instead)--Active Companions are so limited in AI that all they do is run to attack the dragon and then it won't move into the light.
    Post edited by aslan3775 on
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    I'm a CW running an Arcanist build and I use an augment companion. At that time, I was still using my level 70 gear loadout (I might have switch out for higher level rings... can't remember). I recall in beta, the Arcturia fight caused me problems, but I didn't have any issues at all with it on Live. All the adds make that fight hard, so the more you can keep them from surrounding you the better. That's hard with melee fighters though (hence @aslan3775's mention of mobility-based classes). I wish I'd taken a video, I didn't realize that fight was giving people problems.
  • prethenprethen Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    I believe with this fight, it allowed me to die and then fighter her again without her health recovering. I dragged her close to the respawn point and eventually took her down. Sort of feels like cheating though.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    krumple01 said:

Yeah that dragon is like a dump puppy that gets distracted at everything else other than you holding a snack in your hand..

*whistle whistle* "come on, come get it, step into the light.." *light disappears*

I noticed while helping a friend with their completion that his AI is broken by being attacked. If you simply stand near the light and wait for him to run over without hitting him on the way, he generally complies.

EDIT: As for Arcturia, I just did that fight on my 18k, not-terribly-optimized Justicar Paladin. It involved a bit of shielding and having to move out of her frequent AoEs, but alternating between turtling and Smiting her was effective. Also nuked her down with Bane when I lost patience with her standing in her own AoEs.
    Post edited by vorphied on
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Never had any issues with Keresta herself but if you don't kill all the nearby mobs before approaching the throne, that can make things much harder.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    edited May 2019
    Well, the vampire lady did hardly anything against my Paladin, that was one boring fight in the end, but in another run with my Warlock after they patched the rewards into the campaign quest Keresta did fight - i guess they patched her up too.

My Fighter (Dreadnought) reached Arcturia with level 80, full Spy's Guild armor set, Blackened Jaw weapons, 2x Ebonized Assault Rings, Lillend as active companion, buff food and a Greater Stone of Health... fight was done within seconds, didn't use a single potion or one charge of the stone.

Not sure if they adjusted Arcturia with a recent patch, or if some classes/paths just have it easier against her.
    Want to know why?
  • cheerz4beerzcheerz4beerz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    She has a very small health pool. So if you pop everything at the start of the fight she drops fast. If you wait and let her AP drain your daily away you are going to have a bad time.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    My 16K SW (no boon, no new gear, not enough accuracy) deal with her without problem. The dragon is painfully long because by the time I baited the dragon close to the beam, the beam was gone. Then, it took forever for it to appear. Then, same thing happened, again and again and again ......
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I have killed Arcturia solo on 3 characters. Died once on first character(CW) while figuring her out. Lowest was my 14k DC.

Trick seems to be to keep your distance. Use ranged attacks or rush in-offload encounters-rush out. Don't stay close to her so she can melee you.
    edited May 2019
    Using the Celeste/Selune light ability next to the dragon will damage it for a bit, and i think it also helps with triggering the next beam... or at least it felt like it during my last run.

But i really can't understand why the Devs designed the dragon fight that way... why not have the players stand in the beam to "empower" their attacks so that they can damage the dragon instead? That would make the whole thing less frustrating.
    Want to know why?