test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make Difficulty a Choice - Reward the Brave

quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
I was thinking (surprising I know), and I figure, we have this button when we queue for content that allows us to set some different levels of difficulty, why not expand on that feature a little, allowing groups to set different levels of difficulty and at the same time, increase rewards in the end chests?

One problem many players have, is it is too hard, where before it was too easy. Solution, make difficulty a choice. Who wants to practice self flagellation? Well, put a big juicy carrot at the end of the stick and you'll find out who the brave are. However different levels of difficulty are implemented is up to the devs, but easy, (once scaling is really working), scale down more for higher difficulty, with insane mode have the most scaling and allow no deaths, but give good rewards, something to make it worth it, worth spending 2 hours in a dungeon for.

One thing I would like to see, is a way to "exalt" old artifacts, weapon sets, and artifact equipment to be at the same ilvl as whatever is current. You (the devs) could place some of the mats as drops for the higher difficulty settings, and/or also put some in mw professions. Set it up so that it's future proof, so say current ilvl is 'C', and last mod the ilvl is 'B', and before that 'A'. Well, to get you gear from B to C, you have to have already gotten your gear from A to B and from lets call it 'prime' (original ilvl) to A. Make sense so stages *prime -> A -> B -> C -> ... -> Z. This way, all old sets remain relevant, we have incentive to replay old content at higher difficulty levels, and you (the devs) don't have to make a 'new' version of something that's already been done (but slightly different).

Comments

• cassandaracassandara Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Not sure why people like you say the game was to easy. I bet you had a nice pet, super awesome enchants, heck probably insane weapons and armor. But you say was too easy. Um why did you have all that HAMSTER if it made the game too easy? Remove your enchants, stow away your best armor/weapons. Give your pet the day off. Why should other people be punished because of people like you? You cried, you complained, you whined, ITS TOO EASY. But did you once use your brain? You yourself could have made the game more of a challenge all by your little self. Now the game is ruined for a lot people because of people like you. Awesome job.
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User

Not sure why people like you say the game was to easy. I bet you had a nice pet, super awesome enchants, heck probably insane weapons and armor. But you say was too easy. Um why did you have all that HAMSTER if it made the game too easy? Remove your enchants, stow away your best armor/weapons. Give your pet the day off. Why should other people be punished because of people like you? You cried, you complained, you whined, ITS TOO EASY. But did you once use your brain? You yourself could have made the game more of a challenge all by your little self. Now the game is ruined for a lot people because of people like you. Awesome job.

The only reason someone would want it to be harder is that they want better rewards in the game. They haven't given any better rewards which is why people aren't happy with making the content harder everywhere.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    I agree. They tried to lower power variability through nerfing (huge surprise hah) but it's not enough. They just need to find a clever way to work choice back into dungeon difficulty.

They basically did this with the card system, and also to some extent with Master Expeditions. They should just extend it out to dungeons as well, dropping the based difficulty but allowing folks to ratchet it up.

The biggest issue would probably be how it would interact with the queue system. Perhaps they could have free dungeon mods attached to RIQ/RAQ or something like that within some level of difficulty, and would drop harder mods that could be used in private queues.

The only reason someone would want it to be harder is that they want better rewards in the game. They haven't given any better rewards which is why people aren't happy with making the content harder everywhere.

Hmm so the people that said it was too easy want better rewards. Most of the crybabies I have seen its not about better rewards, its that the game play is too easy. And if you have the latest end game content, there is no better reward. Now that they have made it a lot harder you are seeing some people saying ok but give us better rewards. But since everything scales getting better look is a bunch of hogwash. IT ALL SCALES, THERE IS NO BETTER. Wow really this needs to be spelled out for you?
    Getting gear at level 50,000,000,000 apiece will make no difference as it is scaled to the mobs you are fighting. Really could not figure that out on your own? And as far as too easy take off your weapons, armor, enchants ect.
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Hmm so the people that said it was too easy want better rewards. Most of the crybabies I have seen its not about better rewards, its that the game play is too easy. And if you have the latest end game content, there is no better reward. Now that they have made it a lot harder you are seeing some people saying ok but give us better rewards. But since everything scales getting better look is a bunch of hogwash. IT ALL SCALES, THERE IS NO BETTER. Wow really this needs to be spelled out for you?
    Getting gear at level 50,000,000,000 apiece will make no difference as it is scaled to the mobs you are fighting. Really could not figure that out on your own? And as far as too easy take off your weapons, armor, enchants ect.

