test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The stat issue...

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
This was just posted:

Is it possible to have some answer from DEVS about this new setup to initial STATS? Why? There is some way to change it or it is definitive?

Ability Score rolls during character creation are not coming back for M16.

There are no current plans to go back to variable ability score bonuses based on class.

Players will still have 20 ability score points that they choose where to allocate between racial choice, leveling up, and equipment.

The paladin initial ability score distribution will be looked at this week and probably adjusted some.
It is pretty clear that Arbiter is going to get stick with the highest numbe in WIS, and that is going to be an useless stat.

I do not like having my favourite class being treated like this, and this is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

Have fun playing your clerics everyone....I'll be moving somewhere else.
Hoping for improvements...

Comments

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    I hear you, it sucks they are removing build variety by restricting ability rolls. I think they are doing it for the same reason they are removing feat options and generally "reducing complexity" -- namely making balance more manageable on a small team.

That said, they have repeatedly said they want Arbiter to be competitive as a top damage dealer. So if every DC has lower % bonuses in ability rolls, then we can reasonably argue for higher magnitudes across the board.

I kind of understand their desire to stop additional sources of damage variability like stat distribution because it's just another source of imbalance to mange. As long as the end result is competitive damage output to other DPS classes, the awkward / meaningless ability rolls are kind of a small price to pay in my opinion.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I saw the multiple posts about this, but I'm not sure why this is such important issue. At least per the numbers, all the ability score are mostly meaningless in m16, so having it one stat or the other, will be about 2% difference? Even if they do whatever stat allocation we choose, the initial roll difference is relatively low.

I don't know why the devs are so adamant about this, they could just do what most of the games do, make it all start at 8 (or whatever number) and give 20 (or some number) points to spread, with some ability to re-spec.
    And it can be meaningful, with both ability to allocate and higher percent it will be a customization thing, and a good thing, but right now? Allocation one way or another just doesn't make much of a difference. I think if to do something about them, then it's either both (effectiveness and ability to pick) or neither.

But in any case, I apologize if I sound dismissive, truly not my intention but except that ability score are a core thing in PnP, in the game now, there are way worse issues, IMO, mostly the lackluster game-play for many classes. Heals that still not needed, or you can just spam them blindly, or Rogues that just bad, and work only due to 2-3 'features'.
    There is a lot to do to make this playable, and I don't think the ability score changes those core issues one way or another.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    adinosii said:

This was just posted:

Is it possible to have some answer from DEVS about this new setup to initial STATS? Why? There is some way to change it or it is definitive?

Ability Score rolls during character creation are not coming back for M16.

There are no current plans to go back to variable ability score bonuses based on class.

Players will still have 20 ability score points that they choose where to allocate between racial choice, leveling up, and equipment.

The paladin initial ability score distribution will be looked at this week and probably adjusted some.
    It is pretty clear that Arbiter is going to get stick with the highest numbe in WIS, and that is going to be an useless stat.

I do not like having my favourite class being treated like this, and this is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

Have fun playing your clerics everyone....I'll be moving somewhere else.
    Game is being simplified. It is now trying to appeal to a wider audience; specifically players from Call of Duty, Destiny, etc... The funny thing is players from Destiny will find combat boring and tedious and will not stick around.

Instead of simply fixing the issues with buffs, debuff, and doing some modifications around companions we get a overhaul that takes our ability to design builds and throws those builds out the window. Who is to blame for this chaos? The developers as it is their product and all the things up to mod 15 was their own creation just like mod 16 is.

Bottom line for me is all my friends just quit. Every single one of them hates mod 16. They say it is stupid and ruined any enjoyment they had with NWO. That was a full guild and players within the alliance.

I'm holding out hope but the more I play the more I dislike these changes and if combat doesn't improve, meaning quicker use of our abilities than the game will lose even more players because it really puts a damper on being able to move from one set of adds to the next as you end up waiting for cooldown and than if you are unlucky you may get stuck fighting the set you just killed; not all that great of an experience.

I want variety in how I build my characters from ability scores to additional feats. I want my character to be where my abilities come from, not a companion offering it to me. That is just lame and another way for the devs to SELL stuff to us.

Not sure how the testers who signed a NDA feel but most of the players I talk to who have played for more than a year are more than likely quitting.

• repodicusrepodicus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Well I try out the new changes. I really like the 4th edition DND rules, moving away from them is a detractor for me. I really like playing a battle cleric. Wading in and slapping some damage down with a side effect of splashing health out to my compatriots.

Having an armor class stat made the game feel like DND too, now it's gone. I don't even know what happened to the gear where I had the ac bonus before, did the defense just get raised higher? Ohhh soo much change for something that played so well.
  • jercules#5883 jercules Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I loved playing DC before this mod. It now feels clunky and somewhat useless in dungeons as the divinity regen isnt fast enough. I find myself spamming at-wills and hoping I can find a safe spot to get some divinity back for the next heal.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    I generally don't have much of a problem with divinity, until fairly late in longer fights. Of course, I only usually use one power with a divinity cost (javelin). Sunburst, Javelin, Geas are my usual load out, with Lance / Conflag as at-wills. Open with Lances, Javelin, Conflag x2, Geas. Sunburst if mobs are in close. When Geas is on cool down, I can swap in a channel instead. It might not be the biggest burst DPS, but it keeps me in Divinity for most everything.