test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

easy solution for scaling

onlymatonlymat Member Posts: 350 Arc User
I think the easiest solution for scaling would be to only scale weapon Damage?
Everything is calculated by weapon Damage - so if this gets scaled down alot you get less Damage less heals and so on.

But it would still be usefull to upgrade your gear your stats and so on. And if you scale it % based - the upgrade to next weapons would not make such a big difference - but still People would feel that they are stronger if they invest in Gear Enchantements and so on.

Hard caps are stupid because why grind out the newest gear why upgrade gems? it get downscaled to a fix number - just stupid!

Comments

• rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Well, to not make it as miserable as it is, but still keep the maps somehow challenging, you would have to set (for each class separately) both the maximum weapon damage and maximum health for each possible map lvl.
    If your actual numbers would be higher, it would be cut down to the predefined max. Yep, that would work like charm. And you would actually feel that higher stats comming from better gear make your fight somehow easier. (till you are capped, of course)

Probably one more thing - for the really low level instances you should be careful how is the Power stat counted, as I think it has a little bit different setting, but that is it.

Just finding of the correct numbers might take some time - well, good start would be looking at the original reward gear of each campaign and actually sum it up...
  • onlymatonlymat Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    rikitaki said:

Well, to not make it as miserable as it is, but still keep the maps somehow challenging, you would have to set (for each class separately) both the maximum weapon damage and maximum health for each possible map lvl.
    If your actual numbers would be higher, it would be cut down to the predefined max. Yep, that would work like charm. And you would actually feel that higher stats comming from better gear make your fight somehow easier. (till you are capped, of course)

no it would be much easier - only wepon Damage scaled for example 50 % less.
    So for example your wepon Damage is 4000 you Play lostmouth and it is scaled to 2000 (50%)
    Your Damage your heals your everything would be much lower - but your stats like power hitpoints arm pen stay the same.
    So you want to upgrade it. And because it´s percentage based it would be the same for all classes. The best Thing is:
    You farm for new weapons in a new mod - weapon Damage now increases to 4200 (for your class) in lostmouth you would have 2100 then (this way you would feel that you get stronger and there is no waste of any stats you Progress but not too fast.

The developers only Need to define the percentage in Dungeons and in lower lvl Areas - so ist very easy to support.

Developers have enough time adding other new Content while give out new weapons new gear and so on.

I own a 18.3 k do dc and a 17.6k cw. I refuse to be in a Castle never and Need 1 hour because my stats there are fixed. I will not Play These Dungeons anymore if it gets released like this.

People NEED to feel that they are stronger - and most important lower lvl guys neeed to see how much difference of a Performance it makes to have a huigh lvl toon - this is the only way to encourage People to upgrade because they want to be this strong like this OP guy they met in a dungeon.

• rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    You took me wrong - I do not try to oppose you. You generally came with the same idea as me when I first saw the scaling mess.
    If you hardcap weapon dmg for each map lvl, your dmg, healing - everything will be scaled down. But the additional stats would still play the role - will determine, how much crit you do, your damage resistance... you know, the rest of the character that stayes worth pursuing.
    (Just saying that for the challenging aspect you have to hardcap the health too, as it would not bide well to run in lvl 1 map with 500k HP. - once again, tank probably is supposed to have more HP than a glass-cannon, but not half a million in the lvl 1 map)

And when I am saying it would take time to figure out the correct numbers, I am not saying that it would take the same amount or even more time then the "fine-tuning" they are trying to do now.

I wrote it elsewhere, they are scaling all the stats down, which does not make sense - if you are capped end game char, you should stay capped in supposedly less demanding areas. All you need to make the lower lvl somehow challenging is to scale weapon dmg, health - and may be somehow keep the Power in check.

I personally am not against dungeon taking an hour to pass - under the condition that if you have spent an hour vigorously trying and finally the dungeon is beaten, there should be reward adequate the difficulty. On he other hand I think people sometimes seek out areas that are easy and relaxing - even if those do not bring the most desired rewards... at least I do.
  • aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    onlymat said:

rikitaki said:

no it would be much easier - only wepon Damage scaled for example 50 % less.

Problem: level 80 weapons do not do twice the damage of level 70 weapons. At least none that I've seen so far. Ergo, you still get punished/crippled for being overleveled.
  • aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    bobo#5090 said:

Easiest solution for scaling is to REMOVE IT.

Much as I am inclined to agree with you, I increasingly have the sneaking suspicion that they cannot. Literally. With every new debacle that comes to light, the ineptitude of the handling of this module for everyone who *wasn't* in the Story/Campaign Plot and Art departments (which were quite good, and I rather like Undermountain's tale), it would not surprise me to discover that something about the way that the scaling was coded into this new system means that it fundamentally cannot be removed from the new system without breaking it.

It would be rather par for the course right now....
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    Well they are "removing" Barovia scaling.

Now if this is actually "removing" as we understand the word then I believe this will cause a snowball effect. Thomas mentioned it specifically during the dev stream, so they have at least acknowledged so far that it has failed in Barovia. The problem is, the scaling in Barovia isn't the only place it is experienced to be far worse than it should be.

But then again I honestly don't believe they will remove it, I bet instead they will just try to tweak it a bit but keep it in this way they can use it to bolster their future responses to remove other areas of the game that are overly difficult when they shouldn't be.