If they make everything too hard they know that the next step is to get better rewards out of Cryptic or for them to scale the content to what it should be at. With more people complaining on it being too hard and rewards not matching effort they think that the masses pushing for that will get them better rewards. Those that have been asking for better rewards individually have been met with no results to this point. The people asking for harder end game aren't in this group I am talking about or most of them aren't. That group should have the end game become harder to make it more fun for those players but the reason for the end game not being hard was due to the fact that buffs were too powerful. Removing the buffs or scaling them down would have been enough to make the end game hard without the scaling at all. They just double dipped and added scaling and removed buffs at the same time making most of the game unplayable for the player base.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    @cassandara I think you're missing the point. Aside from bugged mobs, environmental effects, and other mechanics not being properly adjusted to the new system, one of the design goals was to make the content more difficult so that people would actually have to play their roles and think about their actions. That's fine and all, but when it takes over an hour to run a dungeon from 6 mods ago, just to get a blood ruby and 10k rad, it's not worth the time to run that content. They implemented random queues because they want people to run old content. So, they clearly have the desire for players to run older dungeons and skirmishes, and they want to make sure it remains at a set difficulty level, *but* they haven't adjusted the rewards. I'm not just talking about rad or rps, but loot drops as well. What you might get an artifact or materials to restore a weapon set that's 5+ mods old? Even if the gear has a good set bonus, the stats the gear provides are so sub par, it's really hard to justify equipping it, making it worthless. I could care less if I got 3k rad from tong run, if there was a way to further exalt the primal weapons to be at the same item-level as current weapons. I also really like the set bonus on the Fey and Burning weapons from CA and EE campaigns, but again, the weapon damage and stats they provide is just too low to justify ever using them again. Maybe if players could get those weapons at the new ilvl, people would actually really really want to run the old content, and wouldn't care if it took an hour or more.

Another point, is that not everyone is end game, not everyone has the skill to run dungeon X at difficulty Y, so if they had the choice to run it in 'easy' mode, they could do that to learn the dungeon mechanics, learn their class mechanics, and earn some modest rewards to start building in-game wealth. This would be very new player friendly so that they don't get stuck in something that's too difficult because end-game players were complaining the game was too easy.

A lot of games have different difficulty setting, and many give different rewards for completing the game in higher difficulty settings, like new skins, new weapons, titles, accomplishments, trophies, stuff like that, whatever makes sense for that game. I don't see why it's so far fetched to think something like that could belong in NW.

@cassandara I think you're missing the point. Aside from bugged mobs, environmental effects, and other mechanics not being properly adjusted to the new system, one of the design goals was to make the content more difficult so that people would actually have to play their roles and think about their actions. That's fine and all, but when it takes over an hour to run a dungeon from 6 mods ago, just to get a blood ruby and 10k rad, it's not worth the time to run that content. They implemented random queues because they want people to run old content. So, they clearly have the desire for players to run older dungeons and skirmishes, and they want to make sure it remains at a set difficulty level, *but* they haven't adjusted the rewards. I'm not just talking about rad or rps, but loot drops as well. What you might get an artifact or materials to restore a weapon set that's 5+ mods old? Even if the gear has a good set bonus, the stats the gear provides are so sub par, it's really hard to justify equipping it, making it worthless. I could care less if I got 3k rad from tong run, if there was a way to further exalt the primal weapons to be at the same item-level as current weapons. I also really like the set bonus on the Fey and Burning weapons from CA and EE campaigns, but again, the weapon damage and stats they provide is just too low to justify ever using them again. Maybe if players could get those weapons at the new ilvl, people would actually really really want to run the old content, and wouldn't care if it took an hour or more.

Another point, is that not everyone is end game, not everyone has the skill to run dungeon X at difficulty Y, so if they had the choice to run it in 'easy' mode, they could do that to learn the dungeon mechanics, learn their class mechanics, and earn some modest rewards to start building in-game wealth. This would be very new player friendly so that they don't get stuck in something that's too difficult because end-game players were complaining the game was too easy.

A lot of games have different difficulty setting, and many give different rewards for completing the game in higher difficulty settings, like new skins, new weapons, titles, accomplishments, trophies, stuff like that, whatever makes sense for that game. I don't see why it's so far fetched to think something like that could belong in NW.

Ok I see your point somewhat. But if they upgrade the loot to just what is available endgame the point would be? If it has the same stat range its the same thing. If you like the look, you can transmute. So I really do not see what you are saying. Running an older dungeon is cool, but it is a lower level dungeon. People don't run it because it has lower level loot. Well yea, it is a lower level dungeon. A lot of what I am seeing in these message boards is that some people are happy with the harder content. They could have done that all by there lil ol lonesome without making the game much harder for everyone. As for me I will just collect my daily key till my VIP runs out. That's it for me unless the fix this garbage. Not everyone is a gaming god like you. Not everyone likes the way this game is going. The way this game is going is in no way has anything to do with Dungeons and Dragons. Giving better loot in no way makes up for all that they have done negatively to this game. If you like this great. Lots of people will be leaving. Your ok with that. Good for you